Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE APOSTROPHE  (Read 28737 times)

FJL

Re:THE APOSTROPHE
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2007, 10:39:32 AM »

And one for Melchior

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2007, 10:42:35 AM »

I wonder if you're the teacher in the class that I can never seem to find in my dreams...the one I haven't attended all quarter and don't even know where it is but of course, I need it to graduate!

If DR MattH were the teacher when I have dreams of a similar nature - and I do often - I'd have no anxiety; I'd relax, bring up a movie or musical and he'd give me an A!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2007, 10:42:52 AM »

I almost forgot about my trip to Vegas and L.A. a few years back, which started with the security guard at the airport memorably giving me an intensive search, such that I expected to at least have had dinner first. :)   But the trip got much better from there.

FJL

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2007, 10:44:38 AM »

It turned out it had been my belt setting off the alarm.  Since then I bring my belt in my carry-on and put it on once through security.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »

Misplaced or unnecessary apostrophes are a pet peeve of mine.
l'i'k'e  t'h'i's?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »

So YOU'RE the person who belongs to that empty seat! It's room 109!

;D
;D ;D ;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2007, 10:49:48 AM »

Global Warming:

Central Park, NYC

Then again:

Corvallis, Oregon  noon yesterday

Denver, Colorado

Watertown, Wisconsin

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »

EMAIL FROM A FRIEND:

Happy New Year!!  to All

As another year will shortly be a memory, my heartfelt appreciation goes out to all of you who have taken the time and trouble to send me "forwards" over the past 12 months. Thank you for making me feel safe, secure, blessed, and wealthy.

Extra thanks for the ones that I have to open 5 times to get to the message.

Special thanks to whoever sent me the one about rat crap in the glue on envelopes 'cause I now have to go get a wet towel every time I need to seal an envelope.

Also, I scrub the top of every can I open for the same reason. Because of your concern, I no longer drink Coca Cola because it can remove toilet stains.

I no longer drink Pepsi, or Dr Pepper, since the people who make these products are atheists who won't put "Under God" on their cans.

I no longer use Saran wrap in the microwave because it causes cancer.

I no longer check the coin return on pay phones because I could be pricked with a needle infected with AIDS.

I no longer use cancer-causing deodorants even though I smell like a water buffalo on a hot day.

I no longer go to shopping malls because someone might drug me with a perfume sample and rob me.

I no longer receive packages from, nor send packages by UPS, or Fed Ex, since they are actually Al Qaeda in disguise.

I no longer answer the phone, because someone will ask me to dial a number for which I will get a phone bill with calls to Jamaica, Uganda,Singapore, and Uzbekistan.

I no longer eat KFC, because their "chickens" are actually horrible mutant freaks with no eyes or feathers.

I no longer have any sneakers -- but that will change once I receive my free replacement pair from Nike.

I no longer have to buy expensive cookies from Neiman Marcus, since I now have their recipe.

I no longer worry about my soul, because at last count I have 363,214 angels looking out for me.

Thanks to you, I have learned that God only answers my prayers if I forward an e-mail to seven of my friends and make a wish within five minutes.

I no longer have any savings, because I gave it to a sick girl who is about to die in the hospital (for the 1,387,258th time)

I no longer have any money at all - but that will change once I receive the $15,000 that Microsoft and AOL are sending me for participating in their special email program.

Yes, I want to thank you so much for looking out for me that I will now return the favor!

If you don't send this e-mail to at least 144,000 people in the next 7 minutes, a large pigeon with a wicked case of diarrhea will land on your head at 5:00 PM (EDT) this afternoon. I know this will occur because it actually happened to a friend of mine's next door neighbor's ex-mother-in-law's second husband's cousin's beautician.

Have a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2007, 11:00:15 AM »

I wonder if you're the teacher in the class that I can never seem to find in my dreams...the one I haven't attended all quarter and don't even know where it is but of course, I need it to graduate!

Yep!  Ditto!  Me, too!

I've had this dream far too many times...and I remember several of them.

I'm in a panic because I've suddenly realized there's a class I signed up for that I absolutely MUST have to graduate.  

The dreams vary, but inevitably, I have a textbook for it, and a vague memory of sitting in the class getting an assignment, but I don't have any work done and I don't remember being in the class in a LONG time.

Mine involve my having to enter a multi-story building...probably built in the 1940s...and there are two front entrances....I can't figure out which entrance is closest to the classroom I need to find.

As I wander the halls, I realize I don't know which floor I'm supposed to be in.  Every class is in progress, but when I look in, I see a handful of students working and no teacher I can ask.  I turn a corner and dozens of classrooms loom ahead, but the hallway is dark.

I always wake up in a sweat.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2007, 11:00:30 AM »

I hate to say that it's changed, but it has lost much of its regionality and personality to overdevelopment.

Now, now,...it still has some rural charm:

Eleven-Hundred Pound 'Hogzilla' Killed in Georgia

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga.  —  A wild hog weighing eleven-hundred pounds, bigger than the near-mythical "Hogzilla" caught in rural south Georgia a few years ago, has been been shot and killed in a suburban neighborhood.

William Coursey, an avid hunter who shot the hog in a neighbor's yard in Fayette County in the suburbs south of Atlanta, had it hanging from a tree in his front yard.

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »

l'i'k'e  t'h'i's?

THIS is one that gets my teeth grinding"

"A place for everything and everything in its' place!"

(aughghghghgh!)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2007, 11:02:56 AM »

I could use a "hug" right now.

Guess I'll have to do it myself.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »

Crews Rescue at Least 6 After Avalanche Buries Cars in Colorado; Search Continues

Saturday , January 06, 2007
DENVER — Colorado highway officials say a massive avalanche buried several cars in Berthoud Pass about 60 miles west of Denver and sent other vehicles over the edge.

"Our crews said it was the largest they have ever seen. It took three paths," said Stacey Stegman, spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Transportation.

Crews have rescued at least six people, she said. They were probing the area for other survivors.

She said some cars were buried in the snow in an area called Stanley near Berthoud Falls between 10:00 and 10:30 a.m.

Berthoud Pass is the main route to Winter Park, one of Colorado's largest ski areas.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2007, 11:17:22 AM »

It's so pretty out that I decided to jog - the jog was surprisingly easy today, so maybe taking three days off every now and then isn't such a bad idea.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: INAMORATA!

Wasn't that the title of Iron Butterfly's second album?
[/i]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2007, 12:10:21 PM »

I just caught up with all the posts and before I can start posting myself, I get a call from my sister saying that she and my parents are coming over very soon to help move my furniture back into my house from the garage where I moved it when I got my new carpet installed.  Originally, they said that they'd be over at 1:00 and now they're coming early??  They never come early!  I haven't even taken a shower yet!  Anyway, when the living room's all done (that's all that we have to do), I can start getting stuff out of the storage unit and stop paying for it. :)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:10:53 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... As I was getting ready to head out earlier, I decided I just had to organize some of the "piles" in my room.  I just did not want to come back to all of that stuff later on.  So, after unpacking a few boxes, putting away some clothes, storing some CDs, organizing my accumulated mail... I believe I am set to head out now.  Guilt-free (almost).

And I think I may try my luck at TKTS tonight.  We'll see.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2007, 12:11:48 PM »

But before I go, yesterday, Matt H. wrote:
I really love the cast recording of JUNO. I think you will love it, too, DR George, if you've never heard it.

Well, it arrived yesterday!  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet...and probably won't today...but it's here. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »

DR RODZINSKI - said TCM last night was showing movies that featured actors who had or would play James Bond.  So we got Sean in THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY and  Roger in CROSSPLOT and Pierce in MARS ATTACKS!

I see, JRand. So it was satifying some sort of theme. Makes me feel a little better.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2007, 12:59:54 PM »

JRand would probably know, but I think this is one of the most common dreams. I stopped having it as much when I found my college diploma. I was already working on a film when graduation came around so they mailed me my diploma and I didn't have that sense of closure.

The dream is very detailed, although the details would always change. Didn't know where the class was, who taught it, hadn't read any of the course material---sometimes I'm already into my next stage of life, married and living in Atlanta but have to move back to Athens to finish this one course!

I wonder if we are ever in Athens at the same time. Trying to finish that ONE damn course!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2007, 01:03:46 PM »

If DR MattH were the teacher when I have dreams of a similar nature - and I do often - I'd have no anxiety; I'd relax, bring up a movie or musical and he'd give me an A!  

Unless the movie you brought up was pan and scan!

Students say Mr. H. is a big stickler for widescreen and hi-def formats :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:04:52 PM by Rodzinski »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2007, 01:08:10 PM »

INAMORATA-
Probably one of my top 20 vocal performances ever is Jerry Vale singing this song. Just incredible.

"Hold me close and say you're mine. With a love as warm as wine.
I'm at heaven's door, Inamorata. Want you even more, Inamorata.

You're a symphony, a very beautiful sonata, my Inamorata, say you are my sweetheart, my love."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:08:40 PM by Rodzinski »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »

BK, I'm wondering, yes, I'm wondering if what you found was some of the music from THE RATINGS GAME.

"Sitting pretty, thaaat's riiiiight!"

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2007, 01:12:02 PM »

A lot of places look like Atlanta now, it is true. But Atlanta had so much more beauty to begin with than a lot of places, so what has happened there really bothers me. Because there was no plan down there to preserve any land really, just build a subdivision anywhere, then when it gets congested, build a highway around it, and on and on... It happened so fast!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »

Rodzinski Frenzy!
I had to turn on the Christmas tree lights, rather than take the tree down today. Just so I could see a gleaming Christmas tree on a 70 degree January day.

FJL

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2007, 01:13:24 PM »

Just cleaned up and dusted a small corner of the bedroom, got lots of stuff done for the office, and found that Dayquil works wonders for a persistent cough.  A very productive day, as far as I'm concerned.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »

And yet I must stay in today, because my beloved Colts begin the playoffs today in just a few minutes.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2007, 01:15:10 PM »

DR Laura, it also bothered me to read about a new subdivision popping up on one of your usual nature walks.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2007, 01:15:57 PM »

Word just in that TPunk has passed her licensing exam that she was taking today. She is now an official, licensed social worker!!!

FJL

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »

If those guys reading your Playbill column knew you were a sports fan...I don't know what they'd do, but they'd do something.  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up