Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NECESSARY TIDBITS  (Read 66253 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NECESSARY TIDBITS
« on: January 14, 2007, 12:10:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had tidbits, and now it is time for you to post until the necessary cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:18:19 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NECESSARY TIDBITS
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:15:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: RIDENT!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:29:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: RIDENT!

Rident was a catholic brother who was the laugh of the party hoot of the Abbey . After canonization, his manner became harsher; he was, after all, StRident.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 12:32:14 AM »

Note to DRs without 40lbs of unabridged in their laps:

try HERE

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 12:35:28 AM »

What has Bosco been up to?

AP
Missing Tubby Tabby Returned to Owner

PORTLAND, Ore. (Jan. 12) - A 20-pound cat whose girth got him stuck in a pet door while trying to plunder some food was reunited with his owner Thursday.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 12:49:40 AM »

Robert Anton Wilson

Obituary: Sci-fi author wrote `The Illuminatus! Trilogy'
By Dennis Hevesi, New York Times
Long Beach Press Telegram

Robert Anton Wilson, an author of "The Illuminatus! Trilogy" - a mind-twisting science-fiction series about a secret global society that has been a cult classic for more than 30 years - died on Thursday at his home in Capitola. He was 74.

The author of 35 books on subjects like extrasensory perception, mental telepathy, metaphysics, paranormal experiences, conspiracy theory, sex, drugs and what he called quantum psychology, Wilson wrote the trilogy with his friend Robert J. Shea in the late 1960s, when both were editors at Playboy. The books - "The Eye in the Pyramid," "The Golden Apple" and "Leviathan" - were all published in 1975 by Dell Science Fiction. They never hit the best-seller lists, but have never gone out of print. Shea died in 1994.

Wilson contended that people should never rule out any possibility, including that lasagna might fly.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 12:58:40 AM »

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Contest ends in death by water intoxication

SACRAMENTO - A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

It was not immediately known how much water Strange consumed.

Initially, contestants were handed eight-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

"They were small little half-pint bottles, so we thought it was going to be easy," said fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland.

Ybarra said he quit after drinking five bottles. After he quit, he said, the remaining contestants, including Strange, were given even bigger bottles to drink.

Will water bottles now be required to have warning labels?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 01:51:35 AM »

GOOD GRIEF!

Australian Government Proposes Tax on Rainwater

Is air not far behind?

der Brucer

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 02:38:56 AM »

Well I have had a lovely day!

During the day I went to se Hunter S. Thompson's Gonzo, an art exhibit. I had hoped for wild and exciting, and got generic and what he probably figured was thought provoking. Pictures of his neighbors, wife, and people at the beach. From a man so interesting came the basics of his life and time: normality. Of course that is only my opinion.

I then went to see two Golden Globe nominated foreign films at the aero theater. this was ofcouse preceded
by shopping on Montana Ave.

Both movies were at least 2:30 mins. long, so by the time we got out it was nearly 1:30 and freezing!

The first film, Letters from Iwo Jima was fascinating and well done, but I was not as amazed as everyone swore it would be. I was very much what I expected of it's type of film. Clint Eastwood was not able to come to the screening.

After a 15 min. Intermission, half the crowd had left
(around 200 people stayed though) for the second picture. This time the director had come, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, a very interesting and energetic man. With him was one of the stars of the picture, the attractive and talented Sebastian Koch.

The Lives of Others is an amazing picture! It concerns the East German Stasi in the mid 1980's spying on it's own citizens. Although  the plot is slightly predictable, It has sweet moments and surprises and characters to love and hate and wonderful acting. The director said that a key element in making the picture as good as it was rested on the crew, many of whom had personal and intense experiences with the Stasi in that time (only in 1989 did the Wall come down! I was one!). I highly recommend this movie to everyone!!!!!!!!

It is now late and I shall join everyone who is sleeping in dreamland.

"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Michael

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 03:39:01 AM »

Today I plan to go to a movie in the cinema. Don't know which one but I am going
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 06:37:34 AM »

GOOD GRIEF!
Is air not far behind?
[/quote

I think the Beatles wrote a song about this...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 06:49:59 AM »

I haven't seen Joyeux Noel, but I like the film "A Midnight Clear", which has a similar "Christmas truce" storyline, but taking place in Germany during WWII. It has a good cast: Gary Sinese, Ethan Hawke, Arye Gross and is based on a William Wharton novel. (Apparently he served in Germany in WWII.) I saw it at Sundance when we premiered our film there and it was one of the best things I saw. I'd like to see it again to see if it still holds up or if it just refreshing because I'd seen so many other bad movies!

My favorite film at the festival that year was "Truly, Madly, Deeply". The co-worker who was mentioned yesterday as being a big AR fan would love this if she hasn't seen it!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 06:54:43 AM »

Good morning, all!  I am listening to Haydn's "Mass In Time Of War" and pondering todays NY Times topic on the military's taking control of this country.  This and DR Cillaliz' post on the government's unhappiness with detainees' attorneys are frightening and most unseemly.

From 21st Century to 18th Century France, I'm reading a wonderful biography of Madame du Pompadour, and it only reinforces my impression of the court of Louis XV from Antonia Fraser's bio of Marie-Antoinette: too much liesure, too much idiocy, too much luxury. Pompadour's rise from the bourgeoisie to a royal marriage giving her the status to become a royal mistress is an interesting social history as well.  The fact that she held the title and position until her death in a court of vipers and intrigue is alone enough to show what an intelligent woman she was.  I highly recommend it.  Many of the dumb whores in our society could do well to follow Pompadour's survival skills.

Today, BABES reports and DVDs, not sure what yet.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 06:59:58 AM »

Sunday morning greetings.  This morning's newspaper carried the expected news of the passing of a longtime acquaintance.  She fought hard against ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and would have had her 62nd birthday later this month.  DR Elmore, did you get my email?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 07:10:14 AM »

Good morning!

Partly cloudy skies here, but there is also blue sky to be seen. Supposedly, we're going to get near 70 again today. It didn't get very cold last night either. I never heard the heat kick on, and I got warmer in the bed than usual during January.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 07:12:48 AM »

Well, #1 on my to-watch list today is the 1929 RIO RITA which came on at 6 a.m. this morning on TCM. When I got up, I saw the DVR in record mode, so I'm assuming it captured it. To take no chances, I also set the hard drive in my DVD recorder to pick up the broadcast, too, so I'd have two sources to go to for my first foray into this film.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 07:14:40 AM »

Tonight, of course, is the two hour season premiere of the Emmy-winning '24' as well as the return to prime time of CROSSING JORDAN.

ROME and EXTRAS start up again tonight on HBO, and all of the usual suspects on Sunday (DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, BROTHERS & SISTERS, the CBS procedurals) all feature new episodes tonight, too.

An enormous amount of new programming on display tonight!

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 07:16:34 AM »

We never got the rain that the forecasters predicted was coming to us, so today looks like it's going to be rain-free as well. Seems like the next rain isn't scheduled to get here until Thursday or Friday.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 07:18:19 AM »

...My favorite film at the festival that year was "Truly, Madly, Deeply". The co-worker who was mentioned yesterday as being a big AR fan would love this if she hasn't seen it!

DR Edisaurus, oh, yes, she's seen it!  Here's the website she maintains, to give you an idea of how fond she is of AR:

The AR Fan's Lifetime Reading Plan
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 07:19:52 AM »

Sunday morning greetings.  This morning's newspaper carried the expected news of the passing of a longtime acquaintance.  She fought hard against ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and would have had her 62nd birthday later this month.  DR Elmore, did you get my email?

DR Ginny, thanks for sending the obituary. Did you get my reply?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 07:22:58 AM »

DR Ginny, thanks for sending the obituary. Did you get my reply?

I did, and you should be receiving a response from me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 07:24:18 AM »

Sunday sweet sunday.

Loved all the BRAIN pictures yesterday, and I am patiently (not) awaiting the release of the Cast CD!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 07:25:32 AM »

Working again today.  

And writing the news release for the FUNDRAISER for the new building at Putnam County Playhouse....

Rehearsal for the Fundraiser on Tuesday evening and there are problems already, hopefully they will be solved tomorrow.

I did 13 15-minute readings yesterday, hopefully today will be a little slower!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 07:25:45 AM »

See you after work!

Oh....the Colts won!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 07:38:26 AM »

Business meetings today. Great fun. I wonder if someone will say "postmodern" again.

It is a running gag with our family. Our minister loves that phrase and can use it six times in a  sermon. We play the drinking game with our coffee back in the sound booth.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 07:59:18 AM »

I have some things I need to tend to before beginning laundry and then lunch preparation.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 08:52:01 AM »

Oh....the Colts won!

With your "reading" skills, I would have expected this post yesterday morning.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »

Well, you won't believe it - I can barely believe it myself but I must for it is true.  I woke up, turned on Ye Olde Laptop, then went into the bathroom to shave.  I turned on the hot water.  No hot water.  I turned on the cold water.  No cold water.  I went to the kitchen.  I turned on the water.  No water.  I went to the other bathroom and turned on the water.  No water.  I called the DWP hot line.  Apparently, they have received many calls reporting no water.  Their response?  The water in the pipes has frozen because of the cold weather we've been having.  When it heats up, then we'll have water.  What kind of idiots are these?  We're not exactly New York here.  It's not that big a deal right now, but it will be later.  I've been on hold for fifteen minutes trying to get an ETA - they say they will come out if necessary, but later (they're hoping it will unfreeze on its own.  This city just falls apart when it's too hot or too cold or too much rain.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 08:54:21 AM »

It's a good thing this didn't happen yesterday - or she of the Evil Eye would have not been able to do anything.  Everything was working fine last night.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 08:55:59 AM »

I wonder if someone will say "postmodern" again.

It is a running gag with our family. Our minister loves that phrase and can use it six times in a  sermon.

Does he ever use it in the same sentence as "underpants'?

der Brucer

Of couse a post-modernist would probably say "undergarments".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up