Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIJOLES MUERTE  (Read 20060 times)

Ben

Re:FRIJOLES MUERTE
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2006, 08:03:28 AM »

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.  :-* Since my husband, daughter and my new employers have all forgotten and I have been feeling very sorry for myself I decided to sneak a quick visit to where I knew I would not be forgotten!

Hmm, sounds like an episode from a certain television show starring the  wacky red headed wife of a Cuban band leader. What was that show called again  ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2006, 08:03:48 AM »

Anxious to see another WILD WILD WEST episode, too so I can finish off that disc in the set. I think there are still two discs of episodes to go. One thing about TV series from the 1950s and 60s on DVD: you get PLENTY of episodes per season!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2006, 08:45:58 AM »

Going to start preparing lunch now and begin the afternoon viewing.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2006, 08:47:57 AM »

Dear Esteemed, non-muerte, productive, and Yangish BK --

Congrats on coming along so successfully on the re-writing for "The Brain," and it was also very good news about the multiple treasures that will be appearing in new CD form soon.

On e of my still all-time favorite cuts on a vocal CD, is of Guy Haines singing "Sail Away" by Sir Noel.  It is a combination of the inflection in the vocal performance, the musical arrangement, and the qualitay of the Coward material itself.

I listen to it when I need to be lifted, transported, and cheered.  And it works!  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2006, 08:48:43 AM »

Googling "Frijoles Muerte", in search of a recipe, I instead found, listed first, a link to a column at Sondheim dot com!  Yes, the very first listing at Google is a piece written by The Real A!

Such halcyon memories.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MusicGuy

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2006, 08:48:49 AM »

Happy birthday to DR Vixmom ......I'm sure the family will do something later for you. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2006, 08:51:36 AM »

Hmm, sounds like an episode from a certain television show starring the  wacky red headed wife of a Cuban band leader. What was that show called again  ;)
I Love a Fidel-Player, perhaps?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2006, 08:54:45 AM »

Happiest of Happy Birthdays to our Vixmom! May this next year finish with abundance and health for all your family and residences! A happy happy happy day to you, from the cloudy and blissfully beautiful Northwest!
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2006, 08:54:56 AM »

Happy Birthday DR VIXMOM!!!!!!!!!

MusicGuy

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2006, 08:55:35 AM »

And to dear Esteemed BK --

I won't have much time to read or post for the next few days, as I'm trying to not leave any loose ends before I have to leave on a business trip.

I will be out of the country from Aug. 21 till Sept. 3rd, and therefore I must respectfully request -

---  an official HHW Hall Pass, from the grand wizard, the great poobah,  the capricious moyl --

And with all of the unbelievable crap and bullshit that has gone on this past week, where is my destination?????

Why, ENGLAND, of course.  

I know God has a sense of humor, but sometimes she is just warped !!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2006, 08:56:27 AM »

Hey, gang - I finally watched My Left Foot last night - WOW. What a performance. From everyone. Who was the kid who did C. Brown as a child?? Oh, my gosh. I took a long time getting to it, because I was afraid it might upset me... but how uplifting and totally remarkable this film is!!!
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »

Hey DR TPunk (and DR Jose whereever you are). Are you ready for the finale of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE tonight?

Who is gonna win?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2006, 09:06:12 AM »

BK, so glad to hear of all your progress on your writing. You really are tremendously productive.
MusicGuy, best of luck on your trip. And aren't you the witty one? Such clever posts!
PennyO, concur on My Left Foot. I, too, have avoided certain films in the past because I was going through a difficult period myself, only to find them very uplifting. Then I felt silly for having avoided them.
TPunk, options ARE good! But they can be a bit overwhelming, can't they?

Jed

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2006, 09:23:27 AM »

Happy birthday, DR Vixmom!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2006, 09:32:36 AM »

ASK BK Question Day #1

You mentioned that you might be releasing other STAGE concerts, a rerelease of Joan Ryan's fab solo album and David Shire at the movies. I was wondering are these all still on track?

Ask BK Question Day #2

Is there any artwork yet for The Brain From Planet X?

The STAGE CDs are on hold until I have a meeting with some guy.  I've told them that if they don't transfer this stuff onto a hard drive they will lose it, but they don't seem to hear it.  If we'd waited another few weeks on the SSS CD there would have been nothing to transfer, as the master tapes were decomposing.  Their problem, not mine.  Joan's album is happening, hopefully next month.  I'm not ready to release the Shire yet, but will.

Yes, there is artwork for The Brain - I'll see if I have it on the computer somewhere.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2006, 09:34:23 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Ah... I have DSL in my apartment!  :)

*Of course, the day after I placed the order, I managed to pick up some "community" Wi-Fi signal here in the area.  It's been nice to be able to use that from time to time instead of dial-up.  *It's amazing how sssssslllloooooowwww dial-up "is" after being used to DSL and cable modem connections.  In any case...

I just finished installing my DSL software and setting up my DSL modem. Thankfully, I already knew how to set things up since the Installation CD seems to be defective. Ah, well...

So....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2006, 09:35:08 AM »

But since I have been able to read today's posts...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2006, 09:35:16 AM »

BK, how are YOU today, sir?

Slept fine, am up (always a good thing) and must go buy some envelopes now and then jog.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2006, 09:35:26 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR vixmom!!!!!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2006, 09:37:04 AM »

DR FJL - Alas, due to the amount of work I have to get done down here over the next week and a half, I'm afraid I won't be able to head up to NYC Sunday afternoon.  -However, I will be coming up Friday for the day... -Will the appetizers be ready by then?  ;)

In any case, I'll be there in spirit.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2006, 09:38:52 AM »

DR Jennifer - Yes... I can't wait for tonight's Finale/Decision Show for "So You Think You Can Dance?".  I'm just wondering what they're going to fill those two hours with.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2006, 09:46:56 AM »

In other news...

Cabaret rehearsals are in full swing.  In fact, they're "swinging" right now.

A big chunk of my work for this production consists of preparing the orchestra parts.  We're using one of the available "combo" of "Flexbo" arrangements, and I'm currently going through them marking cuts and changes.  Alas, a good chunk of those changes are transpositions of a couple of songs.  And I'm doing those transpositions on my computer via Finale (music notation software).  It's actually sort of easy work, but it takes a lot of time, and it tends to get tedious.  Lots of "pushing and placing" of little black dots.  I've been good over the past couple of days pacing myself so that I don't go crazy, but I've been putting in some pretty full days.  And it looks like I'll have a couple of more pretty full days to get through - at least until our first orchestra read on August 29.  So...

My apologies for being errant and truant the past couple of days - and in advance for the next week or so.  I've hit my "groove" with the notation software, and I'm trying my best not to lose that groove.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2006, 09:48:21 AM »

However...

As I mentioned previously, once the show opens, I'll just be on-call since there's no second piano/keyboard in the orchestra.  So the workload will even out in the end.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2006, 09:50:55 AM »

Well... My break is over...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2006, 10:36:19 AM »

Best laid plans...

Der B and I had planned on using my day off to rescue the grandlads from daycare.

Nope, Magic Mommy has them in a day camp this week.  So they don't need rescuing.

We'll probably head up to Lewes (the next town north) for a while.

Our plans to hit Philly tomorrow are still in place, however.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2006, 11:02:34 AM »

Got the envelopes and have jogged, and now I shall begin addressing.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2006, 11:13:21 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VIXMOM!!!!

FJL, your semi-sparkling prize is en route

JR, your semi-lovely photos will be en route tomorrow at the latest.

I am officially middle aged (as if that's a big surprise)--got my first pair of reading glasses yesterday.  Oy.

We have a new arrival at the JMK household.  She is a furry little bundle of Golden Retriever/Black Lab energy we named, in a fit of hilarity, Blanche (those etymologists out there will hopefully get the humor, as she is black).  I'll post a photo soon.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2006, 11:17:29 AM »

Woohoo! Yes, we must see many photos of Blanche!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2006, 11:30:44 AM »

We have a new arrival at the JMK household.  She is a furry little bundle of Golden Retriever/Black Lab energy we named, in a fit of hilarity, Blanche (those etymologists out there will hopefully get the humor, as she is black).  I'll post a photo soon.

Congratulations!  And please post a picture!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2006, 11:36:07 AM »

Hey DR TPunk (and DR Jose whereever you are). Are you ready for the finale of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE tonight?

Who is gonna win?

Dr Jennifer, thank you for reminding me once again....I almost forgot and I really want to see it tonight
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up