Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE APOSTROPHE  (Read 28726 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:THE APOSTROPHE
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2007, 07:56:14 AM »

A friend of mine has been searching for a long time for the soundtrack to Chinatown. It's available on Amazon...but only from  $79 for a used one, to $250!

Anyone have this on CD who might be able to *help*? I am usually against burning music CD's but when it's out of print...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2007, 08:01:51 AM »

OMG Edi, I've had that same dream several times about needing the course to graduate!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 08:05:11 AM »

My son is living that dream now; he needs one class that isn't offered.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Edisaurus

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2007, 08:07:25 AM »

OMG Edi, I've had that same dream several times about needing the course to graduate!

JRand would probably know, but I think this is one of the most common dreams. I stopped having it as much when I found my college diploma. I was already working on a film when graduation came around so they mailed me my diploma and I didn't have that sense of closure.

The dream is very detailed, although the details would always change. Didn't know where the class was, who taught it, hadn't read any of the course material---sometimes I'm already into my next stage of life, married and living in Atlanta but have to move back to Athens to finish this one course!

I like the recurring dream about finding a room in your house that you didn't know existed MUCH better!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2007, 08:08:31 AM »

Misplaced or unnecessary apostrophes are a pet peeve of mine.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 08:11:24 AM »

TOD: We took many trips around the country in our little campers. DR Sandra will say that they were not good trips, but the kids got to see a lot of the country that way.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 08:13:24 AM »

I wonder if you're the teacher in the class that I can never seem to find in my dreams...the one I haven't attended all quarter and don't even know where it is but of course, I need it to graduate!

So YOU'RE the person who belongs to that empty seat! It's room 109!

;D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »

A friend of mine has been searching for a long time for the soundtrack to Chinatown. It's available on Amazon...but only from  $79 for a used one, to $250!

Anyone have this on CD who might be able to *help*? I am usually against burning music CD's but when it's out of print...

I don't have it, but I do have the exact same philosophy. I don't think it's "cheating" or stealing to burn a CD for someone when the original is out of print.

Edisaurus

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »

So YOU'RE the person who belongs to that empty seat! It's room 109!;D

FINALLY! Now I can get a good night's sleep!

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »

That's very funny about the Mac not having an image capture program built in especially since it's so famous as a media computer.

My PC laptop came with a DVD watching program that contains a very easy to use image capture button. One mouse click and the paused image is captured, and another mouse click saves it to the hard drive.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:20:53 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:38 AM »

I guess I'll head down now and get some things organized before beginning lunch preparations and settling in with the Hardys.

Edisaurus

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2007, 08:36:33 AM »

Matt, I watched most of "Life After Tomorrow" last night and will finish it tonight. I really enjoyed it, and I know my producer friend will, too. That will be a real treat for her! Thanks again for sending it!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2007, 08:47:53 AM »

I hate to say that it's changed, but it has lost much of its regionality and personality to overdevelopment. Basically the powers that be want it to look like every other town in the US. There are still nice pockets to be found, and some of the redevelopment has been good!

(

Unfortunately, this has happend to so much of the US--the character and culture of each region has been lost. We used to travel to visit new places and see new things. Now the new places look very much like those we left.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2007, 08:49:14 AM »

EDISAURUS,
I replied to IM and your kind offer earlier in the week. Did you receive my reply?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2007, 09:05:33 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  One thing the insane wind has done - the sky is as clear blue as can be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »

Jrand, the Creature CD is the soundtrack to The Creature Wasn't Nice, which I've been discussing all week.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2007, 09:07:57 AM »

edisaurus, please send me an e-mail reminder about Chinatown - it was a Varese Sarabande CD (where I did the majority of my recordings) so of course I have it (I used to have many extras, but I've given them away over the years).  So, I'm happy to burn you a CD along with your Wonderful Guy CD and maybe even your Kritzer CD.  I still haven't gotten to Fed Ex to send the tapes - will do that first thing Monday morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »

I know I should jog - I know I should, but I may wait until tomorrow to resume.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2007, 09:40:03 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Well, it's 69 degrees right now in Central Park, and it's most likely gonna hit 70, so...

Welcome To Winter!

;D

*Although, actually, I sort of like winter.  And snow.  So... Ah, well.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2007, 09:41:57 AM »

It sounds like most of you are having an Arizona winter this year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2007, 09:42:38 AM »

Yesterday, the winds were really fierce.  Several power outages around the city (thankfully, none affected my area) and my backyard is a mass of leaves and debris.  I'm having to empty the little pool filter thing daily - normally I never have to .

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2007, 09:43:12 AM »

I like the idea of snow, not the reality.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2007, 09:51:19 AM »

The videos that I was expecting yesterday did not arrive so I think I will catch up on some DVD watching...perhaps RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE, 100 SPARTANS, and THE BEST OF EVERYTHING.

I have never seen 100 SPARTANS before but I like the cast: Richard Eagan, Barry Coe, Diane Baker, et el.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2007, 09:52:01 AM »

Now to  finish my cup of java and take Bosco on his morning stroll.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

This is an easy one.  My trip to Australia a couple of years ago.  Yes, it was for work, but I had plenty of time for play.  The trip started off on a very nice note: Business Class from LAX to Syndey!  And then I even got bumped up on my connecting from from Syndey to Gold Coast.  I had a very nice and roomy room at a wonderful resort hotel on the beach.  I ate well.  I drank well.  And I even had a wonderful birthday dinner while I was there.  OH! And I had even jumped off a 40-meter diving platform.  Twice!  Then it was over to Melbourne for a few days where were put up at The Crowne - basically a city within a city.  I ate well.  I drank well.  I even gambled well - $300 (AUS$) ahead!  Then the final stop was a couple of days in Sydney where I stayed in a hotel right under The Harbor Bridge.  And I even climbed The Harbor Bridge.  Again, I ate well.  I drank well.  Etc., etc., etc.

But beyond the scenery and amenities, it was the people I met along the way that truly made the trip very memorable.  I was on an audition tour with Universal Studios Japan, and I was the newbie in the group.  Their regular music person was not about to make the trip this time, so their casting director - who I used to work with at Disney - recommended me, and I got the gig.  Everyone with USJ was very nice and welcoming.  *And they loved buying drinks for the table.  ;)

And the many "natives" I came in contact with just could not have been nicer.  -I still remember being asked a few times if I would like my picture taken just because I happened to be walking around with a camera in my hand.  I felt like a tourist, but in the good sense.

And, truly, the highlight of the trip was meeting DR Tomovoz, his DP Colin and their DDs Magnus and Fosca.  While in Melbourne, I had the pleasure of heading out to their homestead for an overnight stay complete with homecooked meals, sparkling conversation, and tour of their backyard (which is much more than a backyard).  Tom even got me up close to a couple of kangaroos - and kangaroo poop.  ;)  Oh... And the Freddo Frogs!  *And I'm so glad I was able to see them again during the recent trip stateside.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:02:08 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2007, 10:03:40 AM »

...And after the two weeks in Australia, the audition tour continued stateside in New York City, Charlotte, Orlando, Chicago and Los Angeles.  And it was while in Los Angeles that I first met bk in person.  At Musso & Frank no less!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2007, 10:12:33 AM »

Or was that the second time I met bk?  Hmm... When was "Jeepers Creepers" recorded?  In any case, it was the first time I dined with bk.  And former DR Jay was also in attendance; in fact, he drove.  And DR MusicGuy was there too, iirc.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »

I've been writing the synopsis for The Brain - I really want to get all this stuff out of the way so I can get back to the book.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »

As for the graduation "dream"...

I would worry from time to time during my undergrad that I was not going to be allowed to graduate due to an error of sorts during my original application/registration process going into freshman year.  I was a music major, piano performance, but I never played an entrance audition.  I just applied and was accepted to the department.  And I even ended up with a very good teacher.  I'm still not sure how that happened, but it did.

And when it came to graduate, I was so afraid that that would come back to haunt me.  However, I was also worried that I had missed a class or two since I had taken a lot of extra classes/credits -  that somehow while taking all those extra electives, I had missed one of my required classes.  *I took my time to get my B.M. - 6 years, so I had a couple of semesters to take some "fun classes".

And then since I had post-poned my graduation recital by a semester, I ended up with two diplomas.  Apparently, I was qualified to graduate from the University without the recital, but the recital qualified me for the Music diploma.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:34:27 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »

Well, I believe, I'm gonna head out for a bit and take advantage of the unseasonably nice weather.  -Then I'll come back here and continue unpacking.  Yeah... That's the plan.  ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up