Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIP  (Read 34143 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE TRIP
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2006, 07:38:31 AM »

Favorite Martin & Lewis: PARDNERS

Favorite Dean Martin: SOME CAME RUNNING

Favorite Jerry Lewis: don't really have one but if I had to pick, it'd be THE DELICATE DELINQUENT.

I like SCARED STIFF, too, DR Elmore. Haven't seen it in many years. Also liked THE CADDY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Two Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2006, 07:40:58 AM »

I was switching out DVD players in the front bedroom this morning, and once I got the new one situated, I popped in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE to make sure everything was hooked up OK.

Of course, you can't start FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and not get drawn into it, so I watched about half an hour and am looking forward to finishing it later this morning. Even the old transfer looks marvelous.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2006, 07:42:15 AM »

I love the Edison, too. We usually stay there as well when we're in NYC. I've only eaten there a couple of times, though with the closing of Sam's and Barrymore's, I suspect I'll eat there more often on future trips.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2006, 07:45:19 AM »

Another favorite Dean Martin movie is BELLS ARE RINGING (well, it's really a Judy Holliday movie). Dean is perfectly cast in the film, but as I've mentioned in the past, he looks like he's barely trying during "I Met a Girl." He doesn't know the lyrics to the song and in some points doesn't even bother opening his mouth as the playback is going with his voice ringing out.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 07:47:57 AM »

I agree, he is spot on about the spinach fiasco... Click here to access!

Good Grief - Chicken Little returns!

This is almiost as alarmist as the DDT crock promulgated by Carson's. "The Silent Spring".

Alton says:

Our own unnatural desires and our refusal to consume locally grown foods have brought us to this sorry state.  

It is not "unnatural" to desire year-round accessability to fresh greens at the local market.

I'd love to buy locally grown fresh spinach - it just isn't harvested in Delaware in September!

Eating bagged spinach is still saver than playing 18 holes of golf (lightening strikes, you know).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2006, 07:51:06 AM »

I love the Edison, too.

Did you spend time there while trying out for the resient company of "Oh Calcutta!"

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2006, 07:59:22 AM »

Quote for the day:

From THE LAST TABOO

A farmer who sells animal sex said he is extremely surprised that foreigners are ready to travel so far for it.

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »

I may have to try the Edison next time I go to New York. They are sold out for the time we'll be in New York.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 08:11:09 AM »

Off to finish FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE now.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2006, 08:18:55 AM »

I may have to try the Edison next time I go to New York. They are sold out for the time we'll be in New York.

LOL, DR Cillaliz!  I looked into the Edison this morning, too!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2006, 08:22:51 AM »

TOD:

Together: Sailor Beware (1952)

Dino alone: The Silencers (1966) (First Matt Helm flick)

Jerry alone: Don't Give Up the Ship (1959)

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2006, 08:36:09 AM »

My morning in telephone reference has been most interesting and has required some degree of cultural literacy.  Earlier, our crossword puzzle lady (she calls for help every day) needed to know the composer of The Consul.  Just now, a mom called to find out who wrote the song, "Little Boxes," which is being used as the theme song from some new TV show and her kids think it's a new song.  Actually, it was written in 1962 by Malvina Reynolds.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2006, 08:43:15 AM »

Look what I found at Playbill On-Line

The Brain From Planet X

Ben

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2006, 08:43:37 AM »

I shall now retire to acquire some lunch.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2006, 08:55:58 AM »

It has been ages since I have seen a Martin and Lewis movie...but I can say that my favorite Jerry Lewis movie is THE GEISHA BOY, without a doubt.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »

Hiya!

I spent a very informative, live-changing two-and-a-half hours at CSU LA yesterday. Bought the $75 parking permit...

Okay, so it seems I'm too late to apply for the Fall 06 quarter, but the head old dude (George) at the Student Services center can get me in. He went over my trnascripts and said I have WAY more than I need of Music courses, and my Italian and Russian language classes and the LACC Intro to Theater satisfy the Humanities requirement... BUT!! I have NO General Ed courses AT ALL. I'll probably need six or seven quarters of classes to get the BA in Music.

I went to meet the chair of the Music Dept, thence to the registrar's office, where I applied for the WINTER 07 quarter (George will transfer that to the Fall quarter on Tuesday) - and i start classes day after tomorrow! Gotta take 2 Communications classes, test OUT of English and have English Comp waived (George will set up a meeting with the chair of the English dept, and I can turn in my novel, for consideration...); Gotta take Biology and History and Poly Sci and Anthro and and and... but I'm SO looking forward to it! and I'm a "resident" so 18 credits costs under $1100 a quarter. (way cheaper, apparently, if I were over 60... shhhhhh! nobody's 'sposta know that...)

<SNAP!> just like that! my life changes...

PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2006, 09:06:01 AM »

So, I'll just head over to the website now and peruse the the class schedule and figure out who I'll be next week! Laters, gators!
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2006, 09:14:41 AM »

DR PENNYO is a coed!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2006, 09:16:48 AM »

TOD:

Martin & Lewis together - SCARED STIFF, ARTISTS & MODELS

Lewis alone - THE NUTTY PROFESSOR, THE LADIES MAN

Martin alone - THE YOUNG LIONS, BELLS ARE RINGING

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2006, 09:20:52 AM »

A little traveling music for MR BK.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2006, 09:24:24 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and she of the Evil Eye is here so I'll have to vamoose or, at the very least, vamelephant out of here shortly.

We looked at the Edison once as a recording possibility, but my engineer and I hated the room - not at all what we like.  

The hotel situation in NY is outrageous right now, and I'm not sure why.  When looking for a hotel this week everything was over twice what I'm normally used to paying - the Mayfair was the only reasonable hotel and I don't know that I'd call certain nights of the stay reasonable.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2006, 09:25:39 AM »

DR EDISAURUS....not sure if you are familiar with this site

http://www.subcin.com/clowncried.html

It might be as close as you will get for awhile.  :P
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 09:26:15 AM by JRand56 »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2006, 09:26:56 AM »

PennyO, congratulations on embarking on a new chapter of your life! Judging from your previous posts you seem to have lots of courage and spirit and confidence! That's wonderful. Not everyone I meet has that sort of enthusiam in the second half of their lives. I returned to college (UCLA) many years ago after a 10-year absence and was astounded at the changes I saw. I hope your return to college is challenging, stimulating, and most exciting! Here's to mid-life transitions!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »

Another favorite cheap place to stay in NY but not as convenient: The Leo House, in Chelsea. It's a Catholic guest house, but anyone can stay there. The only drawback is that my husband and I slept in twin beds with a big crucifix on the wall between us, but it's charming and friendly nuns cook a big, yummy and cheap breakfast in the AM. There's a lovely courtyard garden, too. It's an old place; still has those telephone closets. It's usually booked up pretty far in advance, but, like the Edison, a good one to put on your radar!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2006, 09:31:56 AM »

DR JRand56, I love your avatar. Is it the Iron Giant?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2006, 09:33:06 AM »

Ben, you look so official with your new avatar.  i felt like my rabbi was calling me out for being on the internet when I should be atoning.  :)

Edisaurus

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2006, 09:34:42 AM »

DR EDISAURUS....not sure if you are familiar with this site
http://www.subcin.com/clowncried.html
It might be as close as you will get for awhile.  :P

Awesome! No, I hadn't seen that site-- Thanks! I look forward to perusing it. Seems like these hard to find films end up surfacing somewhere or another---you've inspired me to start looking!

FJL

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2006, 09:35:45 AM »

My schedule got all fershimmelt (a Jewish reference) today, but there was no way i could join the HHW group.   :(   i did see DR WFOrr for a second or two to hand off something I had to give Tom and Colin, and that was nice of him to come out of his way (in the rain, yet) to take it to them for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2006, 09:40:06 AM »

We looked at the Edison once as a recording possibility, but my engineer and I hated the room - not at all what we like.  

It looked unrealistically tiny, so I was surprised that they would record a big cast album there. it looked very cramped on the video, even with a wide angle lens!

I guess I am intrigued that it is there but you would never know it, unless you...well, knew it.

Last time I asked about it the doorman told me that it was owned by Lenny Kravitz and that he would often see Lenny and Nicole Kidman (back when they were together) coming in the back door and climbing the stairs to the studio.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up