Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEIRD DAY  (Read 30211 times)

Ben

Re:THE WEIRD DAY
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 07:21:04 AM »

As we move to Page 2 I say Hoo and Ray. My small end of year project is now out of my hands. It took longer to do this year because the Foundation Center is 50 years old and that's an occasion for "rebranding" meaning a portion of the introduction for all my books had to be rewritten and reformatted. That affected 12 books. I just finished proofing the final corrections and my supervisor will finish looking at them Monday. They will ship to the printer on Tuesday and be in print by mid-December. By that time I will be on vacation, either volunteering for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS or in the Berkshires with Anthony visiting a friend or back in the city in full holiday swing.

Happy Turkey Day (or alternative feast day) if I don't pop in before I leave!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 07:29:53 AM »

Ronkonkama sounds like an Egyptian Pharaoh.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 07:30:40 AM »

Hmmm.....I think I had Chinese Food for Thanksgiving one year.  And one year for some reason I was asleep ALL day and missed everything!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 07:39:11 AM »

My roasty-toasty nuts have been shelled, and the sweet meats are now resting in the refrigerator.

I really should get that garlic roasted, too.  And chop up some bacon and get that crisped up.

It's the little things that can make a meal.

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 07:43:37 AM »

We have a Thanksgiving Dinner that would send BK on a rant to end all rants (witness the "Boca Burger incident" of last year  ;D).  We have Tofurkey and an excellent turkey-like roast made of (I kid you not) mushroom fungus made by Quorn.  Mmmmmm.....doesn't that sound appetizing?   Topped off by DS Betsy's incredibly wonderful apple pie.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 07:50:35 AM »

Good morning!

It rained most of the night. It was certainly raining every time I woke up and rolled over, and it's been raining all morning, too.

I got less sleep than usual because I had my six month check-up at the dentist, and my appointment was for 8 a.m.  Happily all teeth checked out fine, so that's over for another half year. Always a relief to put that behind me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 07:52:15 AM »

I got two invitations for dinner with others tomorrow, but I turned both down and am cooking my own dinner tomorrow just for myself. I haven't done that since I retired, and I'm looking forward to doing my own dinner tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 07:54:00 AM »

From last night, I have four hours os shows to watch today: VERONICA MARS, HOUSE, 3 LBS., and L&O:SVU.

Having lunch out with best friend John today, too, but since BONES is preempted tonight, I have that extra prime time hour in which to watch some of the things I recorded last night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 08:04:32 AM »

Good morning!  I'm trying to remember a Thanksgiving when I didn't have turkey....hmm...I can't remember one. My most untraditional thanksgiving would have been when I lived in Phoenix. I never came back to Iowa for Thanksgiving. Holidays were very hard for me back then since I had no family there.  I think the one I remember was shortly after I got divorced.

I was a regular at a local bar we had an "orphans" Thanksgiving for all the people who were away from their families.  It was in the community room of an apartment complex. We had a huge tv to watch games and with all the restaurant people there, we had a fabulous spread of turkey and all the trimmings.  A lot of the group were local musicians who hung out there. Around 7:00 PM the bar/restaurant opened and we did an open mic with everyone well into the evening. It was a lot of fun and made the day special.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2006, 08:14:09 AM »

The "orphans" phenomenon, Cilla, can be a great way around the lack of a genetic family.  I know of several gay bars in the Long Beach area that hold Thanksgiving spreads for their regulars (and whomever else happens to drop by).  The spreads may not be the most lavish, certainly not the most costly, but they are quite welcome.

One Thanksgiving, der Brucer and I dashed across the street from our watering hole, The Crest, to a grocery store to gather up a bunch of pies, the one thing the owner had forgotten!

I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem to be a custom here on the East Coast, at least not around Rehoboth.  Maybe the ties that bind us to our families are stronger here.  Either that, or the blue laws are stronger.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006, 08:16:49 AM »

Paul and I are going to see the movie Bobby tonight.  

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2006, 08:21:54 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I wouldn't trade my family for anything, but also agree that the "orphan" gatherings can be as meaningful as (sometimes more than) the more traditional ones.  When I was growing up, we lived away from my parents' extended families.  My mom and dad had several couple friends who were in the same situation and one family, in particular, became ours for Thanksgiving.  The father (may he rest in peace) in that family was an OB/GYN who delivered my sister's children and who said grace at the dinner following Richard's and my wedding.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2006, 08:25:22 AM »

Alright, BK, please feel free to bitch-slap me for only posting when I need something... but since it's Ask BK Day, let me ask you something (and everyone else, I'd love your advice on this too):

Other than PPI and Millrose, can you recommend a good recording studio in NYC that I might be able to book for MONDAY?  I just need a couple hours, and I also need testimonials to convince my boss and the client that the place has a good rep.  And by testimonials, I mean I need to be able to drop some names, i.e.: "Oh, yeah, Michael Feinstein and Anne Hampton Callaway record there all the time.  Alex Rybeck brings all his people there."  

PS - Naturally, I SAW Alex last night and didn't think to ask him at the time.  Duh.

THANKS, everyone!  Commence bitch-slapping.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2006, 08:25:58 AM »

Wow!

The rain had tapered off a bit, but all of a sudden, it kicked back up worse than ever and with a wind blowing it against the side of the house. Good night! I think there's much flooding in our future.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »

Now, I'm going to head down to put on something waterproof to wear out in this deluge when we go to lunch.

WBBL.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2006, 08:30:34 AM »

I'm trying to imagine DR Matt in a deep-diving suit, one of those things with the metal ball that fits around his head.

Waterproof, I suppose, but they've never struck me as very flexible.  And it'd get in the way if you're trying to drive a stick-shift.

;D ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2006, 08:31:09 AM »

And off to work I go.

Pray for Rosemary's Shopping Cart.   :P

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2006, 08:46:34 AM »

ASK BK:

Have you ever thought about do color correcting (or whatever it is called) for the DVD releases to show poeple how the colors should be done correctly?

If I knew how to photoshop or whatever and do screencaps, I might.  Someone did so on The Searchers - just took some yellow away and put more blue and red in and the result was astonishing and correct.  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:51:29 AM by bk »

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2006, 08:47:02 AM »

DR Joy - I have no insight into the answer to your question, but just wanted to say how nice it is to see you here today!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2006, 08:47:09 AM »

One of the funniest Thanksgivings I've ever had was my second Thanksgiving in Sioux City. I had been in my little stucco bungalow (the one I just sold last summer) for a year. My brothers family and sisters family decided to all get together in Joplin. My parents and I decided we didn't want to do the drive that year, so I hosted Thanksgiving at my house and invited both my next door neighbors, one a widow who really kept to herself a lot  and one who was about 60 then, had never married and was a retired elementary school teacher and a real busy-body (all stereotypes applied at the time)

They were so funny - they were catty back and forth. The school teacher started in about some people down the block living in sin and the widow told her she should try it, it may loosen her up. It went on and on liked that. No one was offended and we laughed until we cried.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:49:24 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2006, 08:48:02 AM »

Since then the school teacher went to her high school reunion and ended up marrying a guy who had a crush on her way back when.  They recently had their second anniversary

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2006, 08:48:38 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day....when you are directing a multi act play, do you wait until the end of rehearsal to give ALL notes, or do you give ACT ONE notes after Act One and Act Two notes after Act Two?

I like to give them all at the end of the evening....

On Deceit I found it helpful to give Act One notes after Act One, but that was the only time I think I've ever done that, except for once or twice on What If.  On The Brain, notes are at the end.  I may, however try an experiment next week and give notes the next day prior to the run-through.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2006, 08:49:35 AM »

Bruce, did you get my mail order for Ripley and Skinner at Town Hall? I mailed it to the Kritzerland address last week.

I did indeed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2006, 08:53:32 AM »

Joy, I've done many recordings at Manhattan Beach on 37th between 5th and 6th.  It's reasonable and they're very nice there.  Dropping names-wise, everyone on my compilations, from Dorothy Loudon to Chenoweth to Callaway to Rybeck to Todd Ellison to Ron Raines and on and on has recorded there.

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2006, 08:55:15 AM »

This Thanksgiving we're getting the Turkey dinner prepared by the grocery store (they also do catering).   It was a great deal money wise and mom hasn't been feeling too well, so we didn't want her to think she had to make a dinner.   I'm hoping it's good.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2006, 09:02:22 AM »

Wednesday!  Wonderful Wednesday!

Before-Thanksgiving-Thursday Wednesday!

I'm nearly beside myself in glee!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2006, 09:03:31 AM »

Sorry I missed Ben....maybe he can wave as his trains passes through town, (the tracks are a block from my house) on his way out to Ronkonkoma)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2006, 09:04:12 AM »

Tonight, I assemble the ingredients for my 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Brunswick Stew!

Cooked all the meats last night...cooked 'em, cooled 'em, deboned and de-fatted them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »

It is so very nice to see Joy here.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and come back more often!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2006, 09:05:49 AM »

I have finally finished my Deep Discount DVD ordering.  Four separate orders with four different 20%-off codes.

Sigh!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up