Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WELCOME TO 2007!  (Read 24048 times)

Tomovoz

Re:WELCOME TO 2007!
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 12:53:05 AM »

TOTD:  Damien Leith. Winner of Australian Idol.  After the past three years "pop" success stories - Damien is quite a surprise. He can sing! I've not seen a single second of the Idol programme.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »

They dropped like WUSSBURGER flies.  Well, at least we got to page two - that will do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 12:54:57 AM »

I've also developed a new appreciation for some of the post "Crowded House" work by the Brothers Finn.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 12:56:37 AM »

Who are these six GUESTS and why are they just sitting there like so much fish, instead of joining in the FUN?

Tomovoz

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 01:01:07 AM »

Time to find a movie to watch.

We're hoping for more rain tonight or tomorrow. The dogs can do without the thunder! I would not have known about "Rescue Remedy" had it not been for the dog lovers of HHW.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 01:06:25 AM »

I got distracted and was surfing the net.  Sorry. ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 01:07:57 AM »

I have discovered that I have become incredibly addicted to Sondheim in the last year

EVERYBODY should become incredibly addicted to Sondheim! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2007, 01:11:06 AM »

I'm getting tired.  Probably that sip of champagne I had.

George

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2007, 01:19:24 AM »

Yesterday morning, I wrote:
And now I must shower, shave and dress.  Then I want to go shopping and find a new jacket...something light but will keep me warm and dry.  I have a couple of heavy winter jackets, but I rarely need them.  

The regular jacket that I have now is several years old (my mom got it for me for Christmas and now she hates it).  Anyway, a couple of the snaps no longer stay closed and it's just annoying, so I must find a new jacket.

Well, I did go shopping, but I never found a coat that I liked...or even one that fit. :-\ But I did find a pair of shoes at the Bass outlet store in the Centralia Outlet Mall.  They were originally priced at $89.99!  HOWEVER, they were only one of four styles in the entire store that were 75% off!!  And since I liked the style, I bought a pair.  With tax, the grand total for the $90 pair of shoes was $24.27!  That's one heck of a deal! :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 01:22:10 AM »

Someone's car alarm or house alarm has been blaring for about ten minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 01:22:36 AM »

I suppose I shall toddle off to the bedroom environment and try to sleep.

George

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2007, 01:23:39 AM »

I'm getting tired.  Probably that sip of champagne I had.

At the restaurant, my niece (who's 22 years old) and my sister (who's much older ::)) both had red apple martinis.  Both of them started feeling a little sleepy even before they finished their drinks.  Fortunately, neither was driving...and neither actually got drunk.  They had the drinks with their meals and were quite coherent during the entire evening.  Just got a little sleepy.

George

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2007, 01:26:40 AM »

Someone's car alarm or house alarm has been blaring for about ten minutes.

When I lived at an apartment (up until two and a half years ago or so), there was a car whose alarm would go off at least once a week and sometimes stay on for more than an hour!  No one could be bothered turn it off!  It wasn't very close to my place, so it wasn't blaringly loud to me, but still it was noticeable...even with my TV on.  I'm glad I only lived there for the year and a half or so that I did.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:27:55 AM by George »

George

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2007, 01:30:06 AM »

Where I'm living now (and have been for only two and a half months), I've never heard a car alarm, but the Tumwater fire department is right across the street to the entrance of the condo complex.  I, however, live at the back end of the complex.  I have heard emergency vehicles twice (I think), but again, since I'm not really that close, it hasn't been a problem.  We'll see what it's like after a few years. :)

George

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2007, 01:37:57 AM »

Well, it's time for me to hit the hay.  Good night, BK. 8)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! (again)

FJL

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2007, 05:48:36 AM »

I'm caught up and ready to start a new year!

FJL

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2007, 05:58:49 AM »

TOD:  Musically primarily, Duncan Sheik and Spring Awakening.  I do kid the Spring Awakening rhyming, which is an easy target - but really because the lyricist has gotten away (with the NY theater critics, anyway) with what for many decades has been considered sloppiness, mainly by having found a concept that the critics believe suits the style, and in Duncan Sheik a composer who works well with this lyric style.

And that's as much sense as I'll try to make of it on a New Year's morning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 06:21:23 AM »

The SA lyrics intrigue me, DR FJL, and remind me of the rhymes in a production of CINDERELLA set in Italy that DR ELMORE orchestrated and that I found on tape.  Nothing but forced rhymes, it becomes amusing after awhile and ANNOYING a short time later.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2007, 06:22:45 AM »

2007 is here.

TOD:

Helen Shapiro - a Jew for Jesus who crashed DR TOMovOZ's cd burner.

Royksopp - written about by DR JMK.  

I recently purchased SONDHEIM AT THE MOVIES, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2007, 06:23:15 AM »

TCM is showing a lot of 50's sci fi today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2007, 06:25:18 AM »

Here is Mr BK's landlord exercising his vocal abilities.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av0Gsnjn5jw

As for Mr William Gaunt being white haired now....DR CP, so am I, so am I...   ;D

td

• td
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2007, 06:37:25 AM »

HAPPY 2007 TO ONE AND ALL!

Like BK, I too, attempted to watch THE ILLUSTRATED MAN.  I tried to take it in in one single sitting, but there was just no way!  I can remember watching it on late night tv throughout the 1970s, but then I didn't realize how slowly it flows. . .Bloom looks lovely, Steiger looks (pardon the expression) F-A-T (check out the special feature on his illustrating) and Drivas looks cute in his birthday suit - BUT, as BK said, the film is a mess with a wonderful score.
I also watched, and loved, THE BLACK DAHLIA in the same way one would love a Warner Brothers cartoon.  It's over the top, sometimes poorly acted (Hillary Swain has TWO Oscars?!?!?!?), often incomprehensible (unless one has thorough knowledge of Ellroy's novel) but ALWAYS goregous to look at!  The dvd is simply stunning; there's a great movie in Ellroy's novel, this just isn't it.
Then I saw OPERATION CROSSBOW, quite possibly the best FILM I watched over the weekend.   It moves, it has fascinating situations and characters, an all-star cast and a fiery finale which literally saves the modern world.  
I've listened, nearly constantly, to the DREAMGIRLS soundtrack, David Campbell's THE SWING SESSIONS and the 2006 London Revival of EVITA (Philip Quast fans take note).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2007, 06:41:47 AM »

I like OPERATION CROSSBOW, but my DVD is P/S.  The only place I have seen it in widescreen is on TCM.

FJL

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »

In case "Sandwiches are made to be broken" doesn't catch on as a catchphrase, and likewise "Dare to glare," I'm going to float a new hair dye product to MAKE your hair white or grey with the slogan "White and gray are distingue."  Which would work if only I knew how to put the accent on the final e, but may be doomed to oblivion because of my lack of computer skills.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2007, 06:58:32 AM »

Doesn't matter about the accent mark, DR FJL.

I work with a girl who calls the Rider-Waite Tarot deck, the Rider Wyatt, and transposes most of the consonants in every word.  

The grave mark would confuse her and many others to NO END.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »

Mr. Drivas' romp in the lake in ILLUSTRATED MAN was one of the formative images of my yoot, as discussed in a post several days ago.  And I was sort of fascinated by Mr. Steiger as well back then somehow.  I believe Mr. Steiger's rear nudity made it to the Tv screen when I saw it while Mr. Drivas' did not, perhaps because Mr. Steiger's rear was covered with tattoos???

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2007, 07:06:43 AM »

New Year Monday greetings!  What a great partay here at HHW last night - sorry to have turned into a pumpkin shortly after midnight EST.

Today is Rose Bowl day - GO BLUE!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2007, 07:07:49 AM »

I'm watching Rachael Ray's talk show for the first time.  I'd only seen her on the Food Network before.  She seems charming.  Why do so many people dislike her?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2007, 07:14:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  It was another liesurely block of time between New Year's Eve and Day, and probably the last for a while.  I've been having a self-indulgent interlude for the past week, and tomorrow I'm back to a busy regime, I hope.  I have little plans today except for dinner with Cathie and Alice, so I may do some tidying, catch up on the Netflix shipments, and maybe start this year's IRS calculations.

TOD:  
  Anthony Warlow

Has anyone heard this wonderful album?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2007, 07:17:44 AM »

As far as musical discoveries go, 2006 marked the first time I heard Savage Garden.
I also found The Poverty Neck Hillbillies.
Springtsteen's Seeger Sessions cd and dvd marked a revelation.
Alison Moyet's Voice cd was also a revelation.
And then there's Jennifer Hudson - her solos on the soundtrack of DREAMGIRLS are divine.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up