Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LABORS OF BK  (Read 31192 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:THE LABORS OF BK
« Reply #300 on: September 03, 2006, 10:35:02 PM »

He lost a little respect when he paraded an infant in front of a croc.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #301 on: September 03, 2006, 10:35:45 PM »

Secondly, you bet, Tom! All we can spare.

François de Paris

« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »

He lost a little respect when he paraded an infant in front of a croc.

Well, now he lost his life! Oh my!

Stephen Robert "Steve" Irwin (22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006) was the owner and manager of the Australia Zoo at Beerwah, Queensland, Australia. He was best known as The Crocodile Hunter, which was the name of the unconventional nature documentary series on television he hosted, assisted by his American-born wife, Terri Irwin. His larger-than-life persona and seemingly outrageous antics (including the close handling of both common and rare species of wildlife and, perhaps most famously, the capture of live crocodiles and other reptiles on-screen) were key features in the presentation, which provided a forum for educational information about wildlife conservation and conflicts with humans in various parts of the world. The program had made the Irwins television personalities on several continents.

On September 4, 2006 shortly after 11:00 AM local time, Irwin was killed in a marine accident while filming an underwater documentary in the Batt Reef off the Low Isles near Port Douglas, north of Cairns, Queensland, Australia. A stingray barb penetrated his chest causing a fatal wound, per the Cairns police.[1]

Tomovoz

« Reply #303 on: September 03, 2006, 10:42:45 PM »

Thanks Rodzinski.  I'm still hoping Mr Piano will be in New York that weekend.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #304 on: September 03, 2006, 10:44:34 PM »

I should have been more fired up for post 303 or at least made the content of a higher calibre.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #305 on: September 03, 2006, 10:48:06 PM »

One more day of Cinecon to go....it seems like one day too long. I  may go see a movie tomarrow (my first and only one). It is "Beyond The Rocks" starring my high school mascot Rudy Valentino and Gloria Swanson (1922).

While I sit here listening to Marylin Monroe singing Heat Wave, let me post the NEXT LACC PICTURE!!!!

Not really of the theater but of the stage doors, which I found simply thrilling!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

François de Paris

« Reply #306 on: September 03, 2006, 10:48:07 PM »

Born in Essendon, a suburb of Melbourne, Steve Irwin moved with his parents as a child to Queensland. His parents, Bob and Lyn, ran the small Queensland Reptile and Fauna Park, where Steve grew up around crocodiles and other reptiles. He became a crocodile trapper, removing crocodiles from near populated areas, performing the service for free with the quid pro quo that he kept them for the park. As a child, he had a negative encounter with a macaw, which throughout his life left him with a fear of parrots.

In 1991, he took over the running of the park, now renamed the "Australia Zoo", and in 1992 met (at the park) and married Terri. The footage, shot by John Stainton, of their crocodile-trapping honeymoon became the first episode of The Crocodile Hunter, which became wildly successful in America.

In 2001, Steve appeared in a cameo role in the Eddie Murphy film Dr. Dolittle 2. In 2002, his first feature film, The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course, was released. In general, reviews of this film were negative. However, in 2003, Irwin was reportedly in line to host a chat show on Australian network television.

The Irwins have two children: a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin (born 24 July 1998), and a son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin (born 1 December 2003). Their dog, Sui, from which their daughter's middle name was derived, died in June 2004.

Under Steve's expansive leadership, the operations have grown to include the zoo, the television series, The Steve Irwin Conservation Foundation, and International Crocodile Rescue. Improvements to his Australia Zoo include the Animal Planet Crocoseum, the rainforest aviary, and Tiger Temple.

Major controversy arose during a public show on 2 January 2004, when Irwin carried his infant son, Bob, in one arm while feeding a chicken carcass to a crocodile with the other hand. The infant was close to the crocodile, and comparisons were made in the press with Michael Jackson's dangling of his son outside a German apartment window. In addition, child welfare groups, animal rights groups, and many of Irwin's television viewers criticised his actions as being irresponsible and tantamount to child abuse. Irwin claimed that any danger to his son was only a perceived danger and that he was in complete control of the situation, and has consistently refused to apologize for his actions despite considerable public outcry both in Australia and abroad. His defenders pointed to his several decades of hands-on experience and direct interaction with crocodiles. Terri Irwin claimed that their child was in no more real danger than a child being taught to swim would be. No charges were filed (although the police did visit Irwin at his home and advised him not to repeat the incident).

Irwin went on to star in other Animal Planet documentaries, including The Croc Files, The Crocodile Hunter Diaries, and New Breed Vets.

In June 2004, Irwin again was the subject of controversy when allegations were made that he came too close to and disturbed some wildlife (namely whales, seals and penguins) while filming a documentary in Antarctica. Interacting with Antarctic wildlife in a disapproved manner may be a breach of Australian federal and international laws. Subsequently, the matter was closed without charges being filed.

Animal Planet then released a Crocodile Hunter special called "Crocodiles & Controversy", which attempted to explain both the "Baby Bob Incident" and the Antarctica incident. This special argues that Irwin's son was never in danger of being eaten by the crocodile and that Irwin could not have endangered animals in Antarctica.

Animal Planet ended the The Crocodile Hunter with a series finale entitled "Steve's Last Adventure". The last Crocodile Hunter documentary went for three emotional hours with footage of Steve's across-the-world adventure, visiting locations like the Himalayas, the Yangtze River, Borneo, and the Kruger National Park.
Steve feeding a crocodile at Australia Zoo.
Enlarge
Steve feeding a crocodile at Australia Zoo.

In January 2006 as part of Australia Week celebrations in the USA, Steve appeared at the Pauley Pavilion, UCLA Los Angeles, California. During an interview on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Steve announced that Discovery Kids will be developing a show for his daughter, Bindi Sue.[2] The show, Jungle Girl, was tipped to be similar to The Wiggles movies, with songs that surround a story. A feature-length episode of Australian kids TV show The Wiggles entitled "Wiggly Safari" appears dedicated to Steve, and he features in it heavily with his wife and daughter. The show includes the song "Crocodile Hunter, Big Steve Irwin".

On Saturday June 24, 2006, one of the oldest turtles living in Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo, died of heart failure. The turtle, Harriet, was 176 years old and was considered part of Irwin's family. Harriet was thought to have belonged to Charles Darwin.

Steve Irwin was active in politics and was a supporter of the conservative Liberal Party of Australia. In particular, he strongly supported the incumbent Prime Minister John Howard.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #307 on: September 03, 2006, 10:52:36 PM »

Breaking news here in OZ.  Steve Crocodile Irwin died after being stung by a  Stingray off the coast of Queensland.  I know there are some fans in the U S of A. (More than here).

What a loss... He was a personality and I enjoyed watching him.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #308 on: September 03, 2006, 11:23:17 PM »

What toppings do they put on a Demo burger?

It's basically a burger on a bun with grilled onions...but I don't like grilled onions (I prefer raw), so I didn't have any onions.  My sister did.  But then you can also have it with cheese or not and one or two patties.  And new this year is a Demo Garden Burger.  All are very good.

Let me see if this works:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #309 on: September 03, 2006, 11:24:32 PM »

cute emoticon George...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #310 on: September 03, 2006, 11:25:05 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #311 on: September 03, 2006, 11:25:49 PM »

cute emoticon George...

Thanks...I modified HHW's :P smilie.

George

« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2006, 11:26:37 PM »

So now you can go:

:P :P :P :P :P

George

« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2006, 11:26:51 PM »

;D

George

« Reply #314 on: September 03, 2006, 11:27:27 PM »

Or:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :P :P :P :P :P [/move]

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #315 on: September 03, 2006, 11:27:39 PM »

it is cute....

Nice pics from the event...

Shane on you George for missing your photocall!!

George

« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2006, 11:28:39 PM »

PLaced an order  earlier today for my copy of Double Indemnity and the smart aleck behind the counter said only old hags get that...

I asked him what he liked. He thought Caveman was a high quality movie that was a classic...

Well cant account for taste but I did tell his manager and she was not amused... She fired him on the spot. She is younger than I and she loves the film noir movies. She promptly put a rush on the movie for me and I recieved a discount for his rude action.

Good for you!  Serves him right!

George

« Reply #317 on: September 03, 2006, 11:29:46 PM »

Watching a bit of Telethon. Jack Jones is always a treat. Dude still has it.

I always loved the theme from "Love Boat." ;D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #318 on: September 03, 2006, 11:33:43 PM »

That was a fun show... I have not seen reruns of it in YEARS!!

George

« Reply #319 on: September 03, 2006, 11:36:22 PM »

Breaking news here in OZ.  Steve Crocodile Irwin died after being stung by a  Stingray off the coast of Queensland.  I know there are some fans in the U S of A. (More than here).

:o I never watched his show, but I know a couple of people at work who loved it!

George

« Reply #320 on: September 03, 2006, 11:37:07 PM »

That was a fun show... I have not seen reruns of it in YEARS!!

I haven't either.  I was reminded of it a few days ago when there were clips of the memorial to Aaron Spelling, who produced it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #321 on: September 03, 2006, 11:38:40 PM »

I always loved the theme from "Love Boat." ;D

I suppose you also hated the theme from "Hate Boat."

George

« Reply #322 on: September 03, 2006, 11:46:57 PM »

I suppose you also hated the theme from "Hate Boat."

But of course!  Doesn't everyone?? ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #323 on: September 03, 2006, 11:51:58 PM »

Well, I must say, we've welcomed in September in spectacular style, have we not?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up