Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A MONDAY KIND OF VIBE  (Read 24236 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A MONDAY KIND OF VIBE
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 07:06:21 AM »

I bought SHE LOVES ME OBC for $1.99 at Hook's Drug Store....

Where did everyone else get their SHE LOVES ME double album Red Cover release from MGM?

At a supersized department store called Atlantic Mills which predated K-Mart, Woolco, and other similar stores (Wal-Mart wasn't even a blip on the map here then).

I also got the soundtrack to GYPSY there, both for some ridiculous price like $1.98.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006, 07:07:14 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Two Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2006, 07:08:08 AM »

How great to see DR TD for a moment. Wish I had been in the forum when he was here so I could have said hello "live."

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2006, 07:09:37 AM »

Best buy I ever found at a yard sale was a pair of circular audio speakers which I got for $5 for the pair. They worked perfectly and I used them for many years. One has since burned out, but I really loved those speakers (in my office now), and the one that still works still functions beautifully even after all these years.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 07:09:47 AM »

Thank you sweet Kerry!

Yes, today is 11 years together for Anthony and me. Not quite as long as 33 years but we're working on it  ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2006, 07:11:24 AM »

Happy Anniversary to Ben and Ant!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2006, 07:11:47 AM »

As for EBay, I've been lucky enough to win a good many items I wanted, and they were treasures to me, but I don't know how special they would be for anyone else, so I won't bore anyone with details.

The most recent acquisition I wrote about last week, that long out of print Criterion laserdisc of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN that I had long wanted. Got it for less than $15. Its list price would have been $99 or more all those years ago when laserdiscs were the best quality you could get in home video.

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2006, 07:12:10 AM »

Ben, I returned home to find your CD!  Thanks.  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I will and am very glad to have it.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 07:12:29 AM »

Well, happy anniversary indeed for you, DR Ben, and you ever-loving Ant.

Ben

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 07:14:15 AM »

There are stoop sales sometimes in Manhattan but very few garage sales. We do pass them when we are out on Long Island but have rarely stopped. We do hit those indoor places sometimes. The large "antique" malls with many different vendor booths. We have found some fun things, including sheet music for Civilization (AKA Bongo, Bongo, Bongo, I
Don't Want to Leave the Congo) and a very nice trivet/tile for our small kitchen decoration scheme.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2006, 07:14:21 AM »

A new episode of THE CLOSER tonight, and the TV critic for USA TODAY said the episode was out of the ordinary for the show. Won't say any more so as not to spoil any surprises, but it certainly makes me eager to see it.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »

Dear Esteemed, lithe, guapo, studly, and even-more-svelt BK,

Yes, after the fun of this past weekend and the warmth of your reception to this "prodigal son," I come to the threshhold of the BK Living Room to begin my intense and fervent atonement for time away and happiness missed here in your aura!  I have a large bowl of bitter herbs which is sitting right next to my laptop for just such an occasion.  

I send out a big Hainsie/Kimlet hug to DRs who are friends from earlier postings here, and I look forward to finding out about newer DRs......... who at this point are looking at a strange name and probably saying "....MusicGuy? What is it.....fish?!"

td

• td
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 07:28:26 AM »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THOSE DEAR READERS BEN AND ANT!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MusicGuy

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2006, 07:30:07 AM »

I'll have to think about a good find at a thrift store or garage sale.....more on that later.

BUT......I think that "minacious" just might be a slightly ambivalent and unsure feeling that occurs when standing near Tammy Minoff.  But what the hell do I know.

MusicGuy

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2006, 07:31:34 AM »

Just before heading off to a not-very-fun appointment this morning, I just want to send most sincere best wishes and love to

THE FABULOUS BEN & ANT !!!!!!

Happy Anniversary!

Ben

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2006, 07:32:19 AM »

Thank you friends for the kind words.

We will be going out to dinner tonight in Boystown (also known as Chelsea).

It's so nice to see Kerry and Music Guy in the same day! Welcome back!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2006, 07:36:09 AM »

Welcome back, DR Music Guy. Hope to see you often!

Hey, td!  :D

td

• td
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2006, 07:37:03 AM »

I see MBarnum, and all I can say is "Salaam Namaste!"

Ben

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2006, 07:39:37 AM »

For those of you who don't know, MusicGuy is an erudite and extremely talented player of pipe organs. He has many CDs and here are links to just two of them

Stairway to Paradise

A Tribute to George Wright

Ben

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2006, 07:40:14 AM »

TD, it's nice to have you back where you belong!

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2006, 07:42:47 AM »

Off to get cleaned up now for my lunch date with best friend John.

WBBL.

td

• td
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2006, 07:44:10 AM »

TD, it's nice to have you back where you belong!

I went away from the lights of HainesHisWay. . .

(speaking of which, one of the packages I received recently was the Merm's DOLLY on cd . . .)

And about being back where I belong. . .I'll be in NYC for the Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner concert at Town Hall in October. . .(another recent arrival was my ticket, courtesy of EvilTwin Janet Fanale, who actually got it from Scott Siegel)!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2006, 08:03:41 AM »

We will be going out to dinner tonight in Boystown (also known as Chelsea).

Happy Anniversary!

I wonder how many gayborhoods are known as Boystown?  West Hollywood, certainly.  Chicago has one, I know.

Are you and Ant heading to a particular place for dinner, or will you be noshing around?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2006, 08:12:48 AM »

We will go to our standby, Chelsea Grill, a nice, homey place with good food and pleasant atmosphere. We will probably then trawl around looking for a nice dessert place.

Anthony's cousin lives near the Boystown neighborhood in Chicago. That name never really caught on in Minneapolis when I was living there. The city has (or had, I haven't lived there for 26 years) a couple of different GLBTQ areas, Uptown near Lake Calhoun and the Loring Park area near where the old Guthrie used to be located.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »

Happy Anniversary to DR Ben and Ant!!!!!!!!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2006, 08:53:18 AM »

Re:  today's column title.  As I have recounted here before (what else is new?  ;D), one of my first dialogues with BK was years ago when I asked if he had written the song "Driftin'" found on an obscure late 60s LP by a Mamas and Papas knock-off group called The Collage.  BK's priceless answer to me was, "I would never write a song with a dropped "g" at the end of a word."  (The song was actually written by Bobby Kimmel, and it's a very nice one, dropped "g" and all).  Well, anyhoo, another great song on that record is "Any Day's a Sunday Afternoon" (by the immortal team of Joelson-Careaga) with this a propos chorus:

It's a Monday afternoon on Friday
Thursday afternoon on Wednesday
Any day's a Sunday afternoon

(This was 1968--it was hard to keep track of days whilst stoned out of one's mind.   :D).

I've been trying to track down info on this group for years and years.  I even had a nice email exchange with Perry Botkin, who did the rather baroque orchestrations for the album (think Sgt. Pepper, only more-so), and even he couldn't remember anything other than that he had done it).  Do any of you Angelinos know about the group?

TOD:  what's eBay?   ;)  I've found many a treasure at thrift stores and online.  Long before the internet took over and the fairly recent spate of CD re-releases, there was a fantastic used record store in downtown Seattle (just a little north of the downtown core, can't remember the name, but it was the owner's last name and I think it was Italian or Greek), and I found so many sealed, rare cast albums there--everything from The Mad Show to The Zulu and the Zayda.  I dropped big bucks there through the years.

And through a connection I made on eBay I ended up with Frances Farmer's 1935 passport, which is probably one of the rarest pieces of FF memorabilia I own.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2006, 09:18:41 AM »

Looking forward to last night's DEADWOOD and ENTOURAGE at some point today. DEADWOOD has gotten to a breaking point and something climactic is about to happen. Can't wait to see what it is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2006, 09:50:30 AM »

At 10 AM, my Dad was dismissed from hospital, by 11 AM he and I were into his car Dolly (named by him for Dolly Parton because of the big headlights).  We did a fast sightseeing jaunt, then a turn to Fed Ex for me to send work back to NYC, and then a stop at the cemetary because he wanted to see my Mother's (and his) grave.  That was abad move on my part because of his frailty, and I never thought he'd leave the place alive.  My brother Randy has now given me hell and I am feeling quite chastized.  I can't wait for the browbeating from the evil brother!

My dad is now safely sitting on the porch of Randy's home, and I am looking for quick flights back to NYC.

DRBen, happy anniversary!  

DR td, welcome back.  I've missed you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2006, 10:16:49 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, after an excellent night's sleep (save for the wrong number phone call at four in the morning from Georgia - a person, not the State).  

It's a Happy Day when I see Kerry, MusicGuy and td all posting.  That's what I'M talkin' about!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2006, 10:20:37 AM »

Elmo - hurry home... you did a good thing, taking the old man out to the cemetary. When my mom was a couple of weeks from death, she wanted to go visit her parents' graves one last time. Even if it was sad. Nothing wrong with sad. You did a good thing.

Happy Anniversary, Ben and Anthony! Eleven years... may you have the next eleven in good health and sweet companionship!

Thrift shops!!!! Only place I shop for clothes. Especially the Value Village in Redmond WA!!! The Microsoft millionaires go on these diets, you see, and lose six dress sizes. Then they head over to Nordstrom and Bellevue Square, and buy ALL NEW CLOTHES in size 2... before they can cut the tags off, well, what can I say -- some of the weight has crept back onto their bones... so they take all the size 2 new stuff to Value Village for a tax write off - and head out to buy more STUFF!!! So, as I browse on Monday - 99-cent day - I sometimes find these amazingly beautiful brand new clothes in size 2, many with the tags still attached!!! I must have over a hundred dollars worth of clothes in my closet by now!!

PS - It has spoiled me... I can't pay $15 for anything any more...
PennyO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up