Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEIRD DAY  (Read 30299 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE WEIRD DAY
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »

A friend just sent me this e-mail:

MAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY, MAY YOUR TURKEY BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A LUMP,
MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS,
MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER
STAY OFF OF YOUR THIGHS.
Happy Thanksgiving!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:43:06 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2006, 03:14:06 PM »

A friend just sent me this e-mail:

MAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY, MAY YOUR TURKEY BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A LUMP,
MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS,
MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER
STAY OFF OF YOUR THIGHS.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Or more to the point:

MAY YOUR CO-STARS BE TASTY, MAY YOUR DIRECTOR BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR MINERS 'N COWMEN HAVE NARY A LUMP,
MAY YOUR GAMS BE DELICIOUS,
MAY YOUR BRAINS TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR CANNIBAL DINNER
BE A JOYOUS SURPRISE!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 03:16:29 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2006, 03:25:56 PM »

Tomovoz - Profuse thanks for the Bunbury book and calendar.  

It will be very instructive, especially if that Australian production ends up happening.

George

« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2006, 03:27:25 PM »

Or more to the point:

MAY YOUR CO-STARS BE TASTY, MAY YOUR DIRECTOR BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR MINERS 'N COWMEN HAVE NARY A LUMP,
MAY YOUR GAMS BE DELICIOUS,
MAY YOUR BRAINS TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR CANNIBAL DINNER
BE A JOYOUS SURPRISE!

der Brucer

:-*  :-*  :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2006, 03:39:32 PM »

A quick visit to the various floors of my agency reveal the sad tale of desertion.

That's right.  People have simply put down their work and skulked off into the darkness.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »

I'm getting antsy to get away, myself.  I will stick it out, though, till the bitter end of 4:30 p.m., or thereafter.

Hopefully, the roads will be lightly travelled.

I am looking forward to assembling my stew components and getting the cooking going.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »

Tomovoz - Profuse thanks for the Bunbury book and calendar.  

It will be very instructive, especially if that Australian production ends up happening.

Oh!  Do they Bunbury down under?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »

Anyone remember what movie was all the "buzz" this time last year?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2006, 03:42:36 PM »

Is any movie currently being "buzzed" about?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2006, 03:42:53 PM »

Awards-wise, I mean.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2006, 03:43:11 PM »

COPS SHOOT, KILL 92-YEAR-OLD WOMAN AFTER SHE OPENS FIRE ON THEM
ATLANTA — A police official said narcotics officers were justified in returning fire on a 92-year-old woman they shot to death after she shot them as they tried to serve a warrant at her house.

Assistant Chief Alan Dreher said the officers had a legal warrant and "knocked and announced" before they forced open the door. He said they were justified in shooting once they were fired upon.

As the plainclothes Atlanta police officers approached the house about 7 p.m., a woman inside started shooting, striking each of them, said Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman.

One was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder. The officers were taken to a hospital for treatment, and all three were conscious and alert, police said.

Sarah Dozier, identified as a niece of the woman, told WAGA-TV that there were never any drugs at the house.
"My aunt was in good health. I'm sure she panicked when they kicked that door down," Dozier said. "There was no reason they had to go in there and shoot her down like a dog."

Rev. Markel Hutchins, a civil rights leader, said Johnston's family deserves an apology.

"Of the police brutality cases we've had, this is the most egregious because of the woman's age," Hutchins said.

Apology, my ass >:(  She opened fire, and reaped the expected result. I hope the cops sue her estate for damages! Does the good Rev think the police should check birth certificates before returning fire? Does Granny get a free shot for every decade over age 60

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2006, 03:45:59 PM »

COPS SHOOT, KILL 92-YEAR-OLD WOMAN AFTER SHE OPENS FIRE ON THEMApology, my ass >:(  She opened fire, and reaped the expected result. I hope the cops sue her estate for damages! Does the good Rev think the police should check birth certificates before returning fire? Does Granny get a free shot for every decade over age 60

der Brucer

Concur.  It's a sad, tragic tale.  Fact is, though, "Granny" wasn't all there if she couldn't tell the difference between an intruder and the police.

Instead of a gun, maybe she should have invested in a hearing aid.

The police cannot ALWAYS be at fault in such cases.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2006, 04:02:21 PM »

OSCAR FRENZY
Breaking and Entering - The Weinstein Company
Dreamgirls - Dreamworks/Paramount
Flags of Our Fathers - Dreamworks/Warner Bros.
The Good Shepherd - Universal
United 93 - Universal

The favorite at this point has got to be Dreamgirls. The advance buzz has been terrific and a limited screening of select scenes reportedly drew raves. Furthermore, after a couple years of relatively depressing, issue-driven films, the Academy mgiht be ready to embrace a rousing, show-stopping musical. Closely behind Dreamgirls are Eastwood’s Flags of Our Fathers and De Niro’s CIA drama The Good Shepherd. Though skeptics doubt Eastwood can follow up Million Dollar Baby with a second Best Picture win, if anyone can do it, it’s the Clint. One question here is whether audiences are up for another war movie, especially given the state of current events.

Goya’s Ghosts, directed by Milos Forman and starring Javier Bardem and Natalie Portman, is probably next on the step ladder. One obstacle dogging this picture is whether or not it will be finished in time, being that it is still currently in production. Forman, as well, could be a little rusty being that he has not directed a film since Man on the Moon.

Two fillms that were once high on the Best Picture radar, but now sinking fast, are Scorsese’s The Departed and Steven Zaillian’s All the King’s Men remake. Early reviews of Marty’s gang thriller reveal it to be unfocused and in need of better editing. While this is typical for Scorsese films, this is never a good sign. All the King’s Men, meanwhile, suffers from the fact that the original already won a Best Picture. That, along with the film’s release date being pushed back twice do not bode well.

Speaking of also-rans, perhaps the biggest one is Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette, which got trashed at Cannes. We could have told you so. Something about Kristen Dunst as the French ‘heroine’ just didn’t seem right.

Two of the biggest question marks of the fall season are Mel Gibson’s Mayan epic Apocalypto and Emilio Estevez’s Bobby. While both certainly have the potential of being Best Picture material, they also run the risk of catering only to a select audience. With Apocalypto, the big question may be whether or not this is more of an adventure film or a historical epic. The fact that Passion of the Christ was passed over a few years back could possibly help Gibson with Academy voters.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2006, 04:11:45 PM »

And we also have:

OSCAR WATCH

Which includes (for anyone whocares ;)

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Blindsight
An Inconvenient Truth
Deliver Us from Evil
The Ground Truth
Iraq In Fragments
Jesus Camp
Shut Up & Sing
An Unreasonable Man
The War Tapes

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2006, 04:30:24 PM »

Come the morrow, someone will need this:

Troubleshooting Thanksgiving: The Turkey Is Still Frozen

Problem
It’s 10 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Dinner is at 2 p.m. And the turkey, which has been thawing for days in the refrigerator, still feels frozen solid.

Solution
Give the bird a cold bath. Water is a much better conductor of heat than air in the refrigerator, so this method works faster, says Robert L. Wolke, professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh and the author of What Einstein Told His Cook 2 (W.W. Norton, $26, www.amazon.com). Fill a large bucket or the kitchen sink with cool water and plunge the bird in, in the original wrapper, breast-side down.

If the turkey has been defrosting in the refrigerator for several days, a mere half hour may do the trick. If you need to defrost a fully frozen turkey on the double, allow half an hour per pound. The U.S. Department of Agriculture advises changing the water every 30 minutes or so. (Birds labeled “fresh” can be chilled to 26° F, which explains why such turkeys can unexpectedly turn out to be partially frozen. The USDA suggests that you buy a fresh turkey no more than 2 days before you roast it.) No matter how dire the situation, don’t thaw a turkey at room temperature.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:32:25 PM by DERBRUCER »

Tomovoz

« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »

A pleasure DR FJL.  We think of you everytime we encounter a nun or a habit.  (Not all the habits live in NZ).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2006, 04:32:38 PM »

This afternoon we went for a drive, and this is what we saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2006, 04:34:01 PM »

(Not all the habits live in NZ).

Seems someone picked up a nasty one from Fred :D

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2006, 04:35:36 PM »

This afternoon we went for a drive, and this is what we saw:

Best not let our friends from HHS catch you 8)

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2006, 04:45:02 PM »

Next year I hope to have everyone at our new house for T-Day and no more rushing around from house to house!

Next year we are all going to your house for Thanksgiving!!!  Oh boy, I can't wait.  I'll bring dessert!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Michael

« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2006, 04:57:05 PM »

"For Your Consideration" has awards buzz.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2006, 05:03:14 PM »

Another ask BK:

I have a paypal account, but I am having trouble linking up from your site to paypal. Also can I order multiple copies and get reduced postage rate?

Or

Can I pick them up when I am in LA to see the show?
Never stop dreaming.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2006, 05:08:24 PM »

Good evening Esteemed, inspired, rehearsed, and squeaky-clean BK --

I was sorry to hear about the cut foot incident with your new actress.  Bad set!  Bad set!!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2006, 05:10:43 PM »

And a very *** HAPPY THANKSGIVING WISH ***  to each and every lovely and fetching hainsie and kimlet on this, the most interesting Living Room on the planet.

and a special Thanksgiving toast to the Grande Mensch himself.

George

« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »

Well, it's time for me to leave.  I have to go shopping and then go to rehearsal.  A reviewer is coming to the show tonight! :o The paper is a local alternative monthly, and the only way to get some kind of announcement in before we close is for them to see it now...knowing that we're still rehearsing.  Anyway, the "review" will be in their December 7th issue, 10 days and two weekends before we close.  

So, later everyone! :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2006, 06:04:11 PM »

... to each and every lovely and fetching hainsie

A fetching hainsie:

der Brucer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2006, 06:52:25 PM »

I really hope I haven't made a terrible mistake in judgment.
I don't think you have ever made a mistake in judgement.

Sometimes, some of us may wonder about your taste, but that's why we have horseracing.

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2006, 06:58:43 PM »

I have survived the day before Thanksgiving at work.

Whew.

:P

But it was very nice when I left the store, to find der Brucer waiting there with Buster and Bonnie!  They were so happy to see me!

And Buster wanted to go in the store and see what was so interesting inside, that I'd spend so much time there!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2006, 07:01:26 PM »

Right now, I've got the turkey breast and thighs roasting away in the oven.

I'd probably better check on them every once in a while.  I've no idea how long it will take for them to come up to temp, particularly the thighs.

Yes, it is possible to get your thighs too hot.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2006, 07:36:10 PM »

My thighs are properly hot, and out of the oven.

Now, it's just a matter of time before my breasts are as hot as I want them.

:D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up