Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD  (Read 103715 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2006, 08:05:01 AM »

Hello to DR Sandra reporting from Hesston, Kansas.

According to the weathermen, today should be our last HOT day for a week. A cold snap is expected, with temps in the low 100s.  Brrrr.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2006, 08:05:42 AM »

I also recorded GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES yesterday, and I watched the opening number last night before I snapped the TV off. A bomb. Lackluster tune, a camera glued to the floor, and the women in leopard print gowns that makes them both look HUGE. (I guess they were trying for a copy of the "Little Girls from Little Rock" smash opening from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, but this didn't cut the mustard at all.

I've only seen this movie once many years ago (on TV). TCM's print looked sharp as could be and it's in CInemascope, so they've got it with its proper wide letterbox.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2006, 08:06:34 AM »

Nice to see DR Sandra for a second.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2006, 08:14:22 AM »

BK, I heartily recommend that you DO rewatch I, CLAUDIUS. There are so many characters especially in the earlier episodes, it took me a couple viewings to get all of the relationships straight and to equate who various people are when they grew up (especially when played by different actors as children and then later as adults).

I did some research this morning on the show. It's an embarrassment to note that though the series was nominated for the Limited Series Emmy, and so was the director (both lost to HOLOCAUST which carried off most of the major prizes that year), not a single one of those marvelous actors was nominated in ANY category! Isn't that astonishing! You won't find better acting anywhere, and they couldn't find room even for Derek Jacobi in the nominations list!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2006, 08:19:16 AM »

BK, it's been a little hot and muggy in Kentucky for a few weeks here in July, but nothing like the inferno you're describing in LA. In fact, the summer has been pretty mild, all things considered.  So when are you coming?

I remember a fair amount of nudity in I, Claudius when it ran on PBS.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2006, 08:23:47 AM »

Hiya, folks. Oh, the interminable waiting in this heat! meanwhile, up at the cabin, the temps are in the high 70's, cooling off into the 50's at night... maybe by late next week...

Well, I have a reading on Sept. 2 in Woodinville - so I cobbled a workshop series together for the week previous. I'll do three 2-hour sessions at the Redmond Library, talking to folks about writing and publishing and reading one's work aloud for promotional purposes. I'm writing a grant ap to present to the Redmond Arts Commission - Get The Money!!!! They just published a shortened version of my BMI grant writing article in their summer newsletter - now they'll see it in action... Anyway, the press releases for the workshops and the reading are what we call Free Ink, for those of you promoting your own work. Articles and announcements are WAY better than advertising, and they certainly cost much less!!! And if you can offer something like a lecture or workshop around your own performance dates, it does generate interest and create at least a small buzz. Which helps sell your book or show or whatever.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2006, 08:25:30 AM »

At some point, I really do have to get to the library and check out I, CLAUDIUS!!!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2006, 08:34:04 AM »

The sun has come out! (Just what we need.  NOT!) I guess the rain will arrive much later in the day. I don't see any storm clouds at the moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2006, 08:51:54 AM »

I'm heading downstairs now to get some things done before I start fixing lunch. No pasta for me today - steak and baked potato.

WBBL.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2006, 08:55:08 AM »

After a long battle with my laptop and the alleged wireless network thingy, here I am again on my brother's laptop.

Any way, yesterday was quite an exciting day. First, we had an adventure on the high seas. My cousin Amanda and my brand new cousin-in-law Caleb went paddleboating and got their boat stuck in some underwater vegetation in the pond. My little cousins Kerrick and Andy decided to go rescue them in another paddleboat (how, I'm not sure), but the rule is that they had to be accompanied by someone sixteen or over. I was the only person sixteen or over fool enough to go along with their scheme. I knew it wouldn't work, but, you know, I hadn't been paddleboating in a while and I figured we might as well. So we jumped in a paddleboat and got stuck ourselves within two minutes. My dad and cousin Dave came out with a big ol' rope and rescued all of us.

I left my camera on the shore, so the only pictures I have were taken after all the excitement was over. Here is everybody standing around looking at the boat for no particular reason.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:03:12 AM by Sandra »
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2006, 08:58:19 AM »

And then came our traditional game of Scum. Most of our regular Scum players didn't come to the reunion this time, so I taught the younger crowd how to play. They are very excited about coming back in two years to play again.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2006, 09:00:10 AM »

And here is my little cousin Mikalah, who really liked my hat.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2006, 09:10:19 AM »

My gosh. There are cousins I've never even heard of.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2006, 09:20:47 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I awoke drenched in sweat so it must be HOT outside already.  Which means if I'm to jog it will have to be soon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2006, 09:24:39 AM »

Misery!

That's what life is like in Oakland CA these days.

Another day of HEAT is forecast.  Things aren't supposed to start cooling down until tomorrow or Thursday.

Most folks in these parts don't have/have never needed air conditioning.

I find I spend all my time at home trying to cool down the house....closing off a room, adjusting fans.  After sunset I redirect my efforts to capitalizing on any kind of breeze I can generate by opening my front door and trying to dispel heat from my bedroom...and to get a cross-breeze going from my balcony to the front door.

We are having, coolish nights....good enough to have cool air being drawn in by the fans.  But it's midnight or later before my bedroom cools sufficiently to sleep.

And then it's fitful sleep.

I had been sleeping so well for such a nice stretch of time that this 11-day old heat spell has totally discombobulated me.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »

True about sitcom length, Michael S. In fact, that is another reason to enjoy DVDs. I know some older sitcoms (like the Brady Bunch) that had scenes cut out of them in order for their reruns to allow for more commercials. With DVDs, hopefully the originally aired eps are restored.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:42 AM »

My gosh. There are cousins I've never even heard of.

This cracked me up.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2006, 09:57:33 AM »

The editing of the Mary Tyler Moore Show for syndication seemed particularly barbaric.  I'd be looking out for favorite moments and they'd be gone.

FJL

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2006, 10:00:14 AM »

Of course, there was also the editing of The Carol Burnett Show into half-hour chunks, which somehow never felt right.  I had to stop watching after four or five syndicated half-hour episodes.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »

Dear George: Tis true, August has no holidays.

It's got plenty of birthdays, however!

That's true!  My father's birthday is August 20th and my mother's mother's birthday was August 19th.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »

Is the Oregonian a major paper in the Portland/Vancouver WA area?  I found this very nice review in the Oregonian of the Vancouver WA production of HERRINGBONE,  the show for which Skip wrote the music (with book by Tom Cone and lyrcs by Ellen Fitzhugh).

Theater review One-man cast carries dark, funny 'Bone' .... <SNIP>

I'm pretty sure it's a major paper.  Some of the libraries buildings where I work get it every day.  And that's a great review!  I'm glad it's running until September.  I might take a chance and see it. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2006, 10:20:04 AM »

It is quite nice out today. At 10 a.m., when it is usually 100+, it is only 95F. It is very cloudy and stormy looking. It would be nice to have a good drenching rain. Usually we get a haboob or lightening, followed by a tease of a sprinkle.

Many of the plants we planted last summer at the church have died this last week. Their roots were not established enough to endure the heat we've had.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »

I want a haboob - I'd even take a haboob job.  Back from the jog - not quite as hot as yesterday morning, but close, very close.

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2006, 11:29:24 AM »

Looking at weather.com, it looks like it will cool off in LA to highs in the upper 70s just in time for my arrival on Friday.  Hang in there BK, I will bring you coolness...or something like that

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »

DR Sandra, great pics.  I love that everyone is looking at the boat for no apparent reason...sounds like something my family would do,.

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2006, 11:31:02 AM »

Well, back to the salt mines.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2006, 11:54:26 AM »

TPunk and me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »

Everyone else is gone and cruisin' for a Brucin'

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »

Less than fifty postings until I achieve my new plateau.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2006, 11:59:32 AM »

Go for it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up