Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ  (Read 54207 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2006, 06:54:09 PM »

Work tomorrow...then a party to go to!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2006, 06:54:22 PM »

Health Vibes for Danise's Mom and Ginny's MIL
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2006, 07:17:35 PM »

Had a great session with the chiropractor.  Won't go back for a couple of weeks.

Did a little shopping at a favorite market and found dinner -- beer-battered chicken breasts and chicken gumbo soup!

Cluck.....cluck-cluck-cluck-cluck....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2006, 07:22:21 PM »

Pukka up, Winsocki
Pukka up

This rock is pukka, suckah!

Coke tried advertising with "It's the pukka thing", but it wasn't as catch as "it's the real thing."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2006, 07:23:47 PM »

If no one has told you this today,

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Save the Cheerleader... save the World![/move]

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2006, 07:27:24 PM »

Well, that is some camera!  I am still learning how to use my new Casio.  Silly me, there was a setting marked MF.  I thought it meant something about how the flash was set.  It turned out it was the focus!  

That's why I buy idiot cameras and take lots of shots -- one of them is bound to turn out.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2006, 07:54:35 PM »

And appreciated too DR George.   Not everyone would turn down an opportunity to bond with cannibals.

One week with Kiri Te Kanawa was enough for me!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2006, 07:58:09 PM »

I am officially unemployed as of today.  I have hated this job I have been miserable for the past several months and Vixdad fianlly said chuck it and look for something else... you can't look while you're working so just chuck and we'll manage....

So LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE VIBES will be greatly appreciated!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ EMPLOYMENT VIBES FOR DR VIXMOM ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2006, 08:01:14 PM »

This is the third time I have tried to post this:

DR Vixmom: I hope the perfect job comes your way soon! We have missed you around here.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2006, 08:01:16 PM »

I have just returned from Douglas Carter Beane's new comedy THE LITTLE DOG LAUGHED, which is quite funny and very cynical, and I hope it runs for a long time.  Julie White gives a wonderful over-the-top performance, and I hope she's given a nod in the Tony nominations.

And now to bed.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »

LOS ANGELES (Nov. 10) - Jack Palance, the craggy-faced menace in "Shane," "Sudden Fear" and other films who turned to comedy at 70 with his Oscar-winning self-parody in "City Slickers," died Friday.
Palance died of natural causes at his home in Montecito, Calif., surrounded by family, said spokesman Dick Guttman. He was 85, according to Associated Press records, but his family gave his age as 87

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:38:46 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2006, 08:49:50 PM »

DR Vixmom, I hope you can find a job you can enjoy. If you have to work, it's best if you enjoy what you're doing. When you don't, it really makes life not worth living.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2006, 08:51:32 PM »

Sorry to read about Jack Palance. GOod actor, very effective in the right role.

But I don't think he deserved the Oscar for CITY SLICKERS. He certainly was a popular choice, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2006, 08:52:42 PM »

I began my evening by watching and enjoying all over again SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. I didn't listen to commentaries or anything. Just put in that dazzling Ultra-Resolution DVD of it and was in sheer heaven.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2006, 08:53:48 PM »

Next, I watched the first half hour of VANISHED. I had the VCR pick it up since I was expecting company to watch a movie, and I will finish VANISHED tomorrow along with LAW & ORDER which I alsorecorded while we watched a movie here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »

Just spent several hundred on the DDD sale, including the new Brando box set.  Is MOTB the roadshow version, with the "prequel" (20 years after) and sequel, or the usual edited version?

It's the roadshow version, but no prologue or epilogue as they were never part of the film as shown during its roadshow engagements (they were removed prior to the film's opening, hence have never been part of any print - they were shown for the first and only time when the film had its original network premiere).

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2006, 09:01:24 PM »

The movie we watched was MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III. Well, it certainly poured on the action sequences, and they were all pretty spectacular. Very James Bondian/ALIAS level stuff, but I think of MI as something that should be more intellectual action (like the break-in of CIA headquarters in the first one) rather than the blow-up/crash and bang stuff that every other action movie has. So, that was a bit disappointing.

But, with ALIAS' J.J. Abrams at the helm, I bought into the world and tried to enjoy it, and I did until we got to the final sequence, and then all the careful set-ups just fell apart with a clock ticking and Ethan explaining to his wife how to fire a gun, and rigging up a defib device while telling his wife he loved her. Nope, lost me there.

The transfer was a HUGE disappointment. The color looked very plugged up to me, too much contrast, and often soft (was Cruise trying to hide his age a bit?). And during the Vatican sequences there was so much moire on the walls and steps that I knew the film had been transferred at a very low bit rate.

So, I'd rank this one ahead of MI: II but in my mind not as good as the first one. The transfer on DVD was by far the worst of the three. (I read some reviews of the HD-DVD version, and they weren't at all positive either.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2006, 09:03:44 PM »

Had a very interesting and good assembling the pieces rehearsal today - I think everyone started to get a sense of the shape and structure of the show, and its look, and I went much more smoothly than I might have imagined.  And now we've got four weeks to hone and perfect it.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2006, 09:05:09 PM »

We also watched the "Making of" documentary. Pretty good overview of the entire filmmaking design with key people on the production team commenting on the various locales. Everyone, of course, praised Tom Cruise to the skies. Of course, as the producer, he WAS their boss, so I guess they HAD to (and he probably was very good and very professional; it's just that the gushing was very extreme in this documentary.)

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2006, 09:06:49 PM »

Perhaps being spoiled by seeing the superlative transfers of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN and earlier today THE KING AND I made MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III look weak in comparison.

But why shouldn't a movie that's only six months old look better than movies that are 50 years old? And MI: III didn't.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2006, 09:08:21 PM »

TOmorrow, I'll probably get to OVER THE HEDGE for something much lighter. And I have three hours of TV programs from the past two nights as well.

FJL

« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2006, 09:10:39 PM »

"If you have to work, it's best if you enjoy what you're doing. When you don't, it really makes life not worth living."

This is an interesting thought. So many people have jobs they hate, and need those jobs to support themselves.  But they get through their 9 to 5 or whichever hours, and then go home to their life outside of that. But the thought that HAVING to do something you don't like doing 40 hours a week makes life not worth living is a fascinating concept to me.  

I certainly remember tax seasons where I had to work a minimum of 55 hours a week and feeling like life was just unbearable.  I like the work in reasonable doses, though, but at 55 hours a week of the same thing during tax seasons, i approached the day with dread.  But at least i knew that tax seasons had endings and reprieves.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:18:46 PM by FJL »

Michael

« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2006, 09:14:45 PM »

Just read Jack Palance has passed away.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2006, 09:28:11 PM »

Off to bed now.

Good night!

MBarnum

« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2006, 09:29:27 PM »

Many "finding a new job" vibes to DR Vixmom! I hope you get one that allows you to post during the day...you don't realize how much you are missed here!  ;D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2006, 09:29:29 PM »

Mrs. Henderson Presents, is that the sequel to Harry and the Hendersons?

MBarnum

« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2006, 09:30:14 PM »

Vibes as well to Danise and mom, and to Ginny's MiL! Hope all is well with everyone very soon!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2006, 09:35:12 PM »

Vibes to Vixmom. I think Vixdad made the right call. Take your time and find an environment that suits you.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2006, 09:36:39 PM »

Question for Tomovoz. Did British band Ultravox make any headway in Australia? Here they are virtually unknown.

MBarnum

« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2006, 09:42:10 PM »

Just finished watching GODZILLA VS MOTHRA in it's original Japanese language version...you know these Japanese monster movies seem so much better when they are in their original language...and I had forgotten what a crush I had on Hiroshi Koizumi, who plays Prof. Murata in the film...he is just such a hottie!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up