Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING NOSTALGIC  (Read 19034 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WAXING NOSTALGIC
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:25:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes waxed nostalgic, I'll be waxing my car, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're waxing nostalgic for the favorite moosic.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 12:39:10 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WAXING NOSTALGIC
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 12:26:36 AM »

And the word of the day is:  VATICINATE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 12:37:51 AM »

"Vaticanate".  Italian pop group disqualified in the semifinals of the 1959 Eurovision Song contest when it was realised that their chosen song was based on a rather racey Gregorian Chant. The song has actually won the prestigous San Remo Song Festival's chorale award earlier in the same year.
"Ciao Ciao Bambina" (Poive) was the replacement entry for Italy in the Eurovison Final that year.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:05:57 AM »

First story about the Topic of the Day:  sometime in the mid-to-late 1980s, I was at  Tower Records in Tacoma (no longer there) and I bought (brand new), the original Broadway cast recording of 1776 "Starring William Daniels, Paul Hecht, Clifford Davis, Roy Poole and Rex Everhart."  Even though Howard Da Silva actually did the show, I knew that he had had a heart attack and wasn't able to record the show.  Anyway, some time later, I was there again (nothing unusual about that) and there was another copy of 1776, but the jacket of this copy said "Also Starring Howard Da Silva"!  The back of the album cover listed "Howard Da Silva" as Ben Franklin both in the cast list AND the synopsis!  I didn't know if this was ANOTHER recording, but I bought it anyway.  It turned out, however, that the actual record label on the disc had Rex Everhart's name, even though the jacket said Howard's.  Regardless, I still have both those albums. :) And the CD with the correct cast information...and the London cast recording (think about that, the LONDON cast recording of 1776 ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 01:07:53 AM »

I love that musical!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 01:21:11 AM »

Lovely requiem for the Record Store.

I used to love Sam the Record Man on Yonge Street in Toronto. Started going there as a kid -- and each time I went was a little adventure. Sometimes after a concert at Massey Hall, a wonderful old concert hall in TO, very close to Sam's, I'd go and get an album by the artist I'd just seen. My favorite section was upstairs - all sorts of discoveries there. Even a Hungarian section.

I just looked it up to see if it's still there, and it is! You can read about the store at
http://www.samtherecordman.com/content.xml?cid=about_sams
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 01:26:47 AM by Maria »

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 01:31:40 AM »

Thanks for the link Maria.  I suspect I shall pay a visit in a few weeks time.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 01:36:48 AM »

Here's something interesting (or not ::)) that I just remembered:  The very first cast recording that I ever knew to be released on CD but NOT on LP at all (and can remember as such) was Once On This Island.  Just had to share. ;)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 01:38:57 AM by George »

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 01:37:00 AM »

I miss record stores too.  The first discoveries that come to mind are "Tone Poems of Color" - conducted by a Frank Sinatra" and "Golden Biscuits" by Three Dog Night.  3DN were not that well-known here - except for "Joy To the World".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 01:37:43 AM »

And on that note (F#), I'm off to bed.  Good night and good evening!

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 01:41:16 AM »

Good night and good evening indeed.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 03:30:52 AM »

Sophia loved to VATICINATE, but her every prophecy seemed to have a CAVEAT IN IT.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 03:50:38 AM »

Lovely requiem for the Record Store.

I used to love Sam the Record Man on Yonge Street in Toronto. Started going there as a kid -- and each time I went was a little adventure. Sometimes after a concert at Massey Hall, a wonderful old concert hall in TO, very close to Sam's, I'd go and get an album by the artist I'd just seen. My favorite section was upstairs - all sorts of discoveries there. Even a Hungarian section.

I just looked it up to see if it's still there, and it is! You can read about the store at
http://www.samtherecordman.com/content.xml?cid=about_sams

I remember Sam The Record Man. I loved their Boxing Day Sales (The Day Christmas) We would wait outside in line until the store open and I would go directly to cast album/soundtrack section (not that manypeople went there) Many of the records were imports because they did not have an equivilant company for distribution. At Sam the Record I discovered an import from the US of an album from Varese Sarabande called STAGES. The cover intrigued me and the pcitures and synopsis sold me. I was just starting to study theater and cinema so I thought I give it a try. This fellah named Bruce Kimmel I remembered from The Patridge Family and other shows. I thought he was good so I thought why not? It became one of my favorite cast albums.

Other recordings of shows I bought because of their covers included 110 in the Shade & The Robber Bridegroom.

I used to collect the rare and unsually cast albums from speciality stores. I must have spent several thousands over the years. I would buy them anywhere I would visit. NYC, Boston, Cambridge (Found the Japanese cast of Hair there) Those were the days.

When CDs came a long I saw my investment go out there door. Who would want to spend $50 or so on an LP when you get a CD (usually with superior sound) for $10 or so??

I miss those days. I miss Sam the Record Man. I will miss Towers. It makes feel old when these things disappear.

Just like EATONS, SIMPSON, OGLIVIES, in Canada. A sign of the times.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:50:59 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 03:56:26 AM »

Didn't Tom Lehrer sing the VATICINATE RAG?

First you get down on your knees
Fiddle with your rosaries
and then you genuflect genuflect
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 04:20:09 AM »

Cil, you're right, I did discuss Grey Gardens. I think it's brilliant. I love, love, love it. There are many people who feel as I do but I do have to say that the show opened to mixed reviews. Those of us who love it, do so with a passion. Many people didn't like it at all. It's not for everyone but I found it intelligent, funny, quirky (the second act) in all the good ways and with an amazing performance by Christine Ebersole. Her second act opeing number, The Revolutionary Costume for Today left me gasping. If she had done the show on Broadway last season she very well could have won the Tony. I'm so glad that most of the original cast will be in the new production including Matt Cavanaugh and Mary Louise Wilson.

I haven't yet been able to see the documentary. It's available at Anthony's Long Island library and we're out there for the Labor Day weekend. I'm going to try and get it this weekend and watch it. We're going out for the holiday but Ant's dear old friend (I mentioned her a few weeks ago) has had a bit of a relapse. She had fallen and gone into the hospital and Ant went out to make sure she was alright. Her recuperation was going along but she's always had low blood pressure (instead of high blood pressure) and yesterday we got a phone call from George, her husband. He took Elinor back to the hospital because she's dizzy and has other problems. I think some of it is related to the medication she's taking but I don't know any other specifics. Anyway I digress. Ant will go out early to check on Elinor and will probably stay out there for a few days after Labor Day so he can help out. ANYWAY, that long intro all leads into the fact that while he is at the hospital with Elinor, I will sit in the den and watch the documentary of Grey Gardens.

Donald's current radio show still seems to be 24 Degrees of Separation. If you haven't listened to it, the show opens and closes with numbers from Grey Gardens and you'll get to hear The Revolutionary Costume for Today!

Enough with this post. It's long enough to be a short story by BK.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 04:24:04 AM »

My first record experience wasn't a record store but the Minneapolis Public Library! That's where I discovered records. It's where I first found Celebration, that black album with orange writing. It's where I found All American and Do Re Mi. I knew the audio section of the library like the back of my hand. I would go at least once a week and take out all the records I could (I think the limit was 5 at a time). The budget for new purchases was pretty good and whoever worked in Acquisitons must have had a musical theatre gene because I got to hear lots of great shows. They also had a wonderful folk collection. It's where I first discovered the Chad Mitchell Trio, Pete Seeger and Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Thank you Minneapolis Public Library!

Ben

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 04:24:28 AM »

I'm here by myself and now I must leave. Work calls.

Later, gaters.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 05:29:46 AM »

Good morning, all!  Didn't Catholic schoolkids who didn't turn in their homework claim the "Vatican Ate" it?

And now for my second question: who is SGurey?  We keep having these Trivia winners I've never heard of.  Why don't they at least jump into the fray instead of lurking?  After all the constant BK barrage of bitchslapping threats, some of these lurkers could do more than take hom a damn prize!

Today, I have a jaunt to Toyland and a trip to the NYPL to help Jeremy Megraw with his photo inquiry.  I have to write this choral finale which haunted my sleep last night, so that's taking some time as well.  I may also run to the Post Office, but it all depends on  schedule.

TOD:  In the mid 1950s Rogers' Jewelers had a small record store in their shop, and I remember shopping trips there with my Aunt Dorothy.  The only record cover I remember looking at is the soundtrack recording of the 1954 animated film of HANSEL AND GRETEL conducted by the great Franz Allers.  Later, as malls became popular, Davidson's Photo Shop had a nice record dept., as did Norris Music on First Avenue.  Mrs Norris ordered for me the 1954 THREEPENNY OPERA cast recording with Lenya and Jo Sullivan, and I remember purchasing lots of cast albums at Davidson's along with the occasional Gilbert & Sullivan reissues on London's budget label Richmond.

In college, Hossack Jewelers had a record dept run by Mr Hossack's enormously fat and ultra-conservative wife Ruth.  Ruth would go to peace marches in Oxford, OH, and ban any participant from her shop.  She was an alcoholic and a bigot, but she had one of the finest record collections in the USA at the time:  two copies of everything in print except for artists she personally blacklisted: Judy Collins, the Mitchell Trio, the Weavers, etc.  I once asked her if she had any Mitchell Trio recordings on Kapp, and her response was "I don't carry them."  It wasn't until I knew her better, and worked for her in the summer of 1970, that I learned her reasons.  She hired me because she had gotten so huge that she preferred to spend her time in the apartment above the store, and she would spend at leat two or trhree hours a day talking to me over the phone.  One day when she was in the store stocking new releases, several black high school students came in (to see me, it turns out, since they had been in the summer theatre production of BYE BYE BIRDIE from a year before).  He comment when they came into the store was "keep an eye on them, they'll rob us blind."  After they visted with me a bit and left, she apologized for her comment, saying she hadn't realized they were friends of mine.  I'm sure in retrospect that was my first fall off my pedestal.

For classical, jazz, spoken word, and performance, Hossack's got calls from all over the country.  I would read record reviews at the Miami U Library magazine section -especially the bound volumes of past years - make lists of records I wanted, and Ruth usually had one or two stocked away.  It was a wonderful store, and she was quite a character with a quirky sense of humor.  I didn't approve of her politics or narrow mind, but I was strangely fond of her and I loved her store.  I was lucky the theatre dept kept me too busy for attending peace marches!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:38:49 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 06:36:19 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!

TOD - Cetnar's on Joy Road in Detroit, in the 1950's and 1960's.  I remember going there for recordings by The New Christy Minstrels and a new girl singer who had recently played Detroit's Caucus Club - Barbra Streisand.  Cetnar's was in the same block as Stromboli Pizza (affectionately known as Strom's).  Locally-owned pizza places seem to have gone the same way as record stores - sigh.  Both Cetnar's and Strom's had closed, along with most of the businesses on Joy Road, by the time I graduated from high school.  My parents moved to the 'burbs right before I went away to college.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 06:48:16 AM »

Lovely record store memories in the notes and in the posts!

DR DAKOTACELT - what show were they promoting that day....I can do a search that week on Newspaperarchive.com and maybe find it for you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 06:48:43 AM »

RE: My new avatar....DR RLP....perhaps I am actually feeling MORE like myself than usual!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 06:49:36 AM »

Well.....it was NOT the brakes.  It was a wheel bearing....so I drove the car from BIG O to Westgate Chrysler where it was fixed and is now waiting for me to pick it up.....no charge....covered under the warranty!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 06:55:07 AM »

I bought records EVERYWHERE.

I used to like to see the covers in those cardboard ads for COLUMBIA RECORD CLUB in the Tv Guide.  I would cut them out and use them as props in my sister's doll house.  Sometimes I would make collages of them on a piece of paper.

I bought my first record....an album for 88 cents at a grocery store....THE KIRBY STONE FOUR....

We had several chain record stores in the Indy area....Peaches, Merry Go Round, and a couple of others whose names I can't remember.  There is a CD store in Mooresville....used to be a record shop....where you can still buy theatre tickets....the name escapes me.

The first time I walked into a record store and saw bins FULL of CD's and one small bin of LP's WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY in the back - I knew the times they were a 'changin'.

My favorite record store was at about 52nd and Keystone in Indy....and it was called Rockin' Billy's.  Full of new AND used 45's and LP's.  I often went there on my lunch hour from the Indiana School for the Deaf.  I bought a LOT of soundtrack and cast album LP's there....including RED GARTERS and WHITE CHRISTMAS....POLLY BERGEN in THE HELEN MORGAN STORY, a set of 45 rpm EP's.....some Annette.....

Don't know if it's still there....but it was FUN!

Cillaliz

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 07:05:02 AM »

It's where I first found Celebration, that black album with orange writing.
Thank you Minneapolis Public Library!

I loved Celebration.  I played Potemkin in a college production.

Cillaliz

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 07:10:01 AM »

The first record I bought for myself was The Jackson Five Third Album, I had lots of kids records, but that was my first "real" record.

I loved records and bought them all the time, also wherever I could, the grocery store, the discount store, several record stores, but my favorite was Blue Sky Records. It was a little shop that had all sorts of wonderfully fun stuff.  I almost worked there one summer, but I got the job at the bank and took that instead.  

There is still a great used record store in Sioux City - Uncle John's Records.  I had another friend with a great record storem but they condemned the building he was in and now he just does that online

Cillaliz

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 07:13:05 AM »

Cil, you're right, I did discuss Grey Gardens. I think it's brilliant. I love, love, love it. There are many people who feel as I do but I do have to say that the show opened to mixed reviews. Those of us who love it, do so with a passion. Many people didn't like it at all. It's not for everyone but I found it intelligent, funny, quirky (the second act) in all the good ways and with an amazing performance by Christine Ebersole. Her second act opeing number, The Revolutionary Costume for Today left me gasping. If she had done the show on Broadway last season she very well could have won the Tony. I'm so glad that most of the original cast will be in the new production including Matt Cavanaugh and Mary Louise Wilson.

I haven't yet been able to see the documentary. It's available at Anthony's Long Island library and we're out there for the Labor Day weekend. I'm going to try and get it this weekend and watch it. We're going out for the holiday but Ant's dear old friend (I mentioned her a few weeks ago) has had a bit of a relapse. She had fallen and gone into the hospital and Ant went out to make sure she was alright. Her recuperation was going along but she's always had low blood pressure (instead of high blood pressure) and yesterday we got a phone call from George, her husband. He took Elinor back to the hospital because she's dizzy and has other problems. I think some of it is related to the medication she's taking but I don't know any other specifics. Anyway I digress. Ant will go out early to check on Elinor and will probably stay out there for a few days after Labor Day so he can help out. ANYWAY, that long intro all leads into the fact that while he is at the hospital with Elinor, I will sit in the den and watch the documentary of Grey Gardens.

Donald's current radio show still seems to be 24 Degrees of Separation. If you haven't listened to it, the show opens and closes with numbers from Grey Gardens and you'll get to hear The Revolutionary Costume for Today!

Enough with this post. It's long enough to be a short story by BK.

Thanks Ben,  I am fascinated by the story and plan to see if I can find the DVD around here.  It looks like there was a later release of the DVD with more footage, commentary etc.   I did get tickets for the Saturday Matinee.  Front row Mezzanine. They are off to the side, but not all the way over, so I figure they should be pretty good seats.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 07:17:59 AM »

DR PENNYO - yup those of use who spend a lot of time in front of people take it for granted that everyone can do it.

However the NUMBER ONE fear in the US (even more than death) is speaking in public.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 07:39:00 AM »

If you are going to wax nostalgic, remember you have to buff it as well.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 07:47:53 AM »

Thanks Ben, I did get tickets for the Saturday Matinee.  Front row Mezzanine. They are off to the side, but not all the way over, so I figure they should be pretty good seats.  

Front row mezz in the Walter Kerr off to the side should be fine. I've been up there and the seats are OK. The aisles, though, are VERY narrow. At the opening night of Waiting in the Wings (a less well known Noel Coward play which opened in 1999) with Lauren Bacall and Rosemary Harris the second act was delayed because an older gentleman fell on the way back to his seat in the mezzanine. Part of the reason it took so long was the EMS people had difficulty getting a stretcher down the aisle without falling themselves!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 08:02:30 AM »

Good morning!

I thought we were going to have heavy rain today, but the sky couldn't be bluer or the sun hotter. The effects of Ernesto are supposed to hit us later in the week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up