Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT, RAIN, OR SNOT  (Read 24691 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HEAT, RAIN, OR SNOT
« on: September 04, 2006, 12:34:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes contained pertinent information, which you now are in possession of, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they were in possession of Alice B. Toklas brownies and they're currently in jail.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 12:26:12 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HEAT, RAIN, OR SNOT
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 12:38:14 AM »

And the word of the day is:  QUODLIBET!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 05:09:14 AM »

The quodlibet is a rodent the size of a small kangaroo.  It is an endangered species living only on a fe small islands off the coast of western Australia.
I could be wrong.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:49 AM »

DP recommended recently that we watch a favourite film from his youth - "The Young Lions".  It was so bad bad bad.

My revisiting "The Tenant" was a disappoinment also.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 06:33:41 AM »

Labor Day Labor Day Labor Day....where are all the robots that were supposed to do the work for us in the 21st Century?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 06:34:47 AM »

Frightening and sad news about Mr Steve Irwin....nature is dangerous.

That reminds me of my favorite phrase from yesterday's posts:

Turkey Thighs.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 06:38:28 AM »

ARABESQUE....I think I was MOST disappointed because I expected CHARADE....

Rehearsal was okay last night....we have a great script/story....some so-so performers and a bit of chaos....and three rehearsals.  Missing people last night, so when we did the final set change, one of the lawyers' tables was left out in the Finch's front yard.....

I am a bit put-off that Atticus doesn't seem capable of learning his responses to me in my last scene....the one in which I describe the killing of Bob Euell and what I plan to do about it....  And of course afterwards he says, "Boy WE need to work on that scene...."  Yes WE do!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 06:40:55 AM »

We didn't see the Natalie Wood stamped rear yesterday, perhaps today.

TOD:

ICE STATION ZEBRA....loved it in Cinerama....pretty much a snooze fest now, even though I bought the DVD.

DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS - scared me when I was little, another talk talk talk movie....

THE GRADUATE - thought it WAS great, now not so much.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 06:42:52 AM »

For your labor day.....many to choose from....but the first is one of my favorites!   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnteTQ_iWY

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 07:54:55 AM »

Good morning!

It was overcast but very muggy when I got up, but the clouds are opening up a bit, and that hot, hot sun is shining down. It's going to be a pretty miserable day temperature and humidity wise. Glad for those who have a holiday and want to spend it outside, but I'll be inside for the entire day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »

Thank you, DR Rodzinski, for the birthday wishes which I didn't read until this morning. I appreciate the thought.

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 07:58:14 AM »

I loved BYE BYE BIRDIE as a teenager, but having seen the stage version a lot, I find the movie pretty silly and not especially well done (love the music still).

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 07:59:23 AM »

I agree about ARABESQUE, a very disappointing (for me) film which I wanted to be another CHARADE. Now, CHARADE is a movie that holds up beautifully.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 08:07:56 AM »

Looking forward this afternoon to revisiting some CLOSER episodes from the first of this season followed by the season finale tonight.

I have no film picked out to watch today, so it may just be THE CLOSER all the time!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 08:14:33 AM »

WOD:  I actually talk about "Quodlibets" when I perform with one of the choirs I direct and we do an Irving Berlin medley.  Berlin loved quodlibets (don't tell Mrs. Berlin).  ;)

Happy Belated Birthday to MattH, my personal HD guru.  :)

There's always someone more tetched than you are department:  I shared this with JR the other day, but for those of you who think you spend too much time/money on eBay, here's a little lesson in prodigality for you:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=ozzie90071&sort=3&rows=200&page=8&ViewBidItems=&all=1&completed=1

Some stuff has dropped off (and new stuff is added now), but by my calculations, this guy has dropped close to $100K in the last 30 days.  Oy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 08:24:10 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 08:24:48 AM »

Bet his wife doesn't know, either.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 08:27:10 AM »

Thank you, DR JMK, for the belated wishes. I'm going to make a pan of brownies and frost them today for my birthday treat.

BTW, how's that high def treating you these days? Any problems?

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 08:29:51 AM »

In fact, I'm heading off now to fix those very brownies.

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »

HD is great--I wish DirecTV had more HD options, like Dish Network.  I had a series of defective tuners, plus I found out that the Sharp Aquos interfaces with the DirecTV tuner in a kind of strange way, but the upshot is I ended up getting 4 free months of the HD package (such as it is), 6 months of a $5 credit, plus 3 months of Starz and 4 months of Showtime, so I can't complain.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 08:31:36 AM »

BTW, WEHT the Dionne Quodlibets?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 08:50:33 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've had a severe mental lapse this morning.  I've  been thinking for the last several hours that I've already been to HHW this morning, and I haven't!  Ohmigod, dementia is setting in.

I'm having a quiet morning of encroaching senility and enjoying myself immensely.  I need to go out and do some shopping, and beyond that I have absolutely no plans today.  

What happened to Steve Irwin?

TOD:
  The Disney BABES IN TOYLAND, which I loved at age 14 and now consider a disastrous melange operetta, musical, screenplay, and  cast.

I'm hoping that PRETTY POISON, which I just ordered, holds up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 08:54:58 AM »

Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray yesterday!  I was really shocked to read about it this morning.  His wife is from Eugene.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 08:58:47 AM »

Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray yesterday!  I was really shocked to read about it this morning.  His wife is from Eugene.

I just finished last night's posts.  Now I am aware of what happened to Mr Irwin.  I'm so sorry to hear about that.

I found DakotaCelt's "Double Indemnity" encounter interesting:  a heterosexual friend of mine in my hometown rented BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN in a Middletown, Ohio, video place, and the clerks all snickered over it.  I think he should have demanded the immature assholes be sacked as well.  At Barnes & Noble, I always snickered after the customer walked away.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 08:59:48 AM »

The Lovely Wife and I, when we were dating in college, went to see WHERE'S POPPA, Carl Reiner's first film as director.  At the time, we thought it just hilarious...so hilarious, in fact, we kidnapped my parents and took them to see it the following night (and by this time, they rarely...if ever...went to movies).  

We saw it a few years back on TV and it was just spectacularly unfunny.  We couldn't see any trace of what we had found so funny long ago.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 09:10:20 AM »

As a kid, I absolutely LOVED the Jerry Lewis movies - thought they were the most hilarious films, laughed and laughed. Not enough caffeine yet for actually coming up with titles... oh, The Bellboy is one.... Anyway, I was totally in love with Jerry Lewis. As an adult, watching them I don't find them quite so funny - some seem incredibly lame and un-funny; however, I see spectacularly wonderful physical stuff I never appreciated when I was a wee bairn. The choreography of some of the bits is astonishing.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »

So, yesterday was the final Wood Cutting day of the three day fest. The three neighbors' families/friends were all up here in the forest for the weekend. We finally got to the pile of thirty or so trees that have been lying on my driveway since I moved in 6 years ago. The neighbors up above say it was at least ten years more. Chainsaws first, to cut them into rounds. Some hand-splitting, but most were split on the gigantic power splitter. Next-door neighbor's wife almost lost a finger - the shreik was earsplitting. Probably only broke it and will surely lose the nail.

I stacked wood in my shed - to the rafters. Then we filled truck beds and carts and drove them to neighbors' sheds. I could hardly walk, let alone stand up by evening. Everyone - like, fourteen people - working non-stop from 10 ayem to dark. But we got it done!!! Guy with the splitter has been threatening to do this for 5 years. I'm glad to have those logs GONE! There is now a dandy place for a little garage for my car!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 09:20:03 AM »

And this is the final week of my annual summer sojourn. I leave next Sunday morning - I will hate leaving. What a lovely place. But I'll be back every 6 or 8 weeks through the winter... I have become like the migratory birds - head south at the first scent of autumn and return when the primroses blossom. Such a bittersweet season, autumn is...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »

Oh, it's after 9... gotta get back out there to shovel bark into the wheelbarrow a few hundred times, and roll it over to the compost pile (now more of a compost mountain...). Cut back the daylilies and iris, too - or face a slimy mess next May. Like the squirrels and chipmunks - just SO busy these last few days of the season.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 09:24:08 AM »

Have a good one, gang!
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 09:27:30 AM »

And the word of the day is:  QUODLIBET!
The four emancipated singing nuns (Sisters Margaretta, Berthe, Sophia, and Mary Amnesia) were best known for their specialty QUODLIBET, "Agnes Sing the Agnus Dei", which started as a Gregorian Chant, the BOLD QUIET of the opening suddenly broken by a middle section where they QUOTED LIB doctrine, and finished by a du-wop repeat of the first section, this time in four-part harmony and Pig Latin.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up