Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RED LICORICE  (Read 50609 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:RED LICORICE
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2006, 09:14:58 AM »

PAGE THREE DANCE

Mongol Horde Pride Parade

der Brucer

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:16:15 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2006, 09:18:36 AM »

He wants to see Nacho Libre.

It will feed his "inner child".

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2006, 09:31:03 AM »

Interesting "Playground" taunt:

Associated Press

Ahmadinejad Says Israel Does Not Have Power to Harm Iran
Friday , July 14, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran  — President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Friday that Israel could not harm Iran, even as the Jewish state expanded its offensive into Lebanon to target the Iranian-backed Hezbollah, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

"Despite the barbaric and criminal nature of the occupiers of Jerusalem, the regime and its Western supporters do not even have the power to give Iran a nasty look," the agency quoted Ahmadinejad as saying in Osku, in northwestern Iran.

Well, I bet a couple of well-placed Israeli nukes would change his mind!

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2006, 10:44:20 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...  I guess I am getting older after all.  I tried and tried to stay up, but around 8:30 or so, I fell asleep - and just got back up about 15 minutes ago.  Ah, well.  *However, I think if I had decided to head outside for a bit and walk around earlier, I probably would have made it through the night. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2006, 11:20:37 AM »

I just popped in to catch up before my mom comes over to "help" me clean my house!  Here are a few songs that I could think of (a couple have been mentioned already):

Linda Eder singing Someone Like You
Debbie Gravitte singing Water Under the Bridge
Ella Fitzgerald singing Mack the Knife and How High the Moon
Liz Callaway singing Never Will I Marry, The Story Goes On and Goodbye For Now
Dorothy Collins singing Losing My Mind
The Manhattan Transfer singing A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

That's it for now. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »

My god how can I forget Liz Callaway!

The Story Goes On
Stop Time
My Heart Is So Filled With You (The beautiful orchestration also helped make it one of my favorites!)

and
Brent Barrett (She Wasn't You)
Michael Ball (Love Changes Everything)
Babara Cook (Ice Cream, Losing My Mind, Till There Was You)
Roberta Flack (Killing Me Softly)
The Carpenters (Bless The Beasts and The Children, For All We Know)
Joan Ryan (Trust The Wind)

more to come
Never stop dreaming.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2006, 12:22:49 PM »

DR Michael S... thanks for the Carpenter's nudge...

Someday (off the Ticket to Ride album) I cry everytime

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »

DR elmore - Were were supposed to do something today?

???

*I just have a sneaking suspicion that I may left something off of my appointment calendar.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »

DR elmore - Were were supposed to do something today?

???

*I just have a sneaking suspicion that I may left something off of my appointment calendar.  Hmm...

DR Jose, no, dear, but we have a date on Tuesday at 6:45, Lyceum Theatre!

I had a wonderful meeting with Andy Monroe, composer/lyricist of THE TRAGIC AND HORRIBLE . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2006, 12:56:04 PM »

Quote from: elmore3003 I had a wonderful meeting with Andy Monroe, composer/lyricist of THE TRAGIC AND HORRIBLE . . .
[quote

Tell him Penny says hi! Whatta swell guy he is. Hope you have recovered from Ohioism...
PennyO

HJBJDJ

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2006, 01:22:08 PM »

Hello everyone.  I haven't been here since January. I run 'The Connotator' the fan based message board for Matt Ashford.

Bruce,

I just got home from vacation yesterday and what was waiting for me, but my copy of DECEIT !  

I watched the DVD this morning followed by the commentary track.

I enjoyed them both very much. You did an excellent job in all three of your roles; writer, director and actor.  No one would ever had guessed it have been 21 years since your last appearance on stage.

Now I know why Miss Stephanie went back to see the show again and again!  It's just that good of a play.  :)

I've heard some people say they though it was kind of creepy, or at least Michael was creepy but I didn't find that at all. I found him cocky and overly self assured of his position in the situation and quite methodical in going about his business but never creepy.

I liked the multi dementions of Jeffery's personality as well. I'd like to be able to say something more about him,  but I don't want to spoil it for those who have not seen it.  

For the entire play, nothing is what  it appears to be and yet the story never loses the audience in what is going on when a twist of the truth comes out.

I didn't think the infamous scene was overly gory. It told the story and served the play, but didn't go over board for unnecessary shock value. Nice job at maintaining that balance.

I was pleased that while it had heavy drama at times it also had light comical moments as well. Not to mention some very sharp and witty dialogue.

My favorite line was from Michael.

Paraphrasing here, "We lived together and I hated her; just like being married."

For some reason I just laughed out loud at that line. LOL

I'm glad the commentary explained the reasoning for the placement of Matts hands at various times concerning Tammy. I had noticed that while watching the play and was beginning to think he was just a Dirty Not So Old Man.  haha.

(now if that intriqued anyone enough to know what I'm talking about, you're just going to have to buy the dvd to find out!) ;)

Thanks Bruce for making this available for those of use who were unable to attend due to distance. I hope it's distribution proves much success for you.

Michelle

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:22:40 PM by HJBJDJ »

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2006, 01:40:18 PM »

Ben,
Weren't you in some productions at the Guthrie?  I just noticed on Playbill.com that they are starting their first season in their new home in Downtown Minneapolis "The Great Gatsby"  It may be fun to see that in F.Scotts old stomping grounds

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »

I'm still thinking of that custard cone....it's already 96 degrees out there and it's about a 20-30 minute drive...but custard awaits...think I'll go do it.

di2teach

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2006, 01:51:42 PM »

Another newbie checking in...Sarah (Dakota Celt) pointed me in the right direction.

Okay, so I finally found a few consecutive minutes this week to actually sit and watch 'Deceit.' What can I say beyond: WOW.

My first reaction upon opening the dvd was what a professional job had been done putting it all together. I mean, I was really impressed by that. It looked like it belonged on the Blockbuster shelf along with so many other major productions!  I have dvds gathering dust on my shelf that are not nearly as impressive.

As far as the actual show, I was also pleasantly surprised. I thought the lighting, sound and makeup were all quite good. The staging was effective, and the music was chillingly appropriate, although if I let it run too long at the beginning, I'm convinced I could be led to murder, myself...

I must confess that I have always preferred Matt as Jack Deveraux, so this was a real departure for me, for sure. This character was positively creepy in comparison, but still Matt brought a charm to Michael that could not be denied. Having followed the reviews, columns, etc. since the play opened, I was pleasantly impressed that the faux accent I was expecting really did come across as a slight 'lilt' as Bruce Kimmel wanted it to be. Maybe that took some doing, but for this performance, it was right on. I also enjoyed on the commentary when Matt gave his spin on that--that the character was a bit ostentatious in nature. Made perfect sense.

I pretty much 'got' Tammy's performance on my own, but it was good to listen to the commentary and understand it that much more clearly. I would have been intrigued to have seen 'the other actor' in the role, for all we heard along the way (and for comparison purposes), but Bruce made the role his own, and the dynamics between the characters really worked.

The play itself was captivating! Thrillers are not my usual genre, but I admit to LOVING old Hitchcock films, and this hearkened back to the likes of those. I didn't find the twists and turns to be as much of a shock. Maybe I was expecting them a bit too much, having heard things along the way, but it was still a great story.

I enjoyed the fact that there was a nice mix of horror and humor, something I don't suppose is all that easy to achieve. One minute I was riveted watching Michael's cool and deliberate clean up, and then just minutes later, his quips had me laughing out loud.

I was pleased that I figured out who Anthony Cooper was, although I confess I didn't have the time to get the significance of that name until it was already being explained. I found that clever (love anagrams). I appreciated the snappy dialogue and the use of some rather impressive verbage along the way--something that always intrigues me.

I thought (predictably, for a Matt fan) that Matt stole the show. His showmanship is remarkable, but I thought that Tammy carried her part quite nicely and Bruce did a fine job, as well.

For any who have not yet watched it yet, I would definitely suggest to put it on the required summer viewing list!  And for an East Coast Jersey girl who would never have had the chance to come SEE the play, having it available on dvd was a wonderful treat!  Many thanks to Bruce and the crew for making this possible!

Di...of the New Jersey Dianes...  ;)

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2006, 01:51:47 PM »

I am finally back and cannot wait to see the Cabaret tonight!
After being shipped off to my grandmothers-where technology is non existant- I am happy to be home and connected.
HELLO EVERYONE-HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY-
Aren't cheerful moods wonderful?!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Ben

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2006, 01:56:56 PM »

Cil, although I auditioned at the Guthrie, I was never lucky enough to work there. I do have a friend who has been part of the company for years. I do know the Guthrie very well. When we get back for a visit to Minnesota I do plan on checking out the new complex. It's in a great location right on the Mississippi River and the building looks very cool.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2006, 02:01:42 PM »

It is so hot outside here that it's hard to breathe. When I went out to get the mail, I couldn't get inside fast enough.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2006, 02:06:48 PM »

Had some telephone calls today that cut into viewing time, but I did have time to watch a couple of things.

I started off with the 1939 HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. Since I've seen it so often, I played the commentary track with it this time. Very informative (the commentator had read the original screenplay and noted cuts and additions to the script) and enjoyable as these things go.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2006, 02:08:26 PM »

Then I watched the first episode from Season 5 of CSI. Four different cases going on so lots to keep track of. The case NIck and Sarah worked on - the "alien" found in the desert wearing an E.T. wristwatch was the most intriguing case to me.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2006, 02:09:29 PM »

I got TOO MANY GIRLS in the mail today from my Ebay win, so I'll watch that tonight. Later, I plan to watch THE FIFTH ELEMENT.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 02:11:25 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2006, 02:10:52 PM »

I also got DANCING LADY and SAN FRANCISCO in the mail today, but I'll probably wait to see DANCING LADY tomorrow. I'll hold off on SAN FRANCISCO awhile. I just watched the videotape of it a month or so ago, so I'm not ready to see it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2006, 03:02:34 PM »

I may put TOO MANY GIRLS on hold until tomorrow. I noticed that the DVR is now recording GRAND PRIX, so I may watch that now and follow it with THE FIFTH ELEMENT.

Then I'll have an all musical afternoon tomorrow with TOO MANY GIRLS and DANCING LADY.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2006, 03:03:01 PM »

Anyway, off now to watch some stuff.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2006, 03:51:54 PM »

Cil, although I auditioned at the Guthrie, I was never lucky enough to work there. I do have a friend who has been part of the company for years. I do know the Guthrie very well. When we get back for a visit to Minnesota I do plan on checking out the new complex. It's in a great location right on the Mississippi River and the building looks very cool.

Well, I knew it was either you or William H Macy....guess it was him  ;)

We used to take field trips there when I was in high school. I saw Hamlet and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.   I haven't really been there since. I think it may be time to head up there this fall.

Were you ever in anything at Chanhassen?  That's the other place we used to go on theater field trips.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »

Wonders will never cease... we had 98 yesterday for a high and we hit 103 today!!  We have not hit the century mark for a high since 1995!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2006, 03:53:29 PM »

Got my vanilla custard ice cream...hmmmm.  Paul was with his mom to late to do the matinee so we are going to Taco Del Mar for dinner.  It's new here.  I think it's a great fast food chain.  (If that isn't an oxymoron)

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2006, 03:54:01 PM »

Dakota, you can have it...I hate this hot weather

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »

No, I don't think many of them had my home number - just a couple, but I don't know that I'd remember who?  It could be anyone in the department, frankly, but someone who knew some of what went on in the class.  It certainly didn't SOUND like anyone who was actually IN the class, but it could have been a put-up job by one of the two disgruntled students who I was a little tough on during the staged reading.

Gee, two students were disgruntled because you were tough on them during the staged reading?  I certainly hope those two aren't planning to continue acting.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »

Di and Michelle, nice to see you drop in... Please stay and post!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2006, 04:07:31 PM »

It's so nice to see our new readers posting!!

This morning I went up to the mountains to go for a walk, but I think I left my memory card reader at the church, so I can't post any photos.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up