Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: I DREAM OF JEANNIE  (Read 30092 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I DREAM OF JEANNIE
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2006, 09:05:26 PM »

Had a full evening of video. I began with BILLY WILDER SPEAKS. While it was interesting, I was a tiny bit disappointed that so many films weren't mentioned or we barely touched on. I also thought there would be a little more scandal. The stories about the dozens of takes required for Marilyn to say "It's me, Sugar" and "Where is that bourbon" have been told endlessly (the number of takes has increased over the years). That little snippet about Tony Curtis' fear of being seen in women's clothes was the only really new factoid I gleaned from the interview. Had heard the Audrey Hepburn story before.

Was James Cagney a conservative Republican? If that's true, it was a surprise.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #211 on: June 23, 2006, 09:06:28 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Eight Dance!![/move]

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #212 on: June 23, 2006, 09:07:39 PM »

I think he drew Rerun all the way to the end. On my Peanuts daily calendar, I'm in the midst of the running jokes of Rerun wanting Snoopy to come out and play with him, and this calendar is using strips from the later years.

The syndicated newspaper strip has now gone much farther back in time. Sally Brown has just been born in the newspaper.

You are right. I just spent the last hour reading a wonderful FAQ site about Peanuts on the peanuts collector club website. Rerun disappeared for awhile then reappeared, aged up a bit, and appears even in the final strips.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: June 23, 2006, 09:07:50 PM »

Next came THAT NIGHT IN RIO. Another one of those stories that Fox managed to film multiple times, the Fox Movie Channel broadcast was very colorful. This will make a very good DVD if it's in the next wave of releases.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2006, 09:09:15 PM »

Condolences to TCB...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2006, 09:09:40 PM »

Just heard that Aaron Spelling has passed away
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: June 23, 2006, 09:09:48 PM »

Then, I watched CHARLIE CHAN CARRIES ON, the Spanish language version of a film that is lost in its English version. Entertaining enough, but I was disappointed I was wrong about the identity of the murderer.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #217 on: June 23, 2006, 09:10:22 PM »

I read Cagney on Cagney and I don't remember. If he was conservative, it was the type that would likely seem quite liberal today.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: June 23, 2006, 09:11:10 PM »

Sorry about your friend, DR TCB, but you got to say goodbye, and there is some comfort in that. I'm sure he knew how grateful you were to him for his friendship.

Many of us had someone like that in our lives apart from our parents.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #219 on: June 23, 2006, 09:11:16 PM »

I liked Dynasty and Charlie's Angels. Sometimes I liked Love Boat.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2006, 09:13:43 PM »

I read Cagney on Cagney and I don't remember. If he was conservative, it was the type that would likely seem quite liberal today.

I agree. I haven't read CAGNEY ON CAGNEY, but I do have a wonderful biography on him and will check on this tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2006, 09:15:23 PM »

Oh, I had no idea how late it is. I'm going to head for bed.

Good night, everyone.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2006, 09:19:31 PM »

Thank you all for your sympathies and your good wishes.  Tomorrow is not going to be easy, but I guess it is something I must do.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #223 on: June 23, 2006, 09:23:11 PM »

Is anyone familiar with a show called Fay?

I was doing some reading and it was quite controversial in its day.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #224 on: June 23, 2006, 09:23:42 PM »

TCB, I send good thoughts.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2006, 09:37:11 PM »

The one thing I do remember from Cagney on Cagney, regarding ONE TWO THREE is that Cagney hated Horst Bucholz.

Ben

« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2006, 10:24:45 PM »

Life kicks us in the butt every so often.

Love to Larry and TCB!

I'm up at 1:16am. I feel like BK waking up at 6am California time. I'm about to go to bed though. I have to meet a friend at the Greenmarket tomorrow morning at 9am. It's raining and humid here in Manhattan.

Rod and TP, if I had known you were in my neighborhood we could have had a bit to eat together.

And now, to bed. Good night all.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »

Vibes to Dr. Elmore...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2006, 10:47:35 PM »

DakotaCelt - Fay, starring Lee Grant?  I've heard of it, because one of my best friends and my muse is Margaret Willock, who was a regular in the show.  Without Margaret, none of my books would exist.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2006, 10:54:02 PM »

Yes, a professor i know at the university is doing a presentation on female portrayals in popular media.

She and I have been chatting on soaps and stuff. Very interesting lady and she has had a number of articles published in scholarly journals.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:54:40 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2006, 10:56:37 PM »

I am really enjoying the Kritzerland book I have and will defintely have to get the first two...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2006, 11:00:44 PM »

You have one of the Kritzer books and it's Kritzerland?  And you're reading that FIRST???

How far are you?  If not far, you should stop and get Benjamin Kritzer, the first book, which should be followed by Kritzerland, and then Kritzer Time.  They work much better when read in order, although they also work as stand alone books, I'm told.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2006, 11:05:05 PM »

about 20 pages.... I will stop and get Benjamin first...

it is Kritzerland....   it is good. you do a lovely job of painting the scenes and background.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2006, 11:07:29 PM »

I am also reading "There eyes were to God" by Zora Neale Thurston.. Interesting read.

I love reading a variety of things for it allows a person to explore cultures, ideas, concepts and my all time favorite reason - ESCAPE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2006, 11:12:11 PM »

Yes, definitely stop and read Benjamin first - it informs both sequels.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2006, 11:14:41 PM »

Looking forward to the DVD of Deceit.

Many of the matt fans on another message board are planning a 'viewing and chat party" I am sure we will all enjoy it and DR Stephanie, who saw it threes times has never let on at all. All she said that is excellent...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:16:17 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2006, 11:15:17 PM »

i will put that on my purchase list.... No libraries in the region have it...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2006, 11:20:14 PM »

I also hope to get the writers block one you have sometime down the road. I do writing as an escape and a way to put things in order.

It also cures boredom and keeps one active mentally.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2006, 11:22:25 PM »

My eyelids are getting very heavy and it has been a very long week... So I am sorry to say, I have to be a wussburger and gets some sleep.

Pleasant dreams Bruce and rest of the Hainsies and Kimlets.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up