Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNFASHIONABLY LATE NOTES  (Read 50153 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE UNFASHIONABLY LATE NOTES
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2006, 04:30:17 PM »

Let's what Dear TCB?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2006, 04:30:50 PM »

to

Page 4
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2006, 04:38:38 PM »

I just re-entered the site from scratch - entry brings up today's column, but the link at the upper left, under Guy's picture, still takes me to yesterday!

der Brucer
The truth is out!  Guy is a time-traveller!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2006, 05:03:37 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from a very full rehearsal day.  I got the rest of the music taught - which is a very good thing since I'll actually not be at rehearsals tomorrow and Tuesday due to other previously scheduled gigs.  Most of the material is pretty solid, and there are two sections that are still a bit troublesome.  Of course, on paper, those two sections amount to about two full pages of music.  And once they're running at tempo, they only last about 15 seconds total.  But boy are they a bit tricky.  -And a bit "exhausting" to learn - and teach!  Hopefully, my sub won't do too much damage over the next two days, and when I come back in Wednesday morning, I can get things to fit together properly.

But all in all, it was a very good day.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »

*And I am soooo tempted to head back outside for a bit to take a walk.  It's turned into a wonderfully cool summer evening here in NYC.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2006, 05:05:28 PM »

DR elmore - Glad to hear you made it out of your apartment successfully today.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2006, 05:07:14 PM »

bk - Sorry to hear about the birdies.

*So, is your ode to the birdies in a major or minor key.  Or is it one of those ditties that starts in a minor key, but ends on a Picardy third?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »

This afternoon Rodzinski and I watched the most amazing documentary, Stevie, where the filmaker and former big brother goes back to check up on his little brother years after losing touch.  A very emotional film, at times not easy to watch, that did an amazing job of displaying the cycle of abuse.  Here's the imdb link in case anyone is interested:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334416/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9c3RldmllfGZ0PTF8bXg9MjB8bG09NTAwfGNvPTF8aHRtbD0xfG5tPTE_;fc=2;ft=168;fm=1

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2006, 05:22:31 PM »

Last night Keith had the opening scenes of an episode of The Gene Autry show.   It was a typical western shot with the cowboys riding their horses (I think one group was in pursuit of the other) with the mountains in the background.  And then we noticed, floating above the mountains, a blimp. ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2006, 05:26:32 PM »

Dang them extraterrestrials, flying a blimp into a shot like that.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2006, 05:29:35 PM »

I've got me some frying to do.  Frying some chicken legs, wings, and thighs (breasts, imo, aren't the best part of the chicken for frying), along with a stab at onion rings, with a fresh salad on the side.

I just wish I wasn't feeling so achey, like my body is trying to throw off a bug of some kind.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2006, 05:32:29 PM »

For those who haven't heard, "celebrity chef" (that means he really doesn't cook any more, but is a television personality instead) Anthony Bourdain, who has been stuck in Beirut for the last several days, is now on the USS Nashville.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2006, 05:41:11 PM »

My eulogy is to the tune of the title song of the film Bye Bye Birdie as sung by the divoon Ann-Margret.

Used up some credit at Amoeba and bought two of the new Ultimate James Bond editions, which have already come out in the UK, but won't be out here until November.  I got my two faves, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger, and I'm anxious to check out the new transfers and new extras.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2006, 05:41:26 PM »

I'm thinkin' we need a frenzy or three.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2006, 05:41:36 PM »

I am my own frenzy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2006, 05:57:55 PM »

My eulogy is to the tune of the title song of the film Bye Bye Birdie as sung by the divoon Ann-Margret.

Oh.... DOH!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2006, 05:58:03 PM »

This afternoon Rodzinski and I watched the most amazing documentary, Stevie, where the filmaker and former big brother goes back to check up on his little brother years after losing touch.  A very emotional film, at times not easy to watch, that did an amazing job of displaying the cycle of abuse.  Here's the imdb link in case anyone is interested:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334416/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9c3RldmllfGZ0PTF8bXg9MjB8bG09NTAwfGNvPTF8aHRtbD0xfG5tPTE_;fc=2;ft=168;fm=1

I would like to see that. It looks good

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »

DR Ben - To answer a question you asked me Friday:  I wasn't doing the grant research, but helping respond to an RFP.  It has a little "chasing the dollars" element to it, but my managers have come up with a project that somewhat fits into our organization's mission.  We did receive word yesterday that the deadline has been extended almost 3 weeks - whew!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »

On our way home from the grocery earlier this evening, DH Richard and I chased 6 or 7 hot air balloons across town and watched them land out by one of the local middle schools.  One of the organizers of the festival that's been going on in town this weekend said it's impossible to look up at a balloon and not smile  :D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2006, 06:26:07 PM »

Well, it turned into a beautiful day here in NYC. I went out to the grocery store for a few things while Anthony stayed in and worked on his picture project. He is almost finished putting together all his Beauty and the Beast pictures. It will be a two-disk set with some video clips as well. Anyone venturing into the apartment will most likely end up seeing at least a few of the pictures.

Anthony is watching Miss Marple right now and I'm here in Kimmel land.

Unfortunately, Anthony has to take a trip out to Long Island for a few days beginning tomorrow. A dear old friend (literally, she's 82) fell and bruised her ribs. She didn't break anything but for a day or two she was in intense pain (according to George her Husband). Anthony has known Elinor for over 25 years and feels as if she is his grandmother. He's going out to visit her and make sure everything is OK. George is a bit frazzled by the whole thing and can use some help so Ant will be gone for a few days taking care of friends.

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2006, 06:26:54 PM »

The most unique balloon in tonight's group was:

Woodrow C. Greenleaf

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2006, 06:27:08 PM »

On our way home from the grocery earlier this evening, DH Richard and I chased 6 or 7 hot air balloons across town and watched them land out by one of the local middle schools.  One of the organizers of the festival that's been going on in town this weekend said it's impossible to look up at a balloon and not smile  :D

When I was in college I used to crew for a hot air balloon. I was also in the U of Iowa hot air balloon club and was working on my balloon pilots license.  I never got my license because it didn't look like I would really have access to a balloon as often as I would like, but I love to fly in balloons
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 06:27:42 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2006, 06:30:11 PM »

That's a cool balloon!  Malcolm Forbes had a balloon of his Chateau that he used to bring to the National Hot Air Balloon Races in Indianola, IA. I think I only saw him there once, but his balloon was always there
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 06:36:05 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2006, 06:33:16 PM »

One of the traditions among hot air balloonists is to trade pins of their balloons with others. I have a nifty collection, unfortunately I never had my own balloon

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2006, 06:33:58 PM »

While that tradition is nice, I much prefer the tradition of toasting the four winds with champagne when you land

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2006, 06:39:03 PM »

The U. S. Nationals (balloons) were here in Middletown, OH, in 1992, 1993, and 1994.  Many locals, including our family physician, caught the bug and now put on these locally-organized festivals.  Unfortunately, the weather Friday and Saturday was not suitable for flying, but today was beautiful.

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2006, 06:41:11 PM »

The U.S. Nationals are different from the National Hot Air Balloon Race....goofy sport

Have you seen the Carmen Miranda balloon? I think she's my favorite
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 06:42:24 PM by Cillaliz »

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2006, 06:44:52 PM »

Hmm, don't remember seeing Carmen Miranda - bet she's a cutie!

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2006, 06:45:02 PM »

I tried to post the photo and it didn't show up then when I tried again I got the message that the file name was already taken. Is anyone else having trouble posting photos?

Here's a link to Carmen Miranda  http://www.zianet.com/ynika/1599.jpg

Cillaliz

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »

Ginny, did you go watch the US Nationals?  I think it is soooo cool to watch the mass ascension.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up