Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAIDS  (Read 20740 times)

Emily

Re:THE MAIDS
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2003, 09:38:03 PM »

Dear reader Emily just called me a "guilt-tripping self-marketer" and then she BOLTED from the chat room.  BOLTED, do you hear me?  And why?  All because I relentlessly tell her she should read Benjamin Kritzer.  But, and it's a big BUTT: What care I if she reads it?  I care not.  Those who have read it are enough for they have enjoyed it.

So, no more "guilt-tripping self-marketing" dear Emily.  What care I?  I care not.

BK - you should know that I said the "guilt-tripping self marketing" in jest...

I will buy Benjamin Kritzer, etc. eventually.  I am sure it is a delightful read.  Right now I am going to have financial problems in buying books for school.  Unless Benjamin Kritzer gets assigned by a political science prof next term, I will have to put off getting it until I can actually afford to do so.  This upcoming trip is putting me closer to the limit of my bank account than I can possibly manage.

No offence was meant.  My computer has been acting up and chat was screwing with my display - which is its wont after more than 10-15 minutes in the room.  

If it's any consolation I like to consider myself a guilt-trip enducing self marketer as well ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2003, 09:39:39 PM »

Matt H.,

I think I have to give the edge to I, CLAUDIUS as the best mini-series ever though both Liz R and Hank 8 are damned fine!  Also Nickolas Nickleby the mini-series of the 8-hour stage play is also right up there!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2003, 10:14:37 PM »

I vote for  I,CLAUDIUS... and for bed. Tired, tired. Good-night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2003, 10:22:57 PM »

No offense was taken, dear reader Emily.  I do think Benjamin Kritzer would be a fine textbook for politacal science and also for home economics.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2003, 10:28:46 PM »

Good evening.

Great show tonight - and we had a wonderful audience.  Period.  And the fact that it was a Monday night made it even more impressive.  *And from the looks of the collection "helmets", we may very well hit the $20,000 mark with our BC/EFA and Food & Friends fundraising drive after tonight's take!  And we still have one more night of "passing the helmet" left!

After tonight's show, we had our Secret Santa party.  And it was Pot Luck!  And, boy, was there a LOT of food.  And good food it was too!  Shrimp, chicken wings, spaghetti and meat sauce(!), hot nacho cheese dip, hot artichoke and cheese dip, pumpkin-chocolate cheesecake, brownie pie, apple pie, etc., etc., etc...  There was so much food there that there were leftovers!  Leftovers after a theatre party?!?!?!

I gave my final Secret Santa gift, and got my final Secret Santa gift - which was a nice bag of assorted chocolates, as well as some really nice hand cream, "Glove Potion".  As did the others who participated.  It took a few tries before I guessed who my Secret Santa was, and I went ahead and revealed myself to my "giftee" - I had the stage manager - and, boy, was it hard trying to find a time when she was NOT in the theatre so I could plant her gifts.  Some people really went all out, and some people were really, really sneaky.  Unfortunately, one person did not get gifted - one of the boys who plays Young Tom.  After some deduction, we figured out who his Secret Santa was/is, and we'll all be bringing him - the young man - a gift tomorrow.  *However, we also realized that his Secret Santa was most likely waiting to give his gift tomorrow, since the giftless-one was not scheduled to go on tonight.  So...  All in all, all will be bettered.

I had a very nice time - and didn't stuff myself too much.  Just one more show tomorrow night, and then it's our "Christmas Break".   :D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2003, 10:37:21 PM »

Today I received a lovely box of COOKIES from dear reader Jose.  I have already eaten two of said cookies and they are thoroughly delicious.  I shall be serving them at my Christmas Eve Do and I shall be bringing a few to a select group of my coworkers tomorrow.

Anyone for two hundred posts?

Tomovoz

« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2003, 11:06:10 PM »

It has been December 23 for 18 hours here and won't be by the time I get home form visiting friends this evening. The significance of that amazing information is I would like to wish the birthday boys Mr Orr and Mr Brockman (Jnr) the very happiest of birthdays form the far side of the world. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you both.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2003, 11:07:08 PM »

What timing, DR MusicGuy...

On the drive in tonight, I started thinking about just how good a year it's been for me.  Work has been good.  Social life has been good.  I got to meet new people, make some new friends.  I got closer to some old friends. I went to some new places.  I did some things I never dreamed I'd be able to do.  And I did some things that I never even dreamed of doing.  My finances are actually in "my favor" for more than just a week at a time - if you know what I mean (I'm not even sure I know what I mean by that turn of phrase).  I've been able to spend more time with my nieces and nephew.  Heck, I got to be a Scarlette, and do a vocal arrangement for the Jeepers Creepers CD.  All my recent gigs and projects have been things I've more or less chosen to do, or at least wanted to work on... And it's been nice having this "living room" to come home to throughout the day... and to be welcomed back to after being away for a while.

In short, I am happy right now.  I actually got a little misty-eyed just thinking about it.  -And it was a beautiful night here in the DC area - not too cold, and the air was very nice and clear.

Life is not perfect.  There are still some little wrinkles that need to be ironed out.  But that's what makes it so interesting.  And that's what makes the good so much better.

Life is good.  I'm happy.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2003, 11:08:44 PM »

Ooohh... I was about to ask if the cookies made it to you today!  Yeah!  *For a real nice treat, just give them a few seconds in the microwave..."nummy" as I like to say. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2003, 11:17:00 PM »

Best mini series: "Jewel In The Crown" and "The Singing Detective". Colin would probably cast votes for "Brideshead Revisited" and "To Serve Them All My Days".  "A Dance To the Music Of Time" was also excellent as were "Frozen Lazerus", and the more recently aired "Cambridge Spies". "A Perfect Spy" is also right up there too. Just realised they are all from the UK!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2003, 11:18:21 PM »

And here I thought that was Kerry's job!

Forgive me, I'm channeling my inner TCB :D
Like father like son!
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2003, 11:59:20 PM »

Oh, what the hell?!!?... I've never done this before, and it very well could be fun, lots of fun...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2003, 12:00:37 AM »

Not only will this help bring today's Count up to 200, but it will also aid in my own attainment of Sr. Member Status... and that not-so-elusive HHW God.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2003, 12:03:15 AM »

So, who thinks gift bags are for lazy people? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2003, 12:04:41 AM »

BK - Did the cookies make it one piece?  Or at least in the 36 pieces they were sent?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2003, 12:06:35 AM »

Yes COOKIES made it safe and sound and I will be eating many of them on the 'morrow.

We are so close

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2003, 12:06:49 AM »

And yet so far

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2003, 12:07:16 AM »

And yet I feel I cannot let this opportune opportunity slip by us

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2003, 12:07:46 AM »

And so, with just a little effort

Tomovoz

« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2003, 12:07:47 AM »

I think you left the run too late Jose and BK.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 12:09:01 AM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2003, 12:08:07 AM »

And a smidgeon of pluck

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2003, 12:08:15 AM »

Maybe not!
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2003, 12:08:24 AM »

I'm thinkin' we might just reach

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2003, 12:08:55 AM »