Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES  (Read 41610 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES
« Reply #300 on: December 29, 2006, 08:22:58 PM »

After it finished, I watched several high definition trailers of Fox movies coming soon to Blu-ray. I didn't see any I particularly wanted. Some I had in SD and that's good enough; others like THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN were bad enough for me to stay away from in ANY format.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #301 on: December 29, 2006, 08:26:04 PM »

Page Eleven Roquefort Dance!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #302 on: December 29, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »

...And the pizza has just been ordered...

-Of course, by the time it gets here, I probably won't be hungry anymore...  Probably... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #303 on: December 29, 2006, 08:27:13 PM »

Well, I gotta tell you, the first twenty minutes of this thing are riveting, provocative, and so realistic it's unbelievable - strike that - it's believable.  I'll have a full report, but I must get back to it right now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #304 on: December 29, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »

I keep forgetting I have these pizzas that David Wechter had sent to me for my birthday, sent in dry ice, and they look quite yummilicious and perhaps tomorrow I shall make one.

Matt H.

« Reply #305 on: December 29, 2006, 08:28:28 PM »

I finished the evening by putting back in the Blu-ray version of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

I watched "The Making" of documentary on the disc. It wasn't about the making of the film, as it turns out, but rather the creation of the theater piece. I have to admit, I did learn a few things about the creation of the show that I didn't already know - the replacing of the original Phantom during rehearsals, the replacing of the original lyricist. I never really knew why there were two billed lyricists for the show, and now I know.

Cillaliz

« Reply #306 on: December 29, 2006, 08:30:59 PM »

I think I need to go to bed.  Night all

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #307 on: December 29, 2006, 08:31:45 PM »

A rave review for the Skinner/Ripley CD.

http://www.nytheatre.com/nytheatre/cdshop/cd_shop.htm

FJL

« Reply #308 on: December 29, 2006, 08:47:46 PM »

We just got back from our second viewing of Dear Friend Milla's cabaret act at Danny's.  A little crowded, but that's good for Milla.

FJL

« Reply #309 on: December 29, 2006, 08:51:36 PM »

Nice review.  

In an odd coincidence, Seth Bisen-Hersh, the critic who wrote the review, was the subject of some conversation at dinner last night with Glenn Slater and his lovely wife Wendy Wilf.  What are the odds of that?  (I told you it was an odd coincidence.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 08:52:25 PM by FJL »

Matt H.

« Reply #310 on: December 29, 2006, 08:55:11 PM »

I'm heading for bed now, too.

Good night, all!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #311 on: December 29, 2006, 09:03:23 PM »

Isn't it Thelma Ritter who says flings is wonderful things?

Yes, on here:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #312 on: December 29, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »

- and I believe this execution should never have happened.

You're probably right - should have just shot him in his spider hole.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #313 on: December 29, 2006, 09:14:54 PM »

The wrong has been done!
Shame!

And what "right" would you have had imposed on the Iraqui government?

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #314 on: December 29, 2006, 09:17:26 PM »

BK - I got the pdf's.  No problem opening them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #315 on: December 29, 2006, 09:29:37 PM »

Hmmm.. Pizza.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #316 on: December 29, 2006, 09:40:57 PM »

News Analysis: Joy of capture muted at end
By Jeff Zeleny
Published: December 29, 2006

CRAWFORD, Tex.: The capture of Saddam Hussein three years ago was a jubilant moment for the White House, hailed by President Bush in a televised address from the Cabinet Room. The execution of Hussein, though, seemed hardly to inspire the same sentiment.

Since his arrest on Dec. 13, 2003, Hussein has gradually faded from view, save for his courtroom outbursts and writings from prison. The growing chaos and violence in Iraq has steadily overshadowed the torturous rule of Hussein, who for more than two decades held a unique place in the politics and psyche of the United States, a symbol of the manifestation of evil in the Middle East.

Now, what could have been a triumphal bookend to the American invasion of Iraq has instead been dampened by the grim reality of conditions on the ground there. Hussein's hanging means that the ousted leader has been held accountable for his misdeeds, fulfilling the American war aim most cited by the White House after Iraq's weapons of mass destruction proved nonexistent.

But that war is now edging toward its fifth year, and the sectarian violence that has surged independent of any old Sunni or Baathist allegiances to Hussein has raised questions about what change, if any, his death might bring.

"Saddam's face has been on this process from the beginning and here goes that face," said Bruce Buchanan, a professor of government at the University of Texas at Austin. "But in many respects, he's a bit player now."

Even as a bit player, though, the specter of Hussein remained intimately entwined with Bush and his father, George H. W. Bush. Two years after the Persian Gulf war, Hussein ordered an assassination attempt on the elder Bush, an act of spite that the 43rd president would never forget.

"There's no doubt his hatred is mainly directed at us," the current president said, speaking to a Republican fund-raising crowd in Houston on Sept. 26, 2002. "This is the man who tried to kill my dad."

For his part, Hussein referred to the younger Bush as "son of the viper." He delivered a famous snub of the 41st president, constructing a mosaic of the elder Bush's face on the floor of the Rashid Hotel, perfectly positioned to be repeatedly stepped on. After the American troops reached Baghdad, they crushed the mosaic.

When Hussein was captured, the president said: "Good riddance, the world is better off without you." But he dismissed suggestions that a family grudge played a role in shaping his Iraq policy or influenced his decision to go to war. "My personal views," he said, "aren't important in this matter."

But Buchanan, a longtime observer of the Bush political family in Texas, said that these were no ordinary archenemies and that setting aside personal views entirely seemed impossible.

"I think the president will see this as justice done and may well feel some sense of vindication, in part because of the attempt on his father's life," he said. "It's definitely part of the drama."

Here in Crawford, where the president is spending the week between Christmas and New Year's, aides planned for how the White House would respond to Hussein's execution. They quickly ruled out the idea of putting the president in front of television cameras, fearful of sending a message that Bush was crowing or that the United States was orchestrating the execution, which officially was carried out by the Iraqi government.

But a senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss internal strategy, also acknowledged that the challenges in Iraq contributed to the president's decision to simply issue a brief written statement after the execution. The White House concluded that even a development as dramatic as Hussein's hanging could not be used to renew support for the war.

"Americans have already taken that into account," said Frank Newport, the editor in chief of the Gallup Poll. "The benefits of deposing Saddam Hussein are far exceeded by the cost of the war."

Indeed, a Gallup poll taken Dec. 8 to 10 showed that 64 percent of Americans said the costs of the war outweighed the benefits. Only 33 percent disagreed, saying the benefits — including the ouster of Hussein — outweighed the costs.

It is a striking change in thinking, Newport said, considering that since the first Gulf war a wide majority of Americans have supported the removal of Hussein. It was a chief reason, he said, that polls showed that more than 60 percent of Americans initially supported the war in Iraq.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 09:43:54 PM by François »

François

« Reply #317 on: December 29, 2006, 09:44:47 PM »

(Page 2 of 2)

In June 1993, after the failed attempt by Iraqi government agents on the life of the elder Bush, 53 percent of Americans said of Hussein in a Gallup Poll that they supported "the extreme action of having him assassinated to remove him from power," while 37 percent said they did not.

Those sentiments, of course, were expressed a full decade before the invasion that began the current war.

Senator John Kerry, the Massachusetts Democrat who ran against Bush in 2004 and has become increasingly vocal in his criticism of the war, said executing Hussein was hardly worth the cost.

"To go to war to kill one guy? Please," said Kerry, who recently returned from a visit to Iraq. He added that the execution had become "almost a sideshow to the fundamental dilemma and quandary of Iraq."

"What will not be resolved by his death is the political resolution that is critical to changing the direction and dynamic of the country," he added. "Those stakes remain fundamentally the same."

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #318 on: December 29, 2006, 09:49:48 PM »

When I was preteen, the Victorian Banjo Club here in Melbourne would have had thousands of members - many of whom played the ukelele or the mandolin.

My grandmother was a member of an all-girl uke band when she was young. (Stop me if I've told this story!) My cousin, who doesn't take care of things, had tons of pictures that she took from my grandmother's home when she was moved to a nursing home, includinghe picture of the band that I coveted. Of course, she has no idea where it is now. But it was a wonderful picture of the band, all standing on top of milk cans holding their ukeleles. Underneath, my grandmother had written ""Raised On Milk".

She used to call me every year on my birthday, play happy birthday to me on the uke and then hang up without saying a word. The first year that I didn't receive a phone call from her, I was very depressed. After that, my mom started calling me on my birthday and playing Happy Birthday on her Casio keyboard.

I was working one day with the head of TBS on-air. It was my birthday and my mother called, so I put her on speaker so he could hear. He had lost his mother when he was young, so he thought it was a wonderful thing to have a mom to call you and sing to you. When his birthday came around, my mom indulged my wishes by calling him and singing to him, too. (She's such a good sport---if not a particularly good singer.) Now it's become somewhat of a tradition!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #319 on: December 29, 2006, 09:50:53 PM »

I don't cross out either....the names stay in until I have to buy a new book.  :-\
I don't cross out either. It just seems wrong.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

François

« Reply #320 on: December 29, 2006, 09:55:18 PM »

I don't cross out either. It just seems wrong.

Do you think Mr Bush All Mighty is going to cross Saddam's name in his book?!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #321 on: December 29, 2006, 09:56:16 PM »

I was on the road when the big news story hit and didn't hear about it until I got home.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #322 on: December 29, 2006, 09:56:31 PM »

Lovely Story DR Edi.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #323 on: December 29, 2006, 09:58:25 PM »

I doubt he could have written it in the first place! Both name have two syllables.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2006, 09:58:29 PM »

Ukulele Ike Cliff Edwards would have loved that story too!

François

« Reply #325 on: December 29, 2006, 09:58:45 PM »

The ukulele one that is!

François

« Reply #326 on: December 29, 2006, 10:00:03 PM »

I doubt he could have written it in the first place! Both name have two syllables.
Instead of writing the name, he pasted a picture!

Remember the "playing cards"?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 10:06:23 PM by François »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #327 on: December 29, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »

I suspect he was not on the White House Christmas card list.

I hope Iran and North Korea are taking notice!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #328 on: December 29, 2006, 10:02:43 PM »

Please...the man has an MBA from Harvard!

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #329 on: December 29, 2006, 10:02:50 PM »

LOL François.  Yep!
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up