Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TWO TO ONE  (Read 45999 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:TWO TO ONE
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2006, 04:13:15 PM »

Does Larry have a right-wing closet door?

Oh, God, I hope not!

BK, did you think about the key change?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2006, 04:15:09 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
PAGE 4 DANCE

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2006, 04:25:58 PM »

Back from the next-to-last Cincinnati performance of Spamalot which we all found quite silly and fun.  We did not, however, see as King Arthur the much-praised (in the local papers and here on HHW) Michael Siberry.  We saw, instead, his understudy Christopher Gurr.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2006, 04:42:12 PM »

I think most people say "savings" - but some of our hainsies/kimlets are STICKLERS!  

MOI?

I am simply trying to save you from the potential dire consequences of referring to "Daylight Savings Time":

The Uniform Time Act (Pub.L. 89-387, April 13, 1966, 80 Stat. 107, 15 U.S.C. § 260a) is a 1966 United States federal law whose effect was to simplify the official pattern of where and when Daylight saving time (DST) is applied within the U.S.

Un-American references to "Savings" might be construed as a violation of Federal Law, and the miscreant reported to the Feds under the Patriot Act - and if you don't think stuff like this can happen, you need to watch Fox News more often :-*

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »

My home is a shambles whilst I rearrange furniture...I really wish my home were not so darn small....I have more furnishings than I do home to place them in.

If your home was larger, you'd probably end up buying more things and would have the same problem.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »

From DRLaura:
But I thought that the fruit on the top of the cake was better than the art:

;D ;D ;D  

Sandra, always pretty, looks very sophisticated these days. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 05:02:04 PM by Jane »

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2006, 05:01:36 PM »

Unfortunately, you are probably right Cillaliz! LOL!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2006, 05:13:23 PM »

REUNION TALE

We checked into the Reunion Booth to get our passes for the Barnes Museum. I commented that I was debating driving or taking the train. "Oh, you should drive!" was the comment. "Might there not be a problem with parking?", I asked. "Oh, no!" was the reply, "Just tell them your from Central." (Note: the Barnes web site was very clear that parking is regularly full and visitors were turned out into the hostile environs to fend for themselves.) One of my hosts noted to to me that the West River Drive was closed, and that I should consider taking the East River Drive. I commented that I intended to just whip up on Interstate 76 to City Line Ave. "Oh, God, no, the traffic will be horrible" was the reply.

Not one to take advice, we headed to the regional commuter train station (a short 6 blocks away). My MedicareCard got me a Ticket for $1.00 and Woody had to pay all of $3.00.

The train was clean and pleasant - the ride a scant 20 minutes. We then had to hoof it to the museum (less than a mile away). The morning rains had ended, the air was crystal clear, and the autumn's foliage a delight.

Views from the walk:

As you can see, Philadelphia's Main Line still retains the rustic charm of its humble beginnings.

der Brucer

PS It seems most people think that anyone who would take Public Transit when they had a car available was an idiot. (When we arrive at the museum gate, we were re-directed to the parking area to pick up our passes!)

Jane

« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2006, 05:18:50 PM »

Tomovoz-as always, beautiful photos of your trip.

DerBrucer-I love the old buildings in Pennsylvania, thank you for the photos.  When we left Bucks County I had to have a painting of a beautiful old stone mill.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2006, 05:21:56 PM »

I also stand corrected & won’t say “savings” anymore.  It does seem as if it should be plural.  

For those of you, like myself, who prefer to stay on daylight saving time all year:

"Under a law passed last year, daylight-saving time will start the second Sunday in March and run until the first Sunday in November, making it three weeks longer."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2006, 05:38:38 PM »

It does seem as if it should be plural.  

Since you asked 8)

SPELLING AND GRAMMAR

The official spelling is Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight SavingS Time.

Saving is used here as a verbal adjective (a participle). It modifies time and tells us more about its nature; namely, that it is characterized by the activity of saving daylight. It is a saving daylight kind of time. Similar examples would be a mind expanding book or a man eating tiger. Saving is used in the same way as saving a ball game, rather than as a savings account.

Nevertheless, many people feel the word savings (with an 's') flows more mellifluously off the tongue. Daylight Savings Time is also in common usage, and can be found in dictionaries.

Adding to the confusion is that the phrase Daylight Saving Time is inaccurate, since no daylight is actually saved. Daylight Shifting Time would be better, but it is not as politically desirable.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 05:39:16 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jane

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2006, 05:48:58 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2006, 06:01:41 PM »

Does Larry have a right-wing closet door?

Speaking on this fear of the right, I saw an alarming program on PBS tonight about the religious right out campaigning to save family values from homasekshuls in this upcoming election.  Since I see no standard of  what "decent family values" could possibly be, in television, film, part of my family and other locales, where do these religious right morons determinen what "family values" are and who has them?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2006, 06:11:16 PM »

...where do these religious right morons determinen what "family values" are and who has them?

Mirror, Mirror on the wall....

der Brucer

Note: Hasn't polygamy been practised by more people and more cultures than Monogamy?

Wait 'till they find out that their "Christian" nation is a small (less than one third) part of a multi-cultural world!

Jane

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2006, 06:13:09 PM »

'night

DERBRUCER

« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2006, 06:14:55 PM »

Speaking on this fear of the right, I saw an alarming program on PBS tonight about the religious right out campaigning to save family values from homasekshuls in this upcoming election.

A Log Cabin friend in south Florida regularly challenges the Family Values folks with "You are correct. The Family is the bedrock of our society. Please join with me in outlawing all Divorce!" That usually clears the room!

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2006, 06:22:56 PM »

A Log Cabin friend in south Florida regularly challenges the Family Values folks with "You are correct. The Family is the bedrock of our society. Please join with me in outlawing all Divorce!" That usually clears the room!

der Brucer

I like that!  Lady Macbeth is my brother's third wife.  And I believe he's her third husband.  Ah, symmetry!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2006, 06:27:58 PM »

I like that!  Lady Macbeth is my brother's third wife.  And I believe he's her third husband.  Ah, symmetry!

If at first you don't succeed...

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2006, 06:30:11 PM »

Actually, I think I like Daylight Savings Time better than Daylight Saving Time....and I shall keep calling it that.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2006, 06:37:12 PM »

Actually, I think I like Daylight Savings Time better than Daylight Saving Time....and I shall keep calling it that.

I say it because I've only heard that for the past century.  Colloquialism!  I'll drink to that!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 06:37:36 PM by elmore3003 »

Cillaliz

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2006, 06:40:46 PM »

I say it because I've only heard that for the past century.  Colloquialism!  I'll drink to that!

A Century! Gee, Elmore, you don't look a day over.....49....yeah, that's it  ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2006, 06:45:27 PM »

What a beautiful day we had today!  It was in the 70s!   I spent the entire day doing yard work, it was exhausting, but it's always rewarding to get the work done

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2006, 07:01:44 PM »

I just finished watching Grey Gardens for the first time.  Oy.  Maybe even double or triple oy.  Did Little Edie suffer from premature hair loss--is that why she always wore scarves?  Robert Osborne made me laugh in his closing segment with Ebersole and Wilson--"They both had so much energy, you'd think they could have picked up a dustpan once in a while."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2006, 07:02:45 PM »

I actually watched Faux News for a while this afternoon to see Liddy take on Chuck.  I must say Chris Wallace went after Liddy quite a biddy--er, bit.  Maybe he's trying to atone for the Clinton fiasco.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2006, 07:10:44 PM »

I have been urging what few Religious Right friends I have to read The Jesus Dynasty and Misquoting Jesus, two quite excellent books I recommend to anyone with an interest in how we got to where we are today.  It's amazing how immune to facts some of these people are.   ;D

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2006, 07:42:57 PM »

I spent the entire day doing yard work, it was exhausting, but it's always rewarding to get the work done

But have you gotten your bomb shelter painted yet?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2006, 08:07:03 PM »

Considering we had an extra hour the fact that we could achieve a new all-time low is rather astonishing.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2006, 08:15:40 PM »

I am watching Vas O No Vas on the Spanish channel. I love game shows even if I can't understand what they're talking about.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2006, 08:23:43 PM »

I watched YOU'RE NOT ELECTED, CHARLIE BROWN when I went back to the den. In the string of Peanuts specials, it's not one of the classics, that's for sure. There were some mildly amusing situations (Sally takes Charlie Brown in for show & tell), but THE GREAT PUMPKIN (on the same DVD) is far superior.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2006, 08:26:03 PM »

Does anyone remember that the first REAL spelling bee musical was A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up