Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LABORS OF BK  (Read 30938 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE LABORS OF BK
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 08:25:55 AM »

Happy Birthday MATT H!! Hope you have a great day

FJL

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 08:26:03 AM »

And one for MattH!

FJL

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 08:26:27 AM »

Missed that one by that much!

Cillaliz

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 08:26:33 AM »

And a happy page 2....

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 08:27:30 AM »

It's been raining all morning, but the sun just came out. I think it's supposed to rain off and on all day.   My maple trees are starting to turn red.  I think they will be beautiful before too long

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »

I'm actually in the mood for a rainy day.  I want to finish Mockingbird.  Just got through TKAM becoming a best seller and Nelle (Harper) hiding out in Alabama to get away from the press etc.

I also want to cook.   I bought some turkey thighs I'm going to roast.  Then I'm thinking of making some dressing with apples and onions in it.  I picked up that one from Rachael Ray and really love it. I also got some fresh brussel sprouts and can have fresh peaches on vanilla ice cream for dessert. mmmm

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 08:33:36 AM »

Oh and I've lost 10+ a little pounds in the last month.  I have a way to go, but I'm really feeling the difference.  Imagine what I could do with exercise!  I'm thinking about joining Curves again. It's only a few blocks from here.

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 08:35:04 AM »

Oh my, I appear to be on a morning frenzy!  

The cats were very good last night.  I only had to threaten sending Boo to her room and they stopped fighting.  It was a most pleasant evening, except I kept waiting for another bat...none arrived...but I think that led to my really strange dreams

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2006, 08:35:12 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I'm in the mood to cook, too.  Earlier this week, when BK's topic sent me down my Michigan memory lane I found a recipe for Maurice salad, which was a Detroit specialty.  Think I'll make that and a key lime pie.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 08:35:35 AM »

Have you ever dreamed you couldn't sleep only to discover you were asleep and it was a dream?

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2006, 08:36:26 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I'm in the mood to cook, too.  Earlier this week, when BK's topic sent me down my Michigan memory lane I found a recipe for Maurice salad, which was a Detroit specialty.  Think I'll make that and a key lime pie.

What's in Maurice salad?

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2006, 08:43:51 AM »

What's in Maurice salad?

Click here for the recipe

Actually, I think I'll tweak it a little and make it more like a chef salad with the dressing on top.  I'm not crazy about the idea of mixing the ham, turkey, and cheese into the dressing.  This was the signature dish at the dining rooms in the J. L. Hudson stores.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:47:07 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2006, 08:49:03 AM »

What's in Maurice salad?

Here's another (note: no mustard or olives; chicken in place of turkey)

J. L. HUDSON MAURICE DRESSING AND SALAD
Printed from COOKS.COM

MAURICE DRESSING:

1 pt. mayonnaise
3 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
1 tbsp. finely chopped onion
2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped

Mix real well, if too thick add a little milk. Yields about 4 servings.

MAURICE SALAD:

Shred one medium lettuce.
Shred one half pound ham.

Shred one half pound Swiss cheese.

Shred one half pound chicken breast (about 1).

Shred 8 or 10 sweet gherkins.

Toss all together lightly. Make sure it is well mixed.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2006, 08:49:53 AM »

Click here for the recipe

Actually, I think I'll tweak it a little and make it more like a chef salad with the dressing on top.  I'm not crazy about the idea of mixing the ham, turkey, and cheese into the dressing.  This was the signature dish at the dining rooms in the J. L. Hudson stores.

Thanks, looks good, but I'm with you, I wouldn't want to mix the meat and cheese with the dressing either.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2006, 08:50:01 AM »

Dontcha love the direction to garnish the plate with 2 olives.  Not 1, not 3, 2!  I think I'll be wild and crazy and use 3 or 4 per plate!  DH Richard really likes olives.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:51:01 AM by Ginny »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2006, 08:51:16 AM »

MATT H- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
[/size]

HAVE A GRAND DAY FILLED WITH CAKE AND MOVIES![/size]

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2006, 08:54:15 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] [/move]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2006, 08:56:13 AM »

François-My vote for best  Swiss name is BANKACCOUNT.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2006, 08:57:35 AM »

Dakota, I didn’t read LIKE WATER LIKE CHOCOLATE.  I hope the book was far superior to the movie.  

We should get our puppy on September 23rd, which one it will be of the five in the litter we still don't know.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2006, 08:59:58 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR JOY![/size]

BIRTHDAY CHEER TO SIGERSON HOLMES!

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2006, 09:02:21 AM »

DR Ginny,
Yes, I'm a great fan of Kay Thompson's. I loved her flamboyance. Never had the opportunity to meet her, though. How exciting for you! The latest book, Eloise Takes a Bawth, was so much fun. It's too bad Kay and Hilary Knight had that falling out. Still not clear as to what happened, but it's the reader's loss, that's for sure.

After her death, I read that she had been living with Liza Minnelli (she's Liza's godmother). I hope Liza will get around to writing her memoirs so we can find out more about Kay. I saw a wonderful photo in Vanity Fair of Kay in her nightlub act with the [Andy] Williams Brothers.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2006, 09:06:02 AM »

Now for Matt's BIRTHDAY SERMON

[size=1]***HOW TO STAY YOUNG***

1. Throw out nonessential numbers.
This includes age, weight, and height.
Let the doctors worry about them. That is why you pay them.

2. Keep only cheerful friends.
The grouches pull you down.
(Keep this in mind if you are one of those grouches!)

3. Keep learning:
Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever.
Never let the brain get idle.
"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

4. Enjoy the simple things

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.
And if you have a friend who makes you laugh, spend lots and lots of time with him or her!

6. The tears happen:
Endure, grieve, and move on.
The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourself.
LIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love:
Whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever.
Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health:
If it is good, preserve it.
If it is unstable, improve it.
If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9. Don't take guilt trips.
Take a trip to the mall, even to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at ev ery opportunity.
[/size]

der Brucer (with - Woody & Fletcher)

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2006, 09:24:35 AM »

...Announcing an HHW get-together in NYC on Saturday evening, Sept. 30th around 8 p.m....

DR FJL - sounds great, but DH Richard and I don't arrive in NYC until midday Monday.  Have lots of fun with BK!

Are we still planning a Drowsy Chaperone "do" on October 5?

FJL

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2006, 09:39:42 AM »

Ginny - I'm hoping  that still fits the schedules of the people going to DROWSY CHAPERONE on Thursday, Oct. 5th to grab a snack afterwards.  

The show is fairly short, over by 9:50 at the latest (no intermission), so it wouldn't be that terribly late a night.

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2006, 09:44:07 AM »

Ginny - I'm hoping  that still fits the schedules of the people going to DROWSY CHAPERONE on Thursday, Oct. 5th to grab a snack afterwards.  

The show is fairly short, over by 9:50 at the latest (no intermission), so it wouldn't be that terribly late a night.

Sounds good, DR FJL.  Friday and Saturday are my "work days" during that week - my conference at DR Ben's workplace.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2006, 09:46:44 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Very pretty out, but I'm sure it's gonna be another scorcher.  I thought we were through with the scorchers, but apparently not.

Don't forget our other birthday people.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2006, 09:52:50 AM »

The latest book, Eloise Takes a Bawth, was so much fun. It's too bad Kay and Hilary Knight had that falling out. Still not clear as to what happened, but it's the reader's loss, that's for sure.

The article in   VANITY FAIR offers some insights:

A few weeks before Eloise was published, Hilary Knight received a call from Thompson's secretary asking for a meeting. Knight was handed a one-page agreement to sign. Thompson had written an unusual addendum to her publishing contract. She would own the copyright to Knight's drawings, and any future Eloise books would be locked in at the same royalty split as the first-70 percent for Thompson and 30 percent for Knight. "I totally trusted her," Knight said. "I signed it without really looking at it. I totally signed my rights away." During the years of their collaboration, Knight would occasionally raise the subject with Thompson. Finally she agreed to discuss the onerous contract with Morris Ernst, a distinguished literary lawyer. "Ernst got nowhere with her. He was overwhelmed by her," Knight said. Nevertheless, Knight and Thompson soldiered on.

In the summer of 1966, Hilary Knight returned to Rome to work with Kay Thompson on their fifth Eloise collaboration. Knight had drawn hundreds of sketches for a new idea-Eloise lolling in an overflowing bathtub and deluging movie stars in fox coats and the Plaza hotel's long-suffering manager, Mr. Salomone. Knight recalled the atmosphere between them as odd and frenetic. Thompson hung his drawings all over the studio and snapped, "Think of this as a movie." They worked all day long and into the night. Thompson would compliment Knight's sketches-"That's great, Hil" but the next morning, he recalled, "that drawing that was so glorious would have a big clot of rubber cement on it, and there would be a piece of paper over the drawing." She refused to accept any of his suggestions. In the end, the idea was too thin to sustain. Even the working title seemed false and affected: Eloise Takes a Bawth.

Thompson's alliance with Hilary Knight resembled most closely the partnership of Lewis Carroll and John Tenniel. As with Tenniel's drawings for Alice in Wonderland, the charm of Eloise was greatly enhanced by Knight's vision, but Thompson insisted on complete control. At times, the writer and the artist were so exasperated with each other that their editor had to write to Knight urging him to stay calm. They would become strained, imagining slights and betrayals where once there had been a productive, even joyous exchange of ideas.

Last year Eloise turned 40, but Thompson continues to freeze out Hilary Knight. "She is totally turned off by me. And I honestly can't tell you why," he says. Thompson is consumed by rage and tells friends that Knight continues to draw Eloise. "All he is entitled to is a share of the royalties," she told Rex Reed. "Eloise has another life, and I am planning it right now."

der Brucer

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2006, 10:15:59 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MATTH!!

And Happy Birthday also  to Joy and S Holmes!

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2006, 10:19:53 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Joy!!!
Happy Birthday to Sigerson Holmes!!!

Have a great day~!

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2006, 10:20:31 AM »

That will work for jhvw and me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up