Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHARON MCNIGHT'S NUTS  (Read 25953 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:SHARON MCNIGHT'S NUTS
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »

We finished the Christie Boxed Set last night with the pretty abominable Sparkling Cyanide, which was another version of the Suchet Poirot Yellow Iris.  Does anyone know if the Poirot appropriated (or should that be apPOIROTiated) a non-Poirot story, or did Sparkling Cyanide remove Poirot in its rewrite?

The Regatta Mystery (1939) contained the story "Yellow Iris" with Hercule Poirot.

That story was expanded into a full length novel  "Remembered Death"(1945_) - UK Title "Sparkling Cyanide". - but here a Colonel Race replaces Poirot as the sleuth.

The TV show was a Sue Grafton rewrite of the latter (with some name changes).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »

Here's one from the early 70s, with gorgeous arrangements by my friend Peter Schickele, AKA PDQ Bach, whose "Oedipus Tex" is one of the funniest parodies of classical music I know:

And his great orchestral parody "The 1712 Overture".

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »

Grantseeking Basics 2006 is now history.  I've had my lunch and am now looking at my last 3 hours of information waitressing for the year.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2006, 10:42:33 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm so isolated at times: I knew about the dreadful weather, but I had no idea how dire things currently were for some of you wonderful HHW friends in the Northwest.  Please know I'm praying for your safety, health, and comfort.

Thank you very much!!  I'm still without power at home, but I'm at work right now, which has power...but of course, it's not home.  The Dura-Flame logs worked fairly well, but they are mainly for "decoration."  They aren't meant to be used more than one at a time nor for heating your whole house for very long.  But they take the chill off when you stand right in front of them ::) (especially when one is nekked! :o). ;) Otherwise my cat Ebonie seems to be okay.  She stays upstairs.  I guess the fire frightens her, but it could just be that it's a bit warmer up there.  I was able to take a fairly warm (but not hot) shower today.  I may need to go to my parents' house tomorrow, but we have a matinee, so I won't have much time in the morning.  We'll see if the power comes on today or not. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »

The washing-machine-agitator-hydraulic-lift man has been here and gone.

Dagnabbit, but he never used the lift.  He wrangled the remaining stuck shirt out from under the agitator...and then ran a series of checks to determine whether there might be something else under there and whether the agitator was seated properly.  

One thing is for sure...the agitator IS stuck.  The remedy is to remove it with the lift, with a 75% chance that the agitator will break and need to be replaced.

He recommended against it, primarily because everything is now functioning normally.

When was the last time someone came to your home under professional circumstances, stayed 30 minutes and solved an appliance problem -- including recommending against doing anything unnecessary -- and then charged you only $25?

;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 10:45:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2006, 10:46:07 AM »

Thoughts and prayers go out to all our Pacific Northwest Hainsies/Kimlets for power restoration and recovery from wind damage.  Yikes!

Thanks, also!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2006, 10:46:36 AM »

The day here is beyond glorious...the sun is shining, the air is sweet.  The temp is around F 68 degrees.... F 75 in sunny spots.  The surface of the pond is smooth and reflective.

It's like a little piece of heaven.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2006, 10:47:26 AM »

I wonder how many people will read today's "subject" line and presume it's a declaratory statement about Ms. McNight's mental state?

:D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:12:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »

George

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »

Candle vibes to DR George and the rest of the fine Cannibals!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

(They'll make your flawless complection look even creamier!!!   8))

Thanks for the show vibes!  I'm hoping that we get power because of my very quick changes...I need all the light that I can get to transform myself from the judge into the beautiful Indian persona in such a short amount of time. ;)

George

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2006, 10:49:19 AM »

All best wishes to our friends in the Northwest who may or may not have been adversely affected by the storm.

And thank you, too!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2006, 10:50:25 AM »

The Dura-Flame logs worked fairly well, but they are mainly for "decoration."  They aren't meant to be used more than one at a time nor for heating your whole house for very long.  But they take the chill off when you stand right in front of them ::) (especially when one is nekked! :o). ;)

George, thanks for the visual aid!   :P

Are you using the regular Dura-Flame logs or the 6-hour logs?

One 6-hour log takes the chill off my living room and keeps me comfy for at least 4 hours (!)...even when I'm in my underwear.  Of course, I don't have an upstairs acting as a suction channel for all the warm air downstairs.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2006, 10:52:34 AM »

TOD - One of my favorite Christmas memories is recent, 2004.  Not only was it my first HHW Christmas, it was the year that we were hit with a major snowstorm on Dec. 22.  DH Richard and I went to the grocery as soon as we realized that the Weather Channel had a reporter on location in Dayton, OH (they send those guys to the BIG stories) and bought enough to keep the 3 of us fed and entertained for several days.  We were snowbound for the next 72 hours, which included Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning.  I baked and cooked and Christmas-cocooned with just my husband and son.  We watched holiday specials on TV, listened to all our Christmas CDs, and marveled at the beauty of deep snow (which we don't see often in SW Ohio).  It was glorious.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2006, 10:55:16 AM »

Yesterday, der Brucer wrote this:
Sometimes items just stand up and announce a name:

George, this one's for you:

der Brucer

I'll take it!!  Just get rid of the damn phone!

;)

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »

TOD (cont'd) - Christmas Day 1982 was pretty great, too.  Richard and I had a quiet lunch with his parents then flew to NYC for the week.  We saw 8 shows in 7 days, spent time with DR Elmore, celebrated New Year's Eve just north of Times Square.

George

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2006, 10:56:55 AM »

Are you using the regular Dura-Flame logs or the 6-hour logs?

One 6-hour log takes the chill off my living room and keeps me comfy for at least 4 hours (!)...even when I'm in my underwear.  Of course, I don't have an upstairs acting as a suction channel for all the warm air downstairs.

I got a 9-pack of the 6-hour logs at Costco for less that $20 a box.  When I went to Fred Meyer for the lighters, they had a 6-pack of the 4-hour logs for almost that much.

George

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2006, 10:58:28 AM »

I don't think that I've ever had an extra special Christmas...at least that I can specifically remember.  They were, of course, more special as a youngster, but they've all been quite nice as an adult. :)

George

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2006, 11:00:38 AM »

Well, I must be off.  I'm going to have lunch with my sister and niece somewhere soon.  Have a good day all.  Send your vibes for power at the college!! ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2006, 11:01:17 AM »

Well, I've caught up on Dec. 14th postings.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »

DR TomovOz:

I am so sorry not to have been online Thursday to wish you a happy birthday.

Therefore....

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A Very Merry UnBirthday to YOU![/move]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2006, 11:06:28 AM »

DR Jrand:  I flew out at approximately 11:40 p.m. on the 13th.  My arrival in Cincinnati was around 6:30 a.m. on Dec. 14th.  My flight out of Cincy was supposed to be 9:10 a.m.  We were boarded at 9:50 a.m., taxied out and took a place in line and didn't take off until about 10:15 a.m.

Arrived in Columbia SC at 11:30 a.m.  Met by my mom and aunt.  The drive to Johnston was an hour.  Had a bite to eat.

I then napped and napped and napped.  I got up, got dressed, and we went out to a buffet dinner (that all-you-can-eat debacle without sufficient cranberry sauce or "seconds") I complained about yesterday.

Thanks for asking!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:07:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2006, 11:07:56 AM »

I wonder how many people will read today's "subject" line and presume it's a declaratory statement about Ms. McNight's mental state?

I've worked with Ms McKnight!  Worked for me.\, no matter how you read it!

Spoo!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:10:10 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2006, 11:08:44 AM »

When was the last time someone came to your home under professional circumstances, stayed 30 minutes and solved an appliance problem -- including recommending against doing anything unnecessary -- and then charged you only $25?

;D

WOW! You are indeed fortunate! Is this the norm in SC??

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2006, 11:09:03 AM »

Semi-interesting (or not) footnote to my trip east:

My travel companion in seat 2B (I was 2A) was a lady from Cincinnati who works in product development at Procter & Gamble.

She was en route home from a four-day trip to China on business and had, in fact, been travelling about 16 hours when we departed San Francisco.

We spent about an hour of our 4 1/2-hour flight chatting...and talked mostly about bridge, of all things.  That's "Bridge", actually...the card game.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »

WOW! You are indeed fortunate! Is this the norm in SC??

Nope.  My mom had someone come in once to replace fluorescent lights in the house.  There were 10 of them, which she had already purchased.

The guy who came over took 30 minutes.  Charged her $60.

She's done it herself ever since.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2006, 11:11:32 AM »

We spent about an hour of our 4 1/2-hour flight chatting...and talked mostly about bridge, of all things.  That's "Bridge", actually...the card game.

I'd rather talk about gin, either one.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »

We started talking when the stewperson asked us if we wanted something to drink and I asked for a mug of coffee with a generous splash of Bailey's.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2006, 11:15:49 AM »

Wow!  It's so strange to see PST time on my posts while I'm posting on EST!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »

DR TPunk:  I keep meaning to say something, but I seem always to be forgetting until I see your avatar on one of your posts.

Has anyone ever mentioned that you look like a European gymnast or ice skater standing on a medals platform in that photo?

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2006, 11:21:07 AM »

Sometimes people call me Gin.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2006, 11:22:09 AM »

On:

Re:THE WANING DAYS OF DECEMBER - NEW
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2006, 05:37:13 PM »  

DearReaderLaura wrote:

DR RonPulliam, are you going to be able to post while you are visiting family for two weeks?

Yes'm.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:22:52 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up