Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIFE IS A CABARET  (Read 67310 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:LIFE IS A CABARET
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2006, 03:57:38 PM »

So, Jose, after your eventful morning, did you have a relaxing lunch?

Actually, yes, I did.  I ended up heading downtown where I met up with Jason, and we headed over to Great American Burger Co. - or something like that.  A pretty good burger, and some very good fries. Then it was over to Macy's for some Australia's Best (?) Ice Cream.  Yum!

Once I walked Jason back to his office, James was getting ready to head out for his late lunch, so I sat with him at Pax while he had his meal.

Alas, no cocktail(s)... But that's still a possibility as the day goes on.  *However, the humidity is starting to settle in, and I'm a little wary of heading back out into it again.  There are a couple of bottles of wine here, so...  And since it is Bastille Day, I may just open a bottle of Pinot Gris or Sancerre... Ohh...  I also have a bottle of champagne in the fridge too..  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2006, 03:58:37 PM »

I'm a waffle person in a scrapple town!

Ooohh.. did someone say "scrapple"?  YUM!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2006, 04:00:30 PM »

...Then it was over to Macy's for some Australia's Best (?) Ice Cream.  Yum!...

I had a feeling there'd be ice cream!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2006, 04:06:29 PM »

I got my most recent eBay purchase today. It's a 1939-41 cookbook called "Cookbook of the Stars"  it's got some great photos of stars in it.  It's pretty cool. I really like this one of Humphrey Bogart (this is the photo from the eBay listing.)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2006, 04:21:16 PM »

The Ten Questions With Matthew Ashford interview is up at www.kritzerland.com.  Check it out.  Just click on the Kritzerland Interviews icon on the left menu bar.

Nice interview, BK. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2006, 04:22:07 PM »

Scrapple Town.

That's the title of my next epic poem.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »

I forgot to ask this during my long post.

I'm re-reading Sondheim and Company and there is a chapter about the Barbra Streisand Broadway album and how she and Sondheim worked together and how he changed some lyrics for her. I never picked up the album because it's later BS and I'm not a fan of her later work. She's certainly better than when she was in her pretentious period (my opinion only, Babs lovers don't attack me) doing things like Butterfly and Evergreen but she was so much better in the early days. Anyway, I digress. Is the Barbra Streisand Broadway Album Volume 1 any good? I have so many CDs but if it's a worthwhile listen perhaps I'll look for it and add it to the collection.

Discuss  :-*

I love the first Broadway album, but then I love Barbra.  I would galdly pay scalper's prices to see her live this Fall; but so far I can't find anyone who wants to buy my kidney.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »

TOD:

CD:  Music from SON OF THE PINK PANTHER that I am using for DEATH BY CHOCOLATE

DVD:  DECEIT and MR SARDONICUS

VCR:  FRANKIE & JOHNNY with Mr Elvis Presley & Miss Donna Douglas, One Dollar at Dollar Tree last week

MR SARDONICUS was the most terrifying movie I ever saw when I was a kid (well, with the exception of THE INNOCENTS).  I doubt seriously that the movie would be anything but laughable now; but I can't bring myself to find out.

When I was a kid, Norman's mother in the chair at the end of PSYCHO gave us all nightmares for weeks.  Now days, it is almost silly.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »

I will give him HORSES.....

LOL DRRLP....I purposely left out HATARI!

Good news DR FJL....my guess is that Bar Mitzvahs and birthday parties should have been his MAIN venues.

Why?  Most of the Jews I know didn't like him either.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2006, 04:38:50 PM »

Jose, you have had a busy day!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2006, 04:40:47 PM »

OK... Now that that is out of my system...

The audition went... I'm not sure if it went well, went just-OK, or went otherwise, but it went, and I walked out of the room not feeling like I had totally embarassed myself or wasted anybody's time.

I had fun.  And that was the point of the whole adventure.

I do have to say that it was the first time I was nervous enough to actually feel and acknowledge that I was nervous.  And, of course, none of the nerves really hit until it came time for me to sing.  The sight-reading part went fine - and, actually, since I had not been sent the piano music ahead of time, I got points for sight-reading the piano material.

The singing went OK.  -Boy, am I used to the higher keys!  But it was passable, if just a bit nerve-inflected.  Breathe, Jojo, breathe!  And the reading was OK too.

It was great seeing the casting director again, as well as the music supervisor.

And now... I believe I'm in the mood for a cocktail!

:)

You mean to say that you auditioned, and Steve wasn't there?
[/size]
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2006, 05:03:39 PM »

Give Susan my love!!!!!!!!

I emailed her earlier.

Yes, give Susan my love, as well.   I think the restraining order has been lifted.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2006, 05:07:54 PM »

Scrapple Town.

That's the title of my next epic poem.

I heard it was a new musical by the folks who brought us Urinetown!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2006, 05:14:24 PM »

DR Ben.  Listen to Barbra's Back to Broadway album - then you'll enjoy the Broadway one more. Or just play "Somewhere" first and then the rest will sound great.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2006, 05:16:21 PM »

FJL, the only way to get a ticket to the 6th Annual Festival of New Musicals at Village is to be a paid-up sponsor or member of the Theatre.  Unfortunately, the least expensive donation you can give to be a member is $75.00.  I am afraid that after almost eight weeks off of work, that is a little outside my budget.
“One thing’s universal,

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2006, 05:30:23 PM »

I don't disagree with you, Cillaliz.

A little weatherbug tells me it is 113F.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2006, 05:30:40 PM »

FJL, the only way to get a ticket to the 6th Annual Festival of New Musicals at Village is to be a paid-up sponsor or member of the Theatre.  Unfortunately, the least expensive donation you can give to be a member is $75.00.  I am afraid that after almost eight weeks off of work, that is a little outside my budget.

Or, one could join at the $100 level and get two tickets to the entire reading series, which would only be $50 each...if one knew someone else who wanted to go, but also didn't want to pay $75 (even though $50 still is pricey, it's for the whole series...so the per ticket price is less). ::)

Just a suggestion. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2006, 05:34:19 PM »

Well, I'm leaving work now.  I have to go home and start cleaning my house before my mom comes over tomorrow and helps me clean my house!  I've got a lot of "straightening up" to do. ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2006, 05:40:57 PM »

Well, I'm leaving work now.  I have to go home and start cleaning my house before my mom comes over tomorrow and helps me clean my house!  I've got a lot of "straightening up" to do. ;)

Is that a double entendre?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2006, 06:02:42 PM »

TPunk left for the movies. I watched a Wheeler and Woolsey which just happened to be on TCM. Unfortunately it was one of their weakest, ON AGAIN, OFF AGAIN. It was bad because they were not really pals in this one, but enemies fighting for control of a pharmaceutical company. It was no fun watching them fight from the very beginning. This was their second-to-last film and Woolsey was in ill health.

And no cute Dorothy Lee to enjoy either.

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2006, 06:20:33 PM »

DR Rodzinski - when will you and DR TPunk be in Findlay and Bowling Green?  I have some AAUW business to attend to in Tiffin, which is up in that direction.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2006, 06:31:23 PM »

OK...

Now that I've woken up from my nap, I think I'm heading out to the movies... "Strangers With Candy".

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »

Well, I hate to say it, but tonight MONK jumped the shark for me.  Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2006, 06:53:20 PM »

Well, I guess I'm off to Anatevka with my new friend, the accordion.  Have a great night!  Oh - and the Tevye in the show is Jamie Torcellini, I'm going to see if he'll sign my Man of La Mancha CD.  It's not my favorite recording as I'm SO not a Stokes fan, but it least it will be fun to keep now!!  Cheers!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2006, 07:01:07 PM »

Well, I guess I'm off to Anatevka with my new friend, the accordion.  Have a great night!  Oh - and the Tevye in the show is Jamie Torcellini, I'm going to see if he'll sign my Man of La Mancha CD.  It's not my favorite recording as I'm SO not a Stokes fan, but it least it will be fun to keep now!!  Cheers!

I scored a Cole Porter review that featured Jamie and David Elder a few years ago!  Please tell him hello for me.  He's very talented.

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2006, 07:48:49 PM »

OK, it's official:  DH Richard will be able to accompany me to NYC the first week in October!  He was notified this week that his next residency at Nashotah House won't be until early November.  We were afraid it would interfere with his going to New York.

FJL

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2006, 07:49:41 PM »

TCB and George -  If the two of you are serious about wanting to go, I'd be happy to treat the two of you to one of those two-ticket memberships.   Who knows - you might find yourselves wanting to attend some of the other shows as well; I'm not allowed to say what the line-up is yet, but LAST STARFIGHTER finds itself in the festival with some distinguished other titles.   Should be a fascinating festival.

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2006, 07:51:13 PM »

DR Cillaliz - nice cookbook from eBay!  I looked to see if my library owned a copy but we do not.  I'll check tomorrow on M.O.R.E. (Moving Ohio's Resources Everywhere).

RE Humphrey Bogart:  here in Ohio you can visit the house at Malabar Farm where he and Lauren Bacall were married.  It belonged to author and environmentalist Louis Bromfield.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 07:54:51 PM by Ginny »

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2006, 07:57:43 PM »

Now, I must go to bed.  I'm so tired from the heat, the techno-stress of the new phone system, and the antibiotic that my dentist has me taking prior to my root canal   :P

'night!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2006, 08:14:24 PM »

Had a good evening with TV and videos. First, I watched the two excerpts from the 1930 version of GOOD NEWS with Dorothy McNulty/Penny Singleton singing "Good News" and "The Varsity Drag." Dorothy also did some pretty impressive tumbling moves during the title song.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up