Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: I, BKIUS  (Read 54327 times)

FJL

Re:I, BKIUS
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »

Are we there yet?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2006, 09:18:41 PM »

A chance to ramble about a program I viewed the other day. It was a most memorable episode of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, wherin Buddy Ebsen did appear, not as Jed Clampett, no, although that would have been a fine crossover idea, but Buddy was a genuine, what we used to call a "rounder" or, in laymen's terms, a hobo.

A shameless layabout, Ebsen drew the ire of Barney Fife, but he also was a gentle soul with funny stories to tell, which attracted Opie who soon began emulating the hobo's lifestyle: skipping school to go fishing, loitering about, etc.

As Opie's behavior changed, Andy grew fearful, he stopped by the hobo's shed and basically asked him to leave town, at which point a fine debate ensued. Ebsen's hobo suggesting that so what if Opie DID emulate his way of life. Getting by on one's wits and living off the fat of the land was not a bad thing. Andy arguing that Opie was too young to make up his mind on this matter. Given the choice, of course he wouldn't want to go to school.

What followed (SPOILER) was that Buddy Ebsen's ne'er-do-well stole Aunt Bea's purse and got caught by Barney. Of course all of this was a gesture by Ebsen, he stole a purse found in the garbage and purposely got nabbed so Opie would see this and lose faith in his hero. Confronted by Opie, the hobo did not say he did it, but the evidence seemed clear to Opie. A sad moment. Great TV.

Wise Andy, onto the hobo's sacrificial deception, released him to get on the next train out of Mayberry. But the hobo had the last ironic thought, for you see, in helping lead Opie down Andy's righteous path, he had really been a party to Opie's loss of trust. To preserve Opie, Andy allowed Opie's innocence to be destroyed. And as the hobo rode the train away (this was not on the episode, just in my head) he had to feel more certain than ever that his way of life was the most honest of all.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2006, 09:23:06 PM »

Today, we still had only limited power at work. One of our online editors, poor fellow who also lives in a building with no power—while his neighbors across the street run their ACs; that's how strange this thing is—has to shave at work because he has no hot water at home.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2006, 09:25:01 PM »

Rodzinski, I can't imagine any TV show nowadays showing something like that without the audience being hit over the head by the message.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2006, 09:33:26 PM »

TV sitcoms used to have more interesting plots, you know? Like little movies instead of just a bunch of jokes strung together.

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2006, 09:45:10 PM »

Now this sounds like a fun documentary, and right up my alley! Have any of your New Yorkers seen it yet?

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/news/wire/sns-ap-dance-silver-belles,0,5365268.story?coll=sns-ap-entertainment-headlines

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2006, 10:13:39 PM »

Well, I officially hate July and wish it to be over - maybe then we can get back to normal here at haineshisway.com.  So many errant and truant.  I'm telling you, I'm a loose cannon and things are precarious, oh, yes, things are precarious.  In fact, things are precariously precarious if you must know.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2006, 10:22:27 PM »

Well, I officially hate July and wish it to be over

I agree with you. July is always a difficult month to endure. So is August.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2006, 10:23:15 PM »

On the positive side -- summer is half over!  

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2006, 10:25:16 PM »

By the way -- the woman that the tv show is based on -- the medium woman -- she is local, and she doesn't seem to have any ideas about our serial killers.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2006, 10:32:14 PM »

I agree with you. July is always a difficult month to endure. So is August.

There are no holidays in August, at all. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2006, 10:45:31 PM »

I've finished my four I Claudius episodes for the evening (three to go) and there is not a single misstep as of yet.  Brilliant.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up