Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A PIG'S EYE  (Read 50247 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IN A PIG'S EYE
« on: July 09, 2006, 12:07:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, in a pig's eye you've read the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently lobbying to change the expression to "in a cow's eye."  We wish them luck.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 12:19:56 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:IN A PIG'S EYE
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 12:11:09 AM »

And the word of the day is: MISOGAMY!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:17:42 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 12:18:44 AM »

Yesterday, I was planning on cleaning up, but I didn't. ::) I could possible clean up some today, but before I can do that, I'm meeting with TCB and Jane (and Jane's husband Keith) and possibly others at Anthony's Restaurant in Tacoma for a mini-HHW-get-together!! ;D

AND I have clean clothes!  I may not have cleaned my house, but I got laundry done. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 12:23:54 AM »

And I ordered Kevin Spirtas' DVD!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 12:36:16 AM »

And now, I'm going to go to sleep. Good night! 8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 04:25:00 AM »

And the word of the day is: MISOGOMY!
From what I can tell, this is an alternate spelling for MISOGAMY.

"IS MOM GAY?" Heather wondered.  Nothing else could explain the single woman's MISOGAMY.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 04:26:54 AM »

Three cheers for clean clothes.

Laundry detergent can be found on aisle eightteen.

The above should not be considered to an endorsement of any particular brand, of course.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 04:30:45 AM »

On the other hand, using the alternate spelling...

YOGI'S MOM did not hang out with any of the men bears.  Her MISOGOMY led her to enjoy her pick-a-nick basket alone, by herself.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 04:33:17 AM »

The weather has been quite nice this weekend here in Rehoboth.  Der Brucer spent much of the day with the grandlads.  For myself, I was at work all afternoon, and didn't mind at all missing their trip to the movies to see Nacho Libre.

I'll let der Grampa review the film, if he so chooses.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 04:35:49 AM »

Our copy of Tarzan: the Broadway Musical arrived yesterday, and I listened to it before going to bed.  For a production that utilizes bungee chords as much as this one does, the recording has a remarkable lack of spring.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 04:36:27 AM »

Post 7000.   8)

Cillaliz

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 06:08:45 AM »

Good morning all, just stopped in to say hello. I'm off to the lake.  It's a beautiful day for a drive.  

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 06:11:18 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!

DR Cillaliz - have a great day at the lake.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 06:38:12 AM »

Good morning, and to all those in the Tacoma area...have a great HHW visit! I wish I could be there but there were just too many things going on for me this weekend...today I shall try to get a bit of cleaning done and then I have some family things to do.

I also woke up extremely early, and now I think I need a nap!  8)

Michael

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 06:39:50 AM »

I had my copy of Deceit sent to work. So maybe its there. I'll drop by later to see if its there. That will be my evening's entertainment.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 06:47:21 AM »

Yes DRMBARNUM is up EARLY!!

Work today....work work work....time to make the donuts.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 06:49:00 AM »

In a pig's eye!  Hmmmm

Thanks for the link to the George Reeves Memorial, DR CILLALIZ.  Interesting.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 07:05:46 AM »

Good morning!

Another cool night and morning means no A/C needed and plenty of fresh air pumping into the house. GLorious.

But today is our last day of this heaven. TOmorrow is supposed to warm up and with great humidity, too. Yuck!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 07:07:46 AM »

I was in such a terrible mood last night after wasting my time with that lousy movie that anything I watch today will HAVE to be an improvement.

After watching the remainder of the MARY TYLER MOORE episodes on the second disc in the set, I'm going to give TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE a try, but I will NOT watch the entire thing (as I did with The 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN last night) if I find the first half hour a turn-off.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 07:08:59 AM »

New episodes of DEADWOOD and ENTOURAGE are on tonight that I'm looking forward to plus a COLD CASE rerun that I did not see during the regular season.

And now that I'm interested in GREY'S ANATOMY, there is an episode of it tonight that will be new to me, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 07:11:59 AM »

I also meant to mention that I won a DVD copy of TOO MANY GIRLS off Ebay yesterday.

We had been talking about it earlier in the week, and DR George suggested I try seeing if Ebay had any separate copies of it up for sale. I got it for $4.75. Of course, the seller charged $4.50 for shipping, but at least I will have it now.

BTW, DR Elmore, I checked TCM's program listings, and the movie is not scheduled to show during the next three months. That's why I went ahead and made a bid on Ebay for a copy of the film.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:12:34 AM by Matt H. »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 07:17:53 AM »

Good morning, all!  Today is a movie day with DR Ginny, possibly a dinner with my nephew.

My dad had a great time on the lake this weekend, but the other third of the Moore family causing all the aggravation seemed unhappy last night that he was having a good time (his wife seems to have resented caring for him and his medications but implies constantly that only she is capable of continuing his care).  I have no wish to fight with my brother but I feel his wife is doing nothing to promote a peaceful atmosphere.  I need to spend a bit of time with them befiore I leave, if only to assure my brother that we are fine after wednesday's events, but things don't seem settled to her and it troubles me.

At some point I need to discuss this with my brother, but they seem to exist as a pair.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 07:22:24 AM »

BTW, DR Elmore, I checked TCM's program listings, and the movie is not scheduled to show during the next three months. That's why I went ahead and made a bid on Ebay for a copy of the film.

DR MattH, thanks!  After you had mentioned there had been sales on eBay, I checked them out and found a copy for around $11.00.  I've been meaning to thank you for the ebay suggestion.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 07:34:41 AM »

DR Elmore and I just finalized our movie plans, so I'm off to get ready for the day.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 07:47:24 AM »

Off to sit on the side porch and enjoy these cool temperatures (probably for the last time this summer).

WBBL.

FJL

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 08:03:20 AM »

I was doing some research on strokes because of a very dear friend who suffered one recently, and the following from something called the Wright Newsletter seemed interesting, in that it mentions some degree of correlation between intense anger and negative emotion and risk of strokes:

Reducing Your Risk for Stroke

Anger Management

We know a lot about what puts us at risk for a stroke. We discussed HRT the other day, but there's also high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, heavy alcohol consumption, and physical inactivity to consider when evaluating your risk.

Now, we even know more about what triggers strokes -- particularly ischemic strokes, which result from a blood clot.

A new study reveals that 30 percent of stroke victims report experiencing either intense anger or negative emotion within two hours of their stroke.

It's interesting to note that this study also tested to see if experiencing strong positive emotions brought on strokes, and the answer is no. So it isn't that we need to avoid strong emotions -- just strong negative emotions.

We've seen other studies that try to measure the impact of emotions and attitude on health. Last year, we told you about another a study that showed pessimistic people are more likely to have heart disease than optimistic people (1/26/04 e-Tip, subject line: Half full). The stroke trigger study shows, however, that even an optimistic person can have a sudden turn of anger and their usual sunny disposition will not prevent the stroke.

When you become angry, the body experiences the ancient fight-or-flight response. Your blood pressure shoots up, at least temporarily, and the hormones adrenaline and cortisol are released and flood the body. Your heart rate increases, your muscles become tense, your digestive processes come to a halt, and certain parts of your brain are triggered, altering your brain chemistry. It's not exactly a surprise that, if you have a blood clot developing, this kind of physical response would be enough to put it into action and cause you to have a stroke.

For those of us who live life with a full range of expression, including anger, this study is a bit frightening. Of course, anger is a natural part of life, and it is impossible (even unhealthy) to attempt to never feel or acknowledge your anger. A better, more realistic course of action is to find healthy outlets for releasing anger, or even channeling your anger in healthier, more positive ways.

Some find that exercise helps to release anger, while yoga and meditation train the body to instantly relax and get grounded, and prepare to address the emotion more productively.

The two-hour time frame reported by the stroke victims was of particular interest to researchers. It could mean that if you can find a way to relax and short-circuit a sudden and extreme physical response to something that makes you angry, the event won't become a trigger, and you can go back later and deal with your emotions in more manageable doses at a later time.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 09:05:45 AM »

This morning I went to the river on a bird walk, and I saw many different heron (almost a The Produers reference).
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 09:20:57 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Have to jog soon because I must shower and shave and be ready to go.  Vinnie should be here at eleven thirty, which only gives us about fifty minutes to do the clone and then doublecheck that everything is working properly.

FJL

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 09:46:01 AM »

The friend I gave that copy of DECEIT to just called, and thanked me even more!  He hadn't noticed yesterday that it was autographed.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 09:50:50 AM »

It looks like lots of people are working on the trivia contest, but having trouble fidning that one hook into the answer.  So I hope the trivia contest doesn't get discontinued because of this week's submissions, assuming there are only a few.  This week's and last week's were trickier than last year's questions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:54:08 AM by FJL »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up