Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLOCK IS TICKING  (Read 19619 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CLOCK IS TICKING
« on: December 06, 2006, 01:29:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes, like the clock, were ticking, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - the cows are also ticking and perhaps they'll explode.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 01:47:21 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE CLOCK IS TICKING
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 01:29:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: PENULTIMATE!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 01:57:10 AM »

BK...I know how those musicians can be after working for an orchestra for 10 years. Film crews are the same, especially union crews. But there are still small independent music, film and stage productions and crew who do it for the love, and go beyond the call, even when they're working for free. It's a shame when these pros can't appreciate that they're getting paid for doing something they love!

After wrestling that 30 hours of Comic Relief footage into a 5 minute piece, the web "producer", who apparently has never produced anything before, interrupted my other session over a dozen times to ask me stupid questions about his online session. He would have known these things if he had bothered to show up for ONE edit session! Althought I was glad to cut this unsupervised, (and he was delighted and had no changes,) the lack of interest or committment on his part appalled me. This guy is just starting out and there are tons of other people who would love to have his job.

The capper was when he called because he was missing some tapes (that he should have rounded up and taken to his session.). I had to run around looking for them but couldn't courier them because Turner would have locked their front doors by the time they would get there. It's a 10-15 minute tirp to over where I was editing so I told him that if he wanted his tapes, he could run over and get them and get back in time to finish his session. Producers do that all the time. His answer was: "I'm not working *that* hard today!" My answer was "Well, *I* am"! I then wrote up my work order, with 4 hours of overtime that he cost me, and billed it to him. This guy contributed nothing to the edit and cost them more money. I had such a small window of time to do everything before I had to leave town and he wasted 4 hours of my life because he doesn't want to work hard.

Man, I was LIVID!

OK...I'd better finish packing. Sorry for the rant, but BK's musicians brought it on!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 01:58:27 AM »

I hope I just wrote the penultimate rant.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:58:53 AM »

Goodnight DR George, our little cannibal!

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 05:21:22 AM »

ASK BK DAY:

In your film The Creature Wasn't Nice. Cindy Williams watches a TV with three women chatting away (One of them is her sister) The actress get screen credit, but are not indentified to which character they play. If you can remember the scene from left to right who are they?
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 05:32:55 AM »

In finding anagrams for the word PENULTIMATE, I let my PEN MUTILATE the letters and came up with:

A PENILE MUTT

AMPUTEE LINT

INMATE LETUP

LEAPT MINUET

ENTITLE PUMA

PLATINUM TEE

NUPTIAL MEET (the next to last)

and NUTMEAT PILE

Anyone wanting to make a story out of all this, be my guest.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 05:38:49 AM »

I have endured the last couple of days at work.  I have even survived them.  And I have even caught up with my sleep, so I should be able to survive today, as well.

Yesterday, before I toddled to my bedchamber, der Brucer insisted that we catch up with Monday's televiewing and watch Heroes.  While watching Heroes, we ate Hero sandwiches, very good from a nearby Italian deli.  If it had been a Greek deli, and the sandwiches had been made with pita bread, we would have watched Heroes while eating gyros, I commented to der B.  

That's how tired I was.

All better now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 05:51:44 AM »

Tired as I was getting, I still had my first true dose of holiday cheer yesterday.

A woman was in my line with a surprisingly large order - several boxes of various canned goods, cereals, and other staples.  It turned out that she was part of a team that puts together boxes of food for the needy, working from the local Methodist church.  This year, they are giving aid to a hundred families.

I automatically ran a second copy of her reciept, something I do for sales that I know are for business purposes (restaurants, for example, that have been shorted by their purveyors), and she was glad to have the second copy because she would otherwise have to photocopy that long piece of paper.

Fortunately, we weren't busy at that moment, so I was also able to shut down my register and help her load everything into her SUV - those vehicles do have their usefulness.  

All right, my own contribution wasn't all that much.  But I still ended up with a feeling of good cheer, and understand much better now why our Ben and his Ant do their own annual boxing.

The best of the season to everyone - S. Woody.

FJL

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 06:16:53 AM »

Ben - Your efforts sounds wonderful.  Please keep posting about what's going on.  It's very inspiring (or is the word inspirational?)  

Ben

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 06:21:36 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Fred. Speaking of inspirational, we got some CDs from Shh-k-a-Boom Records (or however it's spelled) and they are (since I'm not on location I can't remember the exact title) Christmas inspirational CDs. Mr. Deutsch (sp) and crew at Shh... get big hugs from us!!!

Ben

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 06:22:51 AM »

And now I'm off to shower and move uptown.

Good thoughts to the L.A. crew and to Fred and Skip for their trip to L.A. to be part of the L.A. crew (how many times can I say L.A. in one sentence).

Later, my friends.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 06:31:42 AM »

...(how many times can I say L.A. in one sentence)...
Fa L.A. L.A. L.A. L.A.
 L.A. L.A. L.A. L.A.

(Works for me every time!   ;D)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 07:10:50 AM »

Wow....what kind HHW'ers we have.

DR EDISAURUS, I will take his job.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 07:14:45 AM »

A nightmare....it is a nightmare.

This morning I got an email from Amazon.com telling me they were having trouble with my MasterCard (you already know what's coming)....

I looked at my online statement and found a $590 charge to Flowers.com and a $1100 charge to North Star Distributors....neither of them from me.

Called GMCardmember services....cancelled the card and will be issued a new one....which means NONE of my PayPal or Amazon accounts will work until I get the card....in 10 days.

Can't dispute the charges until they move from Pending to Posted - but some of the charges were under Pending TWICE.  Called and asked why, was told I charged them twice.  I said NO I DID NOT....was told, yes you did.

Idiots!  Said I have to talk to someone else....right now.  He sort of answered, but if he had said I charged the SAME thing twice, I would have talked to someone else.

Now I will just check my account in the morning to see which of these have posted.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Be careful DR's.....check your online statements!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »

Now I'm sick.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 07:43:38 AM »

Good morning, all!  I wasn't aware of the orchestral dissension, but I have to say, in behalf of the band, I'll bet not one of them has been in the throes of a new production wherein new material is thrown at them daily and there is practically no rehearsal time to talk through or play through the cues.  

It ain't easy from their end or my end.  They like to be on top of things, they now have  a million new sheets of ridiculous squiggles, some lasting a second before they have to jump without warning to another page with one bar of sound effects. while the MD has already started playing something else.  It's hard work.  I'm sure when they all agreed to play, they thought they'd get a completed book of parrts to play from.

I try to accommodate them as best I can, but I have no time and no assistant to  edit or reduce these bits onto one or two pages or to write in the dialogue cues. Last night, when we should have talked through the new pieces, the band had to deal with the sound ladies who should have been to the sitzprobe to familiarize themselves a bit with the score and maybe ask a few questions.  I'm sure the question is "who's paying me to do this?" and that factors the decision.  

I have to say, I've been spolied at Goodspeed, where the players all know from so many shows that they're getting things thrown at them throughout early previews.

On the other side of the coin, following my early morning meltdown, I accomplished agreat deal yesterday, not as much as I wanted, but I could not have done it without our DR Adrianna Patti or the lovely Merrill Grant who helped me enormoulsy with photocopying, paper cuttiing and getting the books in order.  I have another day of this madness: several adjustments in existing cues, a new and shorter overture, some help to cue The Brain in his singalong, and hoepfully the last of the incidental cues.

Up and away!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 07:46:32 AM »

JRand---that SUCKS!!!!

Edisaurus

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 07:48:02 AM »

My Prisoner DVDs arrived...now all that's left is Aventurera...leaving me even more grateful to MBarnum. (Ill mail you the Crykle CD when I get back...right now we're heading to the airport for Santa Fe!)

Edisaurus

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 07:49:23 AM »

Ben---fantastic job! Is there any way to make any contribution to your efforts, financial or otherwise? (I can't knit, though!) :-)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 08:37:10 AM »

A QUESTION FOR BK!

Dear esteemed BK:

It has been quite some time since we have indulged in a round of coprophiliac jokes.  Because we have several new Dear Readers, could you explain to them what these jokes are, and a little of their history?

I thank-you, and offer a platter of crud-ities.   :-*

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 08:42:52 AM »

Good morning!

A little cloudier today than the past two days, but it's also supposed to be a bit warmer, too, so there's always a tradeoff. Still, a lovely December morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 08:44:13 AM »

Beautiful day here in Rehoboth, blue skies filled with chevrons of honking geese.

:D

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 08:44:16 AM »

Oh, DR JRand, I'm SO sorry to read of your credit card troubles. What a nightmare! And so scary to know someone out there had your information like that. I've had to change my number/card in the past, so I know what you're feeling. I was sick with worry for a couple of days.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 08:44:51 AM »

And off I go to work!  (Big news there, right?   ::))

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 08:46:19 AM »

A reminder for those who have TCM:

Tonight is Stanley Donen night on the network. Starts with a Private Screenings interview with Robert Osborne that I'm really looking forward to. Then films in which he participated in some way for the remainder of the evening (and a repeat of the interview like they usually do).

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 08:49:26 AM »

Since I only recorded nip/tuck last night, I will have time for DVDs today (and to watch the first version of WATERLOO BRIDGE).

I noticed that Fox has BONES episodes on both sides of each disc in the set, so I still have two episodes to view from Disc 1. Those will be priority #1 this afternoon.

BTW, the transfers looks simply splendid for BONES. Very detailed and with gorgeous color, as close to high definition as I've seen any standard edition TV/DVDs look.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »

For those of you who are watching Taye Diggs' DAY BREAK. I read that ABC is going to show the scheduled episodes for December but is going to replace the show in January with other programming leaving the last four episodes in limbo. Makes me want to reconsider even continuing with the series.

Also, when LOST returns from its winter hiatus, it will be moved to 10 p.m. on Wednesdays.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 09:03:28 AM »

The lights are now out, at least in my household, re: "Friday Night Lights."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »

It's Wednesday already?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:04:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up