Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHTUPPING GEESE  (Read 20889 times)

Michael

Re:THE SHTUPPING GEESE
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2003, 04:37:03 PM »

The mystery man in M. Shayne's photo is none other than Stephen Sondheim :)

Mr. Craig Brockman is correct. A very young Stephen Sondheim
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2003, 04:38:04 PM »

No, Freddy is the one  on the right!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2003, 04:38:12 PM »

TCB - A fellow Freddy the Pig lover! If you'll check my post very early today, you'll see I said the same thing. Are you a member of the Freddy the Pig Club? There really is such an organization and I was a member for years, but let my membership lapse last year.

bk - I adored WHERE THE BOYS ARE. Thought it was terribly educational. My mother told me nothing about sex (Her line was - "Ask whatever you want and I'll answer." ....But if you don't know anything, how do you know what to ask!) - and this film, as far as I was concerned, had it ALL.
Paula Prentiss once appeared in the audience of the Ventura Court Theater (tiny place) to see my darling daughter in a play - well, I'm sure she wasn't there just to see my daughter, but still. I could hardly restrain myself from going up to her and singing "Where the boys arrrrrre..."
The night Ross Hunter showed up... Well that's a whole other level of excitement. Trying to explain to my then 8-year-old daughter who Ross Hunter was and why she should be pleased he came to her play is a whole other story...
Speaking of my lovely daughter, I must now get in my white automobile and drive to Bob Hope Airport to pick her up.

Michael

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2003, 04:40:39 PM »

Why does this title remind me of Mrs. Slocombe?

Since we are going there and she always talked about her pussy is not a stretch to see that her name is SLOW-COME  (But the male bodily function word spelling)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2003, 04:42:34 PM »

No, Freddy is the one  on the right!!!

Stage Right?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2003, 04:47:15 PM »

I am the winner of two academy awards. Who am I???

Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2003, 04:47:17 PM »

Ah, Panni, I should have known that you would appreciate fine literature, as well.  I had never heard of the Friends of Freddy Club until I ran across it online.  I probably should join it, or at least pick up or two of the books to see what they are like from a semi-adult prospective.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2003, 05:14:59 PM »

Ross Hunter AND Paula Prentiss......remarkable.  

I know Edd Byrnes didn't win ANY Oscars, having NEVER been nominated...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....is that Michael Douglas?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2003, 05:33:07 PM »

Good evening all
I'm writing from DR Jed's computer.  He's over at the theater right now, I'll be headed that direction in about an hour.  I shall of course have a full report on the show, but I might not get to post it until tomorrow.  

Children's books - I was a total bookworm as a child, and I read everything I could get my hands on.  I've mentioned the complete Wizard of Oz series, they were wonderful.  Loved A Wrinkle in Time, all the books in that series.  When I was much younger I loved the Maurice Sendak books, and Blueberries for Sal.  I Love You Forever is a more recent book that I like.  Being a babysitter, I get to see the more recent crop of children's books.   And I'm always pleased to see how many of the classics remain.  
In honor of Christmas, I must mention The Polar Express...a wonderful classic Christmas story.
Enough out of me...back to enjoying cable

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2003, 05:37:04 PM »

DR ANN - Spike TV....Most Extreme Elimination Challenge on NOW!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2003, 05:46:57 PM »

Dear Reader Jason:  Weren't you surprised this afternoon, expecting Berlioz and getting Schoenberg instead!

My favorite book when I was a kid is called "What Do You Say, Dear?"  I can't remember who the author is, but the illustrations are by Maurice Sendak.  It is about the polite phrases one might use in the most unusual of circumstances.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2003, 05:53:12 PM »

Yes, I shall laugh and laugh, and when I am done I shall laugh some more.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2003, 06:10:41 PM »

You want to laugh, BK?  I was sent this joke in an e-mail (I think) several years ago.  I don't know if it's true or not, but it's pretty funny:

This has got to be the all-time classic comeback...

This is an exact transcription of a National Public Radio (NPR) interview between a female broadcaster, and US Army General Reinwald who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military installation.

INTERVIEWER: "So, General Reinwald, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?"

GENERAL REINWALD: "We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery, and shooting."

INTERVIEWER: "Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?"

GENERAL REINWALD: "I don't see why. They'll be properly supervised on the rifle range."

INTERVIEWER: "Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?"

GENERAL REINWALD: "I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle range discipline before they even touch a firearm."

INTERVIEWER: "But you're equipping them to become violent killers."

GENERAL REINWALD: "Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?"

* The radio went silent and the interview ended.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2003, 06:12:01 PM »

I hope that doesn't offend anyone. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2003, 06:13:32 PM »

I laughed and laughed, and now I shall laugh some more, although Days of Wine and Roses has turned pretty serious.  How wonderful Lee Remick was, and how beautiful.

Jay

« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2003, 06:42:14 PM »

I saw Pieces of April this afternoon, Dear Readers.  It's a very sweet movie.  I laughed.  I cried.  Patricia Clarkson is nothing short of wonderful in it.  See the movie.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2003, 06:50:13 PM »

Ross Hunter AND Paula Prentiss......remarkable.  

I know Edd Byrnes didn't win ANY Oscars, having NEVER been nominated...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....is that Michael Douglas?

VERY GOOD!!!! U R RIGHT!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2003, 06:51:45 PM »

I wanted to laugh so I watched Th First Nudie Musical. It had been a while since I last watched it.
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2003, 07:00:14 PM »

My friend the Filipino tenor (that's how he bills himself) is giving a recital tonight.  So I am off to hear him.  A domani.

Michael

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2003, 07:31:20 PM »

My Christmas wishes are for the following to come on DVD in R!  STAR!. Duck You Sucker and I guess the delayed  Disney archive DVD that come in the "limited Edition" tin cans
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2003, 07:32:42 PM »

I didn't wish for peace and good will towards all men because I am sure someone else wished it, but how many other people would have wished for STAR!, Duck You Sucker, and the Disney Archives??
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2003, 07:35:20 PM »

And since we mention Blake Edwards tonight and who is finally being honored with an Oscar this year I would love to see Darling Lili on DVD both the theatrical version and his later director's "subtraction. (He actually made the film shorter) I would also like to see his cut of the Wild Rovers. I have never seen the film, but from what I have read it was far better than the MGM cut.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2003, 07:35:46 PM »

Home from shopping. Not that successful but at least I came home with "Limelight" which is one of my favourite films and a CD by "Secret Garden" - the Norwegian/Irish performers. I ended up buying books for some presents - risky I know. (children's books would have been easy and more fun).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2003, 07:39:00 PM »

Mr. Blake Edwards can do comedy, drama, westerns, musicals, detective films, film noire. He was an everyman director. Although his later films were not all gems and there were some I liked better than the critics I really believe he has some great films in his collection. Compare to director George Lucas; Blake Edwards has many more great films than he does.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2003, 07:45:57 PM »

I love THE WILD ROVERS and I think Mancini's work in DARLING LILI is so beautiful....."Whistling in the Dark"......

Michael

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2003, 07:47:21 PM »

Home from shopping. Not that successful but at least I came home with "Limelight" which is one of my favourite films and a CD by "Secret Garden" - the Norwegian/Irish performers. I ended up buying books for some presents - risky I know. (children's books would have been easy and more fun).

I am also parttial to The Secret Garden that has Barbara Cook, Judy Kaye and John Cullum on it. There are some very pretty songs on it. But from the credits it looks like there were too many cooks in that broth.

The credits read something liek this:
Music by Sharon Burgett
Lyrics by Shron Burgett, Susan Beckwith-Smith. Dianna Matterson

Additional Music by Susan Beckwith-Smith
Additional Lyrics by Chandler Warren, Will Holt

I am not sure that show was even produced. BK re-release the recording on VS after the original company went bankrupt after only producing three titles Sugar Bables (Complete on the cassette release and almost complete on BK reissue on VS. The first  release of Dance a Little Closer was mixed in correctly and sound as if it was recorded in a echo chamber)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2003, 07:49:33 PM »

I love THE WILD ROVERS and I think Mancini's work in DARLING LILI is so beautiful....."Whistling in the Dark"......

Whistling Away the Dark is my favorite Johnny Mercer lyric.

And the opening scene which is Whistling Away the Dark is done in one take with no cut aways. The camera follows Julie Andrews 360 around the stage. One of the truly amazing camera shots in film.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2003, 07:51:16 PM »

My friend the Filipino tenor (that's how he bills himself) is giving a recital tonight.  So I am off to hear him.  A domani.

I had to read this a second time because I thought it said the Filipino terror!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2003, 07:54:05 PM »

I had a feeling that this was going to be a slow post day. When I was the first post after BK and that was 3 hours later!! I always look forward to my fellow DR posting ahead of me. The only time that I get to post that early is 3:00am EST is when I can't sleep
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2003, 07:56:58 PM »

I also meant to mention that I loved Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. I also had a multi LP set of Cyril Ritchard narrating the book. The covers of the album were the Tennille illustrations. I would love to hear this recording again some time. The interesting thing is the Alice novels are really adult books. I studied them in college and one of the best versions of the book is the Annotated edition
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 07:57:19 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up