Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCHEME OF THINGS  (Read 27232 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE SCHEME OF THINGS
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2006, 09:25:59 AM »

TOD:  I think we've talked about this before, but I think JCS is a work of genius, sadly never to be repeated in his oeuvre, IMHO.  I actually like a lot of Woman in White, which I got as a free bonus from Borders last year.  Just about everything else makes me gag.  Sorry to you ALW lovers, and you know who you are.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2006, 09:28:41 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUSTIAN!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde...
But fust Ian, the bandleader, insisted on delivering a long-winded rant about people who insisted on one particular dance instead of trying out different things, such as the tango, the twist, and the bunny hop.

Ian had obviously forgotten to take his medication again.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2006, 09:29:13 AM »

I have not watched MEN IN TREES...but had I known that John Amos was going to be in it, I would have started.

Trust me on this:  Anne Heche ruins any appeal the rest of the cast may have to offer.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2006, 09:29:33 AM »

George:  get yourself a big fan and set it up in the living room.  It will help dry things and prevent mildew.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2006, 09:31:04 AM »

That's usually what happens to me when I think of ALW!   ;D

He doesn't upset me...it's the overwhelming financial success of his shows when there are so many BETTER composers out there NOT getting produced that upsets me.

But...his melodies have popular approval and support...

No financial gain in wit and sophistication THESE days!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:31:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »

Thursday afternoon greetings!  My day started with a breakfast meeting at the Dayton Racquet Club, which was lovely (the breakfast part) and very informative (the meeting part).

It's quite balmy here in SW Ohio, too, but we have wintery weather blowing in for tomorrow.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2006, 09:33:04 AM »

George:  get yourself a big fan and set it up in the living room.  It will help dry things and prevent mildew.

Meanwhile....get all your towels and place them on the rug....and do the "watusi" all over the floor....then take up the towels and toss them in your dryer.   After they dry, repeat the procedure until the carpet seems to have recovered.

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2006, 09:35:55 AM »

DR George - sorry about your soggy carpet.  I had a similar thing happen in my first apartment.  It was on the ground level next to the laundry room and someone let a washer overflow  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2006, 09:37:08 AM »

DR JRand:  Yesterday you wrote:

"Arctic blast forecast for us tomorrow night."

Our local weather guy contrasted our chilly temps with the rest of the country and I saw that you were up in the 60s yesterday.

Tonight's change should be drastic!

I heard on the news this morning that someplace in the U.S.....possibly a town in Texas....you could actually see the temperature dropping this morning....by one degree every four minutes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2006, 09:38:05 AM »

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....I get the chills just thinking about snow and such.

It was F 39 here this morning.   MUCH too cold for the likes of us.

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »

(since COMPANY is back on Broadway, and possibly as a great big hit)

Why-O, Why-O, didn't I see it here in Ohio?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2006, 09:44:44 AM »

I don't know from Andrew Lloyd Webber.
He produced Bombay Dreams.

"Shakalaka Baby", and all that jazz.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2006, 09:53:49 AM »

It has been marvelously temperate here in Delaware.  Many customers have commented, while bemoaning what it will be like when the weather turns wintery.

I've been wanting to tell them "That's why God invented Florida," but I've remained temperate myself.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2006, 09:57:53 AM »

Favorite ALW - Variations, aka the second half of Song and Dance.  Love the original rock recording with bro Julian, love the orchestral version, and even like the OLCR, in spite of bits being cut.  (And favorite song "Unexpected Song" is, of course, one of the variations, with lyrics added.)

I'm also fond of Evita, both in it's original London studio cast recording and the film version.

I've never been able to listen to Whistle Down the Wind.  We have it, I started listening to it, and put it aside.  Bleh.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:00:53 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2006, 09:58:37 AM »

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....I get the chills just thinking about snow and such.

It was F 39 here this morning.   MUCH too cold for the likes of us.
That's why God invented Florida.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2006, 10:05:21 AM »

Back from errand and jog and must now shower and get to the casting session, then on to LACC.  Whew!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2006, 10:13:55 AM »

Variations is, as everyone her undoubtedly knows (so I'm really posting this for the lurkers) based on Paganini's Caprice No. 24 in A minor.

It's a tune that has had considerable mileage.  While I haven't heard all of them, the list of variations includes:

Variations on a Theme of Paganini - Boris Blacher.

Paganini Variations, Op. 35, for solo piano - Johannes Brahms

Grandes Etudes de Paganini, S.141, for solo piano - Franz Liszt (one of the five caprices arranged is the 24th)

Paganini Variations - Witold Lutoslawski

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43 - Sergei Rachmaninoff

And, of course, Andrew Lloyd, as I earlier stated, put it on his Webber and grilled it.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2006, 10:14:14 AM »

He produced Bombay Dreams.

"Shakalaka Baby", and all that jazz.

Was he responsible for the songs? I though A.R. Rehman did them. But I could be wrong.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2006, 10:14:52 AM »

I don't have to go to work today (hurrah!), but der B needs to get on the computer.  Have fun, everyone.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2006, 10:16:14 AM »

Was he responsible for the songs? I though A.R. Rehman did them. But I could be wrong.
ALW produced the show.  A.R. Rehman wrote the songs.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2006, 10:51:43 AM »

DR RLP, I like Anne Heche.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2006, 10:54:19 AM »

RE: ALW, he's not my favorite, but i have seen many of his shows: Evita, Cats, Phantom of the opera, joseph, Whistle down the wind, jesus christ superstar.  I've also seen any of them on video.  And I have listened to Aspects of love.

I think my favorite show on stage is Evita. Although i did love Joseph and the Amazing Techicolor Dreamcoat when i first saw it in Toronto.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2006, 10:57:47 AM »

In case anybody is interested, the cast of MARY POPPINS (broadway) is going to be on the Early Show (CBS) tomorrow (Friday) between 8am-9am.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2006, 11:00:59 AM »

Andrew Lloyd Webber has written some lovely melodies.  "Music of the Night", though way overexposed by now, is truly lovely, IMO.  

I liked it better when it was known as "Come to Me, Bend to Me."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »

DR RLP, I like Anne Heche.

Okay......

.....I don't.  I find her unbelievable, unattractive and vastly untalented.

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2006, 11:25:23 AM »

TOD

...Least:  the damn train song in CATS - in fact MOST of CATS

LOL!  The train song in Cats is one of my most favorites, DR JRand!  Cats was DS Rob's favorite car listening when he was still small enough to ride in a car seat.  It got to the point where I turned off the front speakers so I wouldn't have to hear it anymore!

Guess my favorite show is Evita.  Fond memories of seeing it on Broadway, New Year's Eve 1982, and I like the movie a lot, too.

Favorite songs:  "Love Changes Everything," "Tell Me on a Sunday," "Rainbow High"

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »

I'm sorry TCB is not on line to read all the comments about his favourite show "Evita"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2006, 12:03:53 PM »

Loved, absolutely loved, Anne Heche in PROOF on Broadway and in TWENTIETH CENTURY also on Broadway at the Roundabout.  I seem to enjoy her more on stage than on screen.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2006, 12:21:38 PM »

It's quite balmy here in Atlanta.

Climate or residents?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2006, 12:27:12 PM »

George:  get yourself a big fan...

I suspect beared Cannibals in Fishnet Hose and High Heels have a limited fan base from which to draw.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up