Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISHES, PROMISHES  (Read 37387 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:PROMISHES, PROMISHES
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 05:40:30 AM »

My ask BK question:
Does Guy Haines have any plans to record another album? (If so, I nominated Randy Newman's song "I Miss You" for consideration...he did such a beautiful job with "Marie".)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 05:45:35 AM »

As Paul Harvey says, "Page Two"!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 06:29:09 AM »

And the word of the day is: OPSIMATHY!
Casey would waltz
With an OPSIMATHIC blonde
For whom the waltz was a fairly new dance -
When she was a child, the minuet was all the rage.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 06:34:00 AM »

The older nations of the world, in their OPSIMATHY, find AMITY POSH.  It is the younger nations that are eager to go to war.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 06:43:16 AM »

One of the latest Bitch fests on the Home Theater Forum "discussion" board is that there is a minute of dialogue missing fom the recent DVD release of Sweet Charity.

Some people returned the DVD. Some wrote letters. Some threatened never to buy another DVD from Universal.

What is more useless:
1) Knowing that there is a minute of dialogue missing.
2) Sitting there and comparing the LD to DVD releases. (They don't have any better to do?
3) That you actually took the time to post it on that website.

Now, wait a sec here!  Our own DR Matt and Esteemed BK have posted their comparisons on occasion, which I find interesting.  I admit that getting into every nit and pick can be a bit much, but getting a general impression of the quality of a new release has it's value.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 06:46:23 AM »

From the looks of it, DR Edisaurus, you can rightly claim to be living in a cat house!

I won't tell your mother if you don't!    ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 06:47:01 AM »

Der Brucer and I are regularly in the dog house!   ::)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 06:55:42 AM »

I am home sick from work today.  Mostly it's a mental health day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 06:58:54 AM »

Yesterday, after a full eight hours cashiering, I returned home to find der Brucer lounging on the couch.  I had thought we were going shopping for clothes, so that I can appear in my stunning best when we head up to Philly on Saturday - it's his high school reunion, and I get to be his trophy spouse!

I knew I needed pants, but he wasn't going to budge until I proved that my old suit slacks were too tight.

Yep, they were too tight.

So off we went to the outlet stores (one of the other things Rehoboth is known for, besides being a beach resort town), to find me some new pants.  Fortunately, Haggar has a store there, and they had their regular sale, two pairs for $40 (saving about ten bucks, and Delaware has no sales tax), so I got a black pair and an off-white pair, both of which I can also wear to work.

Der B, meanwhile, decided he couldn't resist getting a new pair of jeans.

Guess what.  The size he's been wearing?  Didn't fit.

Der B was chagrinned.  I just told the salesman "I guess I've been feeding us right," and he laughed and laughed.

Today, we get haircuts.  We will be stunning at that reunion, absolutely stunning!

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 06:59:42 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Today, I have a noontime meeting at the Dayton Racquet Club.  It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2006, 07:00:03 AM »

Vibage, TPunk!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 07:01:40 AM »

Vibes for DR TPunk!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 07:09:23 AM »

DR Edisaurus..LOVE the photo of the cats!  

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 07:09:37 AM »

Vibes for TPUNK~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 07:14:28 AM »

Today I have a couple things to do at work. The rest of the office is going to the optional dinner/get together before our annual office outing tomorrow. By not going I get a quiet day with the office closed. I have to get up at about 5:00 AM to make it to the outing.  

I'm not big on these things and the weather is supposed to be lousy, but I've always wanted to ride on the Boone and Scenic Railroad and that's part of the trip, so it should be fun...here's a link to the railway http://www.scenic-valleyrr.com/  You have to click on "catch the train" to see the train
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 07:15:37 AM by Cillaliz »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2006, 07:20:47 AM »

thanks for all the vibes.  I'm happy to have a day to just take it easy, maybe take care of a few loose ends, and tidy up the house a little.  Right now, a shower!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2006, 07:37:42 AM »

Good morning!

More clouds than blue in the skies today, but it's still pretty out and very cool. Should make for a fine day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2006, 07:39:16 AM »

Larry, I'll be interested in hearing your take on Mary Poppins. I hear they have toned it down a little from the British production though it's still a much darker and harsher look at the story. Apparently the only way Travers would agree to a musical version (she was still alive until recently) was if Mackintosh hewed closer to the stories she wrote and less toward the Disney version. Apparently there is a scene (according to Michael Riedel) that makes some children crawl under their seats in fright.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2006, 07:42:54 AM »

I certainly didn't notice the missing dialog from SWEET CHARITY, but I did miss the joke in BRINGING UP BABY that was snipped out right before Susan Vance skips from the police station. That edit/cut is obvious coming in mid sentence.

I compare laserdisc to DVD usually for picture or sound sake, but it's usually a very quick comparison. I certainly don't do it frame by frame for an entire movie. THE LITTLE MERMAID was the most recent example, but the most telling comparison I've done lately was with that abominable remaster of the Todd-AO version of OKLAHOMA. The laserdisc (and first DVD release) looks a thousand times better than the recent remastering.

But every studio has made mistakes with transfers from time to time. It hurts sometimes, and it makes me mad sometimes, but to boycott a studio for doing a lousy transfer? Absurd. Each one controls too many things I love and wouldn't want to give up for some silly protest that would accomplish nothing.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2006, 07:43:04 AM »

When I see it (Mary Poppins that is), I assume I will be up near the famous Ziegfeld Roof Garden. I'm goin' for the cheap seats although according to this price chart from the offical Disney on Broadway site, I could sit in the Balcony F-J or even A-E and still be able to pay the rent and buy a few groceries

Orchestra - $110.00
Mezzanine AA-KK - $110.00
Mezzanine LL-RR - $80.00
Balcony A-E - $60.00
Balcony F-J - $$40.00
Balcony K-M - $20.00
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 07:43:37 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2006, 07:45:20 AM »

Thanks for the additional pictures of the Seattle and Tacoma HHW gatherings. Always great to see fellow DRs "in the flesh."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2006, 07:45:59 AM »

I just did some research on that high school of der B's.  Among the graduates (but not in his class - so few are!):

Ed Wynn
Thomas Eakins (the painter)
Noam Chomsky
Daniel and Simon Guggenheim
Alexander Wollcott
Teller (of "Penn &" fame)
Norman Fell
and Larry Fine (prior to meeting Curley and Moe)

While Bill Cosby attended said high school, he did not graduate.  Instead, he transferred to another school, dropped out, joined the Navy, realized he needed the education after all, took a correspondence course and got his GED, and went to Temple University after that.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2006, 07:46:46 AM »

My best friend John and his family saw MARY POPPINS in London in the summer of 2005 and while they enjoyed it, they did feel it was cold in tone, too long, and the new songs brought in weren't very good.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »

... Apparently there is a scene (according to Michael Riedel) that makes some children crawl under their seats in fright.
Of course, he could be confused here, as he has the same effect on children himself.

::)

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2006, 07:53:30 AM »

Very odd. Last night, NBC and CBS ran mostly reruns opposite the World Series. Tonight, they're running new episodes of all of their shows opposite the World Series.

Edisaurus

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2006, 07:55:10 AM »

From the looks of it, DR Edisaurus, you can rightly claim to be living in a cat house!

You don't know the half of it!

But *now* you do....

Edisaurus

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2006, 08:03:35 AM »

I just did some research on that high school of der B's.  

Noam Chomsky

Now *there* would be some good scuffles in the schoolyard!

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2006, 08:04:47 AM »

Re: Dancing With the STars.

DR Cillaliz i guess we shall have to disagree again.

My favorite is Mario Lopez, then joey, then monique.  I really would like jerry springer to leave tonight. I do think he has done great for his capabilities. And he is entertaining. But he is so inferior in his dancing that i just think it's time for him to go.

And while I admire emmit's work ethic, and i think he has done quite well, i really do not want him to win.  He is one of the only dancers i have never voted for.  He is good enough. But i truly don't feel he is anywhere near as good as mario.  But i think the thing that rubs me the wrong way is how popular he is. I would just rather the best dancer win vs the most popular.

Edisaurus

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2006, 08:08:01 AM »

Good health vibes to TPunk!

Edisaurus

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2006, 08:08:57 AM »

THREE IS A MAGIC NUMBER...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up