Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT WAVE  (Read 61335 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:HEAT WAVE
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2006, 08:02:43 AM »

Having lunch with best friend John today, so I need to get off here and go get cleaned up.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 08:02:48 AM »

Now I must walk a couple of blocks in the heat for a luncheon appointment with the fundraiser for Victoria Theatre Association.

Bye for now  8)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 08:05:15 AM »

Page Two POCAHONTAS Dance!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 08:09:27 AM »

I am pleased to report that I have FINALLY figured out how to transfer the recordings that were piling up on that new fangled Tivo like DVR machine to my DVD recorder!!!

Tomovoz, if you are still needing that Tony awards show I should be able to put it on DVD for you now!

I have now transferred to DVD BACK FROM ETERNITY, and one episode each of BOURBON STREET BEAT and 77 SUNSET STRIP guest starring Laurie Mitchell and Evelyn Rudie, respectively.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2006, 08:32:59 AM »

I, too, liked GOOD NIGHT & GOOD LUCK very much, but my real love is British drama. Favorites are THE DUCHESS OF DUKE STREET, THE GRAND, WE'LL MEET AGAIN, WISH ME LUCK,  and THE SANDBAGGERS, all British television. I'm also a fan of HEARTBEAT,  a Yorkshire Television series very popular in the UK and Canada (and at my house). It is a light drama which takes place in 1960's Yorkshire. Quite fun. WE'LL MEET AGAIN and WISH ME LUCK are WWII drama, which the Brits do so well. Many of you will be familiar with THE SANDBAGGERS. I'm curious as to how many of you have heard of the others.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »

Hiya - there was a series on PBS WAY back in the 70's, from Jacob Bronowski that i just LOVED - what the heck was the name of that??? It was riveting. And I liked THE STORY OF ENGLISH.

The past few days I have been incorporating the new songs by BK into my script of Jewish Thighs, and deleting dialogue that is now redundant. I re-worked scenes to lead up to the Musical Moment, and fixed the ending. After six years, I had been quite tired of this play - my enthusiasm and affection for it are re-kindled! Collaboration can be so uplifting when it's right. (Trust me - there is no hell uglier than collaboration when it's WRONG)

Hope you get a good result from your doctor visit, Elmo dear!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2006, 08:45:26 AM »

Jeanne! Good morning, girl! Bruce showed me your pix the other day... how lovely you were then, and how beautiful now. I remember Bruce when he was that kid in the prom photos.
PennyO

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2006, 09:11:35 AM »

BK, Black Swan is fun; but, no, it's not the second coming of Christ.  Laird Cregar makes the film for me as Henry Morgan,  though Ty is dashing and Maureen, as always, lovely.

Good  documentaries:  HARLAN COUNTY, USA.; SALESMAN.

Historical films I like are often not great films, but they are interesting history:  I like epics, of course.  I'm distinguishing these with the fact that they are all based(however loosely) on actual historical events: Lawrence of Arabia; Khartoum; Cromwell; Saraband for Dead Lovers; Spartacus; Tombstone; Matewan; 1776; The Scarlet Empress; Alfred the Great; Becket;
Man For All Seasons; Zulu; Zulu Dawn; Charge of the Light Brigade (the Richardson version over the Flynn)

Terrific historical mini-series:  Six Wives of Henry the Eighth; Elizabeth R; I, Claudius...the single greatest television event ever.  I'm also enjoying this new series on HBO: Rome.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2006, 09:13:28 AM »

I watched "The Black Swan" this weekend...gorgeous film in all respects.

One thing, though:  I was shocked that it ended when it did.  I expected some sort of confrontation between Morgan and Ingram who was in cahoots with Leech.

My "imagination" says they went back and sorted everything out.  But it also wants everyone to continue pirating, with Maureen O'Hara's Lady Denby being part of the band of rogues.

??: Who said anything about "The Black Swan" being the second coming of Christ?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »

Just read that the second season of HBO's ROME will also be the last, sad to say.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2006, 09:15:49 AM »

Yes, I found it very interesting that Ty and his pirates did not return to the straight and narrow but vowed to remain pirates. What a surprise in the Hayes Code era!

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2006, 09:17:23 AM »

DR MBarnum, I had no idea you liked Evelyn Rudie. Always loved her as a child (did she continue acting when she grew up?) and remember her guest starring on shows all the time.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2006, 09:21:57 AM »

Another film on my DVD plate this weekend was "tom thumb":

Entertaining?  Yes.

A classic.  Not in my book.

Russ Tamblyn is superb.  No bones about it.

For a "kid's movie", the romantic frou-frou between Woody and the Queen of the Woods was trite, tired and tedious.  

"The Yawning Man" sequence in the nursery was enchanting.  A fantastic accomplishment, IMO.

The sequence with the talented shoes just goes on and on and on...as if Pal had been told he needed to "fill time".  The shoemaker's vocal is about 1 1/2 minutes too long.  I was yelling "stop singing" at my TV for quite a while before he actually stopped.

That main theme -- Tom's song -- was a hoot...and those lyrics....da da da-da, di da.....such fun.

INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH:  As the main titles started, I did an audio check to see if there were alternative channels...and learned there was only one other...in French.

BUT...oddly, the main title music sounded different.  I did some back-and-forth switches...and there's a completely different main title for the French version...with chorus!!!

I didn't go through the entire film in French to see what else might differ, but I did check the scene that saw Woody marrying Queenie...it opens with a shot of a steeple with bell.  In the English version, the soundtrack has bells playing the four-note Mendelsohn "wedding march" motif....but in the French version, it's simply the bell we see tolling solemnly.

Strange that this film would have had so many differences in scoring.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:25:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2006, 09:36:59 AM »

DR Elmore - hope your doctor visit goes well.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.  Unfortunately, having an abscess inside your hip lanced is one of the most godawful painful things I've ever endured, and I'm sure my screams and groans alarmed every patient in the waiting area.  No local anesthetic is strong enough and I've informed my doctor that if I go through this again, he will have to render me unconscious.

On the positive side, I now have a medicine cabinet full of Tylenol with Codiene and I plan to indulge myself for the next few days.  And, since it wasn't misdiagnosed as the last time, I won't need to go through surgery to correct it (I hope!).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2006, 09:49:23 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - got a great night's sleep, Kevin's already been here to get more CDs and I'm going to try to jog right now before going off to breakfast.

What I said was that the transfer isn't quite the second coming I was led to expect it would be.  It's excellent, really excellent, but I've seen transfers of 40s Technicolor films that are better.

Yes, we never see the comeuppance Ingram should get - I found that odd -

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2006, 09:50:26 AM »

THE CELLULOID CLOSET is a wonderful documentary about the history of gay characters in films. And the DVD contains outtakes of more talking heads that couldn't be fit into the main feature. For those interested in the subject, it's not an exhaustive history, but it's certainly a great starting point.

I preferred the book!  Vito Russo was a dear friend and I still miss him.  I feel the film's problem is that it was done after Vito's tragic death and doesn't have his tone.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »

~~~Hip Vibes to Elmore!!~~~

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2006, 09:59:28 AM »

Hiya - there was a series on PBS WAY back in the 70's, from Jacob Bronowski that i just LOVED - what the heck was the name of that??? It was riveting.

"The Ascent of Man".  It's not available from Amazon.com, but is on Amazon.co.uk.  If you have a region-code-free DVD player, it'll work.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2006, 10:05:11 AM »

Topic of the Day:

Pennies From Heaven
Far From Heaven
Fiddler On the Roof
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

George

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2006, 10:05:43 AM »

And now, I'm late for work.  Until later!

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2006, 10:10:38 AM »

DR MBarnum, I had no idea you liked Evelyn Rudie. Always loved her as a child (did she continue acting when she grew up?) and remember her guest starring on shows all the time.

Yes, I do like her. In fact I interviewed her last year and the interview should run in Classic Images magazine one of these days. She is a very sweet lady and she runs a children's theater in Santa Monica, California now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2006, 10:11:10 AM »

What I said was that the transfer isn't quite the second coming I was led to expect it would be.  It's excellent, really excellent, but I've seen transfers of 40s Technicolor films that are better.

Ah-HAH!  Now I get the connection.    :D

Name those films that are on DVD, please!  I'd love to check 'em out!

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2006, 10:14:11 AM »

Evidently historical film is not my favorite genre of film as I cannot think of a single favorite!

Now, if it was historical fiction film then perhaps I could come up with something.

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2006, 10:17:15 AM »

Back from a delightful lunch at Citilites, which is in the Wintergarden of the Schuster Center for the Performing Arts.  It was like sitting outside, but air conditioned.  The walk over there wasn't as uncomfortable as I'd anticipated.  Humidity must be down a little today, because there was a distinct difference in temp in the shade.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2006, 10:18:28 AM »

Odd day.  

I made the mistake of "quibbling" at a "private discussion forum" on a question in a quiz that implied that John Wayne starred in "Cast A Giant Shadow" (Q:  What film starring John Wayne featuring a score by Elmer Bernstein is not featured on the new Silva Screen Records "True Grit" recording?).

The choices were two films actually STARRING John Wayne ("The Undefeated" and "The Alamo") and one film NOT STARRING John Wayne..."Cast A Giant Shadow."  Only one was scored by Bernstein, so "Cast A Giant Shadow" is the correct answer.  

The responses I got to my complaint are priceless...all defending to the death the absolute certainty that John Wayne, by virtue of having produced the film and taken a pivotal cameo role in the film, actually STARRED in the film for all intents and purposes.

I'm amenable to, but amazed and amused by the logic and the insistence that it was an easily solved question to an inconsequential quiz.

Then...what's all the fuss about?  I ask myself...

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:20:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2006, 10:22:27 AM »

Back from a jog.  Now to shower, then I shall be on my way to Hugo's for something to eat.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2006, 10:45:06 AM »

Evidently historical film is not my favorite genre of film as I cannot think of a single favorite!

Now, if it was historical fiction film then perhaps I could come up with something.

There surely has to be some historical piece taking place in a loincloth that you have undying passion for!

Cillaliz

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2006, 10:46:22 AM »

I love to watch documentaries and often find myself watching the history channel.  I love anything by Ken and Ric Burns.  The Civil War, of course, but I'm not a Civil War nut.  I enjoyed Lewis and Clark, Jazz, Not for Ourselves Alone...well most if not all of them.

I think I raved about PAPER CLIPS when I saw that.

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2006, 10:49:00 AM »

Ok, now you may all think I'm crazy about this one, but if you throw out the love story, TITANIC is amazingly historically accurate.  I got a bit obsessed with the historical background when the film came out and did a lot of research.  I'd see the film, do some research, then see the film again and viola! there it all was in the background.  I won't confess how many times I saw it.  Doing all the research made going to the exhibition a real joy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2006, 10:50:22 AM »

I loved 1776.  The Revolution is my favorite historical era. I especially like shows that get into the personal dynamics of the founding fathers...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up