Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LOVELIER THAN LOVELY  (Read 23920 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:LOVELIER THAN LOVELY
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 07:36:02 AM »

Good morning!

Another heavenly day! (A ZIEGFELD FOLLIES reference). Really, not a cloud in the sky and moderate morning temperatures. It's supposed to get to 71 today! Amazing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 07:36:55 AM »

I'm about ready to move down under after seeing all those beautiful birds. You do indeed live in paradise, Tomovoz!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 07:38:20 AM »

Yay! I've done my posting duty and helped the push to page two.

Now I have to go do more painting, cleaning, moving of furniture---and I'm still sore from yesterday. Ouch! I thought this was a *holiday* weekend!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 07:38:59 AM »

Page Two EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE Dance!!!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 07:39:51 AM »

My favorite was Marshall Fields in Chicago.  While I enjoyed the book and toy departments, my favorite was the record department because they had listening booths and you could listen to any record in the department.  It was where I first listened to several cast albums before purchasing them a few blocks away at Rose Records where the prices were much cheaper.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »

I'm about ready to move down under after seeing all those beautiful birds. You do indeed live in paradise, Tomovoz!

I agree completely! His photographs are always startling and much anticipated by me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 07:43:36 AM »

There was a locally owned department store here called Ivey's. They were the store that had that fabulous music department with the listening booths. Their restaurant was called the Tea Terrace, and I remember we never ate there unless we were dressed in Sunday clothes. The escalators had wooden stairs.

When the downtown store finally closed up and moved to a large, beautiful mall, it was just never the same. A decade or so ago, it was bought out by Dillard's.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2006, 07:45:18 AM »

Thanks for the follow-up on GHOST WHISPERER, DR Ron. I will give it another look-see next week. I might not have if you hadn't spken up about that episode being a bit "off the beaten path" of the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 07:47:09 AM »

Having overdosed on SUPERMAN episodes last night, I will not watch any of those today but will watch a movie.

BK's talking about NORTH BY NORTHWEST in yesterday's notes has refueled the fire in me to see it again, but I have other films here that I haven't seen on DVD and need to get watched. So, I do have some decisions to make today regarding viewing.

FJL

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2006, 07:56:07 AM »

High tea at Harrod's was a real highlight of one of my London trips.  And surprisingly not particularly expensive.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2006, 08:25:26 AM »

Hi, guys - swilling down the caffeine, here, and gearing up for another fun-filled day of final papers. I finally stopped at just after 8 last night, having done some of the preliminary work assembling a semblance of the ANTAH and COMM papers. Said semblance is mostly just the references. I think once I finish these, I'm basically done with the quarter work at Cal State. THEN I have wads of assignments to complete for next weekend. Ah, la vita studentesca...

So, i think I'm going to go to opening night of BRAIN. Who else is going that night?
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2006, 08:26:56 AM »

TOD - I hated department stores as a kid. Once I grew up, I did love going into Saks Fifth Ave to look, and Harrod's in London. I'm just not much of a shopper, even now. An afternoon of "Let's go shopping!" with my sisters is still pretty much a trial. Don't like it.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2006, 08:28:22 AM »

My mom used to shlep us into May Co. on Wilshire and Fairfax a couple of times a year. I liked that big shiny round corner of the building! And the big display windows.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2006, 08:30:30 AM »

Heading down now to think about lunch preparation. Then, on to the DVDs!

WBBL.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 08:30:55 AM by Matt H. »

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2006, 09:03:50 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Had a lovely sleep-in and then went to have my hair cut.  Now, I'm back home dismantling Thanksgiving and converting our house to Christmas.

When I got home from work last night, our house smelled like Thanksgiving all over again.  DH Richard had warmed all the leftovers, which tasted much better to me than the originals had on Thursday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2006, 09:26:57 AM »

TOD - Downtown Detroit's

J. L. Hudson's

which was imploded on October 24, 1998  :'(

In 1956 or so, my sister took me to the book department to meet Kay Thompson and have her autograph my copy of the first Eloise book (which I still have).  It was in the optical department where I was fitted for my first pair of glasses.  As teenagers, my then-best-friend and I spent at least one Saturday a month just wandering the departments, having lunch in one of the several restaurants, and pretending to be very grown-up and sophisticated.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2006, 09:34:13 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - having finally gotten eight hours of sleep.  

Edisaurus - our new cast member is from Atlanta, and will be going there directly after our show closes.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2006, 09:36:43 AM »

News from the "NOW YOU TELL ME!" department:

47,000 Pounds of Turkey and Ham Recalled

WASHINGTON (Nov. 24) - An Ohio-based company is recalling 46,941 pounds of turkey and ham products that officials fear could cause listeriosis, a potentially fatal disease, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said on Friday.

HoneyBaked Foods Inc. is voluntarily recalling the meat, which includes cooked, glazed and sliced ham and turkey, USDA said in a statement.

The meat, which was produced between September 5 and November 13, may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, which can bring about high fever, headaches, neck stiffness and nausea, USDA said.

I'm sure two days after Thanksgiving there are loads of still untouched turkeys and hams :-\

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2006, 09:55:10 AM »

Hello! I'm home.  I had a great holiday with the family and man did I work.  My mother's halls are decked. The tree is up, the lights are on the outside of the house, the fall decorations are packed away and put in the attic or basement, etc...It really was a lot of work, but she really shouldn't be doing it all herself and she would if we didn't do it for her.

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 09:55:32 AM »

Thanks for the avatar comments.  I like it better than the last one

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2006, 09:55:46 AM »

Lovely photos, Tomovoz.

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2006, 09:56:50 AM »

Now I must finish unpacking all the hand-me-down Christmas decorations I was given and perhaps put up some outside lights while the weather is still good

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2006, 10:00:41 AM »

Welcome back, DR Cillaliz!

...and perhaps put up some outside lights while the weather is still good

That's my plan, too.  Today and tomorrow are supposed to be beautiful here and I'd like to get that done while DS Rob is still here to help.

FJL

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2006, 10:11:22 AM »

I think my New Year's resolution this year is going to be physically unhealthy but mentally valuable - to watch more of the one-hour TV dramas from time to time.  I watched four of these shows this week, which I rarely do, and I'm beginning to feel that as far as dramatic writing is concerned, I'd rather be watching this stuff than what's being done as serious drama these days in the theater.  I still think I'll go on preferring the experience of sharing laughter at a comedy in a theater to sitcoms, and I haven't found any at-home equivalent for seeing a musical in the theater - but I was blown away by what I saw on these TV dramas this past week.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2006, 10:11:51 AM »

Growing up in Medford we had Woolworth's and J.C. Penney's downtown. Of the two Woolworth's was my favorite because they had toys and lots of knick knacks while J.C. Penney's had mostly clothes and linens.

However my favorite store as a kid was not a department store but the 99 Cent store downtown. Bought a lot of cool coloring books there and next door was the toy story (I don't recall the name) where I bought many Breyer's horses and Revell models.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2006, 10:12:39 AM »

DR Edisaurus, if you have not yet received it yet, you should soon have a package of motion picture delights in your mailbox.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2006, 10:13:54 AM »

Like BK I will also be watching HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GAL which features my interviewee William Reynolds in a co-starring role.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »

Thanks for the follow-up on GHOST WHISPERER, DR Ron. I will give it another look-see next week. I might not have if you hadn't spken up about that episode being a bit "off the beaten path" of the show.

The ghosts aren't always hostile, DR MattH, but several have been angy, and - in the case of last year's plane crash episodes - they have been quite frightening to see.  I do like the show a lot, but I don't believe MEDIUM's any less unsettling.

I see this week we have the serial killer doctor based on the Chicago serial kller from the Chicago World's Fair back this week on MEDIUM.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

Hi, guys - swilling down the caffeine, here, and gearing up for another fun-filled day of final papers. I finally stopped at just after 8 last night, having done some of the preliminary work assembling a semblance of the ANTAH and COMM papers. Said semblance is mostly just the references. I think once I finish these, I'm basically done with the quarter work at Cal State. THEN I have wads of assignments to complete for next weekend. Ah, la vita studentesca...

So, i think I'm going to go to opening night of BRAIN. Who else is going that night?

Me!  Will I see you next Saturday at the band rehearsal?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »

I don't recall having a favorite department store.  Shopping always seemed to be a chore, because I was made to go with my mom (or as an adult, with my sister). ::) Anyway, if I go shopping now, I really do prefer to go all by myself.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up