Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOME STRETCH  (Read 16601 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE HOME STRETCH
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »

PAGE 3
[/b][/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2006, 02:27:44 PM »

DR Pogue, did you ever read Otto Friedrich's earlier book, Decline and Fall, about the demise of the Saturday Evening Post?  It's a fascinating book and was one of my favorites from my childhood (weird, I know).  I have a collection of SEP's dating back to the 19th century and actually wrote a musical about the magazine when I was a kid.  Oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2006, 02:28:40 PM »

It was called "Saturday's Child," not to be confused with "Saturday's Warrior," the "Mormon Musical."  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2006, 02:38:39 PM »

For those who found the "Official HHW Trivia Question" today easy, here's one of my own that I posted here a long time ago that I don't believe anyone ever solved.  If you can answer all the questions, email me jeffrey_kauffman@msn.com and maybe I'll have a sparkling prize of my own to send you.  :)

In a celebrated theatrical season this play was expected to be a major hit, yet it lasted barely a few weeks on Broadway.  The cast reunited several stars, featured players and production crew from one of the biggest hits on Broadway from a season previous to this play.  Its director, still young, would soon achieve legend status.  The play's author would become famous in a field completely unrelated to show business.  While touring pre-Broadway, this play had an alternate title and an extremely unusual billing situation.

Though the play was not successful on Broadway, it was filmed a few years later in a highly regarded production.  This production used none of the Broadway cast, but featured several stellar and well-known performers.  One of these stars was quite famous in their day but is now known chiefly for their relatives. Another star, if remembered today at all, is remembered chiefly for being married to a stage and screen legend.  Another performer, just starting out, would one day be a costar in one of the best-remembered and most unique television series of all time.  And a bit player would go on to amass a highly respectable resume, despite having the same name of one of the best known movie stars of all time.

Name the play
Name at least 2 cast members from the previous hit and previous hit
Name the director
Name the author and the non-show business field they were famous for
Name the pre-Broadway title and unusual billing situation
Name the film star famous for their relatives and at least 2 of the relatives
Name the star married to a stage and screen legend, and the legend
Name the performer and the tv series they went on to star in
Name the bit player with the shared name

There, that should keep y'all busy for a while.

A pox on you, JMK!  I can't even get the first contest solved.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »

Streets of Laredo
Cockels and Mussels - or is it Molly Malone....."In Dublin's fair city where the girls are so pretty..."
Louise - Bonnie Raitt

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2006, 02:48:49 PM »

Back from tripping around town...stopped at Star of India and had me some Indian buffet then went next door to Sweet and Spice where I purchased a few CDs and on DVD and chatted with the guy at the counter.

Then I went and bought some Tums.

Then to Border's...I shall soon be fluent in the Hindi language, that is after my ten 30 minute lessons on 5 CDs! Then maybe I can watch some of these Bollywood movies that don't have subtitles!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2006, 02:49:47 PM »

DR Elmore:

"And When  I Die," by Laura Nyro, recorded by Blood, Sweat, & Tears

Sorry, but that's a song by Ms Nyro, not a folk song.  I need to put a list together and see how many have Appalachian origin or variants.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2006, 02:50:16 PM »

Back from more errands.  Am really not wanting to jog but will not be happy if I don't.  It's very hot out, so I'll wait until three or three-thirty so it will hopefully cool down a bit.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2006, 02:51:12 PM »

I do not normally get heartburn at all, but after one of these trips to Star of India's all you can eat luncheon buffets for only $6.95..... :o

It must be the curry....or the nice looking Hindi men who work there.....

Let's see what is that one Bollywood SONG..oh, yes...MY DIL (HEART) GOES DUMMA, DUMMA
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 02:51:44 PM by MBarnum »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2006, 02:58:03 PM »

I appreciate all the help.  I love both "Barbary Allen," or as she's called in several Appalachian variants "Barb'ry Allen," and "Molly Malone."  I don't know if that Irish song about a fishmonger made it to America or not.  I see a trip to the NYPL Music Collection in my near future.

I have a few Appalachian collections from the 1930s by John Jacob Niles, but part of the problem with Niles' collections, is that he often originally published songs as folk songs, like "I Wonder As I Wander," then later copyrighted them as his own composition, and I have no idea if he really wrote "Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair" or anything he's given credit for.  I'll go to Google.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2006, 03:09:55 PM »

Bingo!  EIGHTY APPALACHIAN FOLK SONGS, an out-of-print collection by Cecil Sharp, who left England on three trips to explore English folk song variants in the Appalachian Mountains, 1916-1918.  If you've seen the beautiful film SONGCATCHER with Aidan Quinn, Janet McTeer, and Emmy Rossum,  the English gentleman showing up at the end of the film is based on Cecil Sharp.

I'll check the NYPL on Tuesday for a copy.  The title is so familiar, I think I may have one buried in a storage carton.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:17:21 PM by elmore3003 »

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2006, 03:27:06 PM »

American Favorite Ballads -Folkways Recordings - may be of help.  "Banks Of The Ohio" is listed and many other Pete Seeger arrangements/versions of traditional songs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2006, 03:32:32 PM »

Good afternoon all
I did a very un-me-like thing today and went to a bridal store to try on wedding dresses.  I went all by myself, but brought along my cell camera so I could snap pics to share if I wanted to.  I found the whole experience rather odd, I have to say.  Everything in that place was overpriced and much of it was somewhat silly.  A few pretty dresses, but I can get one online much cheaper.  Funny thing it is, being a bride...

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2006, 03:35:35 PM »

Not that anyone would care but our last night's viewing was "The English Patient".  I found the film confusing and less than satisfying when I first viewed it a decade ago.

What a wonderful film. I'm so glad I decided to revisit it.  DP Colin enjoyed it too.  He loved "A Very Long Engagement" and sees similarities in the construction of the film narrative.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2006, 03:38:34 PM »

I gave up long ago trying to tackle the triva questions.  My weak little brain simply cannot grasp such difficult puzzles.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

Hello DR Ann.  Funnier if DR Jed was shopping  instead. I am sure there is a bartered bride or perhaps a buttered bride line there somewhere but it is only breakfast time here in OZ and my mind has not gone much beyond buttered toast.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2006, 03:42:12 PM »

C'mon, for cryin' out loud, let's get some postin' goin' on.  I see lots of dear readers - so, in addition to reading, post something.

Finally jogged - very difficult but I'm glad I did it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2006, 03:42:29 PM »

My Mother made 100s of Wedding Dresses.  He view was that "Simple" lines were always best.  The photographs viewed in a few decades after the wedding are where the "slaves to fashion" really stand out for all the wrong reasons.  Hairstyles likewise!!
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2006, 03:42:47 PM »

JMK, never read Friedrich's book on the Saturday Evening Post, but I used to read the Saturday Evening Post as a kid, plus Life and Look...alas, all gone now save for that anemic newspaper weekly supplement that masquerades as Life.   All casualties to our increasingly illiterate society.

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2006, 03:43:40 PM »

And no DR TCB my mother did not make frocks for her son.
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2006, 03:45:38 PM »

I was busy trying to avoid the new trend of strapless dresses.  I cannot bear the thought of wearing something that I'll have to tug upwards all night, not to mention it's simply not flattering on girls of my shape.  Simple lines are indeed better, I think.  

JMK

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2006, 03:51:13 PM »

JMK, never read Friedrich's book on the Saturday Evening Post, but I used to read the Saturday Evening Post as a kid, plus Life and Look...alas, all gone now save for that anemic newspaper weekly supplement that masquerades as Life.   All casualties to our increasingly illiterate society.

Actually (and quite sadly), the SEP was bought several years ago by a fundamentalist husband and wife (surname SerVaas, IIRC), who turned it into a bi-monthly nostalgia rag with lots of medical columns for seniors (the wife has some sort of medical degree, again IIRC).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:52:01 PM by JMK »

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2006, 03:53:28 PM »

Bingo!  EIGHTY APPALACHIAN FOLK SONGS, an out-of-print collection by Cecil Sharp, who left England on three trips to explore English folk song variants in the Appalachian Mountains, 1916-1918.  If you've seen the beautiful film SONGCATCHER with Aidan Quinn, Janet McTeer, and Emmy Rossum,  the English gentleman showing up at the end of the film is based on Cecil Sharp.

I'll check the NYPL on Tuesday for a copy.  The title is so familiar, I think I may have one buried in a storage carton.

Oh, THAT kind of folk song.  I saw Songcatcher on HBO in a hotel room one time when traveling on business.  Now that you mention it, I think DH Richard would like it, what with his interest in shape-note singing and all.  We'll get it from Netflix.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2006, 04:06:43 PM »

DR FJL has solved all but two elements of my trivia question.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]W [/move] [move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]O [/move]   [move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]W!!!![/move]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 04:07:46 PM by JMK »

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2006, 04:09:30 PM »

DR Ginny -- I love that someone (besides myself) remembers this book by Ben Hall.  Ben was a staff writer at Time, and had a great love of the ornate 20s & 30s movie palaces that were built.  Ben also became a good friend and an early supporter and booster of mine, and he even wrote the jacket notes to my second LP recording that I made.  He had a great townhouse on Christopher Street in the Village, and even had a small Wurlitzer pipe organ in his townhouse!  He was a most interesting and delightful person......unfortunately, he met an early and unpleasant death.

DR MusicGuy - I first used the book for a senior American culture paper I wrote in college.  Eventually, I came to own a copy.  Did I buy it myself or did someone like DR Elmore give it to me?  Can't remember, but I was just leafing through it and came across a reference that would have had no meaning to me until just a few years ago.  That was to the organ in the Great Auditorium in Ocean Grove, NJ.  In 1999, we spent a delightful week at a bed & breakfast in OG,NJ, and enjoyed recitals and worship services in the Auditorium.

Sorry to hear of Mr. Hall's fate.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2006, 04:25:05 PM »

The Internet explorer on my computer is acting up again, so i can only post from Skip's Safari on his computer.  I know Internet explorer is no longer supported on Mac, but I haven't had problems for months until yesterday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2006, 04:40:36 PM »

Skip is on safari?  I hope he wore some cool clothing, like Jon Hall.

FJL

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2006, 05:00:07 PM »

Which reminds me, regarding a recent TOD, i think I failed to mention the Kilimanjaro safari at Disney's Animal kingdom as a favorite amusement park ride.  :)

FJL

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2006, 05:04:07 PM »

JMK - I have all this useless information floating around in my brain, that helps a lot. :)  Still totally stumped on that last aspect, though.

FJL

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2006, 05:05:59 PM »

I hear there's a production of AIN'T MISBEHAVIN opening at the Two river Theater in New Jersey soon, direcetd by one of our neighbors, so it's time to say, if I can time this right...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up