Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TWO TO ONE  (Read 45857 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TWO TO ONE
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:18:46 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were posted late but not really, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're not used to the time change yet and are wandering around looking for the hour.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 12:21:06 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TWO TO ONE
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: UXORIOUS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 01:47:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: UXORIOUS!

UXORIOUS was also the HHW Word of the Day on July 2nd, 2006.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 01:48:17 AM »

But since it wasn't defined back then, here's the definition of UXORIOUS from m-w.com:

Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin uxorius uxorious, uxorial, from uxor wife
: excessively fond of or submissive to a wife
- ux·o·ri·ous·ly adverb
- ux·o·ri·ous·ness noun
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 01:48:44 AM »

And dictionary.com has a little more: "Doting upon, foolishly fond of, or affectionately submissive toward one's wife."

George

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 01:49:56 AM »

And now, I'm going to bed. :)

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 01:10:38 AM »

Yes, the party was interesting, and I now know many facts about Jane Fonda ;-P

I am glad that I went home when I did, the crazies were just leaving for their Halloween parties and now at two am (one) I am beginning to hear them come stumbling in, and I do not envy the headaches they will be complaining about in the elevator tomorrow morning.  

I finished watching Rosemary's baby....wow...enough said.

for those that are interested!

www.20q.net

and!

www.movies.20q.net  (for movies and actors)

A much better system then the home version, because it is the original!

You think of an object and the A.I. will try to figure-out what you are thinking by asking simple questions. The object you think of should be something that most people would know about, but, never a specific person, place or thing. "A cat" is a good object, but "Pepper," my cat, would be a bad choice. You may answer Unknown to any question, especially if you do not understand the question or do not know the answer.

WE START BLOCKING ON MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 01:22:28 AM »

There are also  Music, people, sports, and TV versions of 20 questions and you can find them off the main site
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 01:22:39 AM »

Not in Kansas
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 01:24:12 AM »

Nor Phoenix
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 01:25:56 AM »

A third look
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 02:23:05 AM »

Lovely pictures Tom!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 02:25:42 AM »

Suffering from a case of insomnia so I thought I would pop in one of two DVDs an Indian freind loaned me and I was not disappointed.

I just finished watching Monsoon Wedding. Excellent movie with many layers. I greatly enjoyed this film with its smart writing, cinematography and fleshed out characters. I also enjoyed this film with is different layers and social commentary. IT is one of those films that seems to cross the language barriers as it offers commentaries to feelings that people have in all cultures.

I was puzzled by one thing by the character of Alice and her rosary. I wondered if it was paying notice to the fact some Indians are Christians.  Pretty actress!

It is a Mira Nair film that was released in 2001.

Have you seen Monsoon Wedding yet MBarnum?

I hope to watch Bride and Prejudice yet.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 02:31:12 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 03:23:48 AM »

DR Laura...you don't change the clocks today in Arizona? How can that be? That's downright UNAMERICAN!

Greg just drove home through Indiana and said it was the same there, too. So they had to keep readjusting the time in their minds as they drove through IN. What is the world coming to? Can't we all get along? Who do they think they are, NEPAL?  

Nepal is 5 hours 45 minutes ahead of GMT and 15 minutes ahead of Indian standard time. Is this their way of getting their 15 minutes of fame?  
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 03:27:11 AM »

The time change apparently makes no difference to my wake-up cat, who still felt the need to get me up at the same time, no matter what the clock said. And on a Sunday, too. Evil kitty!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 04:13:04 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've had a lovely Saturday, and I hope to have a wonderful Sunday.  I'm sipping coffee, listening to Poulenc's "Gloria," and pondering what I have to accomplish between now and Tuesday morning when I head back to Ohio.

I've a trek to Toyland this morning, a few things to do on "The Brain," and if after all that I have any energy left, I may try to set up my new non-regional DVD player.  This could be scary, since I can transpose music to any key but I cannot read an electronics assembly brochure.  I may need the assistance of DRs MBarnum, Matt H, or Rodzinski, who helped me out the last time I ended with everything connected and nothing working.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 05:28:40 AM »

According to the paper here STUDIO 60 won't be on this week (not on tonight here or tomorrow on NBC). I think NBC is showing FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS to see if they can get more viewers.

Also has anyone seen previews for a new show about a wedding day (the day lasts the whole season). It has Marla S (formerly from the PRACTICE). I think it starts in a week, on tuesdays between DANCING WITH THE STARS and BOSTON LEGAL. I think the timeslot is a great one. And i think it looks fun (although probably more for women).

FJL

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 05:55:16 AM »

Re word of the day - From Anthony MInghella's speech accepting his Oscar for THE ENGLISH PATIENT:  "Thanks to all my family who have put up with me being away so long. Thanks to my wife who has taught me the meaning of uxoriousness."

Which had us here watching the Oscars saying:  I wish she'd teach us the meaning of that word.  What the heck does it mean?

And now here it is the word of the day twice on HHW!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 05:55:50 AM by FJL »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 05:59:00 AM »

DR Laura...you don't change the clocks today in Arizona? How can that be? That's downright UNAMERICAN

We have quite enough sun during the summertime when it is 116F. We don't need to save any!!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Edisaurus

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 06:20:50 AM »

We have quite enough sun during the summertime when it is 116F. We don't need to save any!!!

LOL! Now *that* makes perfect sense!

But...what about Indiana???

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 06:38:47 AM »

It is one hour later than the clock says.  

DRGEORGE - I enjoyed the PLAID clips.  There are certainly some less than spectacular casts of the show on YOUTUBE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 06:40:41 AM »

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III - passed on the first two....so no chance I will watch the III.

RE: Tammy Marihugh.  Mr Robert Stack wrote in his autobiography that he was furious as Tammy's parents for allowing her to do some of the things she did in the movie, and not using a stunt double.  In fact a couple of times, Stack and Mr Marihugh almost got into a fist fight...  Marihugh WAS terrifed.  Maybe that is why she is a Vegas stripper today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 06:42:06 AM »

Tonight for those who may be interested:

TCM 8 PM EST - the original documentary GREY GARDENS introduced by Robert Osborne and the two ladies who star in the Broadway musical version.  

If I get home in time from the annual PCPH Board Meeting and Gripe Fest, I will watch it....even missing..... *gasp*  THE AMAZING RACE.....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 06:54:34 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful day: cloudless blue skies and pleasantly mild temperatures. Couldn't be better.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 06:57:05 AM »

For those who are interested in such things, the 1975 documentary of Grey Gardens is on TCM tonight at 7:00pm central time (adjust accordingly).  I saw it before seeing the musical and I was very glad I did.  The story of the Beales is really quite fascinating to me.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2006, 06:57:15 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  DH Richard and I will leave in about an hour to pick up our DS at the University of Cincinnati for a 1pm (isn't that early?) matinee of Spamalot at the Aronoff Center.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2006, 06:58:12 AM »

I really liked the first (Brian dePalma-directed) MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and really disliked the second (John Woo-directed) one, so I'm curious about the third one.

In the second one, the John Woo action scenes, so over the top but filmed so often in slow motion, were excruciating to sit through, and also in the second one, it seemed like every few minutes, someone was pulling off a rubber mask of someone else's face intent on fooling the other person. Ridiculous.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2006, 07:00:14 AM »

Yes, I saw that GREY GARDENS is coming on tonight as someting of an assist for the Broadway opening of the musical version. I will record it to watch at some point this week. I bought the cast CD of the show, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Cillaliz

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 07:00:14 AM »

I love the fall time change. I've been up since 5:00AM, made pancakes, read 2 Sunday papers, answered some email and now am getting ready to go out and start up the leaf blower. I figure after 9:00 AM it should be ok. The house next door is empty and that's the side I'll be working on.  

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2006, 07:02:03 AM »

Thanks for the Niagra Falls pics, DR Tom. Brought back wonderful memories of the time we visited there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up