Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHTUPPING GEESE  (Read 20706 times)

Michael

Re:THE SHTUPPING GEESE
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2003, 12:46:00 PM »

I have to admit I am even surprised. With this post their is only 30!!! Where is everyone?
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2003, 12:58:03 PM »

Good afternoon everyone!

Sorry to have been somewhat errant and truant over the last couple of weeks what with exams and the necessary post-exams-don't-let-me-near-a-computer-because-I-am-too-busy-being-lazy stage I haven't had the time or the heart to post.

Also there were my ongoing technical problems with my computer at home.  The single biggest purchase of my life.  The item which I had actually prepared a NURSERY for.  

Ever since I got it the computer would crash after about ten minutes of internet browsing.  Any other program using the internet would not be affected - only the browsers (and I tried several apart from the typical Internet Explorer).  

Dell had me re-install windows twice.  Download every possible driver imaginable and it kept doing it.  And always it would crash just as I least wanted it to.

After a month or so of not calling Dell Canada's Tech Support (I was too busy to wait on hold in Bangalore for 45 minutes+) I tried it again today.

Supposedly there is a fix for this.  I did everything the tech person (from Bangalore) told me to.  

So far, so good.  But my computer has fooled me in the past.

Please everyone pray for my nice little computer to FINALLY get rid of this problem.  I want to love it so badly... :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2003, 01:04:09 PM »

How about the books by Edward Eager?  Half Magic, Knight's Castle, Magic by the Lake, The Time Garden, and the rest?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2003, 01:15:22 PM »

Watching more DICK VAN DYKE episodes today, and there are some nice reminiscences on the first set, some as featurettes with talking heads and some as running commentaries to special episodes. These are among the funniest shows ever made. Just finished "Where Do I Come From," the story of the days leading up to Laura giving birth. Simply hilarious with lots of nice behind-the-scenes information, too, from Dick Van Dyke and Carl Reiner.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2003, 01:41:15 PM »

The mystery man in M. Shayne's photo is none other than Stephen Sondheim :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2003, 01:42:25 PM »

Yes, we're not only on our way to a new low, we're on our way to a new PITIFUL low.  I'm thinkin' maybe I'll be errant and truant, too, and just not do any new notes until after the first of the year, that's what I'm thinkin'.  I'd hate to miss out on our annual Christmas and New Year's Rockin' Eve bashes, but it's just TOO pitiful around here today.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2003, 01:42:49 PM »

Since we know that's not true, Mr. Craig, we must assume that it's you!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2003, 01:50:01 PM »

Forgot to mention that I just got early copies of the new DVDs of Wind and the Lion, the two Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movies (March and Tracy), The Postman always Rings Twice (Garfield and Turner), the divoon Where the Boys Are (with commentary track which includes Paula Prentiss and CONNIE FRANCIS!), and Days of Wine and Roses (commentary track by Mr. Blake Edwards).  Ah, which one to watch first.

And I shall laugh and laugh.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2003, 01:55:00 PM »

Matt.. we know it's not true?  I assure you.. it's not ME! It's Stephen!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2003, 02:02:11 PM »

Francis and Prentiss - are they true commentaries - are they together - or are they interviews dropped in at somewhat (but not always) appropriate moments?  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I just watched SCROOGE.  I enjoyed more than I remembered.  Finney is so very good, and the score is delightful.  

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN....hmmm....okay.  But I am so weary of live action movies that look like computer games....and how oh how do these terrible terrible actors get parts in these movies?  Or has it always been thus?

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/color]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
GOOD COMPUTER VIBES FOR EMILY!!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 02:05:23 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2003, 02:10:08 PM »

Hmmmmmmmm....it could be Mr Sondheim.....hmmmmmmm...but I don't recognize him.   :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2003, 02:29:46 PM »

Time for me to go shopping for those elusive gifts that are "just right" for people. No doubt there will be a flurry of pre yuletide posts for me to read on my return. Of course at times it is preaching to the converted! I remember how annoyed I used to get at School when our Principal ranted about the staff who were missing stasff meetings - ranting at the staff that were there and not truant anyway! My next three evenings are on the "Christmas drinks" round. I am of course most considerate as my evenings are timed to be when nearly all kimlets are in the land of Nod. I know my priorities.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2003, 02:37:41 PM »

BK has the five DVDs that won the on-line contest that Warner sponsored earlier this year to select their next five catalog releases. My curiosity would be to see the Fredric March DR. JECKYLL AND MR. HYDE to see what kind of transfer for this old movie Warners used for this release and did they do any restoring/remastering. The others are newer by comparison and probably in better shape.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2003, 02:39:37 PM »

Those lips are too thick to be Stephen Sondheim's lips. I just don't believe it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2003, 02:42:36 PM »

Wait a minute...is it Guy Haines?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2003, 02:57:57 PM »

I'll have a report on these DVDs soon.  I'm watching Where the Boys Are - lovely transfer.  I may have misread the commentary line - I think it might be just Miss Prentiss.  But, if that's the case then both are the hosts of the documentary.  More later.

I shall laugh and laugh whilst being errant and truant just like so many others.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2003, 03:01:16 PM »

Ok, I was out shopping all morning and early afternoon and just got home. I have been done with Christmas shopping for over a week now and yet I still went out to the stores! My Golly!

Well, I had to use my Target gift cards...bought socks and underwear! Humph!

Oh, favorite children's books...had lots of favorites but here are my top three...all are long gone, but I have picked up copies on Ebay or Goodwill as a rememberence!

First up is THE OLD BLACK WITCH. On the back of the book there is a recipe for "Bewitching Blueberry Pancakes" LOL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2003, 03:03:02 PM »

What care I?  What care I?  What care eye?  

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2003, 03:03:56 PM »

...and then there was the book MISS SUZY! This book was about a little squirrel whose home in a tree is invaded by evil squirrels who run her out. She takes up residence in an old doll house and befriends some tin soldiers. I read this book over and over again!  :)

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2003, 03:10:35 PM »

And my number one fave book was THE CONTENTED LITTLE PUSSY CAT by Frances Ruth Keller. It was a book that I imagine was handed down to me by my older siblings as it was written either in the late 40s or early 50s...I can't recall just now. Anyhow, my version did not have the nice cover, but the one I picked up off of Ebay did! So it was nice to see what it was supposed to look like!

I think this is the book that inspired me the most to have a happy demeanor!

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2003, 03:12:52 PM »

Alright now that I have made my posts I am gonna rest, relax, and enjoy some DVDs that just came in the mail...but first I must finish the movie that I started last night! Will check back later! ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2003, 03:26:03 PM »

And my number one fave book was THE CONTENTED LITTLE PUSSY CAT by Frances Ruth Keller.
Why does this title remind me of Mrs. Slocombe?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2003, 03:37:15 PM »

Bruce - perhaps you should sing "I Don't Care Much" - oh.. a blatant Kander and Ebb reference...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2003, 04:05:53 PM »

Perhaps several of the regulars to this here site have fallen victim to the creeping crud that is sweeping the country.  I am still trying to recover from this damn pneumonia that has hung on for the past two weeks.  Some days it feels like it takes too much energy to even turn on the computer, let alone post.  

It is now five days before Christmas and I still have lots of shopping to get done, but no energy to do it.  I am trying to take it easy today, so that I can make it through the performance tonight.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 04:22:17 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2003, 04:20:18 PM »

I guess my favorite books when I was a child would have to have been the Freddy the pig series, although looking at the web site for Freddy there are a lot of book listed that I don't remember reading.  I also read some Hardy Boys mysteries, but I preferred to watch them on Mickey Mouse Club instead.

All and all, I wasn't much of a reader when I was a kid; I was more of a daydreamer.  I would create stories and characters and then let them play out in my head.  It was only after I became an adult that I truly learned the magic of books and the joy of reading.
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2003, 04:21:48 PM »

JRand53,

I have scrupulously avoided seeing LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN which had its start as a brilliant graphic novel by Alan Moore, throwing various famous Victorian characters in one big melange.  Once I knew the studios were tossing out  certain characters and throwing in ones like Tom Sawyer, one immediately knew that they did not understand the essence and tone of the conceit and that they would screw it up.  From all reports they did.  Just another big, loud, fast movie about effects and explosions.  Not about the characters. Read the two graphic novels.  Much more fun.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2003, 04:28:40 PM »

JRand53,

I have scrupulously avoided seeing LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN which had its start as a brilliant graphic novel by Alan Moore, throwing various famous Victorian characters in one big melange.  Once I knew the studios were tossing out  certain characters and throwing in ones like Tom Sawyer, one immediately knew that they did not understand the essence and tone of the conceit and that they would screw it up.  From all reports they did.  Just another big, loud, fast movie about effects and explosions.  Not about the characters. Read the two graphic novels.  Much more fun.

I agree completely DR Charles Pogue.  I loved the graphic novles of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but I knew that I had no desire to see the film after finding out that Tom Sawyer had been thrown into the mix.   Why can't the studios recognize a great story when they see it?
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2003, 04:34:36 PM »

Thanks DR CHARLES POGUE and TCB - I will look for the graphic novels.  Everything you heard was true...I was fascinated by the idea....but certainly not the execution for just the reasons you enumerate, extraordinary HHW gentlemen!

Michael

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2003, 04:35:57 PM »

Forgot to mention that I just got early copies of the new DVDs of Wind and the Lion, the two Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movies (March and Tracy), The Postman always Rings Twice (Garfield and Turner), the divoon Where the Boys Are (with commentary track which includes Paula Prentiss and CONNIE FRANCIS!), and Days of Wine and Roses (commentary track by Mr. Blake Edwards).  Ah, which one to watch first.

And I shall laugh and laugh.

I always found it hard to laugh at The Days of Wine and Roses. I am missing something?
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2003, 04:36:07 PM »

Here, I hope, is Freddy the Pig the way I remember him.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up