Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LIVE FROM TOWN HALL  (Read 20459 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LIVE FROM TOWN HALL
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:55:04 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were live, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're recording their new show, The Cows Come Home, Live From The Cow Palace.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:07:11 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LIVE FROM TOWN HALL
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:01:37 PM »

And the word of the day is: JOCUND!

François de Paris

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:30:21 PM »

And the word of the day is: JOCUND!

Mona Lisa's last name?! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 10:34:29 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were live, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're recording their new show, The Cows Come Home, Live From The Cow Palace.

Their first hit was "Cow Cow Boogie" of course!

FJL

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 10:37:10 PM »

Just got back from the after-party, and I am properly snockered on Diet Cokes.

FJL

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 10:39:05 PM »

Wow, what a concert!  How I wish it had been preserved so that everyone could hear it - oh wait, it was, wasn't it?  :)

FJL

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 10:44:12 PM »

Congrats, DR Pogue, on your fabulous review.  

FJL

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 10:49:33 PM »

Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner are not only great performers, but seem to be lovely people as well.  They stayed speaking with people until pretty much the very end of the party.  

(I stayed until the end of the party, too, but that was just for my own enjoyment, though.  It was a lovely group of folks.)  

François de Paris

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 10:50:04 PM »

Wow, what a concert!  How I wish it had been preserved so that everyone could hear it - oh wait, it was, wasn't it?  :)

Have another Diet Coke, FJL! ;)

FJL

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 10:51:19 PM »

FRERE JOCUND - that's the name of something, isn't it?

François de Paris

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 10:52:36 PM »

FRERE JOCUND - that's the name of something, isn't it?

Not something! Someone! (If I Were A Bell!)

François de Paris

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 10:53:53 PM »

Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner are not only great performers, but seem to be lovely people as well.  They stayed speaking with people until pretty much the very end of the party.  

(I stayed until the end of the party, too, but that was just for my own enjoyment, though.  It was a lovely group of folks.)  

You've stayed too long at the fair!

FJL

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 11:01:25 PM »

JOCUND THE BEANSTALK - the new gay fairy tale

Hmmm...it IS getting late.

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 11:42:05 PM »

I also attended a concert tonight which was held at the old town hall in Turner, just outside of Salem...the main act was

...and it was absolutely fantastic!!! The New Christy Minstrels only have 8 members now, but 6 of those 8 are the original people...and gosh but they sound great still!!!!

Mom mom went with me and her first comment when they came onstage was "Well, they don't look very new to me." LOL! But she loved them to and of course she knew all of there songs!

The opening act was a wonderful Northwest group called THE TRAIL BAND...and one of the singers in the band is Rindi Ross, former lead singer of QUARTERFLASH!

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 11:46:08 PM »

One of those original New Christy Minstrel members is singer Barry McGuire who later had a solo career and had a hit with the song EVE OF DESTRUCTION, which he sang tonight...that man has one heck of a voice...and he is funny as all get out! Really nice guy!

I had a chance to speak with lead singer Randy Sparks after the show. Very nice guy also. His wife is one of my favorite 50s actresses, and when he found out he gave me his phone number and told me to call her this week! LOL! So of course I will!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »

Sounds like there were great concerts on both coasts! ;D

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:53:18 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 12:05:40 AM »

I can't wait for the CD of Emily and Alice...together again!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 02:41:48 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and shall now be on my way to the airport.  I shall post live from there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 04:27:50 AM »

Here I am, live from the Newark airport - barely.  What a morning!  Last night, I called my car service and moved my pickup time to six, just because I'm a nervous traveler.  They confirmed everything.  I went downstairs at five to six - no car.  I called.  They told me I'd called at five-twenty-five and  cancelled the car.  I told them I wasn't even awake at five-twenty-five and that, no, I did not cancel the car.  They said they'd have a car to me in fifteen minutes - I said unacceptable and said I needed it there faster.  They said eight minutes.  Eight minutes later - no car.  I called back.  They told me I'd cancelled my reservation at five-twenty-five - I told them to stop the horse manure.  I told them if the car wasn't going to be there in two minutes I'd get a cab - they said get a cab.  I got a cab.  I got a driver who, while very fast, was very confused as to where Newark or New Jersey was (apparently they are doing construction and keep changing and/or moving the lane signs and he got totally screwed up).  He had to pull off the road twice.  I, naturally, being a nervous traveler, was not being my usual kind, sweet self.  I was, to put it kindly, freaking out.  He finally figured out what he was doing and we got to the airport at about six-fifty-five, but not before he almost took a wrong turn to the wrong building (happily, I was paying attention).  The difference between arriving at six-thirty and seven is enormous and the lines were unbelievable at security.  But, I got through without incident (except they did an extra special check on my CONVERSE SNEAKERS!).  I am now happily ensconced in the President's Club.  I had another conversation with James, the Dispatch Man from the car service, who was checking to see what really happened.  He confirmed that I'd changed my time from six-fifteen to six.  He said I'd called at five-twenty-five to cancel.  I told him I would personally come find him if he said that again, and that I did NOT call or cancel anything.  Then, he finally admitted that SOMEONE called to cancel a car and that the operator inadvertantly cancelled mine instead of whoever's.

And there you have it.  I am now trying to calm down so I can have a nice, peaceful flight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 04:29:00 AM »

It's not too crowded in the President's Club - although, I admit to fleeing to a private cubicle quickly so I wouldn't have to watch people shoving rolls and bagels into their gaping hungry maws.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 04:33:23 AM »

Sounds like there were great concerts on both coasts! ;D

And in the South, too. Randy Newman did a second night with the Atlanta Symphony. We're very lucky because it's one of the few dates on his tour when he performs with an orchestra. We talked about all the different times he's performed with the ASO---he remembered every concert and every conductor. Very impressive! He said that the ASO had really come a long way since he first performed with them over 30 years ago. He has some great new political songs coming out and may record his next album in Jan.

Earlier in the day, I chauffered around one of Randy's friends who is a songwriter in Nashville. He had arranged for us to tour Ireland last year with the Dady Brothers, two Irish musicians. I took a group of people on this trip, including my mom. so she was glad to be reunited with Jim and they talked and talked and then we went to the city-wide yard sale and shopped and shopped. Then I raced to a wedding and made it to the concert in time to catch the last half. I gave Randy a copy of Sacco and Vanzetti, because his piano arranger, Michael Roth, did some music for us and he had seen it "in progress". So if there's a crappy movie on the plane, maybe he'll watch it! And he said we could interview him for the Johnny Mercer film if it goes through (I'll find out Monday) so that will be fun.

As I drove Mom and Jim around town we listened to Guy Haines the entire time and they were both entralled by his beautiful, pure baritone. They both loved Guy's version of Randy's "Marie", and my mom loved every song. In her words: "He's better than the people at the top of the charts right now". That solves some of my holiday shopping--I wonder if I could get Guy to autograph some CD's?? ;)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 04:36:52 AM »

BK---what a way to start the day! I hope the rest of your travels go smoother than your ride to the airport.

Have a sticky bun and relaaaaax!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 04:43:03 AM »

I've calmed down now, but it wasn't pretty in the cab and it wasn't pretty on the phone with the car service.  I must admit, I can be a miserable SOB if people aren't doing their jobs correctly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 04:44:05 AM »

I guess I shall toddle over to the gate and shortly I shall board the plane.  And then I shall post from the home environment as soon as I get there.

Edisaurus

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 04:49:25 AM »

Safe and uneventful flight to you. I hope you have a good book with you. (I've got lots of them. I wish I was travelling somewhere!)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2006, 05:36:17 AM »

I am also a nervous traveler, I guess. I don't like to have to depend on others, just in case they don't show up. I'm glad you got there on time! I don't like to fly; too many things can go wrong.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 05:52:11 AM »

Glad to hear it went so well at the town hall. Mix quick and have it out before Christmas so I can give it out as some gifts.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2006, 05:56:10 AM »

I also attended a concert tonight which was held at the old town hall in Turner, just outside of Salem...the main act was

!

Was there a group called "The Christy Minstrels"? I don't recall one.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2006, 06:00:02 AM »

Speaking of the show last night, I saw this at Amazon. They could have asked the ladies to write the forward at least.

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 06:26:55 AM »

Good morning!

Wet and dreary here. Typical for October. TOmorrow is supposed to be lovely. I'll hold out for tomorrow though I have plenty of inside chores to do today anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up