Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE APOSTROPHE  (Read 28799 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE APOSTROPHE
« on: January 06, 2007, 12:44:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were filled with apostrophes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently on the lecture circuit with The Apostrophe According To The Cows.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 01:06:52 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE APOSTROPHE
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 12:47:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: INAMORATA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 12:48:34 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  Sad to be all alone in the world.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:49:49 AM »

I am very tiiired.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 01:36:11 AM »

Word of the day. It's a song by Gene Pitney.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 01:45:46 AM »

Strange - I've been to Europe about ten times but the trip that came to mind was one of only a seven hour drive about 15 years ago - when I first met my half brother and his family.  Suddenly I had a whole new family and we have been "close" ever since. We grew up in such different areas with seemingly different influences but have so very much in common. The drive was one of excitment and apprehension! How do you introduce yourself to people who don't even know you exist let alone know you are a blood relative.
My half brother was the first member of my "birth" family with whom I had contact. I met my Mother and Father later. For me it was an amazing journey - a journey much more about heart, emotion and discovery of self than about geography.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:29:01 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 03:32:08 AM »

My journeys overseas in this century have been to North America twice and to Europe twice. These more recent trips have been wonderful in terms of scenery etc but has been the people (friends) in the UK, France, Canada and the U S of A that have made those journeys so worthwhile.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 03:44:57 AM »

Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
While his INAMORATA watched from a table next to the dance floor
And munched on carrot sticks in a way that the strawberry blonde
Found disgusting.

C R U N C H !
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 03:59:38 AM »

There have been trips, many trips, that I have taken.

Without drugs.

(Somebody had to say it.)

There was the drive a little over three years ago that der Brucer and I took, from the left coast to the right, with five dogs in the car and the belt of Orion in the night sky pointing to our destination, our new home.

There was our first trip to Europe together, on the morning of a major earthquake, the first time I'd ever been in the air, which I've always thought would be a nice story I should title "Leaving Terra Firma."

For some reason, our trip to Cincinnati remains highly memorable, but not for the food.

The cruise in the Caribbean had a number of interesting moments, not all of them nice, and one of the characters involved was downright disgusting.

There was the trip to D. C. where I was nearly sidelined by allergies...

The trip to Seattle where it rained, constantly...

The drive into the Sierra Nevadas when my ears got infected and we had to retreat to a lower elevation (this was with my parents and sister, long before I met der B)...

Come to think of it, I've done a lot of travelling over the last half-century.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 04:00:51 AM »

Good morning, Tom!

(At least, it's morning where I am.)

No, Tom has slipped away.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 04:01:32 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 04:31:34 AM »

Early to work.

And Mikey, the terrier/pug, is snoring away behind me.

For such a little dog, he sure is noisy!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 05:01:26 AM »

Travels usually are travails to me.  Don't do it well.

My favorite trips are the times I have been to NYC to see shows!  I loved going to Ireland and spending a day & night in London during the same ten days.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 05:01:58 AM »

Good morning, all!   I've got to stop watching MEDIUM and GHOST WHISPERER: creepy dreams about haunted places provided a poor night of sleep and I ended up with my usual nightmare of trying to finish music by a deadline.  Now I want to go back to bed but I have to go downtown for several hours of TOYLAND edits.  After that, I have some computer work to do.  Tonight, I'm going to a party given by one of the Singing Nun producers, and that's my day.

TOD:  Maybe later.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 05:02:17 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 05:02:19 AM »

It would be wonderful to have the CREATURE cd within a month!

MR BK - is this a television series you are working on?  Or is this a television show that will have only one episode?  I guess I missed where that was talked about.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 05:02:56 AM »

Workin' today.

There's two apostrophes in my post already....I hope that doesn't (three) make in a catastrophe.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 05:03:15 AM »

Party on, DR ELMORE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 05:04:19 AM »

DR RODZINSKI - said TCM last night was showing movies that featured actors who had or would play James Bond.  So we got Sean in THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY and  Roger in CROSSPLOT and Pierce in MARS ATTACKS!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 05:06:07 AM »

Emotions are close to the surface today - do not let them bubble up and miss an opportunity to let bygones be bygones.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 05:07:39 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 05:17:02 AM »

Off to work today, but nothing as exciting as it could be if I were a famous stage star.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 05:17:39 AM »

Inamorata....I think DRMBARNUM sent me a CD with that song on it.  Very nice.

FJL

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 05:37:13 AM »

My most memorable trip was a six-week business stint in Atlanta when I was working on the AT&T divestiture in 1984.  Just had a generally lovely time being in a lovely town and meeting lovely people.

Most memorable recent trip was in 2000 to celebrate my 40th brithday at the same time as Disney was celebrating the year 2000.  We got a room right near Epcot and I could see the big 2000 on the Spaceship Earth ride from our window.  (This was more exciting than I can describe.)  Bad service at the Dolphin hotel, but had a lovely time otherwise.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 06:10:55 AM »

As Liza Elliott says: "How thrilling to be the world's inamorata!"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 06:34:47 AM »

My most memorable trip was a six-week business stint in Atlanta when I was working on the AT&T divestiture in 1984.  Just had a generally lovely time being in a lovely town and meeting lovely people.

I hate to say that it's changed, but it has lost much of its regionality and personality to overdevelopment. Basically the powers that be want it to look like every other town in the US. There are still nice pockets to be found, and some of the redevelopment has been good!

(In our new neighborhood, to conteract all the new condos being built and hundreds more drivers cutting through at a high rate of speed, they have narrowed the roads and built speed tables so it will be safer to walk there. Some people hate it but I think it's great!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 07:28:17 AM »

Good morning!

We have a beautiful spring day here with blue skies and temperatures in the 70s. Spring in January - isn't there a song by that name? If there isn't, there ought to be! I'm living it!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 07:31:52 AM »

1974 - what a horrible year to be an Academy member because I honestly could not have been able to select Best Picture between CHINATOWN and THE GODFATHER PART II. Both are masterpieces; both contain flawless acting, characters so interesting they burst from the screen, superb production design, music, costumes. And both from the same studio! (And the other three choices? LENNY, THE CONVERSATION (another masterpiece), and (oops!) THE TOWERING INFERNO).

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 07:34:24 AM »

I am looking SO forward to watching THE HARDY BOYS this afternoon when I fire up the home theater. I probably should have watched it last night instead of rewatching the Katharine Hepburn interview, but after reading KATE, that interview becomes ever more enlightening.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 07:40:07 AM »

I sympathize with you, DR Elmore. I had a bad dream last night, too, only mine was teaching-oriented. Here I am in my sixth year of retirement, and I still have dreams of being back in the classroom with students trying to pull something over on me. They rarely succeeded in real life because I circled my classroom constantly while teaching watching what my kids were doing, but in my dreams, I seem planted in the front of the room, and there's stuff going on all over I can't get to. Very frustrating.

Cillaliz

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 07:47:37 AM »

Good morning! I slept later than I planned, but that's ok, it's Saturday Morning...although I have no plans to go away with my friend...I do have plans to get coffee and go to the office for a few hours, so I better skedaddle....

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 07:53:56 AM »

I sympathize with you, DR Elmore. I had a bad dream last night, too, only mine was teaching-oriented.

I wonder if you're the teacher in the class that I can never seem to find in my dreams...the one I haven't attended all quarter and don't even know where it is but of course, I need it to graduate!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up