Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HOT HEAT  (Read 20710 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:HOT HEAT
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 08:40:44 AM »

I'd have to say the most luxurious thing I treat myself to is the annual trip to London, England, with The Lovely Wife.  I refuse to travel coach that far and , so far, what with earned miles and two-for-one deals, we've always managed to go business class and have even once been bumped up to first class on Virgin Air which is great!  But business is luxurious enough.  We always stay in a flat right in the heart of theatreland, mostly one right on Upper St. Martin's Lane where we can walk everywhere in minutes.  I will also not stint on theatre tickets and will splurge on getting the best available.

Other luxuries I bestowed upon myself....Stays to San Ysidro Ranch and supping at their great restaurant, The Stonehouse, and a signed first edition of Tarzan of the Apes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 08:44:48 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Very groggy this morning.  It's already hot outside.  Must ungrog and then jog.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 09:01:42 AM »

Today is my "Friday"...the next five days are mine to do with as I please.

We have had blessedly cool nights all week...it makes for superb, luxurious sleeping.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 09:05:58 AM »

Speaking of luxury, I have done some things to treat myself well:

During my tour of duty in Naples, Italy (1987-1992), I treated myself  to a villa on a lake.  It WAS a luxury...quite a bit above what was "comfortable" to spend, but more than worth it for the joy it brought me...the comfort...the blissful feeling of waking up to a gorgeous day on a lake with cool breezes and a screened verandah on which I'd take my various repasts during my off-duty time (which was, believe it or not, generous).

In my small condo, there are small pleasures....like luxurious bath sheets and fine linens for my bed.  The true luxury, though, is the music and video that enters my life daily/weekly/monthly and the equipment on which it is played.

And then there is the theater, which is a luxury whether it's your life's ambition/vocation or simply a pleasure.  I've treated myself to some splendid (and so-so) entertainments over the past few years.

And then there is this Sunday when I will see Leslie Jordan in his one-man show "Like A Dog on Linoleum".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 09:11:58 AM »

I'm thinking of going to see X-MEN 3 this afternoon. It has finally come to the movie theater just a few blocks from the house, so I have no excuse now for not going to see it since I want to see it on the big screen.

I'm having lunch with friends today and will go after we finish (3:40 show) unless the lkunch runs long and I can't get there in time.

STAY UNTILTHE END OF THE CREDITS!!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 09:18:26 AM »

Hello all!  I'm feeling quite chipper today. Things are settling down at the office and I'm thoroughly enjoying not being in charge - a luxury if you ask me.  

Plus I'm starting my holiday weekend tomorrow by helping Paul paint the Saturday in the Park logo on the water tower again this year.  They are doing some real goofy stuff to it, but we had so much fun last year I'm really looking forward to it.  One day of painting with my artist friends followed by another day of painting while we are serenaded with live music all day and then can enjoy the evening with the Neville Brothers and ChucK Berry.   should be a good time

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 09:21:13 AM »

I can make a recommendation for a film that really is Hitchcockian.  I just got it on DVD from the recent Deep Discount DVD sale.  It's the very early Powell/Pressburger effort Contraband.  It takes about 20 minutes for the story to really kick in, but once it does, it's very reminiscent of The 39 Steps.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 09:27:09 AM »

STAY UNTILTHE END OF THE CREDITS!!!!!

I already knew to do that, but thanks for the reminder. I have no idea what's there (don't really know the basic plot of this one; have tried to stay "ignorant" of it to increase the potential pleasure), but I'm looking forward to seeing it, if not today, then at some point within the next week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 09:28:28 AM »

DR Ron, hope you enjoy your "luxurious" free time!  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 09:29:01 AM »

Luxuries....hmmm...I guess I look at living alone as a luxury all the time. Sure I have to do all the work, but I do pretty much what I want to do when I want to do it.  I still work, but I love working with my clients and now that I don't deal with being in charge of the petty everyday crap, it's not drudgery in any sence of the word.  Going back to work 3 weeks sooner than I had to tells me something. I like it here.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 09:39:24 AM »

One of my co-workers just brought

LibraryThing

to my attention.  It's a website where you can create a catalog of books (up to 200 for free, modest charge for more) and interact with other booklovers.  Seems very cool.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 10:16:26 AM »

Terrific news about your Da, DR Elmore!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 10:16:41 AM »

!!!!HE'S HOME!!!!

I still don't know how the hell I screwed up the other post!  I want my own computer!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 10:18:53 AM »

And then there is this Sunday when I will see Leslie Jordan in his one-man show "Like A Dog on Linoleum".

One of the characters of "The Great American Trailer Park Musical" remarks:

My friends call me Lin, but my full name is Linoleum because my mama gave birth to me on the kitchen floor

der Brucer

To help Granpas, et al., the CD bears a prominent "Parental Advisory - Explicit Content" label.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 10:19:14 AM »

If "lifestyle" issues are indeed a "luxury" as a few other DRs suggested, then my decision to walk away from a management track job so that I could continue to live a life that meant something to me was indeed a luxury! I've mentioned it before but I had a meltdown 11 years ago and if I hadn't walked away from that meltdown I would, most likely, not be posting on this here site. Because I made the choice I now have the "luxury" of a happy life, a wonderful husband and many friends. I would choose that over my old job any time  :)

Ben

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »

Larry, congrats on your father being home.

I knew you would fix that post eventually  ;)

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 10:22:39 AM »

!!!!HE'S HOME!!!!

I still don't know how the hell I screwed up the other post!  I want my own computer!

Yay!  Call us and you can come over and use a computer that's a lot like your own!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »

I'm listening to the OCR of The Fantasticks. Kenneth Nelson is singing Soon It's Gonna Rain. I will be seeing Mr. Nelson on screen tonight at Chelsea Classics Cinema. They are showing The Boys in the Band. While I have seen the movie many times it's great fun to see it on the big screen with a large "special interest" audience.

Ben

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 10:23:56 AM »

Yay!  Call us and you can come over and use a computer that's a lot like your own!

You Apple people! Stickin' together like it's some special club, tryin' to make the rest of us feel bad  ;)

Ben

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 10:24:29 AM »

I didn't post at all yesterday so I'm making up for it with a min-frenzy!

Ben

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2006, 10:25:29 AM »

And with that frenzy we are still on Page 2! Don't blame me if somebody gets slapped around a bit  :D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2006, 10:25:49 AM »

More illustrations from
"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner":

"AVON Calling":

The brown area is for boat loading and unloading only:

Who rescues the recuers?:

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2006, 10:36:52 AM »

TOD - the big splurges (adjusted for inflation)

Jr. High years: A Remington Rand Quiet Writer (from my summer earnings as a short order cook/waiter in "Mom Ryan's" boardwalk dive in Ocean City NJ).

First job (mineograph operator in a large bank) after High School: A three-speed Webcor HiFi phonograph (this was pre-stereo days). (And in tune with the times, it was in a blond oak wooden cabinet.)

College Years: a Webcor reel-to-reel tape recorder

der Brucer

Most recent, and probably last, splurge: our HDTV
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:39:17 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2006, 10:38:39 AM »

Kick your knees up, festinate
Kick your knees up, festinate
Never have to worry, never can be late
Kick your knees up, festinate!

Guess who's been listening to the OCR of the stage version of "Mary Poppins"?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2006, 10:44:23 AM »

Along the lines of what others have said, I think that going back to grad school to pursue my passion (not just the year I took off from working full time) was my biggest, and certainly most expensive luxury. If I had stayed on in my previous job and then moved up in the exciting world of corporate entertainment HR, I'm sure I would currently be earning close to double what my starting salary as a Social Worker will be.  And while I would have happily kept Rodzinski in fur coats and diamond rings, I don't think I would be as happy or satisfied as I have been doing what I'm doing right now.

And I'm not knocking corporate entertainment or HR, I know I was able to do positive work and make contributions, but it's not my passion.

Also, I would buy faux fur for Rodzinski, not the real thing. :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:45:44 AM by TPunk »

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2006, 10:46:11 AM »

!!!!HE'S HOME!!!!

HOO and RAY!!!! Also HUZ and ZAH!

I very happy to hear this news!!!

Prayers and ~~~VIBES~~~~ will continue for continued improvement!!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2006, 10:47:57 AM »

When I left home to come to work, the cats were resting peacefully.  I wonder what Rodzinski will find when he gets home from work later.

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2006, 10:49:18 AM »

You Apple people! Stickin' together like it's some special club, tryin' to make the rest of us feel bad  ;)
 and have you seen that commercial the cool, "with- it" "happening" guy as the Apple and the awkward  doofus as the PC?  >:(

;D

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2006, 10:49:20 AM »

LOL, DR Ben!  Does it help for you to know that I'm a PC user at work?

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »

When I left home to come to work, the cats were resting peacefully.  I wonder what Rodzinski will find when he gets home from work later.

fur and whiskers

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up