Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TGIS  (Read 61890 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TGIS
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2007, 07:23:31 AM »

I'll have to remember to catch MIRACLE IN MILAN. From the descriptions, it sounds wonderful. I've obviously never seen it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2007, 07:25:46 AM »

Page Three The Beast Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2007, 07:27:50 AM »

Favorite French Films: (That's FFF!)

THE LAST METRO

DAY FOR NIGHT

M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY

THE BICYCLE THIEF

GRAND ILLUSION

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2007, 07:34:56 AM »

I finally "broke down" and bought the CHARLIE CHAN Vol. 2 boxed set. As much as I enjoyed the first one, it seems Fox got greedy and priced this one a bit higher than I wanted to pay. Yesterday, Amazon offered it in my "Gold Box" for a couple of dollars cheaper, so I sprang for it.

BTW, of all the studios, I think Fox has in some ways treated its consumers rather shabbily. Yes, their Studio Classics on DVD were priced very attractively, and so were the Noirs.

But from the dawn of laserdisc, they have quite often put a high premium price on their wares, they were notoriously slow to begin using anamorphic enhancement with their DVDs, their boxed sets are usually much more expensive than similar sized sets from Warners or Universal (see that Jayne Mansfield Collection), and now their Blu-ray discs are FAR more expensive than any other studio's prices.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2007, 07:47:52 AM »

Favorite French Films: (That's FFF!)

THE LAST METRO

DAY FOR NIGHT

M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY

THE BICYCLE THIEF

GRAND ILLUSION

I saw THE BICYCLE THIEF in college, along with MIRACLE IN MILAN.  Isn't THE BICYCLE THIEF Italian, too?  I still remember walking out of the theatre dazed after JULIET OF THE SPIRITS, because I didn't know what the hell it was!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2007, 07:53:47 AM »

Hi, Elmo. Howz yer dad?
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2007, 07:54:15 AM »

TOD - Parapluies de Cherbourg and Jules et Jim
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2007, 07:59:04 AM »

Oh, and a strange little film I saw years ago... Claire's Knee.
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2007, 08:15:01 AM »

Hi, Elmo. Howz yer dad?

Hello, DR PennyO!  He seems stable and coping well.  I'll give him a couple of days for his body to get over the shock of being pierced and check in on him tomorrow.

Here he is with his great-grandson Chase last March after the surgery.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2007, 08:20:54 AM »

I saw THE BICYCLE THIEF in college, along with MIRACLE IN MILAN.  Isn't THE BICYCLE THIEF Italian, too?  I still remember walking out of the theatre dazed after JULIET OF THE SPIRITS, because I didn't know what the hell it was!

Of course it is! I had temporary insanity. I meant to type THE 400 BLOWS. Just goes to show what happens when your mind is on something else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2007, 08:27:05 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Cloudy, but the blue sky is trying to peek through.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2007, 08:27:57 AM »

Forgot my Lelouch films, of which my fave is probably La Bonne Annee (Happy New Year), also starring the wonderful Lino Ventura.  I also love Claire's Knee by Eric Rohmer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2007, 08:39:23 AM »

No posts in seven minutes?  Where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2007, 08:39:36 AM »

Will we never get to page four?

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2007, 08:41:42 AM »

I'm heading down now to check the mail and then start fixing lunch.

WBBL.

Michael

« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2007, 08:43:31 AM »

How did I forget
beauty and the beast
diabiloque
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2007, 08:47:12 AM »

I used to make macrame plant holders...didn't everyone have those at one time?

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2007, 08:49:15 AM »

The paper had a bigger story about my client today. Here it is....
Miami man sentenced to prison on weapons charges
By Nick Hytrek Journal staff writer

Even if it is hard to understand a man's hobby or beliefs, those personal qualities can't be held against him when considering an appropriate sentence, U.S. District Judge Mark W. Bennett said Friday.

So even though James Parsons owned a vast collection of firearms and what Bennett called "right-wing nut literature," the judge said there was nothing in the record to suggest the retired chiropractor from Miami was a violent man.

"Why he's so interested in guns is beyond me, but then I'm not a gun person," Bennett said. "There's no evidence other than this individual was a collector.

"This defendant has never engaged in a violent act that's on the record."

Citing a criminal record that included only an alcohol offense in 1958, Bennett departed from federal sentencing guidelines and sentenced Parsons to 12 months and one day in prison for one count each of possession of a machine gun and possession of a destructive device. He gave Parsons credit for six months already spent in custody and said that with good behavior, Parsons would likely be out of prison in four months.

He had faced a potential sentence of 30-37 months in prison.

Parsons, 67, was arrested July 20 after officers who stopped his moving van on Interstate 29 near Sergeant Bluff found three World War II-era machine guns -- none of which was registered -- and three hand grenades inside. Another 80 rifles and handguns, plus ammunition, black powder and books about explosives -- all legal items -- were found in the truck. Parsons told officers he had retired and was moving to Montana.

Federal agents also found weapons, ammunition, a rat trap rigged to fire two shotgun shells and a bullet-proof vest in Parsons' Miami home.

With all those weapons, Parsons was a man capable of violence who appeared ready to defend his home in Montana by any means necessary, prosecutors said.

Parsons is not a violent person, said two longtime friends who testified Friday.

"I have known this man for 20 years. I've never had the least bit of indication that James was a violent person," said Kenneth Loveland, a former Miami-Dade County Sheriff's officer who said he has attended several gun shows and shooting events with Parsons.

With his conviction, Parsons will not be allowed to own firearms. The future of his firearms seized in July remains uncertain.

Bennett granted Parsons' request to release the legal firearms -- some of them valuable collector's items -- to a friend to be sold, but automatically stayed his decision so that the weapons would not be disposed of before federal prosecutors could appeal his ruling.

If Bennett's ruling is overturned, the government would retain possession and likely destroy the firearms.

The machine guns and hand grenades will remain in government possession and likely be destroyed.

Nick Hytrek can be reached at 712-293-4226 or nickhytrek@siouxcityjournal.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2007, 09:15:15 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the theater for our two shows, after which I shall return to tell you all about it.

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »

Saturday greetings!  It's cold and sunny here in SW Ohio today, perfect for the stock-up shopping trip DH Richard and I have planned .  We're going to Sam's Club and Kroger, with a dinner date at City Barbecue in between.  Snowstorm predicted for tomorrow.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2007, 09:21:18 AM »

I better get going. We have a snow storm predicted for later tonight and into tomorrow.  I have errands to run and some work to do at the office. I still want to catch the movie The Queen, but we'll see how the day progresses, I may have to do that some other night this week

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »

I better get going. We have a snow storm predicted for later tonight and into tomorrow.  I have errands to run and some work to do at the office. I still want to catch the movie The Queen, but we'll see how the day progresses, I may have to do that some other night this week

DR Cillaliz - I hope you do get to see The Queen - DR Elmore and I enjoyed it very much last summer here in Ohio.  Sounds like the weather you're expecting tonight is headed our way tomorrow.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2007, 09:26:53 AM »

I have seen very few French films in my lifetime...ALPHAVILLE is the only one that comes to mind and I saw that when I was in Jr. High School...however, I have added a few of the films the BK had recommended to me Netflix queue and I have EYES WITHOUT A FACE sitting on my DVR, unwatched.

Ginny

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »

I suspected someone(s) here, especially DR Jose, would offer some insights about the Mozart chocolates.  There are 2 local places where I might find some:

Dorothy Lane Market

and

Jungle Jim's

DLM is more doable for me, because their 3 locations are between home and work.  Jungle Jim's is more of an excursion - closer to home, but in an inconvenient direction.  Did anyone see the coverage of JJ's on Good Morning, America this week?

Of course, DR Jose, I hadn't even thought of CVS  ;) !

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2007, 09:40:55 AM »

TOD - I have nothing sophisticated to contribute.  When our son was very little, though, one of his favorite videos was Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown.  He watched it over and over and over and over and...well, you get the idea.  We just started referring to it as "France."

Miss Karen

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2007, 09:44:17 AM »

I'll attempt to do my part to get us to page 4....It must be a fluke -- are you actually on again when I am, DR Elmo? !  How's life in the Big Apple?

Miss Karen

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2007, 09:56:36 AM »

I won't be much help on the French films -- I could appreciate their artistic merit but could never figure what the hell was going on.  I got a kick out of the ones from the 60s and 70s -- that one that had a band and a circus tent and then some mime or clown on a beach holding a balloon and then he walks up for a close-up, looking sad (maybe even crying) then let the balloon go up into the sky as someone on a bicyle rides by -- or something like that. That isn't what they call fellini-esque, is it?  Anyway, I'd better leave today's topic of discussion to you French film experts ...

Miss Karen

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »

Dang! DR Elmo, you're like an illusive web nympth (not the beautiful myhtological woman definition, but the baby insect definition) flitting on and off the screen.  I'll try to catch you later -- once again.  Hope you all get to do the page 4 dance soon. Bon Voyage (or whatever the French say when they leave) -- or pretend I'm a mime who has just released the balloon and I slowly walk off into the horizon of the beach as the camera pulls back into a long shot and then some little guy on a bike crosses in front of the frame....Fini!

Miss Karen

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »

I need to hire a typist -- mythological-- nymph - but maybe DR Elmo is a flitting myhtological nympth, too..... Maybe this post will get us to page 4.  This time I really mean it -- FINI !

Miss Karen

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2007, 10:40:10 AM »

argggh -- did I mention I can't spell, either?  Of course, I meant "elusive" nymph -- although DR Elmo may be illusive, too...I'll slow down my typing and keep a dictionary handy for future postings...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up