Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN BUSINESS  (Read 23346 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BACK IN BUSINESS
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 08:03:59 AM »

A query for our esteemed BK:

Whatever do you imbibe when you are at a soiree, and the host or hostess has crassly forgotten to lay some Diet Coke in stock?

There's Diet Pepsi, of course, but that's hardly the same stuff.  (They mix the syrup using wire hangers, I hear.)

On a tangent, we've had cases of Diet Coke on sale, five cases for ten dollars.  Not a bad price, but I fear the shipping costs from the Beach of Rehoboth to the Hollywood of North would destroy the savings.

In the past, Tony and Bob have never had Diet Coke at their parties.  The first two times I just drank sparkling water - then I learned to bring my own.  I'll drink anything diet, but if the host of a party doens't have it, then it's water.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 08:05:17 AM »

Well...let's see....my question for ASK BK day to start with will be.....what did Mr Jack Larson WEAR to the party yesterday?

Mr. Larson looked quite dapper in white shirt and white pants.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 08:06:40 AM »

Esteemed BK, re your dinner date with the wonderful T'Punk and the darling Rodzinsky (I think I got those adjectives in the right order...):

Haven't you been disappointed with the service at Musso and Frank's of late?

On the other hand, it is more classic LA than the Smoke House.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 08:07:21 AM »

Der Brucer needs to get on-line, business stuff.  Later, all.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 08:10:03 AM »

Here is my question for Mr BK...what scandalous things were discussed at the soiree? What did you talk to Jack Larson about? What did you talk to Marsha Hunt about? I want all the gossip!

I spent no time with Miss Hunt, unfortunately.  Lots of time with Mr. Larson, who talked about the new Superman film (which he likes), and also the upcoming Hollywoodland film.  Hollywoodland, which is a recent title-change for Truth, Justice, and the American Way (a bad change, IMO, since Hollywoodland has nothing to do with George Reeves other than a state of mind perhaps - but if they're going that route, I don't hold much hope for the film), is the story of George Reeves' and his suicide.  Mr. Larson told his oft-told tales of the event.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »

There was bad service one particular time at Musso, but otherwise it's been fine.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 08:12:55 AM »

BK - have a great visit with DRs TPunk and Rodzinski!  Will you be able to share photos?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:20:43 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2006, 08:29:44 AM »

Thus.....Reddy was always ready?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »

I'm back at work after 5 days off.

Not fair.

At all.

A'tall.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »

Froze my buns off getting ready for work this a.m.

It seems like winter half the time.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2006, 08:48:50 AM »

Some nice selections from the Kino catalog at Deep Discount.

I got THE THREE SISTERS, Olivier's American Film Theater pproduction, Valentino's BLOOD & SAND, and Keaton's OUR HOSPITALITY/SHERLOCK, JR.

How ironic that DR Dan the Man was just talking about THE THREE SISTERS!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 08:49:37 AM »

Froze my buns off getting ready for work this a.m.

It seems like winter half the time.

Oh, how I LONG for those temperatures to return to these parts.

I am already over summer!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 08:50:33 AM »

Ms. Reddy doesn't know much about history.  The jury is still way out on whether Richard III even murdered the princes and most of the evidence and motives are lacking to insist he did.  People forget that Billy Shakes was writing in the time of Elizabeth whose grandad was Henry VII, the guy who usurped the throne from Richard's legitimate claim and there's plenty of evidence to suggest that the princes were still alive when Henry ascended to the throne and that he had the deed quietly done.  It's already been proven that Richard did not have a hump, withered arm, or gamey leg...these distortions and lies came from the venerable Thomas More who was educated by John Morton, the Bishop of Ely, and Richard's implacable enemy.

There is a book THE TRIAL OF RICHARD III, based on a Channel Four TV program, where a trial was held, presided over by an Old Bailey judge and presented by criminal lawyers to a jury where pretty much every known Ricardian scholar testified.  the verdict: Not guilty.

Betram Fields, an eminent Hollywood lawyer (handles people like Spielberg) and Richardian scholar also wrote a book were he very objectively goes through the evidence and comes up with the same conclusion:  Richard is innocent of the princes' murder and, indeed, most everything he is accused of.

BK, take them to Musso's...right in the heart of Hollywood.  Is Book City still in business?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:59:09 AM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2006, 08:58:03 AM »

THE FIFTH OF JULY is one of my favorite plays.  I was lucky enough to see William Hurt at Circle Rep and then Christopher Reeves on B'way.  But all in all, I like Richard Thomas the best as Ken Talley--I just found him the most believable as a man who went from 60s war protester to soldier to disabled schoolteacher.  I enjoy the video production a lot, too.  I like how it opens the play up a little (with the exterior farmhouse shots, though I'm sure they still used the original play set for the interiors.)  Also, it preserves Swoosie Kurtz's hoot of a performance.  

When I was in my senior year as a theatre major in college, I campaigned the department heads to put on FIFTH OF JULY as one of our productions.  I wanted to play Ken, and my girlfriend at the time would have been perfect as Gwen.  And jerkface that I was back then, I had my eye on a particularly hunky fellow student to play Jed, who I daydreamed of picking me up and carrying me bare chested at the end of Act One.

We did THE THREE SISTERS instead.

Turned out about the same is my guess.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2006, 09:00:08 AM »

Mr Larson sounds dapper of course.

HOLLYWOODLAND....is that the movie with Ben Affleck as George Reeves?  Interesting.  Mr Larson never really discussed his opinions until after Toni Mannix kicked the bucket (a high kick is my guess, former chorine that she was)...and I have heard it a few times....

My guess is MURDER and NOT suicide....the guests were never really properly interrogated....and wasn't Dan Dailey's ex wife there that night, too?  Wacky stuff - even for 1959.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »

DR CP - I watched my DVD of your HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES again last night.  Always nice to see.  Nifty production design.

And any movie with Nicholas Clay AND Edward Judd is obm!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2006, 09:01:15 AM »

A special on "Superman" on film and TV has been running the past weekend on A&E.  Mr. Larson seems to believe Mr. Reeves DID commit suicide, unless I seriously misunderstood his comments about Reeves having been quite depressed prior to his death.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:08:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2006, 09:01:24 AM »

DRs RODZINSKI and TPUNK in LaLaLand!  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2006, 09:03:52 AM »

Oh, how I LONG for those temperatures to return to these parts.

I am already over summer!

Ours seems to have been a couple of weeks in May.

But it's only early July....our summers usually run through October.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2006, 09:06:36 AM »

Shucky DARN!

I just remembered something I should not have forgotten.

Yesterday would have been PERFECT for a viewing of "The Music Man".

It was summertime 44 years ago that I first saw it in a theater!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2006, 09:07:08 AM »

DRs RODZINSKI and TPUNK in LaLaLand!  

Golly...the Bay Area will seem decimated....

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2006, 09:09:03 AM »

My guess is MURDER and NOT suicide....the guests were never really properly interrogated....and wasn't Dan Dailey's ex wife there that night, too?  Wacky stuff - even for 1959.

I'm guessing you're right, and I think Leanore Lemon was the murderer. In fact, I think she even "jokingly" confessed to it years later.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2006, 09:09:16 AM »

Kenneth Lay....dead at 64, from heart attack.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »

The preview for HOLLYWOODLAND is supposed to be showing at the theatres with SUPERMAN RETURNS....anyone seen it?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2006, 09:10:42 AM »

I'm guessing you're right, and I think Leanore Lemon was the murderer. In fact, I think she even "jokingly" confessed to it years later.

They probably had tee many martoonis that night and NO ONE knows exactly what happened.  :o

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2006, 09:10:52 AM »

Bruce, take 'em to Musso & Frank!!

Cloudy and overcast here today. And more to come... Sheesh, I've turned into one of those old ladies who take pride in predicting the weather by the scientific oy-my-old-bones-ache method. How boring... I must program in somthing a bit more interesting for casual chat...

Yesterday I got a lot of weedage and clippage in on the path up to the woodshed. For the melancholia, I recommend heavy physical labor!! And a comedy for dessert - mine was When Harry Met Sally, which I've seen at least 20 times - I still laugh at many of the jokes, and Billy Crystal and the young Meg Ryan are always wonderful company.

If it doesn't rain, I'll be out there again today with my BIG clipper for the salmonberry bushes... Mwuahhahahahahahah!!!!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2006, 09:11:16 AM »

A special on "Superman" on film and TV has been running the past weekend on A&E.  Mr. Larson seems to believe Mr. Reeves DID commit suicide, unless I seriously misunderstood his comments about Reeves having been quite depressed prior to his death.

He does believe it was suicide, but I think Noel Neill believes he was murdered.

There was a wonderful MYSTERIES & SCANDALS expose about this some years ago on E! that I recorded, but I don't think I labeled the box of the tape I recorded it on, so I'd have a devil of a time finding it.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2006, 09:13:35 AM »

I still occasionally watch the old Superman TeeVee episodes... George Reeves! Kinda chunky, in his baggy gatkes... I just loved it way back when, and love it now!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2006, 09:13:36 AM »

I'm heading down now to start preparing lunch.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2006, 09:15:45 AM »

I guess this is close as we'll get for a bit.   8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD0idT2ZRb8&search=diane%20lane

And of course the idiot calls him George Reeve.  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up