Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: GONNA FLY NOW  (Read 50121 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:GONNA FLY NOW
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 05:12:17 AM »

DR jhvw - sounds like you have your plan and are putting it into action.  That's great!  Capricorn is certainly a great aspect in which to move ahead, think big, and make life changes!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 05:12:45 AM »

Page Two Christmas Dance.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 05:12:45 AM »

DRS JOSE, JASON, and JOEY may be E&T - but this J is still around!

There's a conspiracy about!  Watch out!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 05:13:21 AM »

Yes, it's MR BK's mother from the Tabitha pilot....if he was Adam....then Samantha was his MOTHER!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 05:13:49 AM »

There's a conspiracy about!  Watch out!

A vast right chicken wing conspiracy?  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 05:18:44 AM »

TOD:

DVD:  A Chorus Line (I know, I know)....but Cameron English as Paul makes up for a LOT of the lame ass-wrong ass decisions...up next A CHRISTMAS CAROL - The Ballet!!!  Thanks to DR ELMORE!

CD:  Phillip Glass, a 3-CD compilation of his work for Columbia Records.

VCR:  A Study in Terror and Sherlock Holmes movie produced by Herman Cohen in England.   I liked it.  I wonder if DR CP has seen this film?  My guess is he has.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2006, 05:19:36 AM »

Jon Hall & Maria Montez did a lot of Arabian nights style films, although my favorite is NOT from AN - it is COBRA WOMAN!!!

jhvw

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2006, 05:30:35 AM »

Oh yea, I'm making major life changes..and I love it! It's like one big adventure, the world is mine hehe. It's time to grow up, finish school, and keep moving through life in a direction I want to be heading instead of just sitting and spinning my wheels. It's really fun actually, I thought it would be all scary, but it's actually liberating.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2006, 05:32:43 AM »

I LOVED the recording session.  The studio was amazing -- very, very exciting -- and I know that the rest of the cast that was able to make it also had an absolute blast.  Being that for all of us, it was our first real recording experience, I think it was almost overwhelming.  Yet, everyone stepped up to the plate and I have a feeling the CD is going to be quite amazing.  

It was so much fun singing, dancing (myself and cast member Chie were the "army of tappers" that you might hear), and all-around just having a really, really great time.  Hopefully it won't be my last visit to a recording...

As for the one-acts, we are all doing published shows.  On the docket, we have William Saroyan's "Hello Out There;" Christopher Durang's "The Actor's Nightmare;" David Grote's adaptation of Euripides' "Trojan Women" called "The Women of Troy;" Douglas Soderberg's "The Root of Chaos;" Joe Pintauro's "Dirty Talk;" Edward Alan Baker's "A Dead Man's Apartment;" and the one I am directing -- Donald Margulies' "July 7, 1994."  Very different plays with very different styles and purposes...which I think makes for the best kind of one-act festival.  
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

jhvw

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2006, 05:34:47 AM »

You know, it's people on this board and my trip to NYC where I met some of you wonderful people and had a great time with DR Cillaliz that really jump-started my motivation. I got a glimpse of a lifestyle I wanted to live, and by god I'm going to get it. I always get what I want in the end lol, I'm bullheaded and will keep on pushing twords whatever goal I set my eyes on. But seriously, the people on this board are really interesting and inspire me and motivate me to do something better with myself. Thanks guys :) And a real big thanks to Cillaliz! She has been so great to me, I love her.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 05:37:13 AM »

DR JRand56, I too love A STUDY IN TERROR, and I think I have a home-burned DVD of it.  I should see if it's available in England.

I must say, I'm gettin' antsy to hear The Brain, but I hope (hint, hint!) I'll get a copy of the video/DVD as well.  What's run away with my Brain?

I feel like our DR Matt H today; I'm sorting laundry for my return from Toyland and wishing my Cinderella MBarnum was here to do it for me while I munch bonbons and watch the soaps.  And check for dust on the tchochkes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2006, 05:40:06 AM »

Having been so busy, I get to head out and brave the crowds to do some last-minute Christmas shopping...luckily, I only have to get some things for a few people, so it isn't going to break the bank, nor my neck to get out today.  
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2006, 05:41:35 AM »

As for the one-acts, we are all doing published shows.  On the docket, we have William Saroyan's "Hello Out There;" Christopher Durang's "The Actor's Nightmare;" David Grote's adaptation of Euripides' "Trojan Women" called "The Women of Troy;" Douglas Soderberg's "The Root of Chaos;" Joe Pintauro's "Dirty Talk;" Edward Alan Baker's "A Dead Man's Apartment;" and the one I am directing -- Donald Margulies' "July 7, 1994."  Very different plays with very different styles and purposes...which I think makes for the best kind of one-act festival.  

I know two of these writers!  I can't remember if I introduced Chris Durang to BK or not, but I've known him for years, and I met Joe Pintauro several times at parties during the 80s.

Yes, DR jhvw, DR Cillaliz is one of the BEST!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2006, 05:47:28 AM »

... if it works out I'll just give my notice during my vacation and not go back...is that wrong?

If your management would want time for you to transition your duties to a replacement, giving notice and not returning would be unprofessional. If not, I see no problem.

Either way, go out of your way to be gracious, work-history and recommendations mean a lot.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2006, 05:53:09 AM »

Ah - I have done some Christopher Durang - plays that is.  Loved them.

SISTER MARY IGNATIUS EXPLAINS IT ALL FOR YOU - so funny, this is our camel Misty....

THE MARRIAGE OF BETTE & BOO - I played Paul who couldn't speak...

A series of one acts including a terrific parody of THE GLASS MENAGERIE that was on the BUTTON!!!

DR ELMORE if I ever get to New York, I must be introduced to Mr Durang...it will make my day!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2006, 05:54:17 AM »

You do have your work cut out for you, DR CASON - Durang is certainly a writer to whose work the audience must bring something.

And of course I am now reminded of Jean Kerr's line:  When I am told I must "bring something" to a play, I always bring a book.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2006, 05:54:45 AM »

AND - DR CILLA LIZ has a tower!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2006, 05:55:51 AM »

I'll be roasting a turkey tonight.

No, I don't mean der Brucer.  I mean we bought a fresh turkey at the market a couple of days ago, and it needs roasting.

I'm not sure what I'm going to serve with it, however.

Now that's a culinary challenge - whatever to serve with Roast Turkey???? Hey - I'll even eat Brussels sprouts.

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2006, 06:01:29 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.  Today is my office day; I have lots of work to do!

JRand, I am glad DR Sandra posted one of her stories. They are hilarious. Perhaps on Christmas Day I will post the photos from our church pageant. The precious children would not keep still, and I have several bad photos.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2006, 06:06:09 AM »

DRs CASON & JHVW - those youngsters are IN the House!

I think they're ringers! They write too well for their proffered backgrounds.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2006, 06:11:33 AM »

For your morning consideration:
NRO
The Passion of Two Filmmakers
What would you get if you took Mad Mel into the M. Night?

By Thomas Hibbs

What do I want for Christmas? A contractual agreement between M. Night Shyamalan and Mel Gibson to make their next five films together. Collaborators on Signs, Shyamalan and Gibson together have, in the midst of a craven Hollywood culture that idolizes superficial novelty, the rare ability to deliver the unusual and the truly novel. It is interesting and instructive that their independence is intimately connected to their preoccupation with the big questions about human existence and with possible spiritual responses to those questions. But they also suffer from certain deficiencies — Shyamalan from increasingly impoverished plots and Gibson, aside from his offensive rants, from an inordinate reliance on explicit violence.

What Shyamlan is getting at in his creative reworking of sub-genres of the ghost story or the comic super-hero is akin to what Gibson focuses on in his use of unfamiliar dialects: the modern phenomena, or affliction, that each director has labeled “forgetfulness.” They share a sense that the contemporary world exists in a state of forgetfulness about the most important human and perhaps divine realities. Imagining what their combined efforts might bring is likely no more than a matter of wistful speculation. But comparing them helps us to see more clearly the strengths and weaknesses of two of our most gifted contemporary filmmakers.

Of course, it could be that the collaboration would backfire. Shyamalan and Gibson might cancel out each other’s virtues instead of their vices. We could end up with the mythic pabulum of Lady in the Water infused with lengthy torture scenes. But it’s Christmas. I’m hopeful.

An interesting read.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2006, 06:16:25 AM »

Most congested cities in US (times are annual hours lost due to congestion)

Fourth place Atlanta 67 hours:

Grand Champion - LA - 93 hours

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2006, 06:24:30 AM »

Button, Button,....who's got the Button!

This gent

peformed O Holy Night on TV this morning. He obviously was miking over his pre-recorded background.

Well, what worked on the album sure fizzled on TV.

At the end of the song he landed the final note and then the orchestra kept on going - it almost sounded like a bridge, then wound down and stopped. The poor guy never really got the hand he deserved.

der Brucer

Regular readers of HHW sure do become arm-chair critics!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2006, 06:56:58 AM »

Well....he probably got the same money no matter what.

With roasted turkey....how about corn on the cob?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2006, 07:05:09 AM »

With roasted turkey....how about corn on the cob?

Nah...if corn, then corn pudding.

der Brucer

Corn on the cob is a treat only when it's fresh picked.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2006, 07:13:29 AM »

Good morning!

It's raining and dreary outside, but at least it's not really cold. I have my usual Friday errands plus a couple of other stops to make, and while I may get wet, at least I won't be shivering.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »

My lord! MGM has released the heck out of ROCKY. This must be the FOURTH different DVD release for this film. I like it (still thought the Oscar that year should have gone to ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN or NETWORK), but I don't know how many more times they are going to remaster and reissue this movie.

Of course, there's got to be the inevitable Blu-ray HD release of the movie. I suspect we'll see that in 2007.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2006, 07:20:17 AM »

I had one of those truly wretched nights last night where I simply could not turn off my brain. After two hours and no sleep, I got up and watched some television, and then lay back down on first the sofa for two hours and then in bed for another hour or so.

Hopefully, I'll sleep like the dead tonight. I look like the dead now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2006, 07:20:32 AM »

Most congested cities in US (times are annual hours lost due to congestion)

Fourth place Atlanta 67 hours:

Grand Champion - LA - 93 hours

der Brucer

If only they'd do another study about the physiological congestion created by the pollutants of vehicular congestion.

Would LA still come out on top?  I think so....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2006, 07:21:54 AM »

A very rainy, grey day out of doors this morning in Johnston, South Carolina.

I had ham and grits for breakfast.  And toast.  And orange juice.  And coffee.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up