Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SECOND DAY  (Read 21565 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE SECOND DAY
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2006, 10:14:04 AM »

Sickie-poo.  That's us.
Not very descriptive.

Head?  Throat?  Tummy?  Further down and requiring an anti-diahreal?

Enquiring minds, that sort of thing.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2006, 10:14:59 AM »

And THAT brings us to the page three dance?  Sheesh!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2006, 10:16:42 AM »

Trick is to do everything ACOUSTIC, in one of those superbly-designed European opera houses...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2006, 10:17:20 AM »

...and bypass the nitwits in the headphones, altogether.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2006, 10:18:35 AM »

And MY second day of school was just swell!!! I have three academic courses, which are led by wonderful, quirky professors. I think I'm gonna LOVE this!!! (even if I didn't exactly LOVE shelling out over $300 for textbooks...)
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2006, 10:19:35 AM »

I am nostalgic for Autumn in Noo Yawk, as I read the posts of all DR's assembling there for community fun... I am wit' you , in spirit!
PennyO

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »

Favorite authors...

It tends to fall into time periods more....

20th/21st century...
Bruce Kimmel, James Herriot, Douglas Adams, Anne McCaffrey, Roddy Doyle, Brendan O'Carroll, Seamus Heaney, Zora Neale Hurston, Willa Cather, Cecelia Ahern, Maya Angelou, Margery Allingham, Louise Erdrich, Nicholas Sparks, and many others....

I have three childhood writers I adored: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Lucy Maude Montgomery, and Margaurite Henry.

19th Century
Jane Austen!!!  I love her books!
George Eliot, W. B. Yeats, George Benard Shaw, Robert Burns

16th/17th Century
William Shakespeare!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:24:43 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2006, 10:24:09 AM »

And MY second day of school was just swell!!! I have three academic courses, which are led by wonderful, quirky professors. I think I'm gonna LOVE this!!! (even if I didn't exactly LOVE shelling out over $300 for textbooks...)

I hear you on the textbooks. They are rediculously expensive. One professor put 6 copies of a Microbiology text on reserve and the students are taking advantage of that. THat text costs $185.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »

Good luck with your classes and I hope you ace your classes DR PennyO!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »

Through work I can take one class free. I am finishing up my public history degree and have to take a capstone class where we do a major research paper. I am doing it on IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) and its implementation in school districts in a rural state.

Talk about the NIMBY syndrome or Not next to my kid!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:29:29 AM by DakotaCelt »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2006, 10:29:17 AM »

Hmmmm GMAIL is having server problems.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2006, 10:30:11 AM »

I'm with ya!  ;D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2006, 10:30:31 AM »

Hmmmm GMAIL is having server problems.

hmmm, must be something going around. Prodigy had problems earlier.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2006, 10:32:53 AM »

I had a high school chorus teacher who used to punch us in the stomach to get us to use our diaphrams for getting the notes....

PennyO, I am also with you on the headphones... You go girl!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »

But you *do* want to be heard, don't you?

(Married to a nitwit with headphones...film, not stage, but fighting the same battles)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2006, 10:41:12 AM »

Edisaurus, the Kritzer trilogy lays the foundation for so much of who BK is today, which is why I mentioned it. BK just said that more eloquently--and more modestly. The character of Benjamin Kritzer is still very alive in today's BK.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2006, 10:42:12 AM »

My question for Aks BK day:

What musical number from a Broadway show that NEVER made it into the film version is MOST missed....and how would you stage it?

Ask this question next week when my brain has returned.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2006, 10:44:54 AM »

Ask this question next week when my brain has returned.

LOL....hope I remember to aks it!  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »

Sound reinforcement for the stage is a fact of life - the artists do it in a subtle fashion - the B'way folks have made B'way all about them (sound design) and they are ruining the theater.  I remember seeing the awful The Capeman and thinking they got it right - very subtle but very pleasing sound reinforcement.  Then I found out that Simon had brought in his long-time engineer Roy Halee.

I'm probably going to bring Vinnie in for The Brain - just to give his two centimes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »

But you *do* want to be heard, don't you?

(Married to a nitwit with headphones...film, not stage, but fighting the same battles)

Yes DREDISAURUS - that is true.  I have only worked with "sound" people in the theatre and not on TV, Recording, or film - where things are probably MUCH different.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2006, 10:47:37 AM »

Sound reinforcement for the stage is a fact of life - the artists do it in a subtle fashion - the B'way folks have made B'way all about them (sound design) and they are ruining the theater.  I remember seeing the awful The Capeman and thinking they got it right - very subtle but very pleasing sound reinforcement.  Then I found out that Simon had brought in his long-time engineer Roy Halee.

I'm probably going to bring Vinnie in for The Brain - just to give his two centimes.

Using sound as an art and NOT an end in itself would be refreshing!  :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »

Is Donna M's book a memoir or a self help book or a book or pictures or what?

Edisaurus

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2006, 10:51:10 AM »

I am having a hard time finding the trilogy on HHW or Kritzerland...where is the best place to purchase said books?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2006, 10:52:10 AM »

BK, what time is your rehearsal over this afternoon?  Where would you like to meet?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »

I am having a hard time finding the trilogy on HHW or Kritzerland...where is the best place to purchase said books?

DR Edisaurus, they're not on Kritzerland.  Go to the HHW home page where Bruce's notes begin every day.  You see where to click on the Kritzer books.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2006, 10:54:58 AM »

Edisaurus

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2006, 10:57:19 AM »

DR Edisaurus, they're not on Kritzerland.  Go to the HHW home page where Bruce's notes begin every day.  You see where to click on the Kritzer books.

TY, DR Elmore!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2006, 11:13:34 AM »

If ordering through HHW, please let me know if the paypal account it's going to is kritzerland.  It should be - when we originally did this it was a different paypal account that no longer exists - so, please be sure it's kritzerland.  Otherwise, you can simply order the three books by going to paypal and putting in kritzerland@adelphia.net and then just add in the costs for the three books, plus only ONE shipping cost.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2006, 11:18:20 AM »

Edisaurus, the Kritzer trilogy lays the foundation for so much of who BK is today, which is why I mentioned it. BK just said that more eloquently--and more modestly. The character of Benjamin Kritzer is still very alive in today's BK.

I could not agree more with you Jeanne. Wonderful imagery and writing.

A professor at a nearby school has his Writer's Block text on reserve for his writing class.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2006, 11:18:57 AM »

elmore, we wrap at ten tonight - we could meet at Joe Allen afterward, but I may not have much voice left, so you'll do most of the talking and I'll nod.  If that's okay, just make a reservation for table 20 under my name and I'll meet you there.  Just confirm with me here or via e-mail.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up