Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD  (Read 103622 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:22:37 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes felt like a motherless child, and now it is time for you to post until the motherless cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:09:55 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:24:29 AM »

And the word of the day is: SEROTINAL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:59:49 AM »

I won the Unseemly Trivia Contest!  I've never won one before! ;D And I've only gotten a correct answer once before.  I feel so special. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:24:14 AM »

Topic of the Day:  my favorite pasta dish is lasagna and the recipe I use is very simple:  I buy the ingredients needed, based on the recipe on either the box of lasagna noodles or the ricotta cheese and I double everything except the noodles.  You can never have enough of anything else in lasagna, except you can have too many noodles.

Also, I do NOT use cottage cheese...my sister does and it's just wrong :P

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 01:26:53 AM »

That's really the only pasta dish that I've actually made, other than boiling spaghetti, making meat sauce from a mix (McCormick is the best...in my humble opinion) and combining.

George

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 01:27:17 AM »

And now, it's time for bed.  Good night, all. :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:43:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: SEROTINAL!
LATIN ROSE early as a base language for many of the words we use today.  The ORIENTALS, being more SEROTINAL, have only just begun to have an influence.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:45:01 AM »

Der Brucer is not a big pasta fan, so I don't cook as much pasta as I'd like.

Maybe if they made a pasta that looked like a potato...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 02:53:49 AM »

Dear George: Tis true, August has no holidays.

It's got plenty of birthdays, however!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 03:30:04 AM »

And off I must go, again, to earn my weekly pittance.

At least I'm feeling a bit better today.  Phlemmy, but healthier.

Cillaliz

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 05:03:48 AM »

I won the Unseemly Trivia Contest!  I've never won one before! ;D And I've only gotten a correct answer once before.  I feel so special. ;)

Congrats George!!!  I was way off on this one

Cillaliz

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 05:05:25 AM »

Feel Better vibes to Woody

Cillaliz

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 05:08:00 AM »

Just stopped in to say hi between cat duties and getting ready for work. I have a number of things to do before I leave Thursday night and have no idea when I'm going to find time to do them. I have an energy audit tonight after work and tomorrow my cat sitter meets Boo and I'll show her the whole layout with the separated cats.  I know Boo will get out into the rest of the house at least once while I'm gone. But, I'm not that worried about it. She'll figure it out and maybe they won't fight in front of Sharon. It would actually be interesting to know that
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 05:08:45 AM by Cillaliz »

FJL

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 05:17:54 AM »

Is the Oregonian a major paper in the Portland/Vancouver WA area?  I found this very nice review in the Oregonian of the Vancouver WA production of HERRINGBONE,  the show for which Skip wrote the music (with book by Tom Cone and lyrcs by Ellen Fitzhugh).

Theater review One-man cast carries dark, funny 'Bone'

Monday, July 24, 2006

HOLLY JOHNSON
The Oregonian

Do vaudeville and the dark arts seem likely bedfellows?

They get along just fine in "Herringbone," a terrifying yet mesmerizing play by Tom Cone from the 1970s (later revised into a two-act musical).

It starts with an unsuspecting 8-year-old named George bound for Hollywood during the Depression, who takes stage lessons, finds he's pretty good at tap-dancing, and is suddenly inhabited by the spirit of a louche 35-year-old vaudevillian dwarf. He's so creepy, it's easy to see why his former show-biz partner knocked him off.

Horrific, mesmerizing and funny, the play once featured Joel Grey in an East Coast performance, and artistic director Llewellyn J. Rhoe of Arts Equity Inc. in Vancouver offers a riveting production, with new songs by composer Skip Kennon and lyricist Ellen Fitzbugh.

Taylor Askman, 22, who plays all the roles in this intimate yet hugely complex show, displays an amazing quicksilver talent as he serves up a cadre of characters. He possesses a face actors long for: a combination of cartoon character and classical statue. But it's his ability to sketch characters with depth and mercurial speed that stands out.

One minute he's Louise, George's arch, ambitious Southern mom; the next he's young George, with a tinyvoice and bemused stare. The contrast is stark next to the gnarled, gravelly voiced dwarf Lou, who materializes unannounced. And then there's George's imperious, looming dad, Dot the giggly seductress, and adult George, the grave narrator. The characters seem to materialize from a sideshow in Askman's brain. He's a big talent, and Rhoe has obviously found a vehicle that gives him a big tent in which to move around.

The play is a brutal coming-of-age story with a nod to Kafka or Stephen King, and the musical numbers mesh perfectly. Musical accompaniment by musical director Kevin McElrath on piano is a pleasure to hear. The gaping set, a textured affair in black and red surfaces designed by Rhoe, echoes the maw of hell itself.

Continues at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays through Sept. 1 at Main Street Theatre, 606 Main St., Vancouver; $8-$23, 360-695-3770.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 05:23:39 AM »

Like to make a correction to a DR Matt Hough statement re: Angela Cartwright.

She was not in the I Sing The Body Electric Episode of The Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

It was her sister Veronica.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 05:35:44 AM »

I would like to add to something DR: Rodzonski said in yesterday's notes in reference to an episode of the Andy Griffith Show.

He said:
TV sitcoms used to have more interesting plots, you know? Like little movies instead of just a bunch of jokes strung together.

Although not excusing the lake of plots of sitcoms today, which I hardly watch, the lack of plotting may do to the fact that sitcom episodes now run about 5 minutes less than they did when shows like The Andy Griffith Show were produced. Those were the days when a company sponsered a show for a season. The Andy Griffith Show was brought to you tonight by  The People At Kellog's. The Best To You Each Morning" and their promos were usually part of the opening titles.
Today's sitcoms don't even have opening titles or theme songs. They go right into the episode and play the titles over the action. Some shows don't even have closing titles and have them like a scrawl under the final scene.
When was the last time you saw a sitcom that had a theme song that ran a minute or so?
The Andy Griffith Show would never be made today. I don't think it would ever get passed the pilot stage. Maybe they would even want to replace Andy Griffith with a muscle bound non actor and Aunt Bea would become a gay houseboy.

End of rant.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 05:36:39 AM »

As for the TOD:
Macaroni and Cheese. Still my favorite.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 05:41:32 AM »

Good morning Larry and Fred
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 05:54:42 AM »

Good morning, all!  My lethargy continues, although the cold seems to be going away.  I've got a choral piece to work on at the apartment, so I believe I will spend the time around here.

Yesterday I watched all of the BBC Complete Shakespeare HAMLET, with Derek Jacobi, Patrick Stewart, and Claire Bloom.  What a long play!  And how amazing.  The four hours certainly move at a fast clip.  Once the snowball begins, it continues to roll until Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, Laertes, Polonius, Ophelia, Claudius, Gertrude, and Hamlet are all dead, and the momentum is staggering.  I thought the Polonius could have been funnier, but the cast was quite wonderful.

TOD:  DR George, if your sister continues to use cottage cheese, tell her to mix it with a raw egg.  It helps.

When I was a kid, every Christmas Eve meant a wonderful dinner at Kenny's, a restaurant in Franklin, Ohio, that had a wonderful menu in the early 1960s.  I always had their spaghetti and meatballs, and I still miss it.

Lately, I've become quite fond of tortellini:  I like the myriad of fillings one can purchase.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 06:11:23 AM »

I am also quite fond of spaghetti and meatballs, although it's hard to find a good portion that isn't the size of Mount Everest with meatballs the size of cannonballs.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 06:12:19 AM »

Tortellini (even the dry, pre-packaged kind) with some sliced chicken makes a nice quick dinner when you don't know what else to prepare.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 06:15:16 AM »

Good Morning, Mr. Landau! Nice review for Herringbone.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 06:57:54 AM »

Well, dear readers, here I am in Hesston, Kansas. I think. The family reunion is in full swing and we had quite the adventure yesterday on the pond. I have some pictures, but I can't post them until I get to some place with a better Internet connection.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 07:04:15 AM »

"Apply directly to the forehead." The mysterious Head On commercial was profiled on Slate, here's a link in case anyone's interested:

http://www.slate.com/id/2146382/?nav=tap3

FJL

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 07:18:49 AM »

Ben - Skip thanks you (and I thank you).  

Obviously, he's hoping the other HERRINGBONE reviews are like that one.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 07:54:12 AM »

Like to make a correction to a DR Matt Hough statement re: Angela Cartwright.

She was not in the I Sing The Body Electric Episode of The Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

It was her sister Veronica.

Well, here's what I wrote yesterday, DR Michael Shayne:

<Before I put in MEDIUM, I finshed watching "I Sing the Body Electric" from the third season of THE TWILIGHT ZONE which I had begun last night. David White (Larry Tate from BEWITCHED) played the father and among the children was Veronica Cartwright. She must have done this right before starting THE BIRDS. Anyway, she's marvelous in the show.>

What did you read?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 07:57:23 AM »

Good morning!

It's overcast here but still muggy/warm. We have rain in the forecast, but I suspect it will come later in the day.

I've had a busy morning so it's nice to come here to relax a bit.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 07:59:42 AM »

I truly love the first five seasons of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (the black and white years). Hilarious comedy, some touching moments that can still affect you decades after you first saw the shows, and always lessons proving a good heart triumphs over pettiness and calculation.

Those were indeed different times.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 08:01:03 AM »

I never got to see Herringbone in it's original incarnation though I heard great things about it and the star David Rounds. It was sad when he died.

I have tickets to see the new production of The Fantasticks at Snapple Theatre Center. I wasn't going to see the show (I'm not willing to pay $75 and that, at the time was the only price) but the show is now on TDF with lots of dates so Sunday, August 6th I will be heading out to Snappleland. I have my fingers crossed.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 08:02:39 AM »

I'm sure I'll continue with an episode of two of MEDIUM. I still have Sunday's DEADWOOD and last night's MEDIUM rerun to watch. I think I recorded the LOVESPRING INTERNATIONAL episodes last night too. It's the one with Sean Hayes as a guest star, but though I think it was a rerun, I hadn't seen it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up