Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RECORDING THE BRAIN  (Read 32338 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:RECORDING THE BRAIN
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2006, 10:39:13 AM »

The album only about a half hour long!  Do you happen to remember how long the show itself was?  Were there (m)any more songs or was the rest of it made up of skits?

My memory is that it was a two-act revue with maybe a running time of two hours, but it was 30 years ago!   There were several sketches, one about a taxi driver.  I liked the cast, which I recall substituted Chip Zien for one of the guys on the recording, and I remember that Jimmy Hammerstein directed it.  There were projections of New York, and that's all I remember.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2006, 10:43:02 AM »

TOD: Bat Boy

That's on my list too!

Also:

DAS BARBECU (which Edisaurus should get!)
King of Hearts
Boy Meets Boy
Lucky Stiff
The Last Session
Rags
Weird Romance
Two by Two

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2006, 10:53:21 AM »

Happy Birthday PennyO and I hope you have a wonderful day filled with delight and surprises!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2006, 10:56:55 AM »

Matt we have had an unusually mild December here also. It was in the upper 40s here last week and that is very unusual and I am not complaining. We have almost no snow on the ground and I suspect we will be having a brown christmas.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2006, 10:57:24 AM »

I see we have made it to page 4!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2006, 10:57:58 AM »

... I suspect we will be having a brown christmas.

Look at it as an opportunity to have Christmas dinner on the patio.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2006, 10:59:47 AM »

Guilty Pleasure soundtrack: Romy and Michelle's high school Reunion

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2006, 11:00:11 AM »

I also have the soundtrack to Michael Collins and Brother McMullen

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2006, 11:00:35 AM »

Look at it as an opportunity to have Christmas dinner on the patio.

Very true...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2006, 11:03:07 AM »

Andrew Sullivan has some guest bloggers on his site for a few weeks. One of them, a Clive Davis (no, not that one) is a Brit jounalist who has his own blog, where he posted his Best Albums of the Year list; it included:

When the Barbican played host to the heroes of Brazil’s Tropicalia movement, the demure singer Gal Costa helped revive memories of Rio’s swinging Sixties. Proving that she is not content to live in the past, she came up with Hoje (Trama), her most assured album in a long time. Writing contributions from the underrated Lokua Kanza gave the bossa-influenced material even greater depth than usual.

Seems JMK is not alone in the world :)

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2006, 11:10:18 AM »

When I checked the calendar today it stated it is is monday... Yep, from my series of unfortunate catastrophes it would support that assessment...

1. I have been up since midnight... THat is what I get for falling asleep watching "IN America".

2. I did finish a christmas present and that would not be considered the catastrophe...

3. I had to work at 730 am... (My normal schedule is 330pm to midnight)

4. About 6 am I heard a crack and ignored it. I went back a few minutes later to get an envelope to make a package and when I pulled the envolope from the top slot of this storage unit, I heard another loud crack.... THe loud crack caused the entire unit to come crashing down and now my computer room is an unholy mess!!! IT looks like Hurricane Dakota has struck!!

5. WORK: Since they were short staffed I have been in every branch library covering for at least an hour... I am not at the architecture branch library and I really wonder why they are even open for there is NO ONE here!! I have information I can waitress but no one to waitress it to!  I have already been to the Chemistry and Health Sciences library and I even did hte outside book drops!!

6. I am bored out of my gourd and I did not even bring any paper to do any writing with....

7.  It is a nice day out and the sun is shining!!

8. Does not want to look at another string of lights or strands of beads for a year!!

9. I wish this puter had speakers so I could listen to something... The silence is driving me batty!

10. I am done with my christmas shopping!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:12:40 AM by DakotaCelt »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2006, 11:21:33 AM »

Andrew Sullivan has some guest bloggers on his site for a few weeks. One of them, a Clive Davis (no, not that one) is a Brit jounalist who has his own blog, where he posted his Best Albums of the Year list; it included:Seems JMK is not alone in the world :)

der Brucer

Jobim himself called Gal's voice "the most perfect instrument" he'd ever heard.  She's unusual for a Brasilian vocalist in that she has less of that sotto voce quality that the better known ones like Astrud, Wanda and Gracinha have.  I personally love her and recommend anything by her!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2006, 11:25:03 AM »

I must say I am a bit concerned about Dan The Man; I've sent a couple of emails to the address I had as well as a few PMs and got no response to either.  I tried looking up a phone number online and failed to find one.  I hope he is all right.
I've written to his work address too DR Elmore.
Nothing.
Yes. I too have been worried.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2006, 11:38:13 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PENNY![/size]

HAVE A FUN DAY![/size] :D

Jane

« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2006, 11:46:10 AM »

DAN THE MAN

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS![/size]

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2006, 11:50:50 AM »

Happy Birthday Dan the Man!

Jane

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »

Amongst my friends this is a very busy day for birthdays, two of whom were bridesmaids in my wedding.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2006, 12:06:52 PM »

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

Cruel Executions!
Federal Judge Rules California Executions Unconstitutional
Friday , December 15, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal judge who imposed a moratorium on executions in California ruled Friday that the state's method of lethal injection is unconstitutional because it violates the ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

California's "implementation of lethal injection is broken, but it can be fixed," U.S. District Judge Jeremy Fogel said.
Fogel said the case raised the question of whether a three-drug cocktail administered by the San Quentin State Prison is so painful that it "offends" the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Fogel's decision came on the same day that Florida Gov. Jeb Bush suspended all executions in that state after a botched execution this week.

Lethal injection is the preferred execution method in 37 states. Last month, a federal judge declared unconstitutional Missouri's injection method, which is similar to California's.

Now, if what we want is quick and painless, get out your knitting needles:

However, considering the large number of folks who seem to be able to do themselves in, seemingly painlessly, with the non-judicious use of alcohol and pills combined, why can't we manage the same for death row?

If the function of the execution is to send a message to others as a deterrent, then it should be public and ghastly. (Giving pain to the condemned's family is an unfortunate part of the deal).

If the function is to ensure that the condemned never gets another chance to take a life, then pills and booze at bedtime should do the trick.

To permit unprofessional needle-jabbing in almost private conditions meets no social purpose.

For that matter, neither hanging or firing squad have been placed off-limits.

der Brucer.

For the record:

A. I believe society has a right to impose capital punishement.

B. As a practical matter, I believe capital punishment should be banned in all but a very few cases -  where a criminal already incarcerated for a capital crime, commits murder.

By simply taking the death penalty off of the table, we could save vast sums of public funds (some of which might then be expended to provide for better trials in the first place). The system seems able to keep miscreants under lock and key for life - let's stick with it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »

I do believe that teh French used it during the French Revolution over 200 years ago

JMK

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2006, 12:23:51 PM »

Amongst my friends this is a very busy day for birthdays, two of whom were bridesmaids in my wedding.  

Dan the Man was a bridesmaid in your wedding?  Who knew?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »

Has anyone else wondered what that catchy little tune is in the Geico commercial with the caveman on the moving walkway in the airport?  Well, wonder no longer:  it's "Remind Me" by Norsky group Royksopp and I just got the album it's off of, "Melody A.M."  If you like techno/trance pop, it's fantastic; it even has a groovy version of "Blue on Blue."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2006, 12:26:55 PM »

I do believe that teh French used it during the French Revolution over 200 years ago

1792 - 1981 (when death penalty was abolished) - last used in 1977)

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2006, 12:32:47 PM »

The French used it into the 20th-Century!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »

I did not realize that they used it well into the last century

Ben

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2006, 12:36:58 PM »

Happy Birthday to the wonderful Penny Orloff!!!

Ben

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »

and grand birthday wishes to Dan the Man!

Ben

« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2006, 12:37:52 PM »

We will be off soon to a volunteer appreciation party. Much fun and mirth is expected, along with good food and drink.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2006, 12:52:37 PM »

Have a lovely time at the party Ben...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2006, 12:57:53 PM »

The French used it into the 20th-Century!

For those of an inquiring nature, may I recommend a most fascinating read I enjoyed immensely:  GUILLOTINE: IT'S LEGEND AND LORE by Daniel Gerould, paper edition, Blast Books, $14.95.  It amused me to no end when I read it about 10 years ago.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2006, 01:08:43 PM »

For those of an inquiring nature, may I recommend a most fascinating read I enjoyed immensely:  GUILLOTINE: IT'S LEGEND AND LORE by Daniel Gerould, paper edition, Blast Books, $14.95.  It amused me to no end when I read it about 10 years ago.

It's only $11.66 at AMAZON

der Brucer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up