Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: BEATING A HASTY RETREAT  (Read 20406 times)

Tomovoz

Re:BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2003, 11:26:21 PM »

DR Ann: Should there have been paper bags over the heads of the cast members? Indeed where is Jed?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2003, 11:29:53 PM »

We're havin' a party in one half-hour.  Perhaps we'll have a posting frenzy.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2003, 11:32:17 PM »

I've had Oliver songs running through my head all day.  You cannot imagine the funny looks one gets when she's standing the middle of Kinkos at 10 o clock at night, alternately swearing at the copier or singing "Pick a Pocket" at full voice.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2003, 11:33:24 PM »

"Havin' A Party"; obviously a Sam Cooke Reference BK. Shall we also be "Twisting The Night  Away"?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2003, 11:35:33 PM »

I'm here, I'm here!  Just been catching up and reading and reading and catching up...

Good evening.

Two good shows today.  And Baayork Lee, our choreographer, came back to see the matinee - and she looked fabulous too!  It was so nice catching up with her, and, hopefully, we'll be able to get together in NYC when I'm up there in January.  And she seemed really pleased with the condition of the show - and her choreography.  ;)  -I guess we'll see what notes are on the board tomorrow.

And only one show tomorrow at 7:30!  Yeah, I can sleep in - again.... well, I usually sleep in anyway, so...  ah, well...  And speaking of tomorrow...

I'm in the tomorrow's edition of The Washington Post.  Well, at least a pic of me is.  One of the staff writers did an article about pits and pit musicians.  He sat in the pits of the ongoing shows in town, and his write up appears in tomorrow's (Sunday's) Washington Post's Arts section.  I'm not quoted in the article - I don't think I talked to him anyway - but my pic is there on the front page of the section!  -We got an advance copy today.  *Unfortunately, the on-line edition only has the pic of the Mamma Mia! pit guys... ah, well.. maybe they'll rotate it out.. or not...  In any case, here's the link to the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59885-2003Dec12.html

It's fun...  Although I'm not sure I like being called a "pitbull"... And I just hope that our "late player" (read the article) doesn't get offended - or defensive - for being mentioned in the article (even though his name is not given).  -He's actually been kind of touchy from day one.. good player, but...

*I also have a tummy-ache right now... I got home from the show, and my mom was decorating the tree - they finally got one tonight.  Well, the nieces and nephews, of course, were still up and bouncing off the walls.  -John Michael and Alexandra were taking turns entertaining us by singing Christmas carols... and some Pokemon songs.  However, they would only "perform" if they were properly introduced.  "And now, ladies and gentleman..."  It was fun... For the first two or three times...  Thankfully, their steam eventually ran out, and a nice calm came over the household.  Oh, back to the tummy-ache...  Well, with all that activity going on, I had to help myself to some ice cream... and some cookies.  And since I had actually had a pretty healthy day eating-wise - actually two days - I think my body is going, "Sugar?!?!? You gave me sugar again?!?!?"   :-X

As for 24 hours stores:  Most Super Wal-Marts are 24 hours.  The regular ones aren't.  In northern Virginia, there is one or two SWM, however, a couple of the grocery store chains stay open 24 hours too: Safeway (although they usually close during the overnight hours on the weekend), Harris Teeter (they finally made their way up here a few years ago), and I think there's still a 24 hour Giant around.. as well as a couple of CVSs.  However, my absolute favorite 24 hour chain has to be Meijer!  I love me some Meijer!  Clean, friendly, well laid out, good prices, and generally a very happy atmosphere.  When I worked in Indiana one summer, going to Meijer was the highlight of my week.  A bunch of us would go after the show one night - usually a Thursday.  They would be restocking - and actually dancing in the aisles as they restocked.  And sometimes, we'd dance with them... Unless, of course, you came upon a "No Dancing Aisle".   :D Ah, that was fun!  When I did my one bus and truck tour, whenever we passed by a Meijer, we usually ended up making a stop.

And as for Michel Legrand songs:  All have been mentioned, but I do especially like:
Windmills of Your Mind - First song I played in high school jazz band
The Promise - A voice teacher I played for would give this to her students.  A great wedding song.
Watch What Happens - Just a neat hook.  And Rare Silk did a nice version of it.
Yentl - I really like the songs from the movie, in particular, "The Way He Makes Me Feel". -Is that the right title?

OK - I think that's enough for now....  Sheesh, it's only taken me about an hour to compose this post.. the joys of multi-tasking and multi-chatting....
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2003, 11:36:55 PM »

Copiers are such friendly animals Ann. They should be sung to to encourage their reproduction system to go into action. "As Long As He Needs Me" may have had a more positive result. (You can change the pronoun as I am not aware of the gender of your specific copier).
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2003, 11:40:12 PM »

On an unrelated note, where the hell is DR Jed.  I've got finals to study for, and without him to distract me, I'm in real danger of actually getting something done!

Well, Jed did have two shows today, so he may have just gone straight to bed when in got home -- Yeah, right!  Maybe they are having a cast party.

Ann  You will be happy to know that the gun actually worked tonight, although we did have the volume up on the sound system, in case it didn't work again.  In fact the last scene was 100X better than last night.  Of couse tonight's show had a different Nancy, a different Oliver, a different Charley, and a different Dodger; so the whole show played differently.  I am not saying it was better, just different.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2003, 11:54:46 PM »

Oh, and DR Maya - Did you report on your Mamma Mia! evening?  I've played a couple of weeks for the second national company.  A total piece of fluff - and they know it - and a lot of fun.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2003, 11:58:38 PM »

Glad to hear the gun did what it was supposed to do.  I'm almost tempted to come back and see it on a b-cast night.  I always like seeing a show with both casts if I can.  
Wait...different Nancy?  Only one was listed in the program...I'm guessing you meant Charlotte.  
But I might not have the chance to see it again...unless pass conditions prevent me from going to see our favorite ghost in Leavenworth next weekend.  My mother threatened me with painful consequences if I drove in bad weather...so fingers crossed for no snow

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2003, 12:02:21 AM »

Must get this in before the "rollover"... My favorite Michel Legrand "moment" was when he was on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz.  They played "I Will Wait For You" in all twelve keys - modulating up a half-step after each time through.  AND they would play it in a different style each time - ragtime, blues, waltz, czardas, etc.  I remember stopping whatever I was doing, and just listening in awe.  I wonder if that's one of the programs available on CD.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2003, 12:20:28 AM »

No, Ann, actually I did mean Nancy (I had forgotten that we had two Charlottes).  Our Nancy, became very sick two weeks ago, and there was talk that she wouldn't be able to do the show.  By sheer chance, our director ran into the girl that played Dodger in the production they did five years ago, and who has now blossomed into a beautiful and talented young lady.  After looking over the script for two days, and with her memories of the previous production still in her mind (she has the video), she came into rehearsal and nailed the role of Nancy.  When it became clear that our original Nancy would be well enough to do the show, the director, out of gratitude, gave our stand-in Nancy four of the performances.

You don't need to ask how the other Nancy or her parents felt about that decision.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2003, 12:27:05 AM »

Hmmm... 3:24AM here on the east coast... and no new column yet... Late night posting frenzy?  We'll see about that... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2003, 12:27:56 AM »

Well, OK 3:27 by the site's clock...

And, now that it's 3:28....  Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2003, 12:36:47 AM »

Last call - party's a startin' now and so is the late-night posting frenzy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up