Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLOCK IS TICKING  (Read 19620 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE CLOCK IS TICKING
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2006, 09:04:46 AM »

Is it ONLY Wednesday?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2006, 09:07:58 AM »

Why, we've finally managed to reach PAGE 2:
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2006, 09:12:57 AM »

How appropriate to show FUNNY FACE with Stanley Donen night happening on TCM tonight!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2006, 09:13:28 AM »

And now, off I go to take care of a few household chores before starting lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2006, 09:43:46 AM »

DR Edisaurus:  I read with amusement the tale of your cat who got his head caught in the handles of a paper bag.

And then you wrote a note to BK remarking about what he's missing not having a pet.

Did you know that BK had a pet for a trial period a few years ago?  A dog. In his former abode (the one he owned).

He took in this dog, but the poor thing was confused and would get scared at the least little thing and piddle on the floor.

BK was quite tolerant hoping the creature would learn to relax and be less prone to releasing urine indoors.  But alas the day.  T'wasn't to be.

Should you ever roam through the archives, you'll find columns and reader comments about this back in 2002 or 2003, I think.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:45:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2006, 09:55:41 AM »

Bruce, sorry for the trouble you're having... as to Professional Musicians Should Be Thrilled To Be Paid At All, (since they're doing what they love) - well, last minute cues and untidy parts books are not all that lovable. It's very stressful. Happy and fun is more likely to engender the desire to work for free... stressful wants compensation.

Plus, this is what they do in order to pay their mortgages and buy new Nikes for their kids... some of them can't bear the work any longer, but can't find anything else that pays as well. A couple of my old pals from Juilliard finally quit their tenured jobs in the New York City Opera pit and the Phantom of the Opera pit, and moved to Ventura to work in a scuba store...

Up in Seattle, we had wonderful musicians who called in sick at Seattle Symphony, in order to play our gigs - for a third less than SSO was paying them -- because they felt unappreciated and abused at SSO, and felt loved and cherished with us... but we called Union breaks and provided whatever we could to please them. There was NO drama, EVER, and if we wanted them to stay an extra fifteen (almost NEVER), we offered compensation, which most of them declined to accept. We were considered a plum gig, and did everything we could to keep it that way...
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2006, 10:03:16 AM »

ASK BK DAY:

In your film The Creature Wasn't Nice. Cindy Williams watches a TV with three women chatting away (One of them is her sister) The actress get screen credit, but are not indentified to which character they play. If you can remember the scene from left to right who are they?

The three actresses are Carol Ann Williams (Cindy's sister), Cheri Eichen (now Cheri Steinkeller, and writer of the new Sister Act musical), and my muse, Margaret Willock Jones.  Margaret's the one with the long, straight blonde hair and Cheri's the brunette.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2006, 10:03:44 AM »

(continuing...) Ten thousand hours in a practice room while your friends are playing and partying and being young, tapping out rhythms and marking your parts during a 30-second lull in rehearsal, cranking it out hour after hour, day after day, year after year - in order to hone the ability to play new music at performance level at first sight - well, nobody just gives that to you -- and all of that effort is UNPAID. It's part of paying dues and learning and honing the craft.

It doesn't just "happen". It's not just "gift" or "talent" - it's damned hard work. And when it gets good enough to sell, well, some folks want to be paid for it.
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »

Re the musicians - I'm sorry, I don't need lip from people being asked to stay for fifteen minutes.  The sound situation is unfortunate, but the only way to fix it is to have the band play - otherwise they're doing it on the fly during the run-through and that is not good.  These guys are not doing this show for low money, they're making what musicians make at the Ahmanson.  I'm told I COULD have gotten musicians cheaper, since we're NOT the Ahmanson, but I figured if they got what they got they'd be happy and not uppity.  I don't do well with uppity.

If there's any more of this, I'll talk to our MD about replacing them after Saturday's performance.  

As to new music being thrown at them - my heart bleeds.  These are cues that last ten to twenty seconds and no, there's no time to rehearse, because they seem to arrive ten minutes before they have to play the show.  Oh, well.  Hopefully, tonight they will arrive at half-hour and Richard can take them through the cues and while they're doing that the sound person can perhaps keep finessing the band sound.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2006, 10:13:33 AM »

Coprophilia is love of excrement.  A typical coprophiliac joke is: What is a coprophiliac's favorite children's TV show?  Howdy Doody.  What is a coprophiliac's favorite game of chance?  Craps.  What is a coprophiliac's favorite place to sit in a bar?  A bar stool.  What is a coprophiliac's favorite part of a symphony?  The second movement.  

Your turn.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2006, 10:20:19 AM »

Has it already been mentioned here that our very own Rodzinski is taking over writing the "Leading Men" column on playbill?   See the end of this article:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/103990.html

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2006, 10:38:07 AM »

DR JRand, I hope everything gets sorted out for you.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2006, 10:38:41 AM »

Continued unpuffed kitty vibes to Edi!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2006, 10:39:10 AM »

Wonder if a full moon is affecting them?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2006, 10:43:17 AM »

I went to the post office to buy stamps. Oh my! I'd better get some packages ready to go soon.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2006, 10:46:21 AM »

JRand - That happened to me, and instead of the credit card company letting me know, I found out that my card had been invalidated when I was trying to charge my visit to the dentist's offcie.  Very embarrassing, as I had no other method of payment with me.  And when that happens when you're doing a transaction in person, you have this feeling that they're thinking of you like some sort of deadbeat who can't be trusted.  :(

It's very annoying and I wish you good vibes for continuing to handle it as well as you are.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2006, 10:52:31 AM »

Wow! Congrats to our very own Rodzinski for his gig in taking over "Leading Men"!! That is wonderful!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2006, 10:55:49 AM »

And Yikes! for JRand56....how awful and what a pain in the buns. I presume you are not liable for any of it...and for crying out loud who needs that many flowers!

About 5 years ago someone went on a $2000 dollar shopping spree in Korea with my credit card number. Thankfully my bank called and alerted me and things were set right with very little trouble, and I hope yours is delt with just as easily.....but gosh, having your paypal access limited for that amount of time...well, I think I know how you must be feeling!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2006, 11:33:05 AM »

In some sad news actor Adam Williams, star of THE SPACE CHILDREN, WITHOUT WARNING, and NORTH BY NORTHWEST passed away on Monday.

He was one of those character actors who showed up in movies and TV all of the time in the 1950s and 60s...and quite a good actor he was.

I spoke to him last week while he was in the hospital and he had invited me to visit him when I was in L.A. this weekend and to possible do an interview. Very nice guy and he had a lot of stories to tell.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2006, 11:44:03 AM »

How awful about the credit thing, JRand. I hope it all gets resolved quickly.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »

No thanks, I hear enough shitty jokes as it is.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2006, 12:11:11 PM »

...why our Ben and his Ant do their own annual boxing.

Only one fight a year - sign of a sound relationship.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2006, 12:30:42 PM »

Just watched Adam Williams in North By Northwest.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2006, 12:31:12 PM »

Have shipped more packages this morning, and have a few more for tomorrow, then I'm all caught up and current, including all store orders.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »

No thanks, I hear enough shitty jokes as it is.

Oh, poo!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2006, 01:14:45 PM »

Inner Strength

If you can start the day without caffeine or pep pills,

If you can be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when loved ones are too busy to give you time,

If you can overlook when people take things out on you when,
    through no fault of yours, something goes wrong,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can do all these things,

Then you are probably the family dog.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »

Adam Williams is VERY good in North by Northwest.

Well....cancelled the card of course, but I can't dispute the charges because they are PENDING and not posted.  I don't know why and I couldn't get an answer from anyone....nor WHY a couple of my PayPal charges show up TWICE in pending....

So I took the bull by the horns and called the one company - told them my situation, got the SHIP TO address for the $1019 worth of merchandise and the person's name and telephone number.  It's in Paris Tx.  Called the police dept there, was told I had to make the report to my local police, which I did.  I hope they go knocking on his door tonight and find out what's going on.

No I won't have to pay, although the $590 charge at 1-800-FLOWERS.com was impossible to trace...it had been made but no name or anything.  How do they know where to send the flowers?  I think it has been cancelled.

BUT I won't have a Card until my replacement arrives....what Christmas I have....is what Christmas everyone gets.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2006, 01:35:46 PM »

Sorry to hear about the band - music - sound problems.

I will send GOOD VIBES for all tonight!

oh I have to go, I can't be here past 3:30 according to my contract.

And I don't do well with UPPITY either....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2006, 01:54:56 PM »

Well, vibes for a calm credit card situation from here on in JRand56.

Now I must get some lunch and pack for my flight tomorrow morning.

Friends will watch the house and the animals for me, so that is taken care of. Whew.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2006, 02:08:04 PM »

Mangled Press

Cassidy Jackson feeds her 4-year-old dalmation Flurry off during Meet the Breeds at the Sixth Annual AKC/Eukanuba national Championship at the Long Beach Convention Center Sunday.

I'm sure the writer meant "fends" not "feeds".
The writer misspelled Dalmatian!

der Brucer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up