Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG MONDAY  (Read 20262 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE BIG MONDAY
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 07:19:44 AM »

Thanks for the photo, DR ELMORE.  If I were the photographer, the gentleman would have been in the center!!

The girls look great!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2006, 07:20:30 AM »

Page Two Allison Hayes Fashion Forward Dance.  :o
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2006, 07:56:10 AM »

So happy to read that DR Tom and COlin got back home safely (and, of course, bk, too). These days, one always breathes a sigh of relief when a trip by jet is completed successfully.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2006, 07:57:17 AM »

Your travel stories made me think of an even more miserable flight. I tell this with the hope that it will help future travellers.

I went out to LA for a few days to edit a short film. I had dinner at a restaurant in Larchmont Village and had bad shrimp and the resulting food poisoning. I was up all night but still made it to the edit sessions. (The suite was conveniently near the ladies room!) This lowered my resistance so much that I caught a cold, which for me means no sleep. After several days of misery, my beloved grandmother, my favorite relative in the world, died. (She was 97 and had Alzheimers but I was still devestated.) So I had to fly to Atlanta, pick up Greg and then fly to Ohio to the funeral with a terrible head cold. I had always heard that you shouldn't fly with a head cold. Well, that's the last thing I heard.

My head was so congested that I thought it was going to explode on the plane! I think I would have been happier if it had. I probably came close to destroying my ear drums. I was in such pain that tears were flowing out of my eyes the entire flight. When it landed, I couldn't hear anything; it was as though I was wearing ear muffs. My ears stayed that way for almost the entire time there.

The day I was to leave, Greg bought some ear plugs---those clear ones that mold themselves to your ear canal. He told me to jam them in my ears as tight as I could and not to take them out until we landed. It was like a miracle! I had a pain-free flight and could hear when we landed. So there's a little tip if you have a head cold and must fly somewhere!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2006, 08:02:19 AM »

My two worst travel experiences happened on the same trip, when we went to Mexico some years ago.

When we got to Mexico City and went to our hotel (the Balmer, as I recall), our room was not ready. In fact, there was some sort of strike and the people who had our room weren't leaving, so we had no place to stay. The hotel booked us a room for the night at a motel across the city and took our luggage and us there, all gratis. Seemed like an OK arrangement for the night.

Anyway, the place was pretty ratty looking, but we thought we could stand it for one night. But what a night! People yelling and screaming during the night. All kinds of doors being opened and closed loudly, so we didn't get great sleep that night at all.

The next day, my aunt (who was someone not to be crossed) took us back to the Balmer and told the manager we were staying and sleeping in the lobby until we got our rooms. While we were waiting that morning to be put SOMEWHERE in the hotel, we got a day old English language newspaper and read that there had been a murder the night before at the motel where we had been shipped! It might have even happened in the room where we stayed since one wall had been freshly painted.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2006, 08:05:16 AM »

The other awful experience happened on the way home from Mexico City. We stayed in Mexico three weeks on that trip, and on the way back home, pur PanAm plane ran into a tropical storm over Miami, and we had to circle above it for over two hours. Even above it, there was a lot of turbulance, and once we finally landed (the storm still seemed pretty severe, so I wonder if we were running low on fuel), it was the rockiest, scariest landing I ever experienced.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2006, 08:08:51 AM »

I've had so many wonderful travel experiences they'd be too numerous to name. My favorite recent one was a week at Disney World and the nother Disney parks in Orlando. We stayed a week - basically one to two days per park, and I had a great time being a kid again. Those theme parks have a way of bringing out to kid in you, or, at least, in me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2006, 08:10:46 AM »

For a change, I am not having lunch today with best friend John (doing it tomorrow). So, I should be able to get through all my shows from last night that were recorded.

I'll start with DEXTER since that has quickly become one of my favorites; it's so different with such a dark character at the center of the show. Makes TOny Soprano seem like a Kindergarten teacher.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2006, 08:27:36 AM »

Off now to tend to some business around the house and then look around to something to fix for lunch.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »

I'm an hour away from my visit to the chiropractor (oh, heavenly day).  This will be visit number 2 and I've felt like "new" since the first.  I can't wait to feel even better.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2006, 08:47:28 AM »

Hopefully, one or two of you took advantage of NBC's "Heroes" marathon last evening.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2006, 08:48:13 AM »

Save the cheerleader...

...save the World!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2006, 09:02:28 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, after a lovely night's sleep - I fell asleep by eleven-fifteen, so that's over nine hours.

Glad Tomovoz and Colin are safe and sound and wish I'd seen them.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2006, 09:15:26 AM »

~~~VIBES TO DR BEN'S DP ANT!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »

So, BK...I don't remember if you've said, but when do you expect to start taking pre-orders on the Emily/Alice CD??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »

Best travel experience was right after 9/11 on a trip from LA to London on Virgin Atlantic.  We had actually booked Premimum Economy, but we must have taken the delight of the booking agent at the desk when we checked in, because we discovered our tickets were for first class.  Seats that became beds, massages, lots of perks!

I also travelled first class on Virgin Atlantic both to  and from London/La for the Writers' Guild; great lounges!

Worst was when we let someone else book us from LA to Louisville on United.  We arrived on a Saturday and stood in hideous lines both at check-in and to go through security.  It was also shortly after they stopped offering meals and replaced them with those god-awful lunch boxes they sell now.

BK, The Lovely Wife is looking over my shoulder and says you must come here NOW!  Well...we'll be gone during November to England, but you must get your petite buns of steel out here soon!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2006, 09:22:34 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, jet-setting, swarthy, and well-rested BK --

We are all glad that you are home safely, and that everything was successful in NYC.  Hopefully, there will be a few pictures forthcoming (and as you would say, "also comeforthing").

Charles Pogue

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2006, 09:24:01 AM »

Article on Pogue's return to the stage.  It could have used some fact-checking as several of the details are wrong, but it's more or less accurate:

www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/entertainment/performing_arts/15803673.htm
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 09:25:42 AM by Charles Pogue »

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2006, 09:29:22 AM »

Welcome back home to the Aussies!!!!

MusicGuy

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2006, 09:29:23 AM »

TOD:
 Worst travel day:

I had played a concert at a small performing arts center in Wisconsin on a Sunday evening.

I normally would have flown home the following day, Monday, except the arts center wanted me to stay and do some consulting on possible changes to their building.

So I had my return flight booked for the next day, Tuesday.  Normally, this would be absolutely no big deal.

The only problem.......

The Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday happened to be Sept. 9th, 10th, and 11th, 2001.

I spent the next 5 days stranded, phoning airlines every 2 or 3 hours, and just wanting to be back to the safety of my own home and be with Kerry.

MusicGuy

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2006, 09:32:12 AM »

Hi DR Pogue.......you seem like a fascinating and multi-layered person.  I hope I get the chance to meet you in person someday.  You also happen to scare me.......don't know why.

MusicGuy

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2006, 09:33:37 AM »

For DR TomOfOz ....... We are glad that your trip was wonderful, and that you are also now back home safely.  I hope Colin enjoyed the trip as well......does he also enjoy theatre and music of the sort talked about here??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2006, 09:34:25 AM »

I will go to Kentucky, I will!

I'm trying to decide if there's any way humanly possible to get the Alice and Emily CD out in time for Christmas.  We're going to start mixing on Wednesday, so that part will be finished within a week or so, but the girls can't take a cover photo till Alice gets back to NY on 11/18 - however, if we have everything else ready to go, I could still conceivably have discs by 12/10 or so - it's just getting them shipped in time for the holidays.  We shall see - I'm going to talk to Alice and Em about it, although both are excited by the Christmas prospect.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2006, 09:34:52 AM »

For more photos of Pogue's Underpants, go to:

www.larryneuzelphotography.com

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2006, 09:35:13 AM »

Well, hopefully Pogue and the lovely wife will be here for The Brain.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2006, 09:43:18 AM »

Article on Pogue's return to the stage.  It could have used some fact-checking as several of the details are wrong, but it's more or less accurate:

www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/entertainment/performing_arts/15803673.htm

DR CharlesPogue, excellent!  DR Ginny wants us to come see your show while I'm in Ohio, but I can't plan anything till I see how my dad's progressing.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2006, 09:54:55 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the morning meeting, then need to do a couple of errands, after which I shall return briefly.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2006, 10:34:38 AM »

Monday greetings!  First thing this morning, I had to teach the October version of grantseeking basics to an attentive audience of 20.  Now I'm enjoying my lunch, resting my voice, and catching up on today's posts.

DR CharlesPogue, excellent!  DR Ginny wants us to come see your show while I'm in Ohio, but I can't plan anything till I see how my dad's progressing.

Oh, I'm glad you haven't ruled it out entirely, DR Elmore!

Welcome home vibes to DR Tomovoz and Colin!

DR Ben, I'm glad Ant's feeling better - now you get some rest.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2006, 10:46:30 AM »

TOD -

Best:  The three and a half week driving trip we took in 1996 when our son was almost 11 years old.  We called it our "See the USA" tour, making a big loop up to the Black Hills, across northern Wyoming to Yellowstone, down to Salt Lake City, Zion National Park, and Las Vegas.  We spent a 5-day weekend in the LA area, doing Disneyland on Friday and Universal Studios on Monday.  Then we drove to Phoenix, picked up my mom, and she came back to Ohio with us.  Early in the trip, we'd left a bag of toiletries behind in Greybull, WY, and I said if that was the worst thing that happened we'd be fine - it was and we were.

In 1999, we did "See the USA II," to the east coast and in 2001, "Colorado, Rocky Mountain High."

Worst:  Flying back from visiting my mom in Phoenix, we were on TWA landing side-by-side another jet in St. Louis.  The plane next to us landed and we didn't.  The pilot said, "We're going to try that again."  My husband said, "I didn't hear the landing gear open, did you?"  I had visions of them foaming the runway for our wheelless landing and seeing fire trucks and ambulances waiting for us, but we landed fine the next time around.  No explanations, nothing.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2006, 11:03:07 AM »

Hopefully, one or two of you took advantage of NBC's "Heroes" marathon last evening.

And for those who didn't, this HEROES EPISODE GUIDE is very helpful.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up