Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKING IT UP  (Read 26311 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:SHAKING IT UP
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2007, 09:13:44 AM »

Boy, am I having fun googling old rockers.  Who'd have known that Dee Dee Sharp apparently had an "answer" song to Gene McDaniels' A Hundred Pounds of Clay" entitled "Two Hundred Pounds of Clay".  I think one of Mr. Kimmel's divas should record it on the next Guy Haines album, with Guy singing A Hundred Pounds of Clay and the dive responding with Two Hundred Pounds of Clay.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2007, 09:17:04 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - As for where I'm sleeping...  I'm sleeping in my bedroom... On a surprisingly comfortable Aero-Bed.  -My roommate has one for guests, and since we don't have any guests right now...  It's a full size "mattress", and it's one of those "double-decker" ones, so I'm not sleeping on the floor.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2007, 09:17:38 AM »

Ron, I believe I had a grey London Fog jacket that my mother had given me a while back, but I think I pitched it when I moved because it no longer fit. Guess I should've kept it. I didn't know London Fog had become iconic.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2007, 09:18:11 AM »

I do love doing the Lambeth Walk, though.

I can just visualize it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »

Ron, I believe I had a grey London Fog jacket that my mother had given me a while back, but I think I pitched it when I moved because it no longer fit. Guess I should've kept it. I didn't know London Fog had become iconic.

It may be that I'm simply romanticizing it a bit.

But I'd LOVE to find another.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2007, 09:20:09 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - As for where I'm sleeping...  I'm sleeping in my bedroom... On a surprisingly comfortable Aero-Bed.  -My roommate has one for guests, and since we don't have any guests right now...  It's a full size "mattress", and it's one of those "double-decker" ones, so I'm not sleeping on the floor.

That's good to know, even if you HAVE swept up all the dust bunnies.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »

Ron, London Fog is still out there.  I googled "London Fog Clothing" and it brought up some places where it can be had.  London Fog is apparently the brand of Londontown Corp.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »

Ron P - How did you find that picture of me as Lucy in CHARLIE BROWN?  I thought I'd had all those destroyed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2007, 09:23:52 AM »

The Lambeth Walk midi-style.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »

Ron, London Fog is still out there.  I googled "London Fog Clothing" and it brought up some places where it can be had.  London Fog is apparently the brand of Londontown Corp.

Oh, yes.  Lots of listings.  But nothing "classic" in style in the offing.

I'm afraid the jacket I want has gone the way of the VW bug.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2007, 09:25:05 AM »

Re: last night's episode of MEDIUM.

Another really good show.

I must say though when i read the description it sounded a lot like the other dream episode (that one featured alison and her middle daughter both having dreams (bridget) and this one was with alison and ariel (older daughter).

I do like when they include the kids because i find it very interesting. Although it also makes me wonder how much this really affects them.

Anyhow last night's show was a good one, especially because it was not obvious to me what direction the show was heading in.

Although I did think that they didn't have enough scenes with her boss.  He sort of came out of nowhere since he is usually in a lot more scenes.

What I wonder about the kids' abilities on the show is if they're following what the real Alison Dubois' kids can do or is that part total fiction.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2007, 09:25:45 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam (again) - As for your garage encounter yesterday... Good for you!  I mean, if the lady had indeed been hit by someone who lived in your complex, and she knew that the car was in the garage - which would most probably mean that the owner was home - then why didn't she just pick up the phone and call someone - the owner, the insurance company, etc.  And is she had to sneak in to the garage in the first place... Sounds like something was up.

While walking around here in NYC, I've seen some signs posted on building lobby doors, something to the effect of:

"Dear Tenants: Please realize that is not rude for you NOT to let someone else into the building.  If they live here, they should have their key/security card with them, and they should use it.  And if they do not have their key/security card, then they can pick up the phone and call the landlord."
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2007, 09:26:03 AM »

Ron P - How did you find that picture of me as Lucy in CHARLIE BROWN?  I thought I'd had all those destroyed.

That's a rather famous photo by photographer Bill Brandt.

George

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2007, 09:28:19 AM »

A visit to the Chub-inator's website uncovers another dance sensation (well, maybe not exactly a sensation) that I vaguely remember...The Mess Around.  I couldn't begin to tell you how it was done.

Just make sure you don't get caught. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2007, 09:30:01 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam (and again) - As for London Fog...  What size do you wear?  And exactly which coat do you want?  The waist-length one?  or the "rain coat"/duster type?  My father tends to buy a couple of those each year since they're always on sale at the PX.  My brothers and I used to get at least one of them each year for Christmas.  I know they've updated their styles over the years, but some of the classics are still out there.  Oh!  And I've seen them at Sym's too.  -Where an educated consumer is our best customer.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »

DR DakotaCelt - Hope your sinus infection goes away soon.  ~~~FEEL BETTER VIBES~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2007, 09:30:54 AM »

My training on the new AV equipment has been cancelled for today, due to "technical difficulties."  Let's hope they get is all resolved before 1:30pm, Tuesday, January 16, 2007, which is the next time I'm scheduled to present in that room.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2007, 09:31:14 AM »

I do love doing the Lambeth Walk, though.

The one time I went to London, we actually walked along South Lambeth!  We never were able to find the actual Lambeth Street...or lane...or boulevard...or whatever it is. ;)

George

« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2007, 09:32:54 AM »

Off to work (note to self...shower first)!  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2007, 09:34:08 AM »

The one time I went to London, we actually walked along South Lambeth!  We never were able to find the actual Lambeth Street...or lane...or boulevard...or whatever it is. ;)

Here's a bit of Wikipedia trivia about this topic!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2007, 09:41:14 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

When I was nine or ten years old, I remember being thrilled that I had saved up enough money to buy "Let's Disco".  It was an LP and Book combo.  And, yes, it was put out by K-Tel!  The book had pics/demos of the various dances, and one of the LPs (I think there it was a double set), had some instruction.  I remember being able to do the first one in the book which was the "Bus Stop", I believe.  However, the more "advanced" ones...  I just couldn't figured out how you got from one picture to the next.  ;)  -However, that was also when I learned what the term "ball change" meant.

*Oh!  And the song that was used during the instruction part of the recording was "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me".  Of course, being the precocious pre-teen that I could be at times, I always did an aural double take... "Funky" ?  ... There were times when I thought they were singing something else... "Funky"?!?!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 09:42:52 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2007, 09:46:19 AM »

When I was in high school, we learned all the "new" dances in gym class. I remember doing the Hustle and the Bump, don't remember many others. It was in the prime of disco days.  

I still say if everyone danced like we did then we'd all be skinny

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2007, 09:46:32 AM »

Or have lots of broken hips

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2007, 09:48:38 AM »

Topic of the Day continued...

The one summer I played on the Annabel Lee in Richmond - lunch and dinner cruises up and down the James River, I learned all about "The Shag".  We always had requests for "Shag" music.  Thankfully, most of the stuff on our set list could be modified via a tempo change into a Shag song.  But, Boy! did we get some Shag Enthusiasts from time to time!

And then there was that one Wedding Reception Cruise where we played "The Electric Slide" for almost 40 minutes!...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2007, 09:56:05 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2007, 10:16:42 AM »

Any Army private (female), who was a classmate of mine in the Defense Information School Journalism course in Indianapolis back in 1972, and I created a dance we called "the Dawg."

It was a basic hustle dance, but there was a move that caused more than a few stares, glares, etc.  It was the raising of one leg as if at a fire hydrant.

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2007, 10:23:33 AM »

DR TPunk, re: the CLOSER, I think DR MattH said that it would not begin again until the summer.

It's interesting but this season did not start here until september. But we got the 2 hour finale as our season finale in december.  

Now i just have to wait for them to finally show this season of nip/tuck. So frustrating. But last time i checked their site it said they would definitely show it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2007, 10:28:01 AM »

Well... Time for me to do something today, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »

How about two hundred pounds of Cassius Clay?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2007, 10:42:35 AM »

What a morning!  I haven't stopped - three huge boxes to package up, several little ones, had to reorder the Skinner/Ripley CD (and hope I don't sell out before they're repressed - seven days turnaround), and am having major payroll service problems.  I agreed to help out our pal Rupert Holmes, who had to record some demos for his new show Dorian.  He's not a signator to AFTRA and I am, so I said I'd use Kritzerland and we'd go through the payroll service for him.  So, we sent the paperwork to the company that did the Skinner/Ripley payroll and they can't do it - it's a one-woman operation and her husband is sick and she doesn't have the time.  Unbelievable.  So, I'm running around trying to find another payroll service - the big ones want Kritzerland to have liability insurance which, of course, we don't, and I'm not going to get any in the near future, since WE'RE a one-man operation.   Man.  Next time, no favors.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up