Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: O. TANNENBAUM  (Read 30030 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:O. TANNENBAUM
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 07:05:44 AM »

For Ask BK Day: In honor of your turn as theremin virtuoso, have you ever seen the Theremin doumentary?

Would you like to?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 07:07:58 AM »

DR BK

I think you will like The Devil Wears Prada or as it is called in Russia The Devil Wears Pravda. It is an amusing triffle and rises and falls on Meryl Streep being on screen.

The Lady in The Water is the film that M. Knight however you spell his last name  that he finally crashed and burned. Each film after tThe Sixth Sense got worse and worse. I didn't have to see The Village because I knew what the "twist" without seeing the film. I think his ego finally did him. He burned his bridges with Disney after they cancelled the production (I believe they didn;t like the script) and he went elsewhere.

The film was the big bomb of the summer and there was even a book written about it. (Not sure if this was a commercial tie in) From what I understand it doesn;t paint him in a nice light or night.

Terribly sorry you're so down on Shyamalan.  You may be surprised to learn there are some of us who consider "Unbreakable" and "Signs" outright masterpieces.

What is unique about him, though, is that he takes creative gambles.  He's quite extraordinary compared to the mediocrities running rife in Hollywood, mass marketing frippery and horrid remakes of better films.

I wish folks would think more kindly of his sort of risk-taking because his films are imminently watchable and interesting whether you figure out the twists in advance or not.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 07:15:27 AM »

Good morning!

Cooler here today and for the rest of the week, and rain is supposed to move in tonight, but it's nice right now. Still an incredible December!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 07:19:29 AM »

Good morning!

Cooler here today and for the rest of the week, and rain is supposed to move in tonight, but it's nice right now. Still an incredible December!

Yes, and I'm sharing some of that right now.  Of course, it's already cloudy here, and a bit cooler than yesterday.

Temp in Greenville yesterday afternoon was F 79 degrees!

I'm looking at the pond behind my mom's house right now (it's rather close, so it's at least one-third of the view)...the surface is very rippled, and the ducks look as if they are enjoying themselves.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 07:23:46 AM »

Terribly sorry you're so down on Shyamalan.  You may be surprised to learn there are some of us who consider "Unbreakable" and "Signs" outright masterpieces.
Unbreakable, yes.  Signs wasn't as effective for me.

The "problem" has more to do with people's expectations of Shyamalan - after Sixth Sense audiences wanted him to have the "twist" at the end.  Unbreakable didn't twist, not really, so the audiences started saying "Well, I saw that one coming."  Instead of letting him be a storyteller, they demand that he tell a specific type of story, over and over.

My hunch is that, once he breaks free of this pigeonholing, Shyamalan will become a highly regarded filmmaker.  If he can break free, that is.

Remember, it took Brian DePalma quite a while to break free from the expectations his audiences built up during his "Hitchcock" period.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 07:27:47 AM »

Today is my mom's "bridge day" and she was off at 9 a.m.  Will return around 3:30-4 p.m.

So...a nice respite from activity for me....but I don't know how maintains her pace.
She is to be commended, indeed, for both her health and her civic-mindedness!  Most women of her age can hardly lift a hammer, let alone travel around repairing old wooden bridges that have fallen into disrepair.

Oh, wait, maybe you meant the card game.  Never mind.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »

Der Brucer is recovering from his late-nite posting, sleeping in.  Fletcher, loving Dalmatian that he is, is sleeping with him, with his head resting atop der B's.

I'd share a pic, but der B would probably kill me.   ::)

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 07:34:39 AM »

I considered UNBREAKABLE superior to THE SIXTH SENSE actually.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 07:36:29 AM »

I enjoyed THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, but had I seen it in its theatrical run this summer before the premiere of UGLY BETTY on TV, I might have flipped more for PRADA.

BETTY has many parallels to PRADA, but it has the advantage of a continuing storyline and characters that can grow richer with each passing week.

I'll eventually see LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE when I comes on one of the pay cable channels.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 07:37:44 AM »

With  again nothing on TV tonight of interest to me, I'll be DVDing and DVRing it again all evening.

I know there is more MEDIUM in my future, and I'm thinking I'll break open THE ADDAMS FAMILY and watch some of those, too.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »

JMK, I will check the Jewish Jingle Balls tomorrow when I get to my work computer.

One can only hope they were well hung.  (On the Channukah bush).  OK, I guess that doesn't sound so good after all.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 07:43:16 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2006, 07:44:36 AM »

Atlas Shrugged and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I've heard about Atlas Shrugged, at least I've heard the title, but I didn't know what the book is about until I checked over at Wikipedia.  The geniuses of the world go on strike, and run off and disappear?

The moment I read that, it reminded me of Douglas Adams' more elegant solution to the same problem, found in both the novel The Restaurant at the End of the Universe and the television series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  There, instead of the geniuses running away, they admitted that their society was made up of three components: first, the brains of the operations (themselves); second, the people who actually got the work done; and third, everyone else - the market researchers, hair stylists, public telephone sanitizers, that sort of stuff.  And, since so much was being wasted on the third group, the third group was blasted off on a colonizing ship, convinced that they were to settle a new home planet in preparation for the other two groups that would follow in two other ships (they never did, of course, and never had intended to, but were instead wiped out by a plague that was caught from an unsanitized public telephone).  The planet that the third group eventually colonized was, of course, Earth.

None of this is to be found in the film version of Hitchhiker's Guide, which was mainly notable for it's creation of a race of villainous aliens that all looked remarkably like Charles Laughton.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 07:44:56 AM »

And then you both can come to my house for dinner!

;D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 07:45:37 AM »

BTW, I knew the Tannenbaums.  They were a very hamishe family--Milt and Estelle and their lovely children Irving and Margie.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 07:53:36 AM »

I considered UNBREAKABLE superior to THE SIXTH SENSE actually.

I caught part of "The Sixth Sense" on TV last week and was surprised at how effective much of it was.  Still, when the cat is out of the bag...

I think "Unbreakable" is a fascinating character study of a man who truly wonders why he isn't dead...and who realizes his family means more to him than he knew.  It has layers upon layers.

"Signs" moves me in so many ways....I know folks think the premise of aliens "invading" is silly, but they're truly not the point of the film, IMO.  I love the whole "signs" aspect...the things Gibson's wife told him before she passed...the wonderful kids and their personalities...the brother (one of Joaquin Phoenix's most endearing creations).  The shot of the kids and Phoenix sittting on the sofa wearing aluminum foil hats is priceless.

"Swing away, Merrill."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2006, 07:54:21 AM »

AFter work on my way home I am checking out a Sondheim collection of songs that Bruce put together. As I was reading the description I noted a name I had seen elsewhere and I had a hunch I had seen her somewhere else before.

Jane Krakowski's name caught my attention and I remember seeing her on television back in the 80s on the soap "Search for Tomorrow". Actually she had a few scenes, if I remember correctly with Matt ashford.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 07:56:23 AM »

AFter work on my way home I am checking out a Sondheim collection of songs that Bruce put together. As I was reading the description I noted a name I had seen elsewhere and I had a hunch I had seen her somewhere else before.

Jane Krakowski's name caught my attention and I remember seeing her on television back in the 80s on the soap "Search for Tomorrow". Actually she had a few scenes, if I remember correctly with Matt ashford.

You might also remember her stint as Elaine, the hotsy-totsy legal secretary on "Ally McBeal."  She was wonderful.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2006, 07:58:28 AM »

Yep and as Tanya on Another World. I do believe she was also in National Lampoon's Vacation with Chevy CHase and Beverly D'Angelo.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2006, 08:06:41 AM »

You might also remember her stint as Elaine, the hotsy-totsy legal secretary on "Ally McBeal."  She was wonderful.

And she does fine now on 30 ROCK when they find interesting things for her to do. Sometimes, she's wasted, however, but it's not her fault.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2006, 08:07:17 AM »

I'm going to head down now to get a jump on cleaning the den. Then, on to lunch and some DVD viewing.

WBBL.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:07:37 AM by Matt H. »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2006, 08:15:07 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam, your mother sounds like a lovely woman. How old is she?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2006, 08:15:19 AM »

I wonder how Bear and Danise are doing?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2006, 09:06:29 AM »

I caught part of "The Sixth Sense" on TV last week and was surprised at how effective much of it was.  Still, when the cat is out of the bag...

Have you watched the extra "Rules and Clues" contained on the Collector's Edition DVD? It will make you rewatch the entire film just to follow the craftsmanship.

I enjoyed "Signs", much more so than "The Village"; following along with Woody's comment on "expectations", I suspect that if "Signs" had been the first release of a new filmaker it would have been greeted with raves.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »

Have a lovely time visiting Ginny and a have a great holiday!

Thank you, DR DakotaCelt - same to you!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2006, 09:43:14 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam, your mother sounds like a lovely woman. How old is she?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2006, 09:44:33 AM »

Der B:  No, I haven't checked out those extras yet.  I do have the Collector's Edition DVD, so I'll probably give it a look-see in the near future based on your estimable recommendation!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2006, 09:45:10 AM »

For Ask BK:

What do you want Santa Claus to bring you?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2006, 09:47:19 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, after an excellent night's sleep, which I really needed.  Some pacakges to package up and ship, then tonight's session - it looks pretty out - I'm sure it's chilly but the skies are bluer than blue.

Edisaurus: I've seen the Theremin documentary - it's really good.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2006, 10:00:10 AM »

I enjoyed THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, but had I seen it in its theatrical run this summer before the premiere of UGLY BETTY on TV, I might have flipped more for PRADA.

BETTY has many parallels to PRADA, but it has the advantage of a continuing storyline and characters that can grow richer with each passing week.

I haven't seen "Prada," but when the commercials for "Ugly Betty" started playing, I wondered if they might have been "inspired" by the same source material or just a coincidence.  "Ugly Betty" also got me thinking that it's quite similar in concept to "Less Than Perfect" with Sara Rue. ::)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 10:04:37 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2006, 10:09:28 AM »

And since we're so close...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up