Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ  (Read 54002 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2006, 09:43:04 PM »

Pogue's Underpants will be off display after Sunday.  Folks have today or tomorrow to take a gander.

Sad news:  Jack Palance has passed away at 87.

Cillaliz

« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2006, 09:44:20 PM »

MANY VIBES TO VIXMOM!!!!

You sounded so unhappy, I am glad to hear you are looking to move on to greener pastures. Hope you find something that you enjoy

MBarnum

« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2006, 09:45:16 PM »

Wow, ULTRAVOX. Their album QUARTET is among my favorites albums of the 80s! And "Reap the Wild Wind" one of my favorite songs of all time!

MBarnum

« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »

Ultravox makes me think of two other bands that I loved, ICICLE WORKS and CHINA CRISIS!

Some years back I had a boyfriend who was British and he also loved CHINA CRISIS...up to that point he was the only person I had ever met who had heard of the group.

Cillaliz

« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »

I just stopped in to catch up and then I'm off to sleep. I got a lot of things done today on my Veteran's Day off and have many more to do tomorrow.  I stocked up at the grocery store, so I will be cooking both tomorrow and Sunday. I'm really looking forward to that.

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2006, 09:47:31 PM »

Vibes to Danise's Mom and Ginny's MiL.

Night!

MBarnum

« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2006, 09:49:19 PM »

page 8 British Invasion second wave dance.

Tomovoz

« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2006, 09:52:24 PM »

Ultravox had a big big hit here with "Vienna". They were never able to make to big again.. Midge Ure had a solo hit here too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2006, 09:53:05 PM »

It is now time for my Bollywood movie of the weekend KYUN HO GAYA NA (2005). I think it is a romantic comedy with music. But I am not sure....except for the music part.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2006, 09:56:40 PM »

FJL - glad you're enjoying the stories and hope you will say more about them.

I just finished deciding on what bits to read tomorrow - I'll be doing sections of I'll See You In My Dreams, How To Write A Dirty Book, and Adventures With My Father.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2006, 09:58:54 PM »

"Reap the Wild Wind" did get some airplay here. MBarnum, we may have discussed this before, but YOU are the only person I know who knows of China Crisis. I have everything they ever did. As for Icicle Works, well, I have that first album with "Whisper To A Scream."

Two Ultravox factoids: They opened LIVE AID, as the first act in London.
And Midge Ure co-authored the "Do They Know It's Christmas" song.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2006, 10:00:21 PM »

Tonight I attended an event at the venerable Lamb's Club, and I met Joyce Randolph, aka Trixie from the Honeymooners.

Tomovoz

« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2006, 10:13:36 PM »

I remember "Working With Fire and Steel" but I was not really into 80's pop music.

Midge Ure had a top 40 hit here with "If I Was".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

BK - I just re-read "Opening Out of Town" - POSSIBLE VERY MILD SPOILER AHEAD

I was just curious as to how it would hold up knowing the big twist and socko punch line.  And it just felt even more impressive on the second go-round.  As I believe has been discussed on here, it's a natural for the stage, but then I thought so is "Your Worst Nightmare" which might work well on either stage or screen.  And both have the unifying concept of traveling away from home - maybe there's a theatrical evening in two (or maybe three) stories under an umbrella like Out of Town or Hitting The Road or Away from Home.  I'm probably saying  things you've already thought of, but my mind is abubble (is that a word?) with the theatrical possibilities.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2006, 10:34:48 PM »

singingnyph, what part of California do currently live in?  Is this where you grew up?
Yup, Cali girl, born & bred. Lived in the Fresburg (Fresno) area most of my life, except for a 3 year stint in the SFV when I went to CSUN.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

FJL

« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2006, 10:37:04 PM »

SOCKO AND VAN'S EDDIE - that's the title of soemthing to do with Van Johnson and a hit show

Or maybe not

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2006, 10:43:18 PM »

I just got home from seeing Borat.

Tacky & tasteless, but pretty funny. Not $9.50 worth of funny, but Dad was paying, so it's all good. Spending time with Dad was worth it & one of my cousins was with us too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:43:52 PM by singingnymph »

FJL

« Reply #227 on: November 10, 2006, 10:45:19 PM »

Speaking of theatrical possibilities, and in this case unfortunately unrealized promise of a very sweet, affecting basic story, we saw MIMI LE DUCK tonight, thoroughly watchable and with a second act that surprisingly comes together after a dramatrugically diffuse and unfocused first act.  Eartha Kitt is a joy to behold, though.  The theatre is not freindly to autograph seekers, and different people in the theater give different stories as to where the stage door is; otherwise, the fans would have been mobbing to see Eartha Kitt and instead there was a mere small gaggle waiting.  But maybe Ms. Kitt prefers it that way???  (We were waiting to see a friend who is in the show.)

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #228 on: November 10, 2006, 10:46:09 PM »

Bonnie Tyler's "It's A Heartache," is my current anthem when it comes to relationships.

FJL

« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2006, 10:53:22 PM »

"Pogue's Underpants will be off display after Sunday.  Folks have today or tomorrow to take a gander."

Perhaps, but the more cultured among us have saved the classic Shakepeare photo to our hard drives.    

FJL

« Reply #230 on: November 10, 2006, 10:54:05 PM »

Spoo, that reads more dirty than it was intended.  

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2006, 10:55:18 PM »

"Reap the Wild Wind" did get some airplay here. MBarnum, we may have discussed this before, but YOU are the only person I know who knows of China Crisis.

Count me, too! I know all these bands. I don't know when you lived in Georgia, but I was the writer/producer and then program director for the the Video Music Channel from its Atlanta inception in 1982 through 1985, when labels decided to start charging for videos. There went our free programming! We were pre-MTV as a satellite cable service, then when I joined, we broadcast live on 4 Atlanta cable networks and then moved to UHF broacast at channel 69.

We interviewed hundreds of bands, and I always got free concert tickets, albums (this was before CD's!) and promo stuff. It was one of the most fun jobs I ever had, (the pay was terrible, of course) until I was able to start picking and choosing my editing jobs and getting a group of clients I liked.

DR Vixmom---life's too short to be doing a job you hate. Good for you for taking charge of your life, and how lucky you are to have a partner who supports that!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #232 on: November 10, 2006, 10:57:51 PM »

SOCKO AND VAN'S EDDIE - that's the title of soemthing to do with Van Johnson and a hit show
Or maybe not

Socko sounds like a good name for a sock puppet, too.

Hmmmm...Sacco and Vanzetti as sock puppets---that's got me thinking!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2006, 12:05:48 AM »

FJL, have you read all the stories yet, or just the ones you've mentioned?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up