Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING FOR LOVE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES  (Read 68517 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:LOOKING FOR LOVE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2006, 09:42:29 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]PAGE FOUR "AND ONE FOR MAHLER" DANCE!![/move]

(Speaking of COMPANY) ;)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:44:16 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2006, 09:43:09 AM »

JRand - there is that line "Your final return will not diminish" from SEESAW (It's not where you start, it's where you finish, etc.)

Close....close....   ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2006, 09:44:35 AM »

Jayne and Mamie.....wonder what W I D E S C R E E N process it was filmed in?

Just daintly lasses compared to Marie Wilson (My Friend, Irma)

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2006, 09:46:45 AM »

It replaced the shirt, DR RLP....  So it is NOT eligible for a Tony Award.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2006, 09:47:22 AM »

Just daintly lasses compared to Marie Wilson (My Friend, Irma)

der Brucer

Marie's character as a dim bulb made Gracie Allen look like Albert Einstein.  8)

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2006, 09:48:25 AM »

Welcome to HHW, singingnymph!  I now must leave for work.

Have a good day, all!

(Of course, I'll log back in once I get to work, so I really won't be gone for very long. ::))
Thanks again!
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2006, 09:48:32 AM »

The man from the electricity company came by and said he had to reset the meter.  All lights went off.  All lights came back on.  All electronics were reset.  All lights went off again.  All lights came back on.  All electronics are now flashing.  That is all....

Nice pictures, DR derBRUCER.  Yes summer has gone.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2006, 09:49:28 AM »

I hope this new COMPANY, of the same ilk and director, dies a grisly death, the band goes back in the pit, and actors relate to each other again.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2006, 09:49:55 AM »

It really hit me today.  I want December 8th to be here already.  I can't believe we have to wait a whole 'nother month for the Brain trip.

Me too, I am so looking forward to the trip, seeing BK and the HHWers, and seeing BKs play!

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2006, 09:51:45 AM »

Haw! Good one. The other Hillbilly movie was HILLBILLIES IN A HAUNTED HOUSE, which I have never seen.

That has Joi Lansing at her buxom best...and she sings!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2006, 09:55:07 AM »

Elmore, I took a pass on seeing that version of COMPANY at the Cincinnati Playhouse-In-The-Park.  Doing this idea once...as was done with SWEENEY...I found innovative and original, a different way of staging (I still prefer the original all-out production).  But doing this idea over and over again mystifies me.  I can't see the reasoning behind it.  This same director did a version of Mack & Mabel the same way over in England (with David Soul playing Mack, no less...I don't know if he played any instruments) that I don't believe was received with the same effusiveness as the director's Sweeney production.  It seems to me a director must have other tricks up his sleeve than the same one over and over again.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2006, 09:57:54 AM »

And of those three blonde bombshells, Joi is my favorite! She was quite good in HOT CARS (1956) and I don't think there was a single TV show in the 50s and 60s that she did not appear on.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2006, 10:06:48 AM »

Joi was a semi regular on LOVE THAT BOB.....acting interested in middle aged playboy Bob Cummings showed that Joi could act.

And yes she was terrific in HOT CARS!!

How are your EBAY sales going, DRMBARNUM?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2006, 10:10:49 AM »

David Soul had his one number one hit here, but in England, his music career was hugely more popular. I was reminded of this when I saw him in a cameo on the British comedy show LITTLE BRITAIN the other night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2006, 10:22:26 AM »

If there are any Eloise fans out there (the Kay Thompson character of Eloise, that is), you might be interested to know that both TV movies -- "Eloise at the Plaza" and "Eloise at Christmastime" -- won an Emmy for best scoring.

I happen to think the composer, Bruce Broughton, is one of the most gifted men writing music for films and TV today.  He may even be THE most gifted of his generation.

That said, a 2-CD limited edition recording of both scores was announced yesterday.  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2006, 10:27:01 AM »

I know that DR Charles Pogue liked Doyle's SWEENEY TODD in London, but I loathed it; it should have been in an NYU basement "experimental" theatre production for $20, not $100 on Broadway.  Watching actors lumber around, instrument in hand, trying to act, trying to play, did nothing to me in telling the story, showing character relationships, or revealing anything more than gimmickry.  I was impressed at how well they memorized and played the score, how well they sang and navigated too tiny a space on a Broadway stage as they lugged around a cello, a trumpet, an accordion, or a tuba, for all of Patti Lupone's 10-20 notes she played.

I hope this new COMPANY, of the same ilk and director, dies a grisly death, the band goes back in the pit, and actors relate to each other again.

So...it's more the actor-as-musician thats an issue here as opposed to such things as the more concert-like, but dramatically presented, "Candide" or "Sweeney Todd" done with full orchestra?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:27:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2006, 10:38:40 AM »

I like to see a FULL production.  When I listen to the LP/CD - I never imagine just a few people on NO set singing the songs.

I know it's expensive and I know sometimes a SMALL production of a favorite show is all we'll get.  But I think "better than nothing" is small praise and lowered expectations doesn't always translate into enjoyment...for me, that is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2006, 10:40:29 AM »

So...it's more the actor-as-musician thats an issue here as opposed to such things as the more concert-like, but dramatically presented, "Candide" or "Sweeney Todd" done with full orchestra?
There are two different issues here:
1.  The Doyle concept means you have to find actors who sort of act and sing and sort of play an instrument - luckily the musicianship in SWEENEY was high - but both sides of the coin get short shrift: the Anthony in SWEENEY played a beautiful cello, but he was one of the strangest looking romantic leads I've ever seen.  Would he have been cast if Doyle just needed a singing juvenile? Probably not.  In the Broadway SWEENEY, the opening scene had anthony, Sweeney, and the Beggar woman in various spots of the stage, not relating to each other in the least: you'd never know she was propositioning Anthony if you didn't already know the show.  None of the staging made sense: when Sweeney's chair arrived in Act Two, Michael Cerveris carried around a small white coffin.

2.  I'm tired of "Concert" stagings out of control.  I would like to see shows again with an orchestra - not a 14-piece band - in the pit, a bit of scenery, and costumes.  I won' even go into the aesthetic reasons I think the Lupone-Chenowith CANDIDE is a piece of crap.  Suffice to say, Bernstain wouldn't have liked it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2006, 10:52:18 AM »

And now back to Christmas!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2006, 10:57:45 AM »

Welcome Singingnymph!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2006, 11:06:27 AM »

David Soul had his one number one hit here, but in England, his music career was hugely more popular. I was reminded of this when I saw him in a cameo on the British comedy show LITTLE BRITAIN the other night.

Really?? I never knew.. What song did he have here that was big?

I knew DAvid Hasselhoff and Audrey Landers were big in Europe especially France and Germany...

David even made an appearance on Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara was initially more popular in Europe than the US. Go figure. It was highly rated in France for a number of years.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:10:14 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2006, 11:09:20 AM »

Welcome to new DR SINGING NYMPH!

Nice Thanksgiving avatar, DR DAKOTACELT.

Thank you Jrand.. .I made it..

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2006, 11:20:49 AM »

DR DAKOTA CELT - David Soul had a top ten single (and subsequent album) title "Don't Give Up On Us, Baby" which was a nice little tune.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2006, 11:21:40 AM »

David Soul's No. 1 hit here was "Don't Give Up On Us".

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2006, 11:25:41 AM »

Here is Mr Soul singing said song....which was a Billboard #1 hit in 1977.   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8APrYU2Gs&mode=related&search=

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2006, 11:27:38 AM »

Ahhh...lunchtime is nearly here.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »

Damn...that's STILL a nice little song.

Mr Soul started his career as the Mystery Singer in a Burlap Bag on the old Merv Griffin show....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »

DR DAKOTA CELT - David Soul had a top ten single (and subsequent album) title "Don't Give Up On Us, Baby" which was a nice little tune.

David Soul also starred in the British stage version of Jerry Springer:  The Opera (I have the region 2 DVD).  I bought it a few months ago, but I still haven't watched it. ::) I listened to the CD (which David is not on) earlier this week and the score is quite good (in my humble opinion...IMHO in Internet lingo).  It's interesting, though, that the title character in JP:TO does absolutely no singing at all.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:32:10 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2006, 11:31:02 AM »

Thanks for the clarificiations (and clarity) DR Elmore.

I know your standards are high, and given that you live in NYC, there's an awful lot to live up to for most "presentations."  Sadly, as is true in the movie business, those making the decisions and doing the conceptions aren't necessarily gifted enough to be playing with the professionals.

I love the singing in the Lupone-Chenoweth "Candide"...primarily, though, the singing of Chenoweth and the tenor who sings "Candide."

And I find the "Make Our Garden Grow" number thrilling/chilling to hear.  

But I can see more finely tuned tastes deploring the ramshackledyness of it all.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »

Really?? I never knew.. What song did he have here that was big?

I knew DAvid Hasselhoff and Audrey Landers were big in Europe especially France and Germany...

He's big here, too....big-headed and big-haired (based on his appearances as a judge on "America's Got Talent").
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up